Famous put downs (Read 6611 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Famous put downs
Feb 2nd, 2014 at 10:23am

Harold McMillan on John Foster Dulles:
"His speech is very slow, but it is well able to keep up with his ideas."

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: Famous put downs
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2014 at 1:27pm

Lady Astor (the former Nancy Langhorne from Virginia USA, the first woman to sit in the House of Commons) to Winston Churchill:
"Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee"

Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:41am

Blackadder - "Baldrick, you're fired."
Baldrick - (aghast) "Oh, but I've been in your family since 1532!"
Blackadder - "So has syphilis. Now get out."

Baldrick to Percy: "You ride a horse rather less well than another horse would. Your brain would make a grain of sand look large and ungainly and the part of you that can't be mentioned, I am reliably informed by women around the Court, wouldn't be worth mentioning even if it could be."

Prince Ludwig the Indestructible (an evil German):"You find yourself amusing, Blackadder."

His admirably cocky prisoner Blackadder: "I try not to fly in the face of public opinion."

Blackadder: "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."

Blackadder: "To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was something that just happened to other people, wasn't it?"

Percy: "I'm sorry I'm late."

Blackadder: "No, don't bother apologising. I'm sorry you're alive."

"Congrats. Stop. Have discovered only person in world less funny than you. Stop. Name - Baldrick. Stop. PS. Please, please, please - stop." (Blackadder's telegram to Charlie Chaplin, after seeing Baldrick's Chaplin impression)

Blackadder: "Baldrick, your brain is like the four-headed, man-eating haddock fish-beast of Aberdeen."
Baldrick: "In what way?"
Edmund Blackadder: "It doesn't exist."

Baldrick: "I have a cunning plan to save the king."
Edmund Blackadder: "Ha! Well forgive me if a don't do a cartwheel of joy; your family's history in the department of cunning planning is about as impressive as Stumpy O'Leg McNolegs' personal best in the Market Harborough marathon."

Blackadder: "Shut up, with the greatest respect, your Majesty."

Blackadder: "Your head is as empty as a eunuch's underpants."

Blackadder to the disgusting Baldrick: "You're the worst entertainer since St Paul the Evangelist toured Palestine with his trampoline act."

Blackadder: "You're the worst cook in the entire world. There are amoeba on Saturn who can boil a better egg than you. Your Filet Mignon in sauce Béarnaise look like dog-turds in glue."

Baldrick: "That's because they are."

Blackadder: "Your plum-duff tastes like it's a molehill decorated with rabbit-droppings."

Baldrick: "I thought you wouldn't notice."

Blackadder: "Your cream custard has the texture of cat's vomit."

Captain Blackadder: "Baldrick, what are you doing out there?"

Private Baldrick: "I'm carving something on a bullet, sir."

Captain Blackadder: "What are you carving?"

Private Baldrick: "I'm carving 'Baldrick', sir."

Captain Blackadder: "Why?"

Private Baldrick: "It's part of a cunning plan, sir."

Captain Blackadder: "Of course it is."

Private Baldrick: "You know how they say that somewhere there's a bullet with your name on it?"

Captain Blackadder: "Yeeees?"

Private Baldrick: "Well I thought that if I owned the bullet with my name on it, I'll never get hit by it. Cause I'll never shoot myself..."

Captain Blackadder: "Oh, shame!"

Private Baldrick: "And the chances of there being *two* bullets with my name on it are very small indeed."

Captain Blackadder: "Yes, it's not the only thing that is 'very small indeed'. Your brain for example - your brain's so minute, Baldrick, that if a hungry cannibal cracked your head open, there wouldn't be enough to cover a small water biscuit."

Blackadder: "I've a horrid suspicion that Baldrick's plan will be the stupidest thing we've heard since Lord Nelson's famous signal at the Battle of the Nile: 'England knows Lady Hamilton's a virgin, poke my eye out and cut off my arm if I'm wrong' ".

Captain Blackadder to Squadron Leader Flasheart: "Unfortunately most of the infantry think you're a prat. Ask them who they'd rather meet, Squadron Commander Flasheart or the man who cleans out the public toilets in Aberdeen, and they'd go for Wee Jock Poo-Pong McPlop every time."

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2014 at 3:16am by Cofgod »  

IP Logged

Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 2:39am

Blackadder on Dr Johnson's dictionary: "It's the most pointless book since 'How To Learn French' was translated into French."

Blackadder on the French: "I hardly think a nation that eats frogs and would go to bed with the kitchen sink if it put on a tutu is in any position to preach couthness."

Blackadder: "A war hasn't been fought this badly since Olaf the Hairy, high chief of all the Vikings, accidentally ordered 5000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside."
Percy: "I must say, Edmund, it was jolly nice of you to ask me to share your breakfast before the rigours of the day begin."

Edmund: "Well, it is said, Percy, that civilised man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that, through learned discourse, he may rise above the savage and closer to God."

Percy: "Yes, I've heard that."

Edmund: "Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me I'm best."

Blackadder: "He's got more mills than you have brain-cells, sir."
The Prince Regent: "How many mills?"
Blackadder: "Seven, sir".

Blackadder to Baldrick: "Unless I think of something, tomorrow we go to meet our maker: in my case God, in your case God knows, but I doubt he's won any design awards."

Blackadder: "Baldrick, in the Amazonian rain forests there are tribes of Indians as yet untouched by civilisation who have developed more convincing Charlie Chaplin impressions than yours."

Blackadder: "You really are as thick as a bowl of clotted cream that's been left out in the sun by some clot, until the clots are so clotted up you couldn't unclot them with an electric declotter, aren't you Baldrick?"

Mrs. Miggins: "Bonjour, monsieur."
Blackadder: "What?"
Mrs. Miggins:" Bonjour, monsieur - it's French".
Blackadder: "So is eating frogs, cruelty to geese and urinating in the street, but that's no reason to inflict it on the rest of us."

Percy: "Oh good, I see the target is ready." [Picks up the bow] "I'd like to see the Spaniard who could make his way past me."
Blackadder: "Well, go to Spain. There are millions of 'em."

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2014 at 3:26am by Cofgod »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:25am

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 2nd, 2014 at 1:27pm:
Lady Astor (the former Nancy Langhorne from Virginia USA, the first woman to sit in the House of Commons) to Winston Churchill:
"Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee"

Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

thats my fav as well..... so quick..such a put down.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:29am

I never watched Blackadder I am so sorry now...

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 7:50am

Groucho Marx...I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception.

Groucho....I'd never belong to a club that would have me as a member.

Bette Davis...What a dump!

IP Logged

FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 11:17am

Australian fast bowler Glen McGrath to portly South African Eddo Brands (I think?)…

McGrath - “Hey Brands, why are you so fat?”

Brands – “Because every time I f.k. your wife she gives me a cookie”

>>>>>

Shane Warne to South African Darryl Cullinan (Warne had got him out many times and they had not faced off for a while)

Warne – “I’ve been waiting 2 years to get another crack at you!”

Cullinan – “Looks like you spent it eating” - baaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:04pm

“Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"
Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!" Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”
― Winston Churchill.

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 1:33pm

yeh - ha ha - I'd forgotten that one froggie. The man was a master for the gems. Of course a lot of them might have been said by other people but what's it matter.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 2:05pm

Churchill was such a classic, my favourite

I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

Someone closer to home

"You (Richard Carleton) had an important place in Australian society on the ABC and you gave it up to be a pop star...with a big cheque...and now you're on to this sort of stuff. That shows what a 24 carat pissant you are, Richard, that's for sure"

On Former Labour politician, Jim McClelland (over the phone):

"That you Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a f***ing dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of poo over the rest of us."

"He is the greatest job and investment destroyer since the bubonic plague."

"Now listen mate," [to John Browne, Minister of Sport, who was proposing a 110 per cent tax deduction for contributions to a Sports Foundation] "you're not getting 110 per cent. You can forget it. This is a smacking Boulevard Hotel special, this is. The trouble is we are dealing with a sports junkie here [gesturing towards Bob Hawke]. I go out for a piss and they pull this one on me. Well that's the last time I leave you two alone. From now on, I'm sticking to you two like sh!t to a blanket.

"You've been in the dye pot again, Andrew."

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 2:10pm

Speaking of the dead, of whom we are cautioned not to speak ill, do you remember Tammy Fraser on/to Richard Carlton:
"You are lower than a snake's duodenum" followed by a memorable walk out through darkened studios.

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 2:12pm

Apparently Henry Parkes (NSW Premier 5 times and campaigner for federation) had a sharp wit. 

Member of Parliament to Parkes: Sir you are two-faced
Parkes: Obviously you're not or you wouldn't have brought that one.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #13 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 2:19pm

I remember the saying when Malcolm Fraser was P.M. "Tammy has one, Malcolm is one."

IP Logged

Datalife
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2014 at 2:23pm

George Reid's quick wit and affinity for humour were demonstrated when a heckler pointed to his ample paunch and exclaimed "What are you going to call it, George?" to which Reid replied: "If it's a boy, I'll call it after myself. If it's a girl I'll call it Victoria.

But if, as I strongly suspect, it's nothing but piss and wind, I'll name it after you."

From wiki

"If they’re out there in the high seas, what you would do is seek to turn them back through the agency of the Australian Navy".

Kevin Rudd on 2GB, July 12, 2007

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print