Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why do we talk so much about equality? (Read 332 times)
Loki

Serial Flake

Why do we talk so much about equality?
Jun 1st, 2012 at 1:42pm

We talk about equality so very much, yet nothing is ever really done when it comes to crunch time. When the low-paid workers got the $17 pay rise today, the business and industry representative was out saying some industries should be exempted, and that the rise was too much and put too much of a burden on business interests.

Executive pay and bonuses continue to rise, not to mention the 'expenditures' allowances given to those in top posts. When will the conversation about equality actually equate to some change in the trend towards a widening gap? Why is it so hard to argue that instead of sacking workers or downgrading working environments, the top earners should instead expect 45c less per hour in their expected pay rise?

If a company's percentage cost paid in wages must fall or remain steady each year compared to its profits, why must the lowest paid take the hit in their pay growth and not those at the top? Surely a measly 17 dollars a week is peanuts for those who earn over 100,000 a year? Surely they can give that up on their next wage increase.

Yet time and again, we are given two choices: accept lower pay rises for those who are most vulnerable, or deal with staff cuts that affect the same. Why are we trying to push people into a choice between slavery or unemployment? A wage that guarantees a person only the minimums of survival is not a wage, it's slavery. Slaves used to get housing, food, clothes for their work. Now the workers get to forego beatings, and keep working for their other privileges.

Why do we talk about it so much if the bottom line never changes? Executive salary increases are seen as a natural thing in the name of 'attracting' talent, yet even after the biggest meltdown of the financial sector, we're seeing pay levels return and exceed those pre-GFC. When will talk go beyond just talk? What exactly are the arguments for keeping top-level pay increases in lieu of the same for those lower down?

Surely a 2.9% increase on the highest wages and a 4% increase in the lowest would be less expensive than if it were the other way around.

Apologies, your constitution has expired, please try again.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Why do we talk so much about equality?
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 1:46pm

Oh the poor poor corporations . . . . .

*cries blood*

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 3:42pm

"Surely a 2.9% increase on the highest wages and a 4% increase in the lowest would be less expensive than if it were the other way around. "

Although I see that you are trying to be pure at heart, it actually doesnt mathematically work like that.

Take a large company like Coles with over 100,000 employees.  Lets say for arguments sake they have the equivelant of 50,000 full time employees on the minimum wage of $551.

The $17.10 a week equals 3.1%.

Say we give them the extra 0.9% you talk of (Taking them to 4%), which would have meant an additional $4.96 a week.  Chicken feed, but multipled by 50,000 employees x 52 weeks the additional cost is $12,896,000.

The CEO of Coles last year including bonuses got $15,100,000.

Now if he only got a 2% pay rise, 2% of 15,100,000 is only $302,000.  Well short of the extra $12,896,000 you speak of.

I know you mean well, but mathematically it just doesnt add up. 

I merely pointing out that in large corporations, $5 a week can really add up, and its not that simple as saying the CEO could fund it instead of a pay rise, because as Ive illistrated, forgoing the pay rise wouldnt pay for it.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 3:46pm

I would agree with Verge here.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 3:54pm

The current system is not designed for equality.
It would be like trying to drive a diesel car on unleaded.

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:12pm

bobbythefap1 wrote on Jun 1st, 2012 at 3:54pm:

The other reality is the number of people on million dollar salarys is very limited, and that small business is still a major driver of employment.

We need to be careful not to punish small business because we are focusing on the salaries of "fat cats".

I think the handing down of 3.1% was fair.  It wasnt over, wasnt under.

The way to punish the "fat cats" is not by granting larger minimum wages, rather installing ceilings in wages.  If that drives the "best and brightest" overseas, then as far as Im concerned that just opens up more opportinuties for people here.  No one is irreplaceable.

And why not, if you will permit me; why shouldn’t I, if you will permit me; spend my first week as prime minister, should that happen, on this, on your, country - Abbott with the Garma People Aug 13

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:17pm

Verge wrote on Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:12pm:

The other reality is the number of people on million dollar salarys is very limited, and that small business is still a major driver of employment.

We need to be careful not to punish small business because we are focusing on the salaries of "fat cats".

The way to punish the "fat cats" is not by granting larger minimum wages, rather installing ceilings in wages.  If that drives the "best and brightest" overseas, then as far as Im concerned that just opens up more opportinuties for people here.  No one is irreplaceable.

I prefer a ratio that means a fat cat can not earn a certain percent more then their lowest paid employee

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

Verge
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:19pm

bobbythefap1 wrote on Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:17pm:
Verge wrote on Jun 1st, 2012 at 4:12pm:

I prefer a ratio that means a fat cat can not earn a certain percent more then their lowest paid employee

Then is inheritanly unfair when you consider things like permanents, casuals and part timers.

I'd rather see the ratio tied to the average wage as opposed to the specific business.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print