Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PNG threatens Australia/other nations (Read 531 times)
GoddyofOz
Gold Member

Vote 1 for Sex, cause
you're gay if you don't

PNG threatens Australia/other nations
Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:05pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-05/png-defers-national-elections/3935706

Quote:
Papua New Guinea's government has warned other countries, particularly Australia, not to interfere in its internal affairs after it delayed its elections.

PNG's parliament voted 63-11 to defer the mid-year elections for six months after hearing a report that preparations were inadequate.

The move comes despite repeated assurances from prime minister Peter O'Neill that polling would go ahead as planned.

Voting was due to begin at the end of June. It is the first time elections have been delayed in PNG's history.

Perhaps in anticipation of an international backlash, deputy prime minister Belden Namah warned other countries not to interfere.

He singled out Australia's Foreign Minister Bob Carr who floated, then later retracted the idea of imposing sanctions on Papua New Guinea if elections were delayed.

"Whatever Mr Bob Carr says about sanctions, I want to say this: do not threaten the independence of this country," Mr Namah said.

Mr Carr is yet to comment.

But in a statement, Prime Minister Julia Gillard made no mention of sanctions but maintained Australia believed the elections should be held on time.

Before the vote in parliament, the PNG minister assisting the prime minister on electoral matters, Waka Goi, delivered an update on electoral preparedness.

He said there was a fundamental shortfall of around $30 million, electoral rolls were not ready and police were also not ready to provide security.

During the debate most MP's supported the moves, while others said the delay should only be two months.

Mr Namah said the deferral was a special case and the government was not hungry for power.

Former attorney general Sir Arnold Amet says the deferral is unconstitutional and will be challenged in court.

I think the Deputy Prime Minister of PNG should be very careful with his language when telling us or anybody else not to interfere in their affairs.

"A Conservative is a man who just sits and thinks, mostly just sits." - Woodrow Wilson.

True Patriotism is serving your country all the time, and serving your Politicians when they deserve it.

IP Logged

corporate_whitey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Archivist
Re: PNG threatens Australia/other nations
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 7:09pm

Well i'll be a monkeys uncle, fancy telling communists from foreign countries to stay out of your countries internal business and mind their own business.  I tell them to p!ss off all the time when they cold call me or knock on my door to sell me something but they just dont get it... Wink Cheesy

World Wide Working Class Struggle

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:23pm

How the hell does this harm other nations.
He shouldnt have to tell them to stay the **** out of it, sadly he does.
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2012 at 10:54am by perceptions_now »  

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:39pm

I think the Deputy Prime Minister of PNG should be very careful with his language when telling us or anybody else not to interfere in their affairs.

WHY?

would you stand for another country to tell Australia what to do with its elections.??????

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 8:00am

cods wrote on Apr 5th, 2012 at 9:39pm:

WHY?

would you stand for another country to tell Australia what to do with its elections.??????

it is starting to look like another Fiji on our doorsteps. Democracy is a fragile thing and in some countries and cultures it is even more so. it seems third-world nations find it hardest.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

chimera
Gold Member

Australian Politics

armidale
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:13pm

"He said there was a fundamental shortfall of around $30 million," Cheesy Tongue Cry

IP Logged

MOTR
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2012 at 6:42pm

I'm glad they know we are watching.

Hunt says Coalition accepts IPCC findings

"What does this mean? It means that we need to do practical things that actually reduce emissions."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print