Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Re: Aboriginals adapted
Reply #315 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:40pm

Frank wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 6:26pm:
Auggie wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 8:45pm:
Gordon wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 8:41pm:
Aboriginal culture is one of the least developed on earth.

Why is so hard to accept this while at the same time accepting they are people who deserve to have their hopes and dreams fulfilled and live with dignity like everyone else?  Why do we needs this ridiculous charade to pretend they are something they are not.

I agree that there are different levels of complexity. The Indigenous Peoples of Australia had a less complex civilization than others. I think this is due to the fact that they didn't need to develop complexity.

Why didn't they?  Under what circumstances is it preferable to remain stone age?

The environmental conditions didn't exist that were conducive to developing a more complex society.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #316 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:52pm

Gnads wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 8:07am:
mothra wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:36pm:
Gordon wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 3:32pm:
Auggie wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 11:40pm:
Gordon wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:21pm:
Auggie wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:14pm:
Gordon wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:11pm:
Auggie wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 9:02pm:
Gordon wrote on Mar 9th, 2017 at 8:50pm:

Why is so hard to accept this while at the same time accepting they are people who deserve to have their hopes and dreams fulfilled and live with dignity like everyone else?  Why do we needs this ridiculous charade to pretend they are something they are not.

I agree that there are different levels of complexity. The Indigenous Peoples of Australia had less complex civilization than others. We must also recognize that the the culture has been continuous for around 40,000 years, which is something that other civilizations haven't achieved.

Because of isolation, which is now their downfall.
Cultures that mixed adapted and improved. 
The world would be a dull place if we'd never advanced further than that of aboriginals

Isolation played a role. The point that you need to understand is that there was nothing more that they could do. The conditions didn't exist for them to become more complex.

Yes, I accept their culture is a result of geography and environment. I don't view them as inferior humanoids but I view their culture as inferior.   

Inferior is the wrong word. That they were able to live sustainably for tens of thousand of years is in some sense superior. I would say that their culture is different. Put it this way, I would prefer indigenous culture to North Korean culture, or to some other cultures in the world.

No,  I'd characterise them as the most basic examples of human society.

All humans mastered their environments. The prehistoric Britons would have also known the use of every last plant and animal available to them. Just look at the incredible achievements of other cultures above survival,  then look at the aboriginals. Not inferior peole, inferior culture.

We pretty much agree on the same thing; I just think we differ on the semantics. I prefer to use words like 'social institutions' and 'ideas' rather than 'culture'. The latter is too broad, whilst the former are more specific and more neutral in tone. "Some social institutions are better than others; some ideas are better than ideas."

Yes we both agree that fundamentally human hardware is not a factor.

The thing I find particular funny is the way their culture is elevated to what it simply isn't. 

Fish traps are described as aquaculture.
Trading with the guys over the hill is called export.

There was far ore to it than simply fish traps.

Don't stay ignorant you're whole life, Gordy.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bushtelegraph/rethinking-indigenous...

No there isn't

Unlike us .... they only caught what they needed for a feed, that's why there was always plenty.

It was never in their culture to hoard/stash it away for a rainy day or supply it/export it( Grin Grin Grin) on a commercial basis.

The whole concept is delusional.

Is it?  So how did the Indigenous Australians trade?  Why bother?  If they "only catch what they need"?    Indigenous Australians traded significant trade goods significant distances across Australia, from tribe to tribe, Gnads.   Which, if you weren't a Racist, you'd know and understand.   According to you, all Indigenous Australians killed all other strangers as soon as they encountered them on their lands.   Wait a second, how can it be "their lands" when according to you, they didn't have any concept of ownership?  Ooops, caught out again...  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #317 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:59pm

Brian, would you talk to someone like that in a pub?

IBI

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #318 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:02pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 6:41pm:
Auggie wrote on Mar 10th, 2017 at 5:54pm:

I agree that there are different levels of complexity. The Indigenous Peoples of Australia had less complex civilization than others. We must also recognize that the the culture has been continuous for around 40,000 years, which is something that other civilizations haven't achieved.

The world would be a dull place if we'd never advanced further than that of aboriginals

Isolation played a role. The point that you need to understand is that there was nothing more that they could do. The conditions didn't exist for them to become more complex.

Yes, I accept their culture is a result of geography and environment. I don't view them as inferior humanoids but I view their culture as inferior.   

Inferior is the wrong word. That they were able to live sustainably for tens of thousand of years is in some sense superior. I would say that their culture is different. Put it this way, I would prefer indigenous culture to North Korean culture, or to some other cultures in the world.

All humans mastered their environments. The prehistoric Britons would have also known the use of every last plant and animal available to them. Just look at the incredible achievements of other cultures above survival,  then look at the aboriginals. Not inferior peole, inferior culture.

We pretty much agree on the same thing; I just think we differ on the semantics. I prefer to use words like 'social institutions' and 'ideas' rather than 'culture'. The latter is too broad, whilst the former are more specific and more neutral in tone. "Some social institutions are better than others; some ideas are better than ideas."

The thing I find particular funny is the way their culture is elevated to what it simply isn't. 

It mainly comes down to political correctness. Also, the indigenous peoples' lifestyle was unique in certain respects.

I can swallow a bit of PC for the sake of their empowerment, but the levels it gets to is just farcical.

Once I was in a national park getting a tour and talk from a ranger, and she showed us a replica of an Aboriginal water maker, a pile of stones on the top of a hill as a guide to water locations. Cool! But she added that Aboriginals had some of the most sophisticated water management systems.

I've been to Pont du Gard and Angkor Wat and the Colosseum , sorry but I'm just not impressed by a 100cm pile of stones.

In its own way, it could've been sophisticated. In other ways not. Some people may be impressed, others may not be. It all comes down to personal preferences. I think when it comes to 'comparing cultures' we should just keep an open mind and experience whatever the differences are.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #319 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:08pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 3:59pm:

Nope.  Would you?  Afterall, you're on record here insulting Muslim women, Muslim men, Muslim kids.  Tsk, tsk, look to your own backyard, I'd recommend, Gordon, before suggesting that I clean my own up first.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #320 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:14pm

Auggie wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:02pm:

It mainly comes down to political correctness. Also, the indigenous peoples' lifestyle was unique in certain respects.

I can swallow a bit of PC for the sake of their empowerment, but the levels it gets to is just farcical.

Once I was in a national park getting a tour and talk from a ranger, and she showed us a replica of an Aboriginal water maker, a pile of stones on the top of a hill as a guide to water locations. Cool! But she added that Aboriginals had some of the most sophisticated water management systems.

I've been to Pont du Gard and Angkor Wat and the Colosseum , sorry but I'm just not impressed by a 100cm pile of stones.

In its own way, it could've been sophisticated. In other ways not. Some people may be impressed, others may not be. It all comes down to personal preferences. I think when it comes to 'comparing cultures' we should just keep an open mind and experience whatever the differences are.

Well it's likely that all cultures passed thru the stage that Aboriginals remained at perpetually, obviously not exactly the same but very similar. Despite what Brian would say, I actually don't disrespect Aboriginals or their culture, but I characterise it differently. To not do so is intellectually dishonest.

IBI

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #321 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:20pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:14pm:

Well it's likely that all cultures passed thru the stage that Aboriginals remained at perpetually, obviously not exactly the same but very similar. Despite what Brian would say, I actually don't disrespect Aboriginals or their culture, but I characterise it differently. To not do so is intellectually dishonest.

Yes, there are different degrees of complexity.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #322 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:20pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:08pm:

Nope.  Would you?  Afterall, you're on record here insulting Muslim women, Muslim men, Muslim kids.  Tsk, tsk, look to your own backyard, I'd recommend, Gordon, before suggesting that I clean my own up first.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yes, absolutely. Sure, I have my views on particular subjects yet I'm polite to the people I converse with here. Any points you actually try to make are lost because you carry on like a prize wanker in the delivery. Tsk, tsk.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #323 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:26pm

Auggie wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:20pm:

So we can move forward.

My hope is that Aboriginals can keep enough of their culture as nod to their past yet be fully functioning in modern society with equality.

It's my opinion that could take a few hundred years as 50k years of doing things the same way, thinking the same way can't be changed overnight.

IBI

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #324 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:31pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:26pm:
Auggie wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:20pm:

So we can move forward.

My hope is that Aboriginals can keep enough of their culture as nod to their past yet be fully functioning in modern society with equality.

It's my opinion that could take a few hundred years as 50k years of doing things the same way, thinking the same way can't be changed overnight.

That's right. Everyone who comes to Australia or who is of a different culture should assimilate, and the same goes for the Indigenous peoples of Australia. Of course, that DOESN'T mean (and I know that you're not saying this) that people should not retain their cultural heritage or be allowed to practice certain cultural rituals, but they should mainly assimilate.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #325 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:06pm

Gordon wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:20pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:08pm:

Yes, absolutely. Sure, I have my views on particular subjects yet I'm polite to the people I converse with here. Any points you actually try to make are lost because you carry on like a prize wanker in the delivery. Tsk, tsk.

The same could be said for you, Gordon.  You often deliberately choose inflammatory language it appears just to either please yourself or so you can get a rise out of people.  Who is intellectually dishonest in that case, I wonder?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #326 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:13pm

Auggie wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
That's right. Everyone who comes to Australia or who is of a different culture should assimilate, and the same goes for the Indigenous peoples of Australia. Of course, that DOESN'T mean (and I know that you're not saying this) that people should not retain their cultural heritage or be allowed to practice certain cultural rituals, but t

Everybody who does come to Australia does "Assimilate", mate.   I get rather annoyed at this demand that people from different cultures must "assimilate".   Who determines if an individual has assimilated?  You or the person?   How do they or you measure the concept of "Assimilation"?   Do you have an "Assimilameter"?   It is a bullshit belief and a bullshit viewpoint put forward by those who read that so-and-so hasn't "assimilated" according to some fool who seems to think that as soon as a migrant steps off the steps of the flight/ship that they arrived on, they should be swearing like a Navvy and drinking booze like a piss-artist, dressing like a shearer and working like a Brickie's Labourer.    The world doesn't operate like that.  Time for some Australians to grow up.   People dress how they like, speak how they like and work as hard as they need to.  Some drink, some don't.   Life is tough like that.  We are a Multicultural, cosmopolitan society.   We should have learnt by now that people are as people are.    Some will dress like Australians and some will dress like South Seas Islanders.   As long as they respect and obey the law, as it is writ, then there shouldn't be any cause for complaint.

Now, run along and invent your "Assimilometer".  You'll make a fortune off PHONy members.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #327 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:44pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:13pm:
That's right. Everyone who comes to Australia or who is of a different culture should assimilate, and the same goes for the Indigenous peoples of Australia. Of course, that DOESN'T mean (and I know that you're not saying this) that people should not retain their cultural heritage or be allowed to practice certain cultural rituals, but t

Everybody who does come to Australia does "Assimilate", mate.   I get rather annoyed at this demand that people from different cultures must "assimilate".   Who determines if an individual has assimilated?  You or the person?   How do they or you measure the concept of "Assimilation"?   Do you have an "Assimilameter"?   It is a bullshit belief and a bullshit viewpoint put forward by those who read that so-and-so hasn't "assimilated" according to some fool who seems to think that as soon as a migrant steps off the steps of the flight/ship that they arrived on, they should be swearing like a Navvy and drinking booze like a piss-artist, dressing like a shearer and working like a Brickie's Labourer.    The world doesn't operate like that.  Time for some Australians to grow up.   People dress how they like, speak how they like and work as hard as they need to.  Some drink, some don't.   Life is tough like that.  We are a Multicultural, cosmopolitan society.   We should have learnt by now that people are as people are.    Some will dress like Australians and some will dress like South Seas Islanders.   As long as they respect and obey the law, as it is writ, then there shouldn't be any cause for complaint.

Now, run along and invent your "Assimilometer".  You'll make a fortune off PHONy members.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

What I mean by 'assimilation' is 'integration.' One of the largest failures in Europe is the development of 'pockets of isolated communities' which leads to social isolation. In my view, this isolation is worse for the individuals since they aren't fully capable of pursuing their freedoms.

Yes, absolutely. People are free to dress as they want, to practise any religion they want, and to believe whatever they want. Assimilation really comes down to 'obeying the law', and (preferably) respecting the institutions and values of the country in which they live. These values are: tolerance, freedom, individualism and the pursuit of happiness. There may be some communities (of all races, including white people) who don't respect our institutions: common law, parliamentary democracy, rule of law, federalism, etc. And whilst they are certainly entitled to not like them, it would only be doing them more harm than good, in my opinion.

I was also talking in the context of Indigenous Australians who are live in isolated communities. It's true that some of them may wish to live that way, and that's fine. Others may wish to integrate, or could integrate but don't have the opportunities to do so; and in that sense, the Government is at fault.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #328 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:30pm

Auggie wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:44pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 5:13pm:

What I mean by 'assimilation' is 'integration.' One of the largest failures in Europe is the development of 'pockets of isolated communities' which leads to social isolation. In my view, this isolation is worse for the individuals since they aren't fully capable of pursuing their freedoms.

Who's fault is that?  The Individuals or the society surrounding them.  Look at the Turks in Germany for example.  Generations of "guest workers" who could not become German citizens.  They were isolated by the German society in which they lived.   Yet, according to you, that is a failure on their part to "assimilate", oops, sorry, "integrate"?   Tsk, tsk, you seem to think that some societies allow "assimilation, oops, sorry, "integration"...   Roll Eyes

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. People are free to dress as they want, to practise any religion they want, and to believe whatever they want. Assimilation really comes down to 'obeying the law', and (preferably) respecting the institutions and values of the country in which they live. These values are: tolerance, freedom, individualism and the pursuit of happiness. There may be some communities (of all races, including white people) who don't respect our institutions: common law, parliamentary democracy, rule of law, federalism, etc. And whilst they are certainly entitled to not like them, it would only be doing them more harm than good, in my opinion.

When one considers that invariably, 15 years ago, the same people who are criticising Muslims today, were proposing exactly the same sort of attitudes they are criticising Muslims for having.   If anybody is failing to respect our institutions, it is the right-whingers who refuse to tolerate or accept that people have a right to be different if they so choose.

Quote:
I was also talking in the context of Indigenous Australians who are live in isolated communities. It's true that some of them may wish to live that way, and that's fine. Others may wish to integrate, or could integrate but don't have the opportunities to do so; and in that sense, the Government is at fault.

No one is stopping the Indigenous Australians from "assimilating", oops, sorry, "integrating".  Indeed, the overwhelming majority of Indigenous Australians live in urban communities amongst white people quite happily, thank'ee very much.   They choose, often, to live on outstations.  White people complain that they are being treated differently to Indigenous Australians.  In reality, if they think that Indigenous Australians have an easy time of it, let them go and live on an outstation for a couple of months or years!   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #329 - Mar 11th, 2017 at 6:32pm

Brian Ross wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 12:57am:
rhino wrote on Mar 11th, 2017 at 12:50am:
Out of all the nig nogs in the world, the abos are the most primitive.

And you believe you're more sophisticated, Rhino?  Really?  You have got to be joking.  You leak hatred, racism, Xenophobia and Islamophobia from every pore.  Tsk. tsk.    Roll Eyes

And you leak BS from every orifice. Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 26
Send Topic Print