Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O'Farrell makes first mistake (Read 5228 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

O'Farrell makes first mistake
Apr 2nd, 2011 at 9:07am

Re-assigning Coutts-Trotter, a convicted drug dealer and husband of Plibersek, to the Finance top job is a total mistake. A person like this is not fit for any senior job.

O'Farrell puts stamp on public service From: AAP April 01, 2011 9:30PM
PREMIER Barry O'Farrell's has begun to reform NSW's public service, with the head of health becoming the first bureaucrat to be dumped.
He's also pinched South Australia's top public servant to head his own department and moved the director-general of education to the department of finance and services.

"The public service has been racked by nepotism and political appointments in NSW for too long, and today we start the change to end that process," Mr O'Farrell said as he announced the changes late today.

Mary Foley will replace Debora Picone as director-general of health while former education head Michael Coutts-Trotter will head up finance and services.

Mr Coutts-Trotter, husband of federal Labor MP for Sydney Tanya Plibersek, was expected to be one of the first on the chopping block and Mr O'Farrell said his reappointment showed he was committed to hiring public service chiefs on merit.

"I and my colleagues will always look for people who have merit, for people who can do the job, and people who can deliver the services to the people of this state," the premier said.

Asked why he had sacked Professor Picone, who had been director-general of health for nearly four years, Mr O'Farrell would only say that her replacement was the "best equipped to deliver the changes that are required".

Dr Foley has more than 30 years' experience in the health industry, both in the private sector and in the NSW and commonwealth public services.

"I'm very humbled by the opportunity to take this on," she said.

Both the Australian Medical Association and NSW Nurses Association said they looked forward to working with her.

The new head of Mr O'Farrell's own department is Chris Eccles, the chief executive of the South Australian department of premier and cabinet.

The man currently in the job, Brendan O'Reilly, was offered the chance to continue but could not commit to the full four-year term.

Speaking on ABC's Stateline today, Mr O'Farrell said the royal commissioner of the judicial electricity inquiry will most likely be announced next week.

The inquiry, announced by the premier this week, will examine the controversial $5.3 billion electricity privatisation by the Labor government.

Mr O'Farrell said he was concerned by the federal government's climate change adviser Ross Garnaut's suggestion that recent electricity prices have been inflated to gouge consumers and inflate dividends.

"It does reflect a concern I have," he said.

"I want to make sure that what is invested is appropriate, I want to make sure that what is invested will deliver reliability.

"But importantly, I want to make sure that what's being invested isn't going to artificially or unfairly boost power prices, particularly for people that live in the country and western suburbs."

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Re: O'Farrell makes first mistake
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 2:09pm

His FIRST mstake was trying to
"do a Baillieu"
with the inherited state of NSW's finances

THE budget black hole is less alarming than Barry O'Farrell would have voters believe.

The deterioration in the budget outlook will certainly make it more difficult for the new Premier to finance his election promises and deliver budget surpluses. But when you compare the $4.5 billion black hole between now and mid-2015, with what O'Farrell's government will spend in that period, it looks a bit more like a pothole. That $4.5 billion is less than 2 per cent of the $248 billion that NSW can be expected to spend on its activities over the next four years.

The headlines after his budget announcement probably left many voters believing NSW faces a deficit of $4.5 billion. In fact, the black hole is the estimated variation from cumulative budget surpluses projected until 2013-14 added to the unpublished estimated deficit for 2014-15. The cumulative total of deficits over the new forward estimates comes to just under $1.6 billion.

The figures actually show the O'Farrell government will start off with bigger budget surpluses than forecast last December for this financial year and next

An extra $226 million is now forecast in those two years.

http://www.optuszoo.com.au/news/breaking/smh/black-hole-will-soon-become-pothole...

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 2:34pm

I won't argue with you buzz as I no longer have the energy for accounting problems. But if there is a "black hole" in the forward estimates that still amounts to a shortfall in the net budget figure over the projected period I would assume.
Anyhow, I still think his first serious mistake is to leave Mr Plibersek in a position which at the least makes the security of State financial information doubtful.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

skippy.
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 2:53pm

Why is it a mistake?
What ever happened to do your time and  rehabilitate?Are you saying anyone who's ever done time should never be entitled to work again? If he's qualified why not? Should Hanson be banned from ever standing for parliament again because she did time, thanks to Tony Abbott?

freedivers other forum- POLITICAL ANIMAL
Click onWWW below 
IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 3:43pm

History ...  

Give me a chance: schools' chief

April 11, 2007

The state's new top educator has defended himself from allegations by the Opposition that he is unsuitable for the job because of his history as a heroin addict and criminal, who spent almost three years in jail on a drug charge.

Speaking on 2UE radio this morning Michael Coutts-Trotter, who was yesterday appointed director-general of the Education Department, said while he understood the criticism and felt it a "not unreasonable question", he was appropriate for the job.

"It's been a question that's been asked at every point in my career and I have revealed my background at every point in my career," he said.

"I've been lucky enough to encounter people along the way who have been prepared to give me the benefit of the doubt, allow me to prove myself and to reserve their judgement, and I hope [Opposition education spokesman Brad] Hazzard will do that and give me a chance to really get into this job."

Yesterday Mr Coutts-Trotter was targeted by Mr Hazzard, who suggested the appointment was a political fix.

"The question really is, how is it, that someone who had a nine-year jail sentence for drug importation and who has no educational qualifications ends up as the director-general of public eduction in NSW? And the answer might well be that he's a Labor mate," Mr Hazzard said.

However, Mr Coutts-Trotter told smh.com.au that he has been appointed purely on merit.

He said: "I wouldn't have taken the job if I didn't think I could do it and take on the responsibility,'' he said.

"I need to explain the facts of my life and I'm quite prepared to.

"Twenty three years ago I was convicted of a very serious drug offence. I was a drug user and a drug seller and luckily and remarkably in life I've been given a second chance.

"For every job I've applied for, I've indicated the facts of my life. I've told people about who I am, what I've done. And I've gone for those jobs on merit.

"I've got 12 years experience in the public sector, much of it at a very senior level and I've been judged on performance, not on what happened 23 years ago.

"It is legitimate, but the more time passes and the more I do at work, the less relevant I think it becomes.''

Mr Coutts-Trotter said he had undergone police checks to ensure his suitability for working with children and security clearance from the Commonwealth

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/give-me-a-chance-schools-chief/2007/04/11/11...

And he's been a poor performer since then ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 3:47pm

A person with a serious criminal conviction is in my opinion NEVER suitable for a senior role in the public service.
And a person married to a Minister in a govt of the opposition party is not a suitable person to be in charge of sensitive information.
I can't imagine what has possessed O'Farrell and I can only surmise there is more to it than we might ever know about.

IP Logged

Wattle Grove
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:00pm

bogarde73 wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 3:47pm:
A person with a serious criminal conviction is in my opinion NEVER suitable for a senior role in the public service.
And a person married to a Minister in a govt of the opposition party is not a suitable person to be in charge of sensitive information.
I can't imagine what has possessed O'Farrell and I can only surmise there is more to it than we might ever know about.

I do a Pauline Hanson

"Please Explain."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print