Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Muslims and Pigs
Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:05pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Sep 16th, 2014 at 6:27am:
Brian Ross wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:35pm:
wally1 wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:02pm:
Although muslims dont eat pork its doesnt make a place of worship impure.

If you purify yourself, it seems all is forgiven so I'm not sure why you'd be having nightmares, Annie.

Me either. I also had nightmares about going out without my scarf on when I wore it, which makes even less sense because I used to take it off at the beach as I kept losing it in the surf. So it's not like I never appeared in public without it.

That's the power of religion - there's a shitload of guilt involved.

You swam without your headscarf on? Did it feel liberating?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:20pm

Not particularly. I wore it because I wanted to at the time. I stopped when I didn't.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm

I'm like that with pants.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 9:47pm

freediver wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm:

Freeedom, innit.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 11:44pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Sep 16th, 2014 at 6:27am:
Brian Ross wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:35pm:
wally1 wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 8:02pm:
Although muslims dont eat pork its doesnt make a place of worship impure.

If you purify yourself, it seems all is forgiven so I'm not sure why you'd be having nightmares, Annie.

Me either. I also had nightmares about going out without my scarf on when I wore it, which makes even less sense because I used to take it off at the beach as I kept losing it in the surf. So it's not like I never appeared in public without it.

That's the power of religion - there's a shitload of guilt involved.

Yes, nearly all of them have it.  Christians - original sin - is a good example.  Then you have all the bullshit the Church(es) have heaped on top of that.   St.Paul has, in particular an awful lot to answer for IMHO.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #20 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 11:45pm

freediver wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm:

Really?  The mind boggles.   Shocked

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 2:20am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:20pm:
Not particularly. I wore it because I wanted to at the time. I stopped when I didn't.

Why did you want to wear it?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #22 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 6:47am

Because I felt like I was fulfilling a religious obligation and that was satisfying. I guess something similar to when a Christian observes Lent.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:52am

What makes the observant Christian different is that you cannot tell by looking at her that she is. Christianity is really in the heart, not on the sleeve and people find public demonstration of piety ostentatious. 
That revulsion and perception of showing off also applies to other religions public preening.

What did you think about demonstrating your Muslima credentials in public in a society where this is not the nor? Was there a dose of youthful rebellion in there?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 11:13am

Soren wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:52am:
What makes the observant Christian different is that you cannot tell by looking at her that she is. Christianity is really in the heart, not on the sleeve and people find public demonstration of piety ostentatious. 
That revulsion and perception of showing off also applies to other religions public preening.

What did you think about demonstrating your Muslima credentials in public in a society where this is not the nor? Was there a dose of youthful rebellion in there?

The old boy's a Freudian, Annie. He's only trying to help.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 2:44pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 6:35pm:
Now, I'm aware of the Islamic injunction against eating Pork and I'm also aware that Muslims regard pigs in general as "unclean", however it appears it is quite easy to purify oneself and objects/places from contact with Pigs/Pork.   All you need do is wash your hands or in the case of your mouth if having eaten it, with water (and according to some pundits, Earth).

What did $Profit Mo say to do when a dog licks a utensil-
Quote:
When a dog licks the utensil,wash it 7 times, and rub it with earth the eighth time
sunnah.com/muslim/2/119

So why do they have to wash it 7 times then rub it with dirt, does rubbing it with dirt defeat the purpose of washing it?

I would have thought washing it once would be sufficient.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 2:52pm

Yes, this is why the Pope wears a crown, the Cardinals those crimson robes and the bishops and priests their rich vestments, right?

Christians wear crucifixes, Christian women traditionally cover their heads in Church with a Mantilla.

Which weird denomination do you belong to?  Calvinists?   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:10pm

|dev|null wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 2:52pm:

Yes, this is why the Pope wears a crown, the Cardinals those crimson robes and the bishops and priests their rich vestments, right?

Christians wear crucifixes, Christian women traditionally cover their heads in Church with a Mantilla.

Which weird denomination do you belong to?  Calvinists?   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

1. On the job,  not when they are going to the movies.
2. A pendant on your necklace is neither here nor there.  If that's all you have to equate with the hijab or niqab then you know you are losing the plot.
3. Mantilla - IN CHURCH,  50 years ago.

Australiand do not like overt religious display outside places of worship.  It doesn't belong to the shared,  public space.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:31pm

Mantillas are still worn traditionally in Spain and other largely Catholic nations.

Quote:
Based on an interpretation of 1 Corinthians 11:2-16, it has been traditional in many countries for women to wear some form of Christian headcovering in church. The light mantilla was often preferred to the more cumbersome hat. The custom was rarely observed in recent decades but is making something of a comeback in recent years.[citation needed]

Papal protocol calls for mantillas to be worn by women, especially Catholics, when received in formal audience by the Pope. On such occasions, black mantillas were worn by Laura Bush in 2006, members of Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg at the papal inauguration of 2005, and Michelle Obama in 2009.[3] By contrast, Irish President Mary Robinson,[4][5] Soviet Union First Lady Raisa Gorbachev, Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo and German Chancellor Angela Merkel all met popes without wearing mantillas. Others who have worn black mantillas include Yulia Tymoshenko, Costa Rican President Laura Chinchilla, first ladies from Malaysia, Jordan, Iran, and Lebanon and ambassadors accredited to the Holy See.
Laura Bush wearing a silk lace mantilla at a meeting between her husband George W. Bush and Pope John Paul II at Castel Gandolfo

In accordance with what is known as the privilège du blanc, whereby Catholic female monarchs and the consorts of Catholic monarchs wear white when meeting the Pope, while black is traditionally, though now only optionally, worn by others, Queen Sofia of Spain wore a white mantilla at the requiem mass for John Paul II and at the inauguration of Pope Benedict XVI in 2005.

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantilla#In_Roman_Catholicism]

A lot more recent than "50 years ago".   Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:35pm

|dev|null wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:31pm:
Mantillas are still worn traditionally in Spain and other largely Catholic nations.

Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Not in Australia,  then,  you grinning fool.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print