Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
5 Star "Eco" Pool Pumps (Read 2046 times)
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
5 Star "Eco" Pool Pumps
Sep 23rd, 2012 at 9:05am
 
Has anybody had any experience with 5 Star pool pumps? They mostly run on variable speed motors and are rated around 100 watts but still deliver the same flow as conventional pumps.

I'm thinking about getting one and powering it using a single solar panel. The 250Watt panels are fairly cheap to buy now that most states have removed the premium feed in tariff, and you can pick up a 600Watt inverter for under $200.

I've just started to look into it, but the starting price is around $800, and in Queensland, various suppliers are giving a $150 cashback.

The payback on the pump itself makes it a no brainer (especially for those without solar panels), but the dedicated solar panel idea is basically feeding the nerd in me. I thought it would be a good idea to  combine a shade area with a solar panel .
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
rabbitoh07
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 2783
Gender: male
Re: 5 Star "Eco" Pool Pumps
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2012 at 6:21pm
 
muso wrote on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 9:05am:
Has anybody had any experience with 5 Star pool pumps? They mostly run on variable speed motors and are rated around 100 watts but still deliver the same flow as conventional pumps.

I'm thinking about getting one and powering it using a single solar panel. The 250Watt panels are fairly cheap to buy now that most states have removed the premium feed in tariff, and you can pick up a 600Watt inverter for under $200.

I've just started to look into it, but the starting price is around $800, and in Queensland, various suppliers are giving a $150 cashback.

The payback on the pump itself makes it a no brainer (especially for those without solar panels), but the dedicated solar panel idea is basically feeding the nerd in me. I thought it would be a good idea to  combine a shade area with a solar panel .

I got one.  It works great.  Creepy Crawley still creeps and crawls fine.  Quiet as buggery.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: 5 Star "Eco" Pool Pumps
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:48pm
 
I just got one last week - a Viron 280.. Only one problem - a priming problem. I seem to have air in the pump suction. The problem is that I get bubbles in the pool and the DE filter fills up with air. On medium speed, it works fine. I'm still working on the priming problem - and quiet, yes a marked improvement.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
William22
New Member
*
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 2
Gender: male
Re: 5 Star "Eco" Pool Pumps
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 3:14pm
 
I know onga pool pump work very best.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
gizmo_2655
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 16010
South West NSW
Gender: male
Re: 5 Star "Eco" Pool Pumps
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2013 at 4:27pm
 
muso wrote on Oct 9th, 2012 at 8:48pm:
I just got one last week - a Viron 280.. Only one problem - a priming problem. I seem to have air in the pump suction. The problem is that I get bubbles in the pool and the DE filter fills up with air. On medium speed, it works fine. I'm still working on the priming problem - and quiet, yes a marked improvement.


sounds like it might be a sealing problem muso...air leaking in through the seals on higher speeds
Back to top
 

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: 5 Star "Eco" Pool Pumps
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2013 at 9:16pm
 
Yeah. I got a replacement unit and it works perfectly. It was a faulty unit. The pool is looking great and it's costing me less in electricity.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print