Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
We Owe $45 Billion On Our Credit Cards (Read 2691 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
We Owe $45 Billion On Our Credit Cards
Jul 4th, 2018 at 6:54am

We owe $45 billion on our credit cards and it's not getting better   Sad

4 July 2018
Canberra Times

As the nation's credit card balance heads towards $50 billion, the corporate regulator has warned that tighter rules are needed over who can get one with almost one-in-five card holders already struggling to cope with their debt.   Sad

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) will release a major review of the credit card market on Wednesday which finds almost 2 million people - or 18.5 per cent of card holders - exhibit at least one "problematic debt indicator" such as being in arrears on their repayments or never being able to clear the debt.

They can be a 'debt trap' for many of these cardholders, the regulator said, noting that 12.3 million Australians have at least one credit card.

Peter Kell, ASIC's deputy chairman, said only a handful of credit providers take proactive steps to address persistent debt, low repayments or poorly suited credit cards and more action would be needed.

"There are a number of failures by lenders to act in the interests of consumers and we expect them to respond swiftly to our findings," Mr Kell said.

"We will be following up to ensure the problems we have identified are addressed."

ASIC proposed the establishment of responsible lending assessments for credit cards be based on whether the consumer can afford to repay the credit limit within three years.

There's a trap with it, if you don't stop using the first credit card, you'll end up doubling the debt.

The purpose of the proposed reform is to make sure that consumers can afford to repay their credit card debts within a reasonable period.

The new reform would apply to to both new and existing credit card contracts from January 1, 2019. ASIC will make a final decision about the proposed three-year period following an industry consultation process, which ends on July 31 this year.

The report takes aim at balance transfer cards for keeping some consumers in constant debt and is proposing consumer's capacity to repay credit card debt be assessed by lenders before issuing a card to a consumer.

Balance transfer cards are where a balance from another card is transferred to new 'balance transfer' card where there is no interest on the debt that is transferred for periods of up to two years.

It is only interest free on the original transferred debt. Any transferred debt not paid off in full by the end of the zero interest period, as well as new purchases, will attract a high rate of interest.

David Welch, from the Latrobe Valley in Victoria, had a credit card debt with a big bank five years ago that he transferred to a card with another major bank with an interest-free period of 12 months.

"It was temporary financial relief. It solved a short-term problem, but created a long-term one," the 58-year-old manager of a welfare agency said.  He now owes about $33,000 across both of his cards, or about twice the original debt.

"There's a trap with it, if you don't stop using the first credit card, you'll end up doubling the debt," he said.   

Law firm Slater and Gordon is investigating the potential for a class action with more than 100,000 customers duped into paying over $40 million for "worthless" credit card insurance.

He plans to pay-off this debt gradually, using windfalls like tax-return refunds and to moderate his spending.

"I think that checks on capacity to repay should be more stringent, and greater stringency on how you can get credit cards and what you can do with them. Back then it was too easy to apply online and get them," he said.

Consumer advocates have long pointed out that some of these cards have annual fees and those that don't tend to have a'balance transfer' fee that can be as much as 3 per cent of the debt transferred, which can be a real sting if thousands of dollars are transferred.

An interest-free card with a high annual fee could actually end up being more expensive over the long-term than a card with a low-rate and no annual fee.

ASIC said while many consumers reduce their credit card debt during the transfer card's promotional period of zero or low interest rates it finds it "concerning" that more than 30 per cent of consumers increase their debt by 10 per cent or more after transferring a balance.

Australians pay more than $5 billion a year in interest on credit-card debt of which the regulator estimates $621 million in interest would have been saved in 2016–17 if they had carried their balance on a card with a lower interest rate.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: We Owe $45 Billion On Our Credit Cards
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 9:06am

Not me....  not a cent.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 9:11am

This isnt new. whats the answer? Perhaps not paying ppl less?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 10:17am

Excusing people with medical emergencies and the like, the problem for most of these people has to be a lack of financial literacy.

I was taught from an early age that you only spend on a credit card what you can afford to pay off every month. Yet I know heaps of people who pay ahead for furniture, holidays, cars...and end up paying thousands in interest. Some of these people who stress over their credit card debts are earning close to $200k

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:02am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 9:11am:
This isnt new. whats the answer? Perhaps not paying ppl less?

Spot

Indeed.

Cutting penalty rates isn't going to help.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:37am

I don't owe anything on my credit cards

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:39am

any debt is grim....and credit card is soooooo easy... you forget its money you dont have,..but expect!

we take so much for granted today....overtime/penalty rates/paid holidays/ stand by money/  yes we all live up to expecting that to go on forever.....

today you can be earning a comfortable $1500 a week....  next week  it all comes crashing in.....poo happens...accidents illness happens.....and life goes upsidedown in a flash... Sad

we didnt have govt handouts  and we saved for a rainy day...oh and btw   we went without.... Roll Eyes..

I think most people did  before the advent of credit cards...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:40am

Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:37am:

I have been here a long time and NEVER OWNED ONE...

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:41am

Never touched a credit card in all my life until a year ago when I needed to renew my British passport which could only be done online and paid for with a card.

Got myself a Visa 'Load & Go' (which is really a debit rather than credit) card from Australia Post which cost me about $7 from memory and you load it up with funds (up to $1000) as you need to. No ongoing fees and no interest charges.

Other than that, you can use it exactly the same as a normal Visa credit card. I've been using it to buy things from Amazon and other places over the past 12 months.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:44am

The only reason i have a credit card is because they wouldnt give me a debit card back when i needed some money. They would rather give me credit. I wanted a debit card because you can use them like a credit card to pay big bills. Nope have to have credit.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:46am

Carl D wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:41am:
Never touched a credit card in all my life until a year ago when I needed to renew my British passport which could only be done online and paid for with a card.

Got myself a Visa 'Load & Go' (which is really a debit rather than credit) card from Australia Post which cost me about $7 from memory and you load it up with funds (up to $1000) as you need to. No ongoing fees and no interest charges.

Other than that, you can use it exactly the same as a normal Visa credit card. I've been using it to buy things from Amazon and other places over the past 12 months.

yes but thats for people who have the money before they shop....lol..

btw I had one of those Post Office things...so I didnt give any Bank details away...

however  I used it once only after I  put $100 on it....spent $50...then forgot about it...rarely buy on line...when I went to use it again  the use by date had expired..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

yeah they never told me about the use by date.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes... somehow I always ,lose.. Grin Grin

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:52am

cods wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:40am:
Baronvonrort wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:37am:

I have been here a long time and NEVER OWNED ONE...

They're handy for paying bills and buying stuff online.

A debit card can be used for this as well as name implies you need to have money in debit card account before you can spend it.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #12 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 12:06pm

cods wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 11:46am:
however  I used it once only after I  put $100 on it....spent $50...then forgot about it...rarely buy on line...when I went to use it again  the use by date had expired..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

yeah they never told me about the use by date.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes... somehow I always ,lose.. Grin Grin

Hi, Cods.

Actually, you've just reminded me... I'm sure I read somewhere (probably in the Terms & Conditions) that when these Load & Go Visa cards from Australia post expire you lose any money you still have on the card?

Doesn't seem right to me and I did ask someone at Australia Post about it a few months back and they said no - that isn't right, you get issued with a new card when the old one expires with the old card's balance transferred to the new one.

I'll have to check again because if you do lose any remaining money left on the card when it expires I need to spend it before that happens or transfer it to my bank account (if I can do that). At least my card doesn't expire for another 12 months.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 12:11pm

Carl D wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 12:06pm:

Hi, Cods.

Actually, you've just reminded me... I'm sure I read somewhere (probably in the Terms & Conditions) that when these Load & Go Visa cards from Australia post expire you lose any money you still have on the card?

Doesn't seem right to me and I did ask someone at Australia Post about it a few months back and they said no - that isn't right, you get issued with a new card when the old one expires with the old card's balance transferred to the new one.

I'll have to check again because if you do lose any remaining money left on the card when it expires I need to spend it before that happens or transfer it to my bank account (if I can do that). At least my card doesn't expire for another 12 months.

"Load&Go Reloadable Visa Prepaid Cards and Load&Go Travel Cards expire 3 years from the date they are produced (not the date they are sold).

"The expiry date is printed on the front of the card and on the back of its packaging."

https://auspost.com.au/money-insurance/make-payments/explore-online-payment-alte...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 1:23pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 12:11pm:
Carl D wrote on Jul 4th, 2018 at 12:06pm:

Hi, Cods.

"Load&Go Reloadable Visa Prepaid Cards and Load&Go Travel Cards expire 3 years from the date they are produced (not the date they are sold).

"The expiry date is printed on the front of the card and on the back of its packaging."

https://auspost.com.au/money-insurance/make-payments/explore-online-payment-alte...

I have no doubt it is.... the trouble was.. I wasnt expecting MY MONEY TO HAVE A USE BY DATE...thats all..

it never occured to me.....of course if you renew the card the money will get trf   however I am sure it would need to be within the date....

I also have a bank account with almost zero in  it...about $35  I received a  message from the credit union  telling me as this account hadnt been used for 3 years  the money would be sent to the govt...by such and such a date   I quickly put money in it....and need to every year.. just so they keep their grubby little hands off it...

wouldnt it be nice if these cards also gave out a warning  you are about to lose the funds....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print