Send Topic Print
Bait (Read 904 times)
Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Bait
May 29th, 2015 at 7:18pm

Earlier this week we went fishing with squidgies instead of our usual prawns or worms. We had bites pretty quickly and I caught a flathead within 10 minutes or so. We ended up terminating our fishing date early because of the weather, but at the same spot have caught flathead and lots of bream with regular bait.

I find the squidgies preferable. They stayed on the hook longer, were far less messy and seemed to be just as effective.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Bait
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2015 at 7:30pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 7:18pm:
Earlier this week we went fishing with squidgies instead of our usual prawns or worms. We had bites pretty quickly and I caught a flathead within 10 minutes or so. We ended up terminating our fishing date early because of the weather, but at the same spot have caught flathead and lots of bream with regular bait.

I find the squidgies preferable. They stayed on the hook longer, were far less messy and seemed to be just as effective.

I should try squidgies. I wonder if they would work on whiting? I tend to use beach worms, which I catch myself.  Have you had much luck catching those?

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2015 at 7:41pm

John_Taverner wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 7:30pm:
Annie Anthrax wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 7:18pm:

I should try squidgies. I wonder if they would work on whiting? I tend to use beach worms, which I catch myself.  Have you had much luck catching those?

I haven't tried. How do you do it?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2015 at 11:21am

Annie Anthrax wrote on May 29th, 2015 at 7:41pm:
I haven't tried. How do you do it?

You need some local knowledge as to where to catch them, but this You Tube video shows how to do it:

I use a pair of plastic pliers, because they can bite.

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2015 at 12:07am

I believe our beloved Herbert Crab is an avid fisherman, capable of ensnaring many an unsuspecting sucker fish with his eye-popping baits. It's all in how it's presented, I'm led to believe. You can get your target fish to swallow any old rubbish, as long as you present it right.

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 9:34pm

But in all seriousness, I was out fishing the other day, just after dusk. I had been out fishing for herring and other small stuff, so had a hook with a bit of squid on it. Imagine my surprise when I'm suddenly on big time, and when I pull it up -- it's a good sized squid (tube about 20cm long) hooked through the tentacle.

Made the best chilli squid rings ever!

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print