Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Shorten the big plunge begins - NewsPol (Read 13202 times)
red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Shorten the big plunge begins - NewsPol
Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:27am

The Turnbull government has seized on a poll showing almost half of all voters would prefer someone other than Bill Shorten to lead the Labor Party.

"This is going to be a very bleak year for Bill Shorten - unfortunately the public have found him out," cabinet minister Christopher Pyne told ABC radio on Monday.

Mr Pyne was responding to the first Newspoll of the year showing Tanya Plibersek (25 per cent) is the preferred Labor leader among all voters closely followed by Anthony Albanese (24 per cent) with Mr Shorten on 22 per cent.

Among Labor voters, Mr Shorten was a clear choice with 37 per cent backing him over Ms Plibersek (27 per cent) and Mr Albanese (23 per cent).

Senior Labor frontbencher Tony Burke believes Mr Shorten will lead Labor to the next election.

"We don't want to go back to the days, which the Liberal Party are still in, of constant leadership change and speculation," he said.

His colleague Stephen Jones saw a silver lining in the preferred leader results: "Isn't it good to be a member of a party where we've got such a talented frontbench that everybody's looking at it and saying, 'Geez, you're all doing an outstanding job, there's so many of you who are popular within the electorate'."

And health spokeswoman Catherine King - who joined Mr Shorten at the weekend to announce Labor's new policy to limit private health insurance price hikes - denied the leader was having trouble getting his message through to voters.

"We've got a long way to go before this year is out and the election is out," she told reporters in Canberra.

The Newspoll also showed Malcolm Turnbull stretch his lead over Mr Shorten, 45-31 per cent, as preferred prime minister.

*** How long will it be before Labor 'gets it'.. Shorten cannot win the next election. Anthony Albanese would give it a red hot go and if Labor don't replace Shorten immediately, they might as well consign themselves to another term on the Opposition benches

Frankly - Shorten smells like limburger cheese...Red Baron

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Shorten the big plunge begins - NewsPol
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:38am

Don't get your hopes up. The Coalition haven't been ahead in a single Newspoll for nearly two years and that's not likely to end any time soon.

All that push polling on party leadership shows is that Labor have three people who can realistically lead them to an election win, the Coalition have nobody. Turnbull's the preferred Liberal leader, and what's that bought them? 26 bad Newspolls in a row, and ahead in about 3 opinion polls from all pollsters in the last 100. If you want to see leadership troubles, wait until after the next election and Turnbull's inevitable resignation as leader after the Coalition loses, and the Libs go through their usual 3 or 4 leaders in the first term of Opposition.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:58am

You think Bam?

I have always held the view that Bill Shorten is a One Trick  Pony

He has been discovered for what he is...a lightweight ex Union Boss who is way out of his depth when it comes to ability

His performance in Parliament has been underwhelming, along with is inability to sell what Labor is promoting

Frankly I don't know what the hell Labor's BIG PLAN for Australia is..Don't think they have one

Shorten just continues to react to so called Liberal stumbles

It's going to take a lot more than that for Australia to vote Labor in

Australians have big memories and the last Labor Government was a rout and a shambles

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 12:30pm

red baron wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:58am:
Frankly I don't know what the hell Labor's BIG PLAN for Australia is..Don't think they have one

You must have missed Shorten's speech at the Press Club last week. How could you not know that he's planning to introduce an anti-corruption commission or that he's putting the private health industry on notice for charging too much?

Australia cannot afford another term of the Coalition and their crony corruption. We need a change of government and we need it now.

Don't underestimate Shorten. I would rather have a leader that gets things done in office than a charismatic do-nothing weakling like Turnbull.

Who played a prominent leadership role when rescuing mine workers from a mine collapse in Tasmania in 2006? Shorten. Where was the Howard government at that time? Nowhere to be seen.

What did Turnbull do? He drove HIH into the ground and sent millions of dollars offshore into tax havens. Is that really someone you want leading this country? I don't.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 12:33pm

Bam wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:38am:
Don't get your hopes up. The Coalition haven't been ahead in a single Newspoll for nearly two years and that's not likely to end any time soon.

All that push polling on party leadership shows is that Labor have three people who can realistically lead them to an election win, the Coalition have nobody. Turnbull's the preferred Liberal leader, and what's that bought them? 26 bad Newspolls in a row, and ahead in about 3 opinion polls from all pollsters in the last 100. If you want to see leadership troubles, wait until after the next election and Turnbull's inevitable resignation as leader after the Coalition loses, and the Libs go through their usual 3 or 4 leaders in the first term of Opposition.

The Govt is on the nose and Labor is only a smidge ahead in the pols and Shorty is  behind in preferred PM.

What does that tell you?

IBI

IP Logged

Roger Walker

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 1:07pm

There is only one Poll that counts ...

Nobody cares about who is "in Parliament" until they have to vote ...

People are more interested in what their neighbours are doing.  Wink

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm

There's a long way to go before Shorten and the ALP is not a threat at the next election.
Preferred PM does not have much bearing on that outcome BTW.

Hell I might even vote for them.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:14pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm:
There's a long way to go before Shorten and the ALP is not a threat at the next election.

The thing is, Labor should be romping it in with the polls right now and it's so obvious Shorten is disliked.

Labor will probably win the election with or without him but the problem is, 5 minutes after the very short honeymoon is over (and they're getting shorter and shorter these days) and they'll be looking to knife him.

IBI

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:22pm

Only 1 electorate votes for Shorten
If he loses he's out they vote in a new leader probably Albanese... 

But, I don't think he's so unpopular in his electorate.

Howard was disliked...  yet won... Roll Eyes

I don't like Shorten and his dishonesty...  yet the ALP is full of that these days.

Then so too are the Libs...
Turnbull undermined Abbott and had him defeated in a spill...  Turnbull is unlikely to get a turnaround before he beats Abbott's record in bad polls.
Turnbull is a Wet, a progressive and is unpopular with much of his Conservative base.

If the ALP have good policies I'll vote for them.
I'll vote for whoever I think has the best policies for Australia and Australians.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:31pm

Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:22pm:

I don't like Shorten and his dishonesty...  yet the ALP is full of that these days.

Turnbull undermined Abbott and had him defeated in a spill...  Turnbull is unlikely to get a turnaround before he beats Abbott's record in bad polls.
Turnbull is a Wet, a progressive and is unpopular with much of his Conservative base.

I'll vote for whoever I think has the best policies for Australia and Australians.

I think the public can see right thru Shorten. His moral compass is set by licking his finger and holding it in the wind.

Here's my prediction, he'll win the election and after 18 months the polls will be dire and he'll get knifed.

Howard was unliked but he won because it was cyclically time for Labor to get booted

IBI

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:35pm

After Bennelong expressed their revulsion and abhorrence for the lying little union puppet Bull S. and his dredged up Eddie Obeid's girl Bull S.'s slide downhill has been accelerating as he is now seen as a toxic pariah and stinks to hi Heavens all over Australia.

His "speech" to the press club was just piling lies on bulldust. Standard crap from Bull S. who couldn't lie straight in bed.

If Labor loses Batman to the abhorrent Greenies this will be a further nail in the coffin.

Mal of course is delighted but he knows he must be careful in case the corrupt unions kick Bull S. out and so Mal is carefully orchestrating NewsPoll to keep giving completely ridiculous "boosts" to Bull S..

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:46pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:31pm:

I think the public can see right thru Shorten. His moral compass is set by licking his finger and holding it in the wind.

Here's my prediction, he'll win the election and after 18 months the polls will be dire and he'll get knifed.

Howard was unliked but he won because it was cyclically time for Labor to get booted

It is cyclically time for the Coalition to get booted. They have been in government for 14 of the last 22 years, no good case can be made for their re-election and their time is clearly done. We simply cannot afford another three years of Coalition government. Costs are rising too much and dumb Coalition laws are forcing wages down too low.

Shorten could well turn out to be like Howard - a decent leader who comes into his own as PM. They're more alike than some would care to admit.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:48pm

So the libs are ahead in the polls juliar and dickhead?

MMmmm  ?

No .....They are still behind ?

FFS I thought they were shoe ins!

Dreamers it seems!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:31pm:

Labor were already booted...

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:54pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:14pm:
Grendel wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:12pm:

The thing is, Labor should be romping it in with the polls right now and it's so obvious Shorten is disliked.

Labor will probably win the election with or without him but the problem is, 5 minutes after the very short honeymoon is over (and they're getting shorter and shorter these days) and they'll be looking to knife him.

That is wishful thinking. Abbott had virtually no honeymoon at all because he was simply a bad leader. Turnbull managed to keep his going for just long enough to eke out a 1-seat majority at the election, but after the election he was losing Newspolls within weeks. Gillard didn't enjoy much of one either because she knifed Rudd.

Shorten cannot possibly be as bad as the Coalition is right now. He will have some kind of honeymoon if he wins. It all depends what he does in the first 100 days.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12
Send Topic Print