Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
11 things men took credit for (Read 2687 times)
Grappler Racist Filth
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 90781
Proud Old White Australian Man
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #30 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:46am
 
I agree with Voltaire - and often quote the same myself.... (pats self on back).... so where are these things that men take credit for that women actually did?

(shuffles through some old papers).... ummmm .. no... women didn't land on the moon.... ummm.. no.. when Apollo 13 went bust, women didn't work out all the details to save it (as a CLANSMAN of mine did - NOTE - clansman)... ummmmm.. no women didn't design the F-35...... ummmm..... lemme think now.....
Back to top
 

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams
 
IP Logged
 
Grappler Racist Filth
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 90781
Proud Old White Australian Man
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #31 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:47am
 
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:43am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:40am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:35am:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The French philosopher Voltaire is widely credited for what may be the most celebrated quotation about freedom of speech. Bartlett's lists it under his name, calling it a paraphrase from his letter to a M. le Riche, February 6, 1770—but that attribution was based on a misreading. The quote does not appear in Voltaire's letter to François-Louis-Henri Leriche of that date, nor anywhere else in Voltaire's works. The real writer was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868–1919), English author of The Friends of Voltaire, a book she published in 1906 under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre. The illustrious line is Hall's own characterization of Voltaire's attitude. Discussing a book by one of his friends, she explains that even though he had thought the work rather light, he rose to its defense when it was censored.


I'm just disapproving of the way you are saying what you say. I'll still defend you right to say it.

You are making it a sex based thing, you would be appalled if others did so in a sex or race based way. You seem to want a quid each way.




I'll ask you for a third time, do you deny that institutionalised sexism has been implemented throughout our history?


Yes.
Back to top
 

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams
 
IP Logged
 
Setanta
Gold Member
*****
Offline


\/ Peace man!

Posts: 17568
Northern NSW
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #32 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:47am
 
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:43am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:40am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:35am:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The French philosopher Voltaire is widely credited for what may be the most celebrated quotation about freedom of speech. Bartlett's lists it under his name, calling it a paraphrase from his letter to a M. le Riche, February 6, 1770—but that attribution was based on a misreading. The quote does not appear in Voltaire's letter to François-Louis-Henri Leriche of that date, nor anywhere else in Voltaire's works. The real writer was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868–1919), English author of The Friends of Voltaire, a book she published in 1906 under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre. The illustrious line is Hall's own characterization of Voltaire's attitude. Discussing a book by one of his friends, she explains that even though he had thought the work rather light, he rose to its defense when it was censored.


I'm just disapproving of the way you are saying what you say. I'll still defend you right to say it.

You are making it a sex based thing, you would be appalled if others did so in a sex or race based way. You seem to want a quid each way.




I'll ask you for a third time, do you deny that institutionalised sexism has been implemented throughout our history?


I must have missed the first two times. No I don't deny it, I also don't deny many other things that i disapprove of in our history, but we are living now, not in the past. Dwelling on the past is a surefire sign of victimhood.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mothra
Gold Member
*****
Online


Australian Politics

Posts: 36736
Gender: female
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #33 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:49am
 
Grappler Racist Filth wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:46am:
I agree with Voltaire - and often quote the same myself.... (pats self on back).... so where are these things that men take credit for that women actually did?

(shuffles through some old papers).... ummmm .. no... women didn't land on the moon.... ummm.. no.. when Apollo 13 went bust, women didn't work out all the details to save it (as a CLANSMAN of mine did - NOTE - clansman)... ummmmm.. no women didn't design the F-35...... ummmm..... lemme think now.....




No. You agree with Evelyn Beatrice Hall, who actually said it.

As for the rest of you rant, Setanta, do you see what i'm talking about?
Back to top
 

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.
 
IP Logged
 
mothra
Gold Member
*****
Online


Australian Politics

Posts: 36736
Gender: female
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #34 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:51am
 
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:47am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:43am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:40am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:35am:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The French philosopher Voltaire is widely credited for what may be the most celebrated quotation about freedom of speech. Bartlett's lists it under his name, calling it a paraphrase from his letter to a M. le Riche, February 6, 1770—but that attribution was based on a misreading. The quote does not appear in Voltaire's letter to François-Louis-Henri Leriche of that date, nor anywhere else in Voltaire's works. The real writer was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868–1919), English author of The Friends of Voltaire, a book she published in 1906 under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre. The illustrious line is Hall's own characterization of Voltaire's attitude. Discussing a book by one of his friends, she explains that even though he had thought the work rather light, he rose to its defense when it was censored.


I'm just disapproving of the way you are saying what you say. I'll still defend you right to say it.

You are making it a sex based thing, you would be appalled if others did so in a sex or race based way. You seem to want a quid each way.




I'll ask you for a third time, do you deny that institutionalised sexism has been implemented throughout our history?


I must have missed the first two times. No I don't deny it, I also don't deny many other things that i disapprove of in our history, but we are living now, not in the past. Dwelling on the past is a surefire sign of victimhood.



Who's "dwelling in the past"?

I'm simply telling the stories of great women.

It appears to be meeting with some resistance?    Huh
Back to top
 

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.
 
IP Logged
 
Grappler Racist Filth
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 90781
Proud Old White Australian Man
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #35 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:52am
 
When most people had limited horizons - it became a necessity that men did the hard yards and women did the home front...... thus men earned the money and women handled the home front.... I suppose that was different in Aboriginal communities.... where women often handled it all...

You can't judge past situations by modern realities.... they are not the same.
Back to top
 

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams
 
IP Logged
 
Grappler Racist Filth
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 90781
Proud Old White Australian Man
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #36 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:54am
 
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:51am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:47am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:43am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:40am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:35am:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The French philosopher Voltaire is widely credited for what may be the most celebrated quotation about freedom of speech. Bartlett's lists it under his name, calling it a paraphrase from his letter to a M. le Riche, February 6, 1770—but that attribution was based on a misreading. The quote does not appear in Voltaire's letter to François-Louis-Henri Leriche of that date, nor anywhere else in Voltaire's works. The real writer was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868–1919), English author of The Friends of Voltaire, a book she published in 1906 under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre. The illustrious line is Hall's own characterization of Voltaire's attitude. Discussing a book by one of his friends, she explains that even though he had thought the work rather light, he rose to its defense when it was censored.


I'm just disapproving of the way you are saying what you say. I'll still defend you right to say it.

You are making it a sex based thing, you would be appalled if others did so in a sex or race based way. You seem to want a quid each way.




I'll ask you for a third time, do you deny that institutionalised sexism has been implemented throughout our history?


I must have missed the first two times. No I don't deny it, I also don't deny many other things that i disapprove of in our history, but we are living now, not in the past. Dwelling on the past is a surefire sign of victimhood.



Who's "dwelling in the past"?

I'm simply telling the stories of great women.

It appears to be meeting with some resistance?    Huh



'Resistance'?  That is the language of victimhood... nobody is 'resisting' anything - simply stating the facts.

You reckon I did not consider my Chemistry Ph.D GF as MY equal when I rejected the fish that John West would accept?

Jay-Zuz!  You peasants......
Back to top
 

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams
 
IP Logged
 
Setanta
Gold Member
*****
Offline


\/ Peace man!

Posts: 17568
Northern NSW
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #37 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:56am
 
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:49am:
Grappler Racist Filth wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:46am:
I agree with Voltaire - and often quote the same myself.... (pats self on back).... so where are these things that men take credit for that women actually did?

(shuffles through some old papers).... ummmm .. no... women didn't land on the moon.... ummm.. no.. when Apollo 13 went bust, women didn't work out all the details to save it (as a CLANSMAN of mine did - NOTE - clansman)... ummmmm.. no women didn't design the F-35...... ummmm..... lemme think now.....




No. You agree with Evelyn Beatrice Hall, who actually said it.

As for the rest of you rant, Setanta, do you see what i'm talking about?


Smiley Sad. I believe there is a new movie Grap might want to watch. I haven't seen it myself yet but it's on my to watch list.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/aug/15/hidden-figures-trailer-octavia-spen...
http://rocket-women.com/2016/08/new-movie-highlights-pivotal-role-of-nasa-women-...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Setanta
Gold Member
*****
Offline


\/ Peace man!

Posts: 17568
Northern NSW
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #38 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:58am
 
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:51am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:47am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:43am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:40am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:35am:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The French philosopher Voltaire is widely credited for what may be the most celebrated quotation about freedom of speech. Bartlett's lists it under his name, calling it a paraphrase from his letter to a M. le Riche, February 6, 1770—but that attribution was based on a misreading. The quote does not appear in Voltaire's letter to François-Louis-Henri Leriche of that date, nor anywhere else in Voltaire's works. The real writer was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868–1919), English author of The Friends of Voltaire, a book she published in 1906 under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre. The illustrious line is Hall's own characterization of Voltaire's attitude. Discussing a book by one of his friends, she explains that even though he had thought the work rather light, he rose to its defense when it was censored.


I'm just disapproving of the way you are saying what you say. I'll still defend you right to say it.

You are making it a sex based thing, you would be appalled if others did so in a sex or race based way. You seem to want a quid each way.




I'll ask you for a third time, do you deny that institutionalised sexism has been implemented throughout our history?


I must have missed the first two times. No I don't deny it, I also don't deny many other things that i disapprove of in our history, but we are living now, not in the past. Dwelling on the past is a surefire sign of victimhood.



Who's "dwelling in the past"?

I'm simply telling the stories of great women.

It appears to be meeting with some resistance?    Huh


That's not true, you are trying to point out the plight of women being ripped off by men in the past. Look at us, we're victims of the patriarchal society.

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mothra
Gold Member
*****
Online


Australian Politics

Posts: 36736
Gender: female
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #39 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:00am
 
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:58am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:51am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:47am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:43am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:40am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:35am:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The French philosopher Voltaire is widely credited for what may be the most celebrated quotation about freedom of speech. Bartlett's lists it under his name, calling it a paraphrase from his letter to a M. le Riche, February 6, 1770—but that attribution was based on a misreading. The quote does not appear in Voltaire's letter to François-Louis-Henri Leriche of that date, nor anywhere else in Voltaire's works. The real writer was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868–1919), English author of The Friends of Voltaire, a book she published in 1906 under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre. The illustrious line is Hall's own characterization of Voltaire's attitude. Discussing a book by one of his friends, she explains that even though he had thought the work rather light, he rose to its defense when it was censored.


I'm just disapproving of the way you are saying what you say. I'll still defend you right to say it.

You are making it a sex based thing, you would be appalled if others did so in a sex or race based way. You seem to want a quid each way.




I'll ask you for a third time, do you deny that institutionalised sexism has been implemented throughout our history?


I must have missed the first two times. No I don't deny it, I also don't deny many other things that i disapprove of in our history, but we are living now, not in the past. Dwelling on the past is a surefire sign of victimhood.



Who's "dwelling in the past"?

I'm simply telling the stories of great women.

It appears to be meeting with some resistance?    Huh


That's not true, you are trying to point out the plight of women being ripped off by men in the past. Look at us, we're victims of the patriarchal society.



Yes. I am highlighting women who have been ripped off by men in the past.

Is it not so?

Remember, you agreed we have suffered historically from institutionalised sexism.
Back to top
 

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.
 
IP Logged
 
Grappler Racist Filth
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 90781
Proud Old White Australian Man
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #40 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:03am
 
"No. You agree with Evelyn Beatrice Hall, who actually said it."

Link?

Voltaire:-

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

SS-DD..... so .. errr... I can say something similar, and because someone else has said it before... it is MINE exclusively?

OK..... do you know how may times a philosophical point will be stated by some thinker?  And how many times it is the SAME pint as someone else has stated, or many others have stated?

Now - I'm pretty smart - but I often find myself making statements that have already been made, and so I do not accept kudos for that statement... .. I guess that shows that I am more perceptive than most.... and maybe have no axe to grind.... just an honest broker....
Back to top
 

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams
 
IP Logged
 
mothra
Gold Member
*****
Online


Australian Politics

Posts: 36736
Gender: female
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #41 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:07am
 
Grappler Racist Filth wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:03am:
"No. You agree with Evelyn Beatrice Hall, who actually said it."

Link?

Voltaire:-

"I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it."

SS-DD..... so .. errr... I can say something similar, and because someone else has said it before... it is MINE exclusively?

OK..... do you know how may times a philosophical point will be stated by some thinker?  And how many times it is the SAME pint as someone else has stated, or many others have stated?

Now - I'm pretty smart - but I often find myself making statements that have already been made, and so I do not accept kudos for that statement... .. I guess that shows that I am more perceptive than most.... and maybe have no axe to grind.... just an honest broker....

mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:35am:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The French philosopher Voltaire is widely credited for what may be the most celebrated quotation about freedom of speech. Bartlett's lists it under his name, calling it a paraphrase from his letter to a M. le Riche, February 6, 1770—but that attribution was based on a misreading. The quote does not appear in Voltaire's letter to François-Louis-Henri Leriche of that date, nor anywhere else in Voltaire's works. The real writer was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868–1919), English author of The Friends of Voltaire, a book she published in 1906 under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre. The illustrious line is Hall's own characterization of Voltaire's attitude. Discussing a book by one of his friends, she explains that even though he had thought the work rather light, he rose to its defense when it was censored.




No axe to grind. Hilarious!

Link you say?

Look a page back.

Never mind, i know you won't. Allow me to repeat myself:


mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 12:35am:
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

The French philosopher Voltaire is widely credited for what may be the most celebrated quotation about freedom of speech. Bartlett's lists it under his name, calling it a paraphrase from his letter to a M. le Riche, February 6, 1770—but that attribution was based on a misreading. The quote does not appear in Voltaire's letter to François-Louis-Henri Leriche of that date, nor anywhere else in Voltaire's works. The real writer was Evelyn Beatrice Hall (1868–1919), English author of The Friends of Voltaire, a book she published in 1906 under the pseudonym S. G. Tallentyre. The illustrious line is Hall's own characterization of Voltaire's attitude. Discussing a book by one of his friends, she explains that even though he had thought the work rather light, he rose to its defense when it was censored.





Back to top
 

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.
 
IP Logged
 
Setanta
Gold Member
*****
Offline


\/ Peace man!

Posts: 17568
Northern NSW
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #42 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:07am
 
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:00am:
Yes. I am highlighting women who have been ripped off by men in the past.

Is it not so?

Remember, you agreed we have suffered historically from institutionalised sexism.


Now we are back at square one. We are not living in the past. In the past many things happened that we would not allow today, on both men and women's sides. Dwelling in the past, bringing up past injustices, is the bread and butter of victimhood.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mothra
Gold Member
*****
Online


Australian Politics

Posts: 36736
Gender: female
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #43 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:10am
 
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:07am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:00am:
Yes. I am highlighting women who have been ripped off by men in the past.

Is it not so?

Remember, you agreed we have suffered historically from institutionalised sexism.


Now we are back at square one. We are not living in the past. In the past many things happened that we would not allow today, on both men and women's sides. Dwelling in the past, bringing up past injustices, is the bread and butter of victimhood.



Again .. who's "dwelling in the past"?

I'm simply ascribing credit where it is due. It's Women's History Month, don't you know.

I'm talking about women's history.

It just so happens that much of it was accredited to men. Y'know, because of that pesky institutionalised sexism we keep talking about.
Back to top
 

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.
 
IP Logged
 
Setanta
Gold Member
*****
Offline


\/ Peace man!

Posts: 17568
Northern NSW
Gender: male
Re: 11 things men took credit for
Reply #44 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:15am
 
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:10am:
Setanta wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:07am:
mothra wrote on Mar 26th, 2017 at 1:00am:
Yes. I am highlighting women who have been ripped off by men in the past.

Is it not so?

Remember, you agreed we have suffered historically from institutionalised sexism.


Now we are back at square one. We are not living in the past. In the past many things happened that we would not allow today, on both men and women's sides. Dwelling in the past, bringing up past injustices, is the bread and butter of victimhood.



Again .. who's "dwelling in the past"?

I'm simply ascribing credit where it is due. It's Women's History Month, don't you know.

I'm talking about women's history.

It just so happens that much of it was accredited to men. Y'know, because of that pesky institutionalised sexism we keep talking about.


No I didn't know it's "women's history month" just like all the other "women's" days I take no notice except for mother's day.

Are there Men's months and days? Why do you lot feel the need for these?

You are dwelling in the past, looking for past injustices to fuel your rage against the patriarchal society you feel victims in. Women have more power than men these days, enjoy it and stop whining.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print