Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Merchants of debt on 4 Corners tonight (Read 2628 times)
Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Merchants of debt on 4 Corners tonight
Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 7:07am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 10:08pm:
1300% to someone with little to no money.... disgraceful.  It's inevitable that most will fall into arrears and then suffer the extra costs.  Outrageous and a reflection on a piss poor government that puts profit for  nice people like businesses before people

I thin it's time for that revolution.

New party required to handle all of these issues ...

Who's with me?  Come on - do you want to live forever?

Settle. Grab a cuppa.

No one is being FORCED to do anything.  Poor CHOICES are being made. The power is in the hand of the consumer to say NO.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 9:33am

27 loans ? I mean why wouldn't you stop after the first couple ? She lost all self control due to the lure of easy online typing and clicking

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 9:56am

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 7:07am:
1300% to someone with little to no money.... disgraceful.  It's inevitable that most will fall into arrears and then suffer the extra costs.  Outrageous and a reflection on a piss poor government that puts profit for  nice people like businesses before people

Settle. Grab a cuppa.

No one is being FORCED to do anything.  Poor CHOICES are being made. The power is in the hand of the consumer to say NO.

Maybe they didn't want to get evicted from one of your rental properties. Imagine saying no to a landlord  Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 10:07am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:43am:
Sir lastnail wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 10:17pm:

Everyone should gang up and gut these loansharks by taking out as many loans as they can and not paying any of it back. They will soon go bust Cheesy LOL

That would be good nails, but it looks like they take your banking details and they direct debit the money the minute it hits the account, but that's easily fixed, start a new account and transfer your money, leave them a dollar just for the heck of it. As they say, there's more than one way to swing a dead a cat.

Yes it looks like these pricks are just a front for the bank and function as the strong arm of the bank Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 1:40pm

Not impressed with that CEO from Cash Converters.

Comes over as a real grub.

It's easy to become embroiled in the debt trap.

And it's not helped when they (the lenders) deliberately change the policy after it's signed for a 104 week time frame for repayments .... to a 12 month with 10 times the repayment amount per fortnight.

Deliberately confusing the issue by sending it as a text message for approval.

That should be illegal.

The original legislation caps should have been enforced & if that had meant businesses like Cash Converters were out of the money lending game .... so be it.

They can just stay as they started - 2nd hand goods & pawn shop.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 2:33pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 9:33am:
27 loans ? I mean why wouldn't you stop after the first couple ? She lost all self control due to the lure of easy online typing and clicking

Exactly.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 2:40pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 9:56am:

Settle. Grab a cuppa.

Maybe they didn't want to get evicted from one of your rental properties. Imagine saying no to a landlord  Sad

If a person cannot afford to pay their rent, they need to get another job OR look for a smaller place OR look further out.

They don't borrow money for something they cannot and will not afford. That's just insane.

I don't know why I have to state the bleeding obvious to you all the time.

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:08pm

The financial sector provides an essential service and is too crucial to the well being of a community to be left in the hands of a profiteering few.  We saw what happened in 2008. The whole world was thrown into a spin and we're still living with the effects today and for some time to come.   The sector desperately needs to be nationalised. Nationalise the banks!!!

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:32pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 2:40pm:

Settle. Grab a cuppa.

If a person cannot afford to pay their rent, they need to get another job OR look for a smaller place OR look further out.

They don't borrow money for something they cannot and will not afford. That's just insane.

Lisa, I think you will find that you and the Grappler are approaching this issue from 2 different perspectives. Grappler, as we can see, first offered the opinion that the lender behaved badly for, amongst other things, taking advantage of the borrower's vulnerabilities and charging 1300% interest for the loan. But from what I can tell you have totally ignored that issue and chose to focus exclusively on what you consider to be the shortcomings of the borrower.  Now in some of those opinions you may or you may not be right but I do think you owe Grappler the courtesy of responding to the issue he raised since you are purporting to reply to it. Namely (leaving aside the borrower for the moment) what's your opinion about the lender's behavior and of all the lenders who behave in that way and do you think that that kind of behaviour should be permitted to continue or should we do something about it.  You see by focusing exclusively on the borrower's "shortcomings" you give the impression that you approve and condone that behaviour or in any event excuse it and I'm curious to know which it is.   

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #24 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:53pm

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:32pm:

Settle. Grab a cuppa.

Lisa, I think you will find that you and the Grappler are approaching this issue from 2 different perspectives. Grappler, as we can see, first offered the opinion that the lender behaved badly for, amongst other things, taking advantage of the borrower's vulnerabilities and charging 1300% interest for the loan. But from what I can tell you have totally ignored that issue and chose to focus exclusively on what you consider to be the shortcomings of the borrower.  Now in some of those opinions you may or you may not be right but I do think you owe Grappler the courtesy of responding to the issue he raised since you are purporting to reply to it. Namely (leaving aside the borrower for the moment) what's your opinion about the lender's behavior and of all the lenders who behave in that way and do you think that that kind of behaviour should be permitted to continue or should we do something about it.  You see by focusing exclusively on the borrower's "shortcomings" you give the impression that you approve and condone that behaviour or in any event excuse it and I'm curious to know which it is.   

I'm not condoning anyone's behaviour here.

I'm just annoyed with people who don't think things through before they sign on the dotted line.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #25 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:54pm

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:08pm:
The financial sector provides an essential service and is too crucial to the well being of a community to be left in the hands of a profiteering few.  We saw what happened in 2008. The whole world was thrown into a spin and we're still living with the effects today and for some time to come.   The sector desperately needs to be nationalised. Nationalise the banks!!! 

You are dreaming. It's never going to happen.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:56pm

Settle. Grab a cuppa.

That's funny coming from you because I bet you don't mind when someone gets into massive debt to buy one of your investment properties from you ? I bet you grab the money and run and what happens after that is someone else's problem  Sad

And mind you that single women with three kids had a mortgage to pay. Little wonder she has to run to a payday lender just to keep her head above water. Wouldn't want to deny the banks their pound of flesh for a property that is probably only really worth a third of what she paid Sad

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #27 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 4:02pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:56pm:

Settle. Grab a cuppa.

That's funny coming from you because I bet you don't mind when someone gets into massive debt to buy one of your investment properties from you ? I bet you grab the money and run and what happens after that is someone else's problem  Sad

And mind you that single women with three kids had a mortgage to pay. Little wonder she has to run to a payday lender just to keep her head above water. Wouldn't want to deny the banks their pound of flesh for a property that is probably only really worth a third of what she paid Sad

You have this recurrung tendency to assume incorrectly.

1. I don't believe in selling any of my investment properties.

2. I was once a divorced woman ie single ... with 2 kids and a mortgage to pay.  I ran around WORKING AND SAVING. No payday lender was ever involved.

IP Logged

innocentbystander.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 4:06pm

Most people that use these services are drug addicts or pokie addicts or they have some other hang up, the people in the show probably had issues like that too but this was glossed over.

But yeah the lenders are scum regardless, basically they are dealing with people that are almost f--cked and giving them one last lifeline in order to make a profit before they go down for good.

They also have to charge insane interest to cover the many loans that will never be repaid, the people that pay back their loans in effect subsidise those that don't.

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 4:09pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:53pm:
ImSpartacus2 wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:32pm:

Settle. Grab a cuppa.

I'm not condoning anyone's behaviour here.

I'm just annoyed with people who don't think things through before they sign on the dotted line.
Have you ever reflected back on some things you did in your life and thought WOW, gee I was lucky to get away with that. And in that moment of vulnerability what if there had been a loan shark (or someone equivalent) waiting just to take advantage of your error of judgment or vulnerable nature. Yes some people are silly, some people make mistakes and some people always make mistakes. But does that mean we just simply forget about the people who prey on them and turn our focus on those, like you, who invariably will make a mistake in their lives (after all we are human). Well your post did just that!!!! Let the real culprits get off scott free. That's right, get the spotlight off these scum and their reprehensible practices and lets be all sanctimonious and holier then thou about their victims.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print