Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Muslims and 18c (Read 6751 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Muslims and 18c
Reply #30 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:55pm

What does it say that Abbott reneged on removing 18C because he thought this might upset 2.2% of the population, to wit, the Muslim community?

It was a clear case of a spineless Prime Minister pandering to a tiny minority of religious malcontents rather than representing the wishes of the majority.

This silly ass should also have known that the vast majority of Muslims vote 'Labor' as the party that is more sympathetic and defensive of them.

'Prime Minister Tony Abbott insists plans to change racial discrimination laws are "gone", admitting he knew the Government's backflip would upset the laws' loudest critics.

Mr Abbott on Tuesday said he made a "leadership call" to abandon changes to section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act as they were a "needless complication" in the Government's relationship with the Australian Muslim community'.

link

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #31 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:59pm

freediver wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 5:31pm:
Why did you feel the need to link me to something I had just quoted?

You did your usual quote bombing of random quotes that you obviously didn't bother to try and understand. I reiterated the one relevant one because it clearly proves I am not conflicted on the subject. If its still too cryptic for you, let me dumb it down further:

Gandalf is not in the least bit conflicted by:

- his conviction that 18c should remove the words "offend" and "insult"
- his conviction that while 18c has been abused in order to try and ban holocaust denial, it absolutely should remain to protect against racial vilification.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:10pm

freediver wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 5:39pm:
Quote:
Bolt didn't just make mistakes. His white Aborigines campaign went on for years, in almost daily columns and various broadcast gigs. Those involved wrote in to correct Bolt's misinformation (about themselves), and Bolt went on to repeat it. He did so in a syndicated daily newspaper column with a readership in the million/s.

The appropriate response would be to give him all the rope he wants. He was destroying the reputation of the Murdoch press faster than a million whining hippies could ever hope to. Why would you want to put a stop to that? If he trashed any individual's reputation unjustly, they should have used libel/slander laws instead.

Well, Bolt won by losing the court case and he has proven his case and the judge, finding againt him, spelled it out at greater length and detail than bolt did.  Blond and blue eyed Aborigines are self-identifying for preferment purposes. If they didn't mention what nobody perceives when they are encountered they would not have gotten to where they are.

In any case, classifying people along racial lines is totally discredited, don't you know - except when it is a victim racial identity that will get you preferment. THEN it is THE most important thing about you.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #33 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:15pm

Quote:
You did your usual quote bombing of random quotes

I quoted three posts, one of which you considered relevant enough to refer me to. Perhaps it is time for you to go back and read the opening posts rather than complaining about me not reading yours.

Quote:
I reiterated the one relevant one because it clearly proves I am not conflicted on the subject.

Ignoring your own contradictory words is a strange way to prove you are not contradicting yourself.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #34 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:19pm

freediver wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:15pm:
Ignoring your own contradictory words is a strange way to prove you are not contradicting yourself.

Sorry FD, but if you can't see that:

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 7:59pm:
Gandalf is not in the least bit conflicted by:

- his conviction that 18c should remove the words "offend" and "insult"
- his conviction that while 18c has been abused in order to try and ban holocaust denial, it absolutely should remain to protect against racial vilification.

is a perfectly accurate summary of:

Quote:
18c should remove the words "offend" and "insult", but the reality is it doesn't preclude bigoted speech that isn't based on complete fabrications (as was the case with Bolt). Bill Leak wasn't gagged for his cartoons, despite the fact that we know they "offended" lots of Aboriginal people. I suspect you can pretty much say whatever racist vile rubbish you like as long as its not directly threatening someone. The sole exception to this of course is holocaust denial - which our own first law officer has stated is de-facto a case of racial vilification. And I'm certain removing the words "offend" and "insult" won't change this. But removing racial vilification laws entirely just to stop the gagging of holocaust denial is not the solution. In this case common sense should prevail and a legitimate historical debate about holocaust denial should not be considered racial vilification.

Then I'm sorry I can't help you any further. Don't say I didn't try though.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:26pm

freediver wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 5:31pm:
Quote:
Whats funny about this is, whenever someone asks you to clarify your opinion on something, you'll give them a lengthy paragraph lecturing them about how you've answered it all already

Aussie was asking me for a definition, not an opinion.

Quote:
and that they need only look over what you've already said

Wrong again Gandalf. Here's a tip, look at what I actually said.

Quote:
But whats really sad about this is we've been down this road so many times before. Previously I simply used to repeat myself or point to a link where I've already answered you - all in good faith. But then you would simply come back a couple of weeks, or months down the track and ask me the exact same question again as if you'd never even read when I answered last time. But as if thats not bad enough, you would even pull that annoying little "gandalf is deflecting" ruse. Or even worse, take my previous answers and twist them into something completely different - eg me being against executing gays for being gay became I want to kill gays for doing it mardis gras style.

But I digress...

Yes you do. You are ranting at me for ignoring what you say, while ignoring the quotes I provided of what you actually said.

Quote:
I literally have no idea what you mean. Try start by explaining how the argument that Islamophobia = racism has anything to do with the merits or otherwise of 18c, and we'll go from there.

The racial discrimination act has been broadened to absurd levels, just like your efforts to redefine the word racism. Thus it would make sense if you support 18c when it comes to people criticising Islam, even if you oppose the Jewish lobby's efforts to do something similar.

Quote:
My view however is that the two situations are different - even if its a subtle difference. First you have to look at what Bolt got sprung for - and it was a very clear cut fabrication (even if unintentional) on very specific facts that were not in question. The one that springs to mind was to claim that one of the people he attacked had German parents - which was very easily exposed as simply false. That was a clear fabrication that was used specifically to attack (vilify) someone. Without knowing specifically what Toben said, holocaust denial is not really about clear cut fabrications that you can point to like in the Bolt case, and in fact their tactics mostly involve casting doubt on the holocaust argument, and invoking of the "burden of proof" principle (ie "that piece of evidence doesn't prove that the holocaust happened - you need to show something else"). I don't think I've ever heard a holocaust denier produce a document or letter or any other piece of evidence that is easily proven a fabrication and declare it somehow proof that the holocaust didn't happen. Or similarly, come up with a historical "fact" to argue their point that is demonstrably false. If they did, then it might be comparable with what Bolt did. But that is not how deniers role - instead they simply sit back and nitpick the holocaust scholars when they trip up (and regretably, they have done) - to argue that there is too much doubt to say that the holocaust is undeniable fact. You may call it 'disingenuous' or even 'intellectually dishonest', but they are not out and out porkies like what Bolt did.

Do you have proof that this bloke's parents were not German?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #36 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:35pm

Frank wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:10pm:
In any case, classifying people along racial lines is totally discredited, don't you know - except when it is a victim racial identity that will get you preferment. THEN it is THE most important thing about you.

Strange, this is the second time I've seen you righties make this fallacious leap in logic.

This so called "victim racial identity" you speak of is in reality, nothing of the sort. The people you mock reject your quaint notion of 'racial identification' across the board. What they emphasise is cultural identity, in which genetics and outward physical appearances has precisely zero relevance to. Its why Bolt et al can never understand what these people are on about, and assume that they must be being dishonest and cynical. You think that they have to be referring to some biological/racial connection - which of course can be refuted by looking at their lineage, if not their physical appearance. But it was never about that - its about their own personal identity they feel which may not have anything to do with their actual biological lineage.

Not that Bolt should be prevented from criticising them for that - but the appropriate line is drawn at telling porkies - porkies that have malicious intent. Which of course is not a restriction that is limited to 18c: the "offended" people could have sued Bolt for defamation and could have won millions. But they didn't - they chose to make a selfless and principled stand and correctly made this about "racial" vilification (the "racial" part of it being initiated by Bolt, not the victims - before you pounce on that)

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #37 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:49pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 8:35pm:
Not that Bolt should be prevented from criticising them for that - but the appropriate line is drawn at telling porkies - porkies that have malicious intent.

How does this differ from Karnal's view?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #38 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:52pm

Quote:
The racial discrimination act has been broadened to absurd levels, just like your efforts to redefine the word racism.

"racism" has to be redefined when its root word "race" literally has no meaning. And when someone who is preaching these sorts of gems of wisdom goes off and thinks that prejudice based on a linguistic group is "blatant racism" or boldly claims that "Asians" are a race - you know the word is in trouble.

Basically its because people like you are so clueless about "race", that "racism" must be redefined.

But as you say FD, 'racism' is very much real - even if it has nothing to do with your confused notion of "race". It is probably the most destructive form of prejudice that exists in society, and constantly threatens to pull it apart. That is why its important to have specific laws that guard against it.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:59pm by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #39 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 10:28pm

Quote:
Thus it would make sense if you support 18c when it comes to people criticising Islam, even if you oppose the Jewish lobby's efforts to do something similar.

FD I would be the first person to stand up for your right to continue your regular rants about the bloodthirsty, pedophile warmonger who slaughtered jews for shiiits and giggles, and personally begat a society of inbred retards.

This is no different to me standing up for the right of bigots to deny the holocaust. And neither case should be used to invoke an 18c gag. For 18c is about vilification - and I as a muslim, should not be judged to be "vilified" if someone has a different historical interpretation about my religion or my prophet. Just as an individual jew should not be judged to be vilified just because someone disputes the historical accuracy of a particular episode in jewish history. This is different to what Bolt did. He singled out individuals and propagated complete fabrications about their person - in order to defame them. If there was an equivalent using the "Islamic history" narrative, it would need to be something like someone singling me out personally, as a muslim, and declaring that I, personally, have inbred parents, and as a result, I, personally, am mentally retarded - based on nothing except the fact that I am muslim, and the logic that all muslims are inbred and retarded. Or, for the holocaust denial example, something like singling out a particular jew who lost their grandfather in the holocaust, and declaring that they fabricated the "grandad got gassed" story, because they are a typical scheming and greedy jew and knew the story would get them a fortune in compensation.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #40 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 7:52am

Quote:
FD I would be the first person to stand up for your right to continue your regular rants about the bloodthirsty, pedophile warmonger who slaughtered jews for shiiits and giggles, and personally begat a society of inbred retards.
This is no different to me standing up for the right of bigots to deny the holocaust.

Have you changed your mind about this recently?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:34am

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:52pm:
Quote:
The racial discrimination act has been broadened to absurd levels, just like your efforts to redefine the word racism.

"racism" has to be redefined when its root word "race" literally has no meaning. And when someone who is preaching these sorts of gems of wisdom goes off and thinks that prejudice based on a linguistic group is "blatant racism" or boldly claims that "Asians" are a race - you know the word is in trouble.

Basically its because people like you are so clueless about "race", that "racism" must be redefined.

But as you say FD, 'racism' is very much real - even if it has nothing to do with your confused notion of "race". It is probably the most destructive form of prejudice that exists in society, and constantly threatens to pull it apart. That is why its important to have specific laws that guard against it.

If race 'literally' has no meaning - how the hell is racism the most destructive form of prejudice??

If race has no meaning then calling racism a prejudice has no meaning either since you cannot be prejudiced for or against something that 'literally' doesn't exist.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 10:05am

According to Gandalf, all Islamophobia is based on racism. Perhaps he means he new definition of racism, which is based on Islamophobia.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #43 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 1:27pm

freediver wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 7:52am:
Quote:
This is no different to me standing up for the right of bigots to deny the holocaust.

Have you changed your mind about this recently?

no.

Quote:

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 1:37pm

Frank wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:34am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:52pm:
Quote:

If race 'literally' has no meaning - how the hell is racism the most destructive form of prejudice??

If race has no meaning then calling racism a prejudice has no meaning either since you cannot be prejudiced for or against something that 'literally' doesn't exist.

As FD so wisely said recently, words have meaning Frank, even if they are now far removed from their original or literal meaning. Case in point - the word "anti-semitic" is universally understood as specifically "anti-jew" behaviour. Yet a "semite" is simply someone who speaks a semitic language - which encompasses arabs, some Ethiopians, Maltese among others - as well as jews.

I'm sure a learned person as your good self can think of many other English words that are in that same category.

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print