Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32
Send Topic Print
I'm not saying its hot, but .... (Read 45290 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: I'm not saying its hot, but ....
Reply #270 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 12:28pm

lee wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 12:23pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 10:56am:
lee wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 10:55am:
Jovial Monk wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 10:52am:
So you can’t explain the record warm Arctic temperatures. why didn’t you just say so, lees?

Citation needed.

Not heard of natural variation?

Record warm.

Record warm—outside normal variation.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #271 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 11:28am

Sydney is about to get scorched.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/sydney-weather-severe-heatwave-in-pros...

Quote:
Sydney weather: Severe heatwave in prospect prompts warnings to revellers

A blisteringly hot end to 2016 is in store for Sydney and those holidaying up the coast, prompting warnings from authorities to take care in the heat.

There's good news, though, for those making plans to enjoy the New Year's fireworks around Sydney Harbour.

Sydney's temperatures are expected to reach 30 degrees in the city and 37 in the west on Wednesday. The heat will be more punishing on Thursday, with 37 degrees tipped for the city and 42 in Penrith.

"The sea breeze won't be as strong tomorrow into Friday," Steph Spackman, a duty forecaster at the Bureau of Meteorology, said.

The bureau's heatwave service predicts almost all of the NSW coast will have a severe heatwave for the three days from Wednesday, while most of the rest of the state will have a low-intensity heatwave. (See chart below.)

The heatwave will intensify further, reaching extreme levels along the northern strip of coastal NSW for the three days from both Thursday and Friday.

Travellers should take care to carry sufficient water, check the air-conditioner and keep an eye on how others are coping, Ms Spackman said.

"I'd hate to be stuck in a traffic jam," she said.

Relief some way off

On current forecasts, Sydney won't cool off noticeably for several more days. Tops in the city are forecast to reach 33 degrees on Friday and 40 in Penrith.

Saturday will also warm into the low 30s in the city and mid-30s in western suburbs.

Importantly, overnight temperatures aren't expect to drop below 20 degrees before next Tuesday at the earliest, inhibiting the ability of people - and pets - to cool off after the warm days.

"The evenings will be quite warm and uncomfortable due to the humidity effects," Jacob Cronje, a senior meteorologist with Weatherzone said, adding that the high humidity expected will make conditions feel a couple of degrees warmer that the stated forecasts

"The only massive drop in temperatures will arrive on Monday," he said.

Sydney is likely to get some rain on Sunday, but not until the morning or early afternoon and so conditions should remain muggy but otherwise dry for revellers out near the harbour to welcome in 2017, Mr Cronje said.

There's the chance of a thunderstorm in Sydney's west on Saturday evening but sea breezes are likely to keep any storm activity away from the coast, the bureau's Ms Spackman said.

The hot spell is potentially the warmest final week of the year for Sydney for more than half a century, taking into account averages of minimums and maximums, Weatherzone, says.

Warnings

Several agencies have issued warnings about the coming heat, particularly as it may coincide with festivals and other year-end events.

There have also been as many as eight deaths in NSW since Christmas from drowning.

"Festival organisers should ensure that partygoers have access to free drinking water, shade, first aid services, and quiet areas where patrons to relax when they need a break," Michael Gannon, president of the Australian Medical Association, said in a statement.

Festival attendees also had a role to play in ensuring their own safety, and that of people around them, especially with alcohol and other substances being consumed.

"Taking illicit substances is illegal and dangerous, and tragically we have seen deaths and hospitalisations at festivals in previous years," Dr Gannon said.

Ben Scalley, NSW Health's Director of Environmental Health, said people should take precautions as the mercury starts to climb.

"Heat-related illness is very serious and ranges from mild conditions to very serious medical emergencies," Dr Scalley said. "Heat puts a lot of strain on the body and can cause dehydration, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. It can also make underlying health conditions worse."

People should drink lots of water and avoid alcoholic, hot or sugary drinks, he said. They should also plan their day around the heat, minimise physical activity and wear sunscreen and a hat if outdoors...

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #272 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 11:45am

Jovial Monk wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 12:28pm:
lee wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 12:23pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 10:56am:
lee wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 10:55am:
Jovial Monk wrote on Dec 26th, 2016 at 10:52am:
So you can’t explain the record warm Arctic temperatures. why didn’t you just say so, lees?

Citation needed.

Not heard of natural variation?

Record warm.

Record warm—outside normal variation.

No it's not.  its not even record warm. nevermind outside natural variation.  Also, 'natural variation' is about CLIMATE, not simple weather.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #273 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 12:37pm

longweekend58 wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 11:45am:
No it's not.

You agree? How disagreeable of you.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #274 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:01pm

New high temperature records are being reported nearly every day.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2016/1126/Svalbard-above-freezing-Shocking-...

Quote:
Svalbard above freezing? 'Shocking' temps have huge consequences

STOCKHOLM — The Arctic archipelago of Svalbard has seen such extreme warmth this year that the average annual temperature could end up above freezing for the first time on record, scientists said Friday.

Ketil Isaksen of the Norwegian Meterological Institute said that the average temperature in Longyearbyen, the main settlement in Svalbard, is expected to be around 0 Celsius (32 Fahrenheit) with a little over a month left of the year.

"This is a little bit shocking," Dr. Isaksen said. "If you had asked me five or 10 years ago, I could not have imagined such numbers in 2016."

The normal yearly average in Svalbard, an island group midway between the North Pole and continental Norway, is 6.7 C below zero (-20 F). The warmest year until now was 2006, when the average temperature in Svalbard was -1.8 C (-29 F), Isaksen said.

"Svalbard is a very good spot to show what's happening in the Arctic at the moment," he said, noting that each of the past 73 months has been warmer than average.

The rising temperatures in the Arctic are affecting permafrost and snow cover as well as the amount of sea ice, which this year was the second-lowest on record. Isaksen said the sea ice is building up much slower than normal as winter approaches.

"There are still huge areas in the Barents Sea and Kara Sea to the east of Svalbard that are free of ice," he said. "They should normally be ice-covered."

Scientists believe the loss of sea ice accelerates the warming because ice reflects sunlight back into space while the darker surface of the ocean absorbs most of the radiation.

Recommended: 'Never Look a Polar Bear in the Eye': 5 stories from a family's time near the Arctic
As The Christian Science Monitor's Rowena Lindsay wrote Wednesday:

Sea ice essentially acts as an air conditioner for the world, moderating global temperatures and creating a place for the heat brought in at the tropics to escape to so that the Earth does not simply grow exponentially hotter, Dr. [Brenda] Ekwurzel tells The Christian Science Monitor in a phone interview.

Additionally, anything white – snow, ice, glaciers, or ice sheets – will reflect energy from the sun back into space, helping to keep the Earth cool ... But when the ice melts, the sun hits the dark ocean waters instead, which absorbs rather than reflects the sun’s energy.
A report released Friday by the Stockholm Environment Institute identified the decline in sea ice cover and the thinning of the Greenland ice sheet among several "regime shifts" happening in the Arctic as a result of climate change.

"These regime shifts affect the stability of the climate and landscape, plant and animal species' ability to survive, and indigenous peoples' subsistence and ways of life," the institute said.

As the Monitor's Zhai Yun Tan wrote Friday:

The changes set in motion by global warming were particularly pronounced this year, with the lowest sea ice level recorded in both the Arctic and Antarctic  and the highest average global surface temperature occurring from January to June, with some Arctic islands experiencing above freezing average annual temperatures for the first time on record. As past research has shown that such changes are amplified in polar regions, scientists are concerned about local communities’ ability to survive the changes brought by global warming.

“Arctic ecosystems are changing in dramatic ways: ice is melting, sea levels are rising, coastal areas are eroding, permafrost is thawing and landscapes are changing as the range of species shift,” the authors wrote in the report. “Resilience enables people and ecosystems to cope with the shocks and stresses associated with these changes … Yet some changes are so substantial … that they fundamentally alter the functioning of a system.”
Several studies show the world as a whole is on track for a new heat record this year, with the El Niño weather phenomenon adding to the underlying warming trend.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #275 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:09pm

Quote:
The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in
some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report
to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulate, at Bergen , Norway

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change
in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone.

Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north
as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. 

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones,
the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic,
while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north,
are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and
make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

I must apologize.

I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported
by the AP and published in The Washington Post -
93 years ago.

This must have been caused by the Model T Ford's emissions.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #276 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:12pm

Valkie wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:09pm:
... I must apologize...

Apology accepted. Your problems are mostly genetic and not wholly of your making.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #277 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:16pm

Unforgiven wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:01pm:
The Arctic archipelago of Svalbard has seen such extreme warmth this year that the average annual temperature could end up above freezing for the first time on record, scientists said Friday.

Ketil Isaksen of the Norwegian Meterological Institute said that the average temperature in Longyearbyen, the main settlement in Svalbard, is expected to be around 0 Celsius (32 Fahrenheit) with a little over a month left of the year.

Based on predictions? Wink Has it never happened before?

Unforgiven wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:01pm:
Additionally, anything white – snow, ice, glaciers, or ice sheets – will reflect energy from the sun back into space, helping to keep the Earth cool ... But when the ice melts, the sun hits the dark ocean waters instead, which absorbs rather than reflects the sun’s energy.

According to-

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen

the sun is down all day. How does it achieve this reflection?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #278 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 2:14pm

lee wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:16pm:
... the sun is down all day...

Only in Denizen lee's and Valkie's world.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #279 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 2:37pm

The sun is not down all day for the whole year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longyearbyen

Quote:
Longyearbyen experiences midnight sun from 19 April to 23 August, polar night from 27 October to 14 February and civil polar night from 14 November to 29 January. However, due to shading from mountains, the sun is not visible in Longyearbyen until around 8 March.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #280 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 2:48pm

Carl D wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 2:37pm:

The sun is not down all day for the whole year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longyearbyen

Quote:
Longyearbyen experiences midnight sun from 19 April to 23 August, polar night from 27 October to 14 February and civil polar night from 14 November to 29 January. However, due to shading from mountains, the sun is not visible in Longyearbyen until around 8 March.

Now please show where I said it was down the whole year. It is currently down. Currently what effect is the sun having?

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #281 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 3:31pm

Unforgiven wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:12pm:
Valkie wrote on Dec 28th, 2016 at 1:09pm:
... I must apologize...

Apology accepted. Your problems are mostly genetic and not wholly of your making.

Thats all right little Troll.

I'm your friend, I understand your condition and I will make allowances.
You cant help it, but if you try really really hard, we might just be able to help you mix with normal people.
I'm in your corner buddy, you can do it.

Everyone, please be gentle with little unforeskin, he cant help it.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #282 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 4:52am

Nice temperate cool breeze with a bit of rain around here. This must be what it is like to live in Brisbane.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #283 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 11:33am

Sandgropers are:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/more-hot-weather-in-perth-befo...

Quote:
More hot weather in Perth before a cool-down later in week

Claire Tyrrell, PerthNow
January 3, 2017 3:35pm

PERTH'S heatwave is off to a sizzling start with the mercury hitting 40C just after 2pm.

The Weather Bureau has predicted more hot weather for the coming days as a trough hit the west coast.

“Today the trough will be pronounced and will move inland — we’re going to have hot conditions,” duty forecaster Tisha Winstanley said.

It had been forecast to hit 39C but slowly reached the high of 40C at 2.17pm.

Forecasters are now predicting that it will reach 41 C on Wednesday however the mercury is set to drop by Thursday when a weak frontal system moves in.

“In the wake of that front, a ridge will start to develop,” Ms Winstanley said. “Once it develops, it will heat up again.”

Thursday’s forecast maximum is 27C, Friday’s is 24C and on Saturday the temperature is predicted to reach a lovely 26C.

However, it is forecast to climb to 31C on Sunday.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #284 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 12:05pm

41 yesterday, and 41 again today.

Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 32
Send Topic Print