Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The two party system no longer works (Read 3250 times)
GoddyofOz
Gold Member

Vote 1 for Sex, cause
you're gay if you don't

The two party system no longer works
May 2nd, 2012 at 6:45pm

It's been awhile since the last GoddyofOz editorial, so here is one that's about something that is nowhere near discussed enough.

Australia needs a third major party, and I'm not talking about a smaller arbiter like the Greens. I'm talking about a third powerhouse, similar to what the U.K has set up. The diversity of the demographics in this country has grown far too wide for two major parties to handle, especially as both of them continue their drift to the Right.

The toxic and hopeless situation that now encapsulates our politics would be solved with the formation of a new party that is fiscally conservative and socially progressive. If we are to be a truly democratic country, we have to be willing to meet each other half way.

As a Centre-Leftist, I would be willing to allow the Right to have their Fiscal Conservatism if they allowed us to have our Social Liberties. Fair enough deal or what?

It has to be better then the sh*thouse situation we have now, with a PM and Opposition leader nobody wants. We need this third party and we need it to be elected with a strong majority, so we can remind Labor, the labor movement, the Coalition and big business who it is exactly that they answer to.

Not to factions; not to powerbrokers; not to outside organisations; not to shareholders. They answer to US. The voters. The consumers. For without us, none of them would have a job at all.

"A Conservative is a man who just sits and thinks, mostly just sits." - Woodrow Wilson.

True Patriotism is serving your country all the time, and serving your Politicians when they deserve it.

IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Re: The two party system no longer works
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2012 at 6:47pm

GoddyofOz wrote on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:45pm:
It's been awhile since the last GoddyofOz editorial, so here is one that's about something that is nowhere near discussed enough.

Australia needs a third major party, and I'm not talking about a smaller arbiter like the Greens. I'm talking about a third powerhouse, similar to what the U.K has set up. The diversity of the demographics in this country has grown far too wide for two major parties to handle, especially as both of them continue their drift to the Right.

The toxic and hopeless situation that now encapsulates our politics would be solved with the formation of a new party that is fiscally conservative and socially progressive. If we are to be a truly democratic country, we have to be willing to meet each other half way.

As a Centre-Leftist, I would be willing to allow the Right to have their Fiscal Conservatism if they allowed us to have our Social Liberties. Fair enough deal or what?

It has to be better then the sh*thouse situation we have now, with a PM and Opposition leader nobody wants. We need this third party and we need it to be elected with a strong majority, so we can remind Labor, the labor movement, the Coalition and big business who it is exactly that they answer to.

Not to factions; not to powerbrokers; not to outside organisations. They answer to US. The voters.

Well if the polls ring true it is a one party system.

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

corporate_whitey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Archivist
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2012 at 6:50pm

You already have all that, you are just after a free lunch.  Socially progressive?  WTF is that? Undecided

World Wide Working Class Struggle

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:01pm

The problem is THEY dont want a 3rd party so it wont ever be an option. Didnt howard bring in some law about no more new parties starting up?

SOB

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

nairbe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rural NSW
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:03pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 2nd, 2012 at 7:01pm:
The problem is THEY dont want a 3rd party so it wont ever be an option. Didnt howard bring in some law about no more new parties starting up?

SOB

First i heard of that, but thats no biggy. Does anyone have a story on this??

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage."
Confucius

IP Logged

john_g
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:03pm

There doesn't have to be this 'system' at all, though. People vote for the government. If people voted for the Greens in all 150 seats, then they would be the governing party, with all the seats in Parliament.

Yes, we always have a Liberal/National or Labor government (or hung with one of these, as is now) but that's because people vote that way. No one forces them to do so.

IP Logged

GoddyofOz
Gold Member

Vote 1 for Sex, cause
you're gay if you don't

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:12pm

john_g wrote on May 2nd, 2012 at 7:03pm:
There doesn't have to be this 'system' at all, though. People vote for the government. If people voted for the Greens in all 150 seats, then they would be the governing party, with all the seats in Parliament.

Yes, we always have a Liberal/National or Labor government (or hung with one of these, as is now) but that's because people vote that way. No one forces them to do so.

That's because they believe the bullshit.

You need only look at the last election; Both parties go into election mode, promise a whole lot of sh!t then as soon as the election is over and they're in the clear, they go back to answering to Ideological factions.

"A Conservative is a man who just sits and thinks, mostly just sits." - Woodrow Wilson.

True Patriotism is serving your country all the time, and serving your Politicians when they deserve it.

IP Logged

john_g
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:14pm

GoddyofOz wrote on May 2nd, 2012 at 7:12pm:

That's because they believe the bullshit.

You need only look at the last election; Both parties go into election mode, promise a whole lot of sh!t then as soon as the election is over and they're in the clear, they go back to answering to Ideological factions.

IF that's why, and I dispute that it is, it's still the choice of the people, and it's democratic.

IP Logged

Maqqa
Gold Member

14% - that low?!

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:16pm

Social liberties are the centre piece of my thread on the Nanny State

I would advocate this social liberty if you can guarantee me your social liberty will not impact the rest of society

Bill 14% is not the alcohol content of that wine. It's your poll number

IP Logged

GoddyofOz
Gold Member

Vote 1 for Sex, cause
you're gay if you don't

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2012 at 7:27pm

Maqqa wrote on May 2nd, 2012 at 7:16pm:
Social liberties are the centre piece of my thread on the Nanny State

I would advocate this social liberty if you can guarantee me your social liberty will not impact the rest of society

And how exactly would what I do in my private life impact you, Maqqa?

IP Logged

corporate_whitey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Archivist
Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2012 at 8:25pm

The progressive nanny state has had its day.  Joe Hockey said the age of entitlement is over.  You get what you work for.

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2012 at 9:00pm

GoddyofOz wrote on May 2nd, 2012 at 6:45pm:

Not to factions; not to powerbrokers; not to outside organisations; not to shareholders. They answer to US. The voters. The consumers. For without us, none of them would have a job at all.

To have a true Democracy, it should be compulsory for every politician to answer any correspondence from any citizen.
Questions like this should be answered in a true Democracy.

To
Senator Don Farrell
431-439 King William Street
Adelaide 5000

20.April 2012

Dear Mr.Farrell.
In your residents survey the last question states, “Did you know the government has cut taxes and increased pensions”?
I.am a part pensioner and last year I did not have to pay tax, but had to pay $320.00 Medicare levy, and that on a combined income of $38,000.00, yet an acquaintance of mine who has double my income was surprised that I had to pay the Medicare levy, because he did not have to pay any tax nor Medicare levy, because his income is from a so-called taxed super fund.

Three-pillar retirement policy.

Australia has a three-pillar approach to the provision of retirement incomes, the three pillars comprising a means tested age pension and associated social security arrangements, compulsory superannuation savings through the superannuation guarantee arrangements, and voluntary superannuation and other private savings.(Quotted by Bill Shorten)

This is very convenient for the government to keep the age pensioners which depend to some degree on the age pension as poor as possible by the means testing of the pension, while the voluntary and private savings provide the retirees in this group with huge tax benefits.

When the Howard government introduced the tax-free super for the over sixties, if the income came from a taxed fund, this gave people on high incomes huge tax savings possibilities.

According to OECD, Australian pensioners are the second poorest, after Ireland among the OECD countries, and this is due to the means testing of the age pension.

Australia - OECD
www.oecd.org/dataoecd/8/61/43071222.pdf
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
23 Jun 2009 – More than one in four Australian seniors live in poverty on international measures . This is the fourth highest old-age poverty rate in the OECD ...

IP Logged

corporate_whitey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Archivist
Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2012 at 9:06pm

Employer funded superannuation costs jobs and is an entitlement that should go. Cool

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2012 at 9:41pm

The introduction of compulsory-optional preferential voting in some states will make it harder for third parties to compete.

Quote:
To have a true Democracy, it should be compulsory for every politician to answer any correspondence from any citizen.

Is that a joke? Or are you trying to institutionalise the form letter?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2012 at 10:17pm

Yep, finally some sense.
These parties are always voted in, and it is we the voter who does it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print