IP Logged

RightSadFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Gonskis goneski
Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:22am

Sprintcyclist

Just ignoring the detail on Gone-Ski.

I find it odd that the ALP can turn a traditional area of strength into a negative.

Moving money around from one area of education to another ?

The problem for the ALP they have squandered all this money for no real gain or even political gain.

Running around claiming they have economic credentials then announcing politically motivated big policies that seem to add up to nothing ........ I can not recall a government not only so incompetent but so politically stupid.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:44am

RightSadFred wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:22am:
Sprintcyclist

Just ignoring the detail on Gone-Ski.

I find it odd that the ALP can turn a traditional area of strength into a negative.

Moving money around from one area of education to another ?

The problem for the ALP they have squandered all this money for no real gain or even political gain.

Running around claiming they have economic credentials then announcing politically motivated big policies that seem to add up to nothing ........ I can not recall a government not only so incompetent but so politically stupid.

I get the real feeling now is, she knows shes gone... and this is her way of trashing the place before we dump her..

a bit like the kid that gets sent home from the party for being naughty... he throws up all over the place before he leaves.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 8:34pm

One of the big problems with Gillard's insane gouging of university funding is the changes to how students pay for their degrees. A large part of the funding for the Gonski farce is supposed to come from HECS debt repayments. However, that's money that they can only predict will be taken in as revenue. It's not a guaranteed and stable source of revenue because students don't need to repay their HECS debt until they reach a certain level of pay. At present the nation-wide HECS debt stands at about $22bn. This is going to create a massive black hole in Gillard's Gonski (or should it be Con-ski???) plans...

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 8:42pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 8:34pm:
One of the big problems with Gillard's insane gouging of university funding is the changes to how students pay for their degrees. A large part of the funding for the Gonski farce is supposed to come from HECS debt repayments. However, that's money that they can only predict will be taken in as revenue. It's not a guaranteed and stable source of revenue because students don't need to repay their HECS debt until they reach a certain level of pay. At present the nation-wide HECS debt stands at about $22bn. This is going to create a massive black hole in Gillard's Gonski (or should it be Con-ski???) plans...

How much is meant to come from hecs repayments?

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 8:58pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 8:42pm:

I can't remember. I was talking to a friend of my wife's today. My wife is a high school head teacher of english and history and her friend is an executive-level manager in the NSW Dept of Education who's worked in the system more than 30 years. He's the one who told me about this. In a nutshell, he said it's more or less the same as the mining tax. The government has gone and planned how to spend what they expect to get from it, but in the end they got nothing at all from the mining tax. Could be the same with the HECS thing too.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:01pm

dingo2 wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 3:09am:
Team Froggie wrote on Apr 16th, 2013 at 3:18pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 16th, 2013 at 12:51pm:
1. Backdrop looks like the govt.
2. What are the kids doing out of school ?
3. Who are the other retarded leftardian adults there ?
4. is it immoral to rope kids into a political stunt ?

It so sucks

1. Get it right...Parliament House.
2. School excursion?
3. Ignore stupid question.
4. Does this apply to Abbott frightening kids in a pre-school photo-op??

Smiley

What gives them the ridht to use a school exchusion group to hold there placards.

I am shaw these kids parents wouldn't aprove.

I don't give a Gonski

you used to wag a lot didn't you?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:05pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 8:58pm:

I can't remember. I was talking to a friend of my wife's today. My wife is a high school head teacher of english and history and her friend is an executive-level manager in the NSW Dept of Education who's worked in the system more than 30 years. He's the one who told me about this. In a nutshell, he said it's more or less the same as the mining tax. The government has gone and planned how to spend what they expect to get from it, but in the end they got nothing at all from the mining tax. Could be the same with the HECS thing too.

right, but HECS is fully funded under the budget, right? So then the $22B hecs debt is actually the debt owed to the government by the students. Surely you're not suggesting every student will become unemployable under a Tony government? or that their incomes are going to be below $49,000?  And if that's the case, surely repayments will be made to the government as part of tax collection, and this money can be re-invested into school funding?

Oh, and the difference between the mining tax and HECS is that the mining tax is a crap design by Swan, trying to save the remnants of a once good policy, simply because he has no idea how to sell.  HECs on the other hand has been part of the system for decades and yearly brings in revenue for the government. They have data to allow them to measure expectations,even in the event of Tony stuffing things up so badly that every student is either earning $12 an hour in a professional position, or is simply unemployable because no more jobs exist.

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:08pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:05pm:

right, but HECS is fully funded under the budget, right? So then the $22B hecs debt is actually the debt owed to the government by the students. Surely you're not suggesting every student will become unemployable under a Tony government? or that their incomes are going to be below $49,000?  And if that's the case, surely repayments will be made to the government as part of tax collection, and this money can be re-invested into school funding?

No, what I'm saying is that not every student will begin repaying their debt as soon as they finish their degree because not all will come out with a job earning the required amount for repayments to be made. That will make it nigh on impossible to budget this element of Gillard's plan. It's rorbbing Peter to pay Paul and crossing your fingers and hoping you find enough money at Peter's place.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:12pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:08pm:

No, what I'm saying is that not every student will begin repaying their debt as soon as they finish their degree because not all will come out with a job earning the required amount for repayments to be made. That will make it nigh on impossible to budget this element of Gillard's plan. It's rorbbing Peter to pay Paul and crossing your fingers and hoping you find enough money at Peter's place.

Oh you missed this part I added in just after you quoted:

Oh, and the difference between the mining tax and HECS is that the mining tax is a crap design by Swan, trying to save the remnants of a once good policy, simply because he has no idea how to sell.  HECs on the other hand has been part of the system for decades and yearly brings in revenue for the government. They have data to allow them to measure expectations,even in the event of Tony stuffing things up so badly that every student is either earning $12 an hour in a professional position, or is simply unemployable because no more jobs exist.

It's not the same as robbing Peter to pay Paul.  Peter's borrowed that money so Peter isn't being robbed from, but rather he is paying it back. So the government has decided to re-invest Peter's repayment to help Paul. And they know they can pay Paul because there are many Peters ,from decades of this program running, who are returning their borrowings to the Government.

The only reason HECs repayments may dramatically fall is if Tony stuffs things up to such a degree that our unemployment sky rockets. Are you suggesting this?

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:20pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:12pm:

It's not the same as robbing Peter to pay Paul.  Peter's borrowed that money so Peter isn't being robbed from, but rather he is paying it back. So the government has decided to re-invest Peter's repayment to help Paul. And they know they can pay Paul because there are many Peters ,from decades of this program running, who are returning their borrowings to the Government.

The only reason HECs repayments may dramatically fall is if Tony stuffs things up to such a degree that our unemployment sky rockets. Are you suggesting this?

No. Again, I'm saying that it's akin to the problems with the mining tax. Swan has budgeted for such-and-such in revenue from that tax and has gone and spent the money he budgeted for despite it not being there yet. Since then, there has been zero revenue, as we all know. A similar situation is possible with HECS, as it is impossible to know how many students will repay their HECS debt at any time and by how much.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:24pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:20pm:

No. Again, I'm saying that it's akin to the problems with the mining tax. Swan has budgeted for such-and-such in revenue from that tax and has gone and spent the money he budgeted for despite it not being there yet. Since then, there has been zero revenue, as we all know. A similar situation is possible with HECS, as it is impossible to know how many students will repay their HECS debt at any time and by how much.

See above. 

The modelling on HECs is a lot more sophisticated than the modelling on the mining tax in its first year and during a time of dropping resource prices. So, what you're suggesting is that under Tony things will become so dire that HECs models become redundant.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:32pm

gonski = jew?

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:45pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:24pm:
Armchair_Politician wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:20pm:

See above. 

The modelling on HECs is a lot more sophisticated than the modelling on the mining tax in its first year and during a time of dropping resource prices. So, what you're suggesting is that under Tony things will become so dire that HECs models become redundant.

Again, no! I'm simply saying it is impossible for anyone to forecast what the government will receive in terms of HECS repayments in any given year and to rely on it so heavily in this Gonski plan is a recipie for disaster. You simply cannot predict how many ex-students will get jobs, when they will get them or how much they will be able to repay.

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:47pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Apr 17th, 2013 at 9:45pm:
Again, no! I'm simply saying it is impossible for anyone to forecast what the government will receive in terms of HECS repayments in any given year and to rely on it so heavily in this Gonski plan is a recipie for disaster. You simply cannot predict how many ex-students will get jobs, when they will get them or how much they will be able to repay.

Armchair, are we really doing this? It's called MODELLING.  HECs has been around for DECADES.  There is very SOLID DATA that allows analysts to do fairly good predictions.  Your suggestion that it's impossible is utter crap. And it's very easy to predict how many students will get jobs - unless your suggesting another economic tsunami is heading our way that noone can see, and one that Tony won't be able to control? What you're suggesting is SUCH a CHANGE in ECONOMIC CONDITIONS that MAKE THE MODELS REDUNDANT.  Are you scared about Tony's PMship?? 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print