Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Pub quiz (Read 2733 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Pub quiz
Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:31am

I have just started reading Peter Fitzsimons “Tobruk” and came across this passage:

Quote:
Perhaps most importantly, with various of the remarkable escapes he had in battle, Hitler came to believe he was ordained to survive the war, and that there was a higher purpose he was destined to fulfill

(He was also recommended for the Iron Cross class 2 then Class one by his company adjudant who was Jewish!)

Anyway, not in WWI but in a different war, there was another person who also became a Leader in WWII and who also felt the call of destiny and took risks because he “knew” he would not be killed but was destined to survive to fulfill his destiny.

Who was the Leader?

What was the war?

Probably millions felt they would not be killed for various reasons, these two did actually survive.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Re: Pub quiz
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:57am

Raven is inclined to think Isoroku Yamamoto, Russo-Japanese war

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 8:58am

Raven could be right—I really don’t know much about Yamamoto at all.

But that was not who I was thinking about.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 9:15am

Jovial Monk wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:31am:
I have just started reading Peter Fitzsimons “Tobruk” and came across this passage:

Quote:
Perhaps most importantly, with various of the remarkable escapes he had in battle, Hitler came to believe he was ordained to survive the war, and that there was a higher purpose he was destined to fulfill

(He was also recommended for the Iron Cross class 2 then Class one by his company adjudant who was Jewish!)

Anyway, not in WWI but in a different war, there was another person who also became a Leader in WWII and who also felt the call of destiny and took risks because he “knew” he would not be killed but was destined to survive to fulfill his destiny.

Who was the Leader?

What was the war?

Probably millions felt they would not be killed for various reasons, these two did actually survive.

An Amrerican General, led in the Desert Battles ?

Ah, Montgomery !!

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 10:14am

Monty was English you tit!

Monty was a great General. In the BEF as the panzers were closing in Monty was the only general with still a whole division, other divisions had lost thousands of men. When the Belgian King surrendered opening a huge hole in the English flank it was Monty led his men on a night march to fill that hole.

He stopped Rommel then, at El Alamein, broke through the German lines causing Rommel to flee with his armor leaving his infantry behind. Monty also planned the Normandy invasion and, as importantly, the strategy whereby the Brits held a line while behind them the yanks cleared the Normandy and Brittany peninsulas, gaining the ports for the flow of supplies and reinforcements any modern army needs.

A much lesser general and an American, Patton, would have just gone hell for leather for Paris without securing his supply lines.

But Monty was a soldier not a Leader, Sprinty.
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2017 at 11:13am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:19pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:31am:

Quote:

Who was the Leader?

What was the war?

This far car? 

Charles de Gaulle.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:44pm

I think that is a good answer, Aussie. DeGaulle definitely thought he was the spirit of France, so that satisfies that.

However, I don’t think he was in a war previous to WWII where he showed he believed he would not be killed because he was destined for great things, doubt he was in a war before WWII. Could be wrong, of course, some French colonial war?

So, I don’t think your answer is right. DeGaulle too was a soldier not a Leader in WWII.

I was astounded and impressed by the Yamamoto answer.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:53pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:44pm:
I think that is a good answer, Aussie. DeGaulle definitely thought he was the spirit of France, so that satisfies that.

However, I don’t think he was in a war previous to WWII where he showed he believed he would not be killed because he was destined for great things, doubt he was in a war before WWII. Could be wrong, of course, some French colonial war?

So, I don’t think your answer is right. DeGaulle too was a soldier not a Leader in WWII.

I was astounded and impressed by the Yamamoto answer.

He was an Officer in WW1 and was wounded many times, imprisoned and escaped many times.  He also led the French Government after the allied liberation of France in WW2.  He'll be your man.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:04pm

Yes, Aussie, he wasn’t a Leader until WWII was over. Not quite what I asked. I also don’t think he thought he was the destiny of France until well into WWII.

The person I am thinking of knew he had this destiny to fullfil decades before WWII.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:20pm

Stalin

Polish-Soviet War?

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:30pm

Did he know he had a destiny to fullfil?

These guys had to know, as young men, that there was a destiny they had to fulfill and that carried them through dangers.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:33pm

You could almost add Mussolini, who hated the Germans after WWI, and the Italian govt, for the humiliating defeat the Germans inflicted on Italy.

But no inkling of destiny until after WWI so not the answer.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:36pm

Quote:
But Monty was a soldier not a Leader, ....

I know it is not him....but.....he fits your description  'another person who also became a Leader in WWII.'  He definitely was a Leader....a great Leader in WW11.

You need to tighten that expression up.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:50pm

If I mean someone who leads I say “leader” if it is a national leader I say “Leader.”

But good point, should tighten the language up.

Who was it, well before WWII knew he had a destiny to fullfil and that feeling made him feel brave in battle and in WWII he was the Leader of the nation and the government.

Yamamoto sounds like one good answer. Monty isn’t, not a leader of the nation and the government. Stalin may be, and to give the devil his due he did not flee Moscow when the German panzers were in the suburbs of Moscow.

The answer I had in mind was Winston Churchill. As a correspondent in the Boer War he felt that there was a Destiny awaiting him and that that would protect him and was rather reckless on at least one occasion I read about.

About 40 years, mostly in the wilderness, but destiny had him in mind alright!

The two soldiers who most contributed to victory in the European part of WWII were Alan Brooke and Montgomery.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 3:53pm

Someone else want to pose a question in the Pub Quiz?

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print