Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
this expressed concept, defining barbarism (Read 5186 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
this expressed concept, defining barbarism
Dec 30th, 2011 at 10:59am

I came across this expressed concept [defining barbarism, or savagery] posted by dumbledoresarmy, which i thought really 'said it' quite clearly...

Quote:

dumbledoresarmy  | June 22, 2011 7:13 PM  | Reply

....The definition of the true savage, according to G K Chesterton, in his essay 'the barbarism of Berlin', is the refusal of the principle of reciprocity.

The true savage laughs when he hurts you, but HOWLS when *you* hurt *him*.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2011/06/i-hope-that-kuwait-will-enact-the-law-forsex-s...

That principle, of the ideal of human reciprocity, was also stated by Jesus....

Matthew 7:12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

+++

Judaism and Christianity, and many other religions of men, accept that principle, of the ideal of human 'reciprocity'.

But one religion does not embrace that principle.

One religion ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to embrace that principle.

The principle of reciprocity [i.e. egalitarianism in law] is rejected by ISLAM, and therefore, by all moslems.
[n.b. a moslem, being a person who embraces the tenets and laws of ISLAM.]

Why is that stated proposition, above, true?

It is true, because ISLAMIC law does not allow such reciprocity [in law] - EXCEPT BETWEEN MOSLEMS.

The ummah [the worldwide moslem community] are a closed community [in law, i.e. in moslem law].

To ISLAM [to good moslems!], all human beings outside the ummah have the status of cattle.

Those outside the ummah [i.e. human beings who are non-moslems] can live, while they are 'useful' to moslems, but they are not 'protected' [in law].

as is expressed per....
"....those who reject Allah have no protector."
Koran 47.008
v. 8-11

Non-moslems have no equal protection [no equality with a moslem] in law, in any ISLAMIC jurisdiction.

e.g.
A non-moslem cannot testify against a moslem in a Sharia court, because the testimony of a non-moslem is not accepted as truthful, solely because he is a non-moslem.

Moslems, ISLAM, discriminate [unjustly and unequally] against those who are not moslems.

Q.
AND WHY ???

A.
BECAUSE IT IS 'UNLAWFUL' WITHIN A SHARIA JURISDICTION FOR A MOSLEM AND A NON-MOSLEM TO BE TREATED AS EQUALS, IN LAW.

+++

n.b.
This principle of reciprocity [i.e. egalitarianism in law] is a principle which has been embraced within all societies which have been influenced by Judaeo/Christian ethics [the ethics taught in OT & NT scripture].

And it cannot be denied, that this principle of reciprocity [i.e. egalitarianism in law] is a principle 'pillar' of ancient Judaic law, i.e. OT law in the Bible, the law of God which was given to Moses....

Exodus 12:49
One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Exodus 22:21
Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him...

Exodus 23:9
Also thou shalt not oppress a stranger...

Leviticus 19:33
And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him.
34  But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself...

Leviticus 25:47-49
[these verses clearly speak of [and reveal that it was entirely 'lawful'] for Hebrews [themselves] to become bond servants [slaves], to prosperous strangers living among the Hebrews.]

Deuteronomy 1:16
And I charged your judges at that time, saying, Hear the causes between your brethren, and judge righteously between every man and his brother, and the stranger that is with him.

Deuteronomy 10:17-19
For the LORD your God... loveth the stranger, ...Love ye therefore the stranger:
for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 24:17
Thou shalt not pervert the judgment of the stranger, nor of the fatherless; nor take a widow's raiment to pledge:
18  But thou shalt remember that thou wast a bondman in Egypt, and the LORD thy God redeemed thee thence: therefore I command thee to do this thing.

Deuteronomy 27:19
Cursed be he that perverteth the judgment of the stranger...

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Re: this expressed concept, defining barbarism
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2012 at 10:00pm

Another way of saying something quite similar is that  barbarian is incapable of irony when he is looking in the mirror. He can't see himself self-critically.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 8:03am

The term "barbarian" came from the Romans. It originally meant bearded people. It was a pejorative term. Anyone who was not Roman was somehow uncultured or uncivilised. The vast unwashed bearded ones. They too celebrated their bigotry. This ability to generalise based on appearance or different background, was picked up by the great British Empire.

We have so much to thank the Romans for.  Tongue

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 9:11am

It's from the Greek (via Sanskrit), actually,  and it referred to the blabbering, stammering, hairy beasts of the middle east, the Persians.

(yassou, Amadd.)

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 9:13am

Yes. Soren is right.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2012 at 1:09pm

You're right, but it came to us through the Romans. At least the Greeks had an admiration for the Celts and Scythians. The Romans basically regarded everybody who was not Greco-Roman as barbarian, and that included Celts and Germanic people alike.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2012 at 4:58am

It would be very easy for any of us to be a 'barbarian', methinks.

We men are all flawed, and corrupted [by this world, imo].

And any undisciplined 'child' could be an unthinking 'barbarian', methinks.

I like this quote.

I like its clarity.

"Right is only in question between equals, and while the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must."

Thucydides (460-400 B.C.) Greek Historian

Which is probably a good description of the credo of the true barbarian [and of any undisciplined soul] ?

I think that we perhaps only really overcome barbarism with reason [with reason-ing].

We overcome ['criminal'] barbarism when we come to embrace reason/contemplation/meditation?

When we come to an understanding of our circumstances?

When we come to an understanding that
'except for the grace of God', there go ourselves,
when we see the lamentable circumstances of many of those [who are like us, who are] worse off than ourselves.

We only overcome barbarism [within ourselves] with reason, and with compassion?

And what to do, with those who are determined to embrace barbarism [i.e. those who are determined to embrace selfish, ruthless, behaviour] ?

Let God sort em' out ?

Or, [for our own safety, and for the safety of those we love, or care for] do we have the right to seek to separate ourselves from those among us, who are determined to embrace a selfish barbarism ?

Personally, i think that we not only have that right, but that we do have a responsibility to protect potential victims, from the 'cares' of barbarians.

i.e.
I believe that we must accept [some] moral responsibility for what occurs within our close sphere of influence.

i.e.
We should seek to protect the weak and the innocent within our influence, from the 'tender mercies' of barbarians.

Otherwise, in what way are we any 'better' than the barbarians themselves?

+++

Psalms 37:1
Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.
7  Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
8  Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.
9  For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 4:58pm

You've nailed it, Yadda. Barbarism is not secular. It lies within us all. However, very few of us, I think, are able to erradicate it with reason alone.

What we need is action guided by reason. All great teachers (and gods) have stated this. The more we practice, the more reason we obtain. Knowledge is not merely the result of studied analysis; it comes with compassion. As we wake up, it gradually dawns on us that we are no different to any other being. We have the same capacity for barbarism, and the same inherent greatness.

Of course, I may well be wrong.

Namaste.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 5:22pm

Yet knowledge and reason can also be used the other way: to dominate.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2012 at 11:15pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 13th, 2012 at 4:58pm:
You've nailed it, Yadda.

Barbarism is not secular.

It lies within us all. However, very few of us, I think, are able to erradicate it with reason alone.

I gotta heartily disagree with you K.

Barbarism is precisely secular.

IMO, barbarism is not sacred, it is not holy.

But it is secular, very much so.

e.g.
What is more 'secular' and temporal, and more barbaric, than the 'philosophy' which this quote expresses ???.....

"Right is only in question between equals, and while the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must."

Thucydides (460-400 B.C.) Greek Historian

And what that quote expresses, imo, is the philosophy of Cain.

Who was not a sacred man, imo.

Cain was a man who sought temporal and secular advantage, by murder.

Dictionary;
secular = = not religious, sacred, or spiritual.

Dictionary;
temporal = =
1 of or relating to time.
2 relating to worldly affairs; secular.

What we need is action guided by reason.

All great teachers (and gods) have stated this. The more we practice, the more reason we obtain.

Knowledge is not merely the result of studied analysis; it comes with compassion.

As we wake up, it gradually dawns on us that we are no different to any other being. We have the same capacity for barbarism, and the same inherent greatness.

Namaste.

I agree with you, that reason, having that capacity within us, is 'expansive' for our understanding.
....that is, our understanding of ourselves and the world?

THERE IS NO POINT IN ATHEISTS READING ANY FURTHER - WHAT FOLLOWS WILL ONLY OFFEND YOUR SENSIBILITIES.
      Grini

Personally, i would rather speak about meditation [.....rather than reason].

IMO, meditation is empowering [.....and for both good and/or evil !! ].

Engaging in meditation enables us to really focus, our........'understanding'?
[.....maybe i'm being a little optimistic here, in trying to convey my meaning ???? ]

But then, what do we choose to focus our minds upon ???

"Beware of the darkside Luke!"
      Cheesy

I mean, if 'left to our own devices' what will most of us choose to focus ['meditate'] our minds upon ???
[.......imo, that is our primary reason for being ['here'].  in this life we reveal ourselves, we reveal how we will choose, if given freedom!]

And i ask again...... what will we choose to focus our minds upon ???

Seeking out the 'best' 'short-cuts' in life, to our achieve our desires ?
[.....i can mentally hear some of you asking;
"And why is that necessarily a bad thing?"
     Roll Eyes   ]

+++

These words of Jesus were, imo, urging us to a sensible, a sacred, meditation in this life.....

Matthew 22:36
Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38  This is the first and great commandment.

For a deeper understanding of what that particular meditation is about, see also Deuteronomy ch 5 + ch 6

IMO, what we [predominately] meditate upon in this world [in this life] is [clearly] where our 'cares' in this world will be.

We choose that place [where our 'cares' are], because we [ourselves] always choose what we will meditate upon in this life.

Most of us, imo, will be 'overcome' by this world [.....i mean we become fixated and 'obsessed' on the cares of this life].

Meditation has the power to open >> a << spiritual world to each of us.

But, which spiritual path will we each choose?

I firmly believe that what we [choose to] meditate upon, is bound to have an important influence upon us.

And often, for either good or bad.

e.g.
Christians read and study the Bible.
Moslems read and study the Koran.

To what effect ???

Matthew 12:35
A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

IMO, meditation is badly underrated [and its real power is not understood] by most of mankind.
.....because most of us are 'lost' in the world.

+++

Psalms 1:1
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2  But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2012 at 11:25pm by Yadda »  

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 1:21am

You've nailed it, Yadda.

Barbarism is not secular.

It lies within us all. However, very few of us, I think, are able to erradicate it with reason alone.

IMO, barbarism is more likely to rise up, and come to the fore, in those men who are 'distracted' and fixated upon the cares of this temporal world.

Because in being distracted, this world is all that those men can see, and so this world dominates their 'reasoning'.

Some men firmly believe that this world is the only reality.       Cheesy

It is the world which i can see.    [I see the world too.]     Grin

All knowledge must be based in, must come from, experience.

All knowledge, that is worthy of that name, should be a knowledge which is based in experience.

I do not live your life.

In the darkness, i can see the light.

And in this body, i see only a prison.

The light, the light,   .....i seek the light.

Yadda          Smiley

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 8:50am

You've nailed it, Yadda. Barbarism is not secular. It lies within us all. However, very few of us, I think, are able to erradicate it with reason alone.

What we need is action guided by reason. All great teachers (and gods) have stated this. The more we practice, the more reason we obtain. Knowledge is not merely the result of studied analysis; it comes with compassion. As we wake up, it gradually dawns on us that we are no different to any other being. We have the same capacity for barbarism, and the same inherent greatness.

Namaste.

(OK, I appreciate the mode of that post, but nevertheless...)

I find that the more extreme attitudes more often come out of uneducated people. Anyone who follows a professional discipline is much more inclined to think in more detail about what he says or does, rather than follow the herd.

So I agree with your point about action guided by reason.

We could extend that to societies. A society that is not guided by rational decisions is more inclined to be barbaric.

So projecting that concept, which is more barbaric? -  a country ruled by an elite of hand picked professionals (Italy at the moment) or a democracy with a low educational standard where bad decisions (economic and otherwise) are made to placate the voting population?

Food for thought.  (Note that I didn't profer an answer.)
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2012 at 9:01am by muso »  

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 4:32pm

muso wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 8:50am:

Namaste.

(OK, I appreciate the mode of that post, but nevertheless...)

I find that the more extreme attitudes more often come out of uneducated people. Anyone who follows a professional discipline is much more inclined to think in more detail about what he says or does, rather than follow the herd.

Exactly, Muso. The more extremist and ideological, the more ignorant. The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

There are few absolute rules in this world, but I think that's one.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 7:24pm

muso wrote on Jan 14th, 2012 at 8:50am:

I find that the more extreme attitudes more often come out of uneducated people. Anyone who follows

a professional discipline #1

is much more inclined to think in more detail about what he says or does, rather than follow the herd.

So I agree with your point about action guided by reason.

We could extend that to societies.

A society that is not guided by rational decisions is more inclined to be barbaric.

#1 above,

Yeah, that is correct.

And the name Josef Mengele comes to mind.

But yes muso, we should surrender the governance of the world to university educated intellectuals.
.....and soon we would be approaching a utopian society.
[reminds me of the plot of that old 1936 movie; Things to Come imdb]

And falah and myself, should get a room.
....coz falah and myself have so much in common.

Right muso ?      Wink

LOL

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2012 at 7:38pm

Two things:

Muso - Professional conduct in itself is no guarantee of rationality. Being a technocrat or an official is not rational.

PB - Not all societies are governed by reason. This in itself calls for a hirerachical view and the rejection of 'we are all the same'.  So Yadda is correct, despite your approval...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print