Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I do worry about our Universites (Read 836 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

I do worry about our Universites
Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:29am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-university-tutor-investigated-a...

A SYDNEY University tutor is under investigation after unleashing a racially-charged social media attack on an Australian of Armenian descent who he labelled “traitorous scum” that “desperately” wanted a second genocide of his own people.

University of Sydney casual tutor Jay Tharappel launched the attack on Daily Telegraph political reporter Kylar Loussikian for exposing close links between academic Dr Tim Anderson and Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad.

The report also detailed how Dr Anderson ­believes last week’s sarin gas attack on the Syrian town of Khan Sheikhoun, which left 87 dead, was a “false flag” and not the work of Dr Assad.

Jay Tharappel, who tutors human rights at Sydney University and supports Bashar al-Assad.
Dr Anderson, who visited Dr Assad last year, cast doubt on the mounting evidence that his regime ordered the massacre, which in turn led to retaliatory US air strikes. He suggests al-Qaeda was responsible.

Mr Tharappel, who describes Dr Anderson as his mentor, yesterday aimed a barrage of abuse at Mr Loussikian following his report.

“Devastating intellectual critique by Kylar Loussikian, the traitorous scum who desperately wants a second ­Armenian genocide,” he wrote on Facebook. “How much did they pay you traitor? I guess stabbing SYRIA in the back with that surname is the best of telling the world you’re for sale, right?”

SYRIA GAS ATTACK DESERVED A MILITARY RESPONSE

One of Jay Tharappel's messages to The Daily Telegraph’s Kylar Loussikian
Mr Loussikian has Armenian heritage and there is a large Armenian population in Syria, which Tharappel claims will be in danger of genocide should Assad’s regime topple.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, whose grandparents survived the Armenian genocide between 1915 and 1923, is understood to be concerned by Mr Tharappel’s comments. But she would not comment, in a bid to avoid drawing further attention to his words.

A university spokesman said: “The University of Sydney has commenced an investigation into the behaviour of a casual staff member who is alleged to have made offensive comments to a journalist on social media today. The university takes the allegations very seriously and is examining whether any breaches of its code of conduct have occurred

this guy teaches "Human Rights"... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

a one sided version apparently   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: I do worry about our Universites
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:11pm

no one concerned about this??..

that surprises me...I mean I know all about FOS...and sure this is part of that uncensored edict....however this is being taught in Sydney Uni...by it would appear to me to be at least two radicals.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:22pm

Cods I've been slowly coming around to being pro Assad or at least pro Assad in hindsight.

Assad SHOULD have been supported from the beginning of the war but Saudi Arabia and Turkey want Assad gone so Syria will become a Sunni state.
USA want him gone as he's aligned with Russia.

But yes I agree this BS should be left out of the university.

Stick to STEM

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:40pm

Gordon wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:22pm:
Cods I've been slowly coming around to being pro Assad or at least pro Assad in hindsight.

Assad SHOULD have been supported from the beginning of the war but Saudi Arabia and Turkey want Assad gone so Syria will become a Sunni state.

Stick to STEM

you are of course able to like/dislike whom you choose...its no sweat on a forum like this anyway..

but yes these Uni guys  do have a lot of influence...

and everything has two sides to it..

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:52pm

cods wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 1:40pm:

Stick to STEM

you are of course able to like/dislike whom you choose...its no sweat on a forum like this anyway..

I don't like Assad, but it's very obvious prior to the Arab spring (which was co-opted by Saudi funded insurgents) he ran a moderate, modern and secular Middle Eastern country.

No doubt Assad had to employ a brutal intelligence service to keep the nutters in check but that goes with the territory.

Put this on your reading list, gives some interesting insights into what Jordan had to do to stop from the Sunni nutters from taking over.

Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS is a 2015 non-fiction book by the American journalist Joby Warrick. The book traces the rise and spread of militant Islam behind the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

IBI

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:37pm

Stick to STEM

Really he's a tutor. Hes a casual employee who supervises a couple of classes.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 6:22pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 13th, 2017 at 1:37pm:

Stick to STEM

Really he's a tutor. Hes a casual employee who supervises a couple of classes.

perhaps you didnt read the whole thing..

A CABAL of pro-Assad academics at Sydney University have had repeated contact with high ranking members of the Syrian regime and its military, including a visit to a war zone and briefings from an army general last year.

Tim Anderson, who accused Donald Trump and Barack Obama of being the true “masterminds of terrorism in the Middle East”, visited Palmyra near the Iraqi border last year as a guest of the Assad’s government.

Another member of his faculty, Jay Tharappel, met the year earlier with a senior member of Dr Bashar al-Assad’s cabinet, Health Minister Nizar Wehbe al-Yazigi.

Both lecture and tutor in human rights.

They are two of a number academics involved in the Centre for Counter Hegemonic Studies, which is holding a conference next week which will include discussions about the conflict in Syria “from Hezbollah’s perspective”. That lecture is being given by Hatem el Zein, who the program lists as being from Central Queensland University.

I GOOGLED..CENTRE FOR HEGEMONIC STUDIES..

THIS IS WHAT CAME UP..

One of Australia's most prestigious universities has become the centre of a movement that believes Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad has been framed by the West for last week's chemical weapons attack. 

The University of Sydney is standing by a controversial senior lecturer, Tim Anderson, who has dismissed the sarin gas attack in the Idlib Province as a "hoax" and called Syria's six-year civil war a "fiction" perpetrated by the US "to destroy an independent nation".

Australian leaders are increasing the pressure on Russia to withdraw support for Syria and leader Bashar al Assad led by the foreign and defence ministers.
Fairfax Media can reveal Dr Anderson is just one among a number of Australian academics who have formed a pro-Assad outfit called the Centre for Counter Hegemonic Studies, based in Sydney, to counter "censorship" by their universities.

The centre was formed "after concern that many Western academic bodies constrain, censor and marginalise counter-hegemonic or anti-imperial research and discussion, due to their close ties with government and corporate sponsors

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/syria-hoax-sydney-university-at-centre-of-proassad-push-20170410-gvi5kq.html

As well as Dr Anderson, its editorial board consists of Luis Angosto-Ferrandez, another Sydney University senior lecturer, Drew Cottle from Western Sydney University, Rodrigo Acuna at Macquarie University and a number of other academics, including two from East Timor.

Next week the Centre will hold a two-day conference at the University of Sydney, including a discussion of the Syrian conflict "from Hezbollah's perspective". The event is endorsed by the University of Sydney Union-funded Political Economy Society.

Tim Anderson seems to have a lot of clout!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print