Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32
Send Topic Print
I'm not saying its hot, but .... (Read 45283 times)
Squire
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: I'm not saying its hot, but ....
Reply #375 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 1:06pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:41pm:

Lee gets it hopelessly wrong again. (I can't wait to see how he weasels his way out of this one)
Lee you do realise that 18.7 and 25.9 which you have quoted are the average for all years.

The January 2017 average is 29.6 max and 21.6 min
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201701/html/IDCJDW2124.201701.shtml

So yes Sydney has just had it's hottest January on record

Lee has a Masters in Obfuscation, Mind Clouding, and Misdirection from the Trump university of alternative facts.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #376 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 2:20pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:41pm:
Lee you do realise that 18.7 and 25.9 which you have quoted are the average for all years.

You are right.

So according to BoM, and the if their figures are correct the mean is 21.56ºC. And yet their Highest mean temperature is still 21.0ºC. And this is supposed to be a professional outfit, isn't it?

And they're still showing the Highest maximum  monthly mean at 29.5ºC.

So I see that the mean maximum was a whopping 0.1ºC higher, and the Highest minimum monthly mean was 0.6ºC warmer.

See I can admit to my mistakes. The only person who doen't make mistakes is the person who does nothing. Wink

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #377 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 2:23pm

Squire wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 1:06pm:
Lee has a Masters in Obfuscation, Mind Clouding, and Misdirection from the Trump university of alternative facts.

You mean like Hilary got the most votes, Trump is the President? Wink

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #378 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 4:29pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 6:36am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:24am:
They do it to take advantage of the sun. I went to the beach about a month ago, for curiosity sake. It was not all that hot. But I did not spend much time in the sun, whether I was on the beach or at the park.

Some of the guys probably feel it's worth getting roasted on the beach and up for skin cancer in 30 years time just to ogle the girls in their string-bikinis. My own sun-blisters are only just now beginning to collapse and respond to the ointments my doctor has been prescribing for me. 

The scars on my back from all these biopsies must resemble that of Martin Riggs' bullet scars. Martin Riggs from Lethal Weapon movies, I mean. But that does little to discourage me from having outdoor activities. These days, I spend more time indoors during the day, and more time outdoors during the night. I never really have time to put on sunscreen for an outdoor activity. Perhaps I will do more to protect myself from the sun during mowing my massive yard. But, most of the time I do not concern myself with more than a hat and sunglasses for sun protection.

All I know is that there are doctors capable of fixing my situation if the problems get worse.

IP Logged

Squire
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #379 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 6:03pm

NSW is burning up:

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #380 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 12:40pm

20 mins in the garden. Buggered. My thermo is showing 36

IBI

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #381 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 2:05pm

Squire wrote on Feb 4th, 2017 at 6:03pm:

When ocean currents change the atmospheric currents reflect that change!

The antarctic polar current is tightening and the anti-cyclones off of it don't reach into the country like they used to.

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #382 - Feb 5th, 2017 at 2:42pm

Records will be rboken this summer as the heat goes on:

Quote:
Overnight temperatures in Sydney are not expected to drop below 26 on Sunday night and will reach 34C on Monday in the city.

If temperatures reach over 35C on in Sydney's city on Sunday, it will break a 120-year-old record for the most 35C days in summer, Jacob Cronje, a meteorologist for Weatherzone told Daily Mail Australia.

So far this year has matched the previous record of nine days over 35C in 1896.

Although temperatures reached 34.7C around 12pm, it has not cracked the record, Mr Cronje said.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #383 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 5:43pm

The heat goes on breaking records.

https://www.theguardian.com/weather/2017/feb/06/australias-heatwave-some-like-it...

Quote:
Records have been broken along the east coast of Australia amid multiple heatwaves which included 11 days when the temperature topped 30C and five days above 35C in Sydney in January. This broke not only all previous records for the month but for any month since records began in 1858.

January was hottest month on record in Sydney and Brisbane, says weather bureau
Read more
The stream of days over 35C is brutal enough, but it is the nights that are driving people quite mad. To butcher TS Eliot:

I have seen the mercury of my thermometer flicker,

And I have seen the eternal footman hold my sheets drenched in sweat at 3am, and snicker,

And in short, I was too hot.

These days I arrive at work at 6am covered in sweat. I have been lucky to sleep more than four hours at a time. I have given shelter to my friend who has no air conditioning and we have all camped in my living room on the night it was 35C at 1am. I have seen babies being held up to air conditioning vents for relief. I have gone swimming in the harbour at 9pm (that was actually quite nice).

Other Guardian Australia staff have found themselves at the end of their tether as well.

My normally quite sound environmental ethics have been thrown out the window – wound down only for this purpose because I have the air conditioning on full blast, obviously. I leave the air conditioning on all day and night, with the fan on to boot. I drive in an air-conditioned car to the air-conditioned Westfield shopping centre where I make meaningless purchases, all the while being angry that this heat must be a real boon for the expensive shops in Westfield. I skip yoga class because it’s too hot to go, I can’t go to the beach because it’s too hot, I just lie about in bed because the bedroom is the only room in the house with air conditioning. I am generally quite cranky. Spending hours on end contemplating the irony of climate change causing this heat while making it worse with my non-stop air conditioning is just generally doing my head in. When will it end? – Gabrielle Jackson

The heat broke me and I ran the air conditioner all night for the first time ever. I don’t feel good about this but it’s now 24C inside the house and I intend not to go outside ever. It makes me worry that my commitment not to waste energy is compromised so easily.

But an old tip we used to employ when I was a kid and didn’t have the option of wasting power on air conditioning and didn’t have a pool was to have a large bucket of water in the bath that we would periodically walk up to and dunk our entire heads into. That was actually really refreshing. – Miles Martignoni

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #384 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 1:26am

The heat is going to stay until Sunday at least:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/more-to-come-as-states-fight-to-beat...

Quote:
The town of Moree near the Queensland border has recorded 41 consecutive summer days of 35C or more, smashing the previous record of 17 consecutive days in the summer of 1981-82.

Sydney also got close to breaking a 120-year-old record yesterday for the most summer days over 35C since 1896, but the mercury rose only to 34.9C.

“There’s still 23 days of summer left and next Sunday the forecast is for a top of 36C so there’s still time yet to break that record,” said Bureau of Meteorology duty forecaster Zach Porter. Temperatures in Sydney had already soared over 30C by 9.30am and Sydney’s west sweltered through 40C temperatures at Bankstown and Penrith.

The heat will continue today with temperatures in Canberra, Brisbane and Sydney reaching the mid-30s until a cooler change in the afternoon. Uncomfortable conditions will return late in the week though, with the temperature expected again to climb into the 40s by Saturday.

“February is likely to be drier than normal and the maximum temperatures are likely to be warmer than average as well, so we’re well on our way to breaking more records” Mr Porter said.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #385 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 5:48am

It was 13 degrees this morning in Melbourne.

Is this summer?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #386 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 3:53pm

Its oofficial. January 2017 was Sydney's warmest month.

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney/city-file/article/sydney-its-looking-hottes...

Quote:
This January’s average temperature sits at 29.2 degrees, far above the overall January average (since 1859) of 25.9 degrees. It seems above-average summer temperatures have become a way of life in Sydney.

Quote:
Sydney in January 2017: the warmest month on record
January 2017 was the warmest on record for Sydney. Every station in the metropolitan area recorded its highest January mean temperature on record and most stations (including Sydney Observatory Hill) also broke records for mean maximum and minimum temperatures. Record-high numbers of warm nights and the equal-fewest cool days were recorded at Sydney Observatory Hill, while stations in western Sydney experienced record numbers of 40 °C days. Rainfall was below average across the city.

A very hot January
Daytime temperatures were well above average across Sydney during January, with several stations, including Observatory Hill, recording their warmest January on record.

At Observatory Hill, the January mean temperature of 25.6 °C was the highest on record for any month

Minimum temperatures were also record warm across the city, with all Sydney stations recording their warmest January mean temperature on record

At Observatory Hill, eleven days reached 30 °C (average 3 days) and five days reached 35 °C  (average 1 day), in both cases the second-highest number on record behind January 1896

Only three days failed to reach 25 °C, the equal-fewest on record with January 1994 (average 13 days)

In western Sydney, Richmond recorded seven days above 40 °C and Parramatta recorded five days above 40 °C, breaking the records set in January 2003

Five nights remained above 24 °C, more than double the previous record of 2 hot nights in 2010, with 25 nights remaining above 20 °C, the highest number on record (average 9 nights)

Several stations recorded their warmest January night on record on either the 14th, 18th, or 31st

Temperatures were particularly warm at Observatory Hill on the morning of the 18th, with record-warm temperatures of 31.2 °C at 6am and 36.5 °C at 9am

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #387 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 3:54pm

Its oofficial. January 2017 was Sydney's warmest month.

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney/city-file/article/sydney-its-looking-hottes...

Quote:
This January’s average temperature sits at 29.2 degrees, far above the overall January average (since 1859) of 25.9 degrees. It seems above-average summer temperatures have become a way of life in Sydney.

Quote:
Sydney in January 2017: the warmest month on record
January 2017 was the warmest on record for Sydney. Every station in the metropolitan area recorded its highest January mean temperature on record and most stations (including Sydney Observatory Hill) also broke records for mean maximum and minimum temperatures. Record-high numbers of warm nights and the equal-fewest cool days were recorded at Sydney Observatory Hill, while stations in western Sydney experienced record numbers of 40 °C days. Rainfall was below average across the city.

A very hot January
Daytime temperatures were well above average across Sydney during January, with several stations, including Observatory Hill, recording their warmest January on record.

At Observatory Hill, the January mean temperature of 25.6 °C was the highest on record for any month

Minimum temperatures were also record warm across the city, with all Sydney stations recording their warmest January mean temperature on record

At Observatory Hill, eleven days reached 30 °C (average 3 days) and five days reached 35 °C  (average 1 day), in both cases the second-highest number on record behind January 1896

Only three days failed to reach 25 °C, the equal-fewest on record with January 1994 (average 13 days)

In western Sydney, Richmond recorded seven days above 40 °C and Parramatta recorded five days above 40 °C, breaking the records set in January 2003

Five nights remained above 24 °C, more than double the previous record of 2 hot nights in 2010, with 25 nights remaining above 20 °C, the highest number on record (average 9 nights)

Several stations recorded their warmest January night on record on either the 14th, 18th, or 31st

Temperatures were particularly warm at Observatory Hill on the morning of the 18th, with record-warm temperatures of 31.2 °C at 6am and 36.5 °C at 9am

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #388 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 3:55pm

How sad. Wink

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #389 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 11:33am

... another scorcher is on the way:

"... Richmond’s February temperature record currently sits at 43.7 degrees. Mr Sharpe said there is a “good chance” that record will be surpassed on Saturday."
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/02/08/09/16/sydney-could-face-its-hottest-...

http://m.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/welcome-to-hell-on-earth-in-australia/314...

Quote:
THE next few days are going to be unbearable for large swathes of the country as an extreme heatwave sees temperatures soar.

Parts of Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria are expected to cop it the worst for the next four to five days, with temperatures predicted in the high 30s to possibly mid-40 degree mark.

The dire forecast saw the website of the popular weather tracker Higgins Storm Chasing crash overnight, as tens of thousands of social media users tried to get as much information as they could.

The looming spikes in temperature is also backed up by Bureau of Meteorology predictions for across regional Queensland New South Wales: see photo gallery below.

At the time of writing, it has nearly 23,000 shares, 10,000 likes and saw over 200,000 website views over the course of 20 minutes - it's clear people are concerned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 32
Send Topic Print