Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
We made the top 10 (Read 3734 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender: male
We made the top 10
May 12th, 2010 at 2:28pm
 
I know it is only a silly environmentalist site, but we still came in at number 9, on their list of the top 10 countries destroying the planet.


Aussie, aussie, aussie, OI, OI, OI!!!

I must admit to being surprised about number 1 on the list, with the USA at #2, I had pegged what I expected to be the top spot holder before I started reading, but they did not make it above #3, with a lot of help from burning up the resources we are digging up.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/top-10-countries-ruining-the-planet.html?&page=...

So come on aussies, if we just keep denying we have any problems, I am sure we can get even higher, although we have a relatively small population, compared to land mass, if we all just try and use a bit more, we can get into the top 3, of that I am sure.
Back to top
 

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2010 at 3:46pm
 
There is something significantly wrong with the weighting system if Brazil comes out as number 1.

The fact that Mexico appears on that list confirms my suspicions that it's dodgy.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Soren
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 25654
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2010 at 9:05pm
 
muso wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 3:46pm:
There is something significantly wrong with the weighting system if Brazil comes out as number 1.

The fact that Mexico appears on that list confirms my suspicions that it's dodgy.



Your reflex of not seeing the ridiculousness of Australia, your own country, being No 10 is telling.  This civilisation is wasted on you and people like you, Mr Musician. And I do not dislike you.
Imagine how those who dislike wishy-washy western  relativists like you would react.

Wink

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Paella
Senior Member
****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 290
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2010 at 9:55pm
 
I haven't looked at the list, but I suspect that deforestation must have weighed heavily in the assessment criteria, hence Brazil's rank. But it's still a crock. The USA would have to be number one on the basis of consumption alone. Then there's the matter of its significant contribution to the global trade and finance agreements that are forcing Brazil to torch the Amazon in the first place.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
aikmann4
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 2093
canberra
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2010 at 10:31pm
 
We're not number one? I just turned all the lights and electrical heating devices in this house on and then left my SUV running in park. No way are we going to let a bunch of mutts and beaners have the better of us!
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
aikmann4
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 2093
canberra
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2010 at 10:36pm
 
delete
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mozzaok
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2010 at 2:02am
 
I appreciate, and noted the fact that this came from a site that may be a bit on the "extreme" side, and does not even pretend that it is a comprehensive scientific analysis, but even so, even considering the limited, and unevenly weighted criteria being used, a little country like us making it into the top 10 is still noteworthy.

It is useful as a comparative reference for the issues the site focuses on, to see how we do have certain issues we could be handling in a more responsible way.

It is just a curiousity, and a talking point, and certainly too vague and unscientific to be basing direct policy decisions upon, but it highlights areas worth investigating further.
Back to top
 

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2010 at 8:03am
 
Soren wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 9:05pm:
muso wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 3:46pm:
There is something significantly wrong with the weighting system if Brazil comes out as number 1.

The fact that Mexico appears on that list confirms my suspicions that it's dodgy.



Your reflex of not seeing the ridiculousness of Australia, your own country, being No 10 is telling.  This civilisation is wasted on you and people like you, Mr Musician. And I do not dislike you.
Imagine how those who dislike wishy-washy western  relativists like you would react.

Wink



You do understand that the higher the number, the better the environmental performance? We just snuck into the top 10 worst performers.

National Pride has nothing to do with it. I'm just saying that the basis of the survey is seriously flawed, so the results of the survey are irrelevant, regardless of who comes 1st or 10th.  

By the way, I'm glad that you don't dislike wishy washy relativists. I must admit that I have a soft spot for anachronistic, sanctimonious absolutists myself.
Back to top
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2010 at 8:26am by muso »  

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Saifudeen
New Member
*
Offline


Alhamdulillah.

Posts: 37
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 7:21pm
 
muso wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 3:46pm:
There is something significantly wrong with the weighting system if Brazil comes out as number 1.

The fact that Mexico appears on that list confirms my suspicions that it's dodgy.

Are you aware of how much of the Amazon is being destroyed day by day, and the detriment this will cause if it continues?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2010 at 10:11pm
 
Saifudeen wrote on Aug 12th, 2010 at 7:21pm:
muso wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 3:46pm:
There is something significantly wrong with the weighting system if Brazil comes out as number 1.

The fact that Mexico appears on that list confirms my suspicions that it's dodgy.

Are you aware of how much of the Amazon is being destroyed day by day, and the detriment this will cause if it continues?


Of course. I can understand Brazil being on the list, but not as number 1. In terms of CO2 equivalents, China and the US should be at numbers 1 and 2, and that's allowing for rainforest destruction.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
mellie
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 8142
Sydney
Gender: female
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 12:04am
 
mozzaok wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 2:28pm:
I know it is only a silly environmentalist site, but we still came in at number 9, on their list of the top 10 countries destroying the planet.


Aussie, aussie, aussie, OI, OI, OI!!!

I must admit to being surprised about number 1 on the list, with the USA at #2, I had pegged what I expected to be the top spot holder before I started reading, but they did not make it above #3, with a lot of help from burning up the resources we are digging up.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/top-10-countries-ruining-the-planet.html?&page=...

So come on aussies, if we just keep denying we have any problems, I am sure we can get even higher, although we have a relatively small population, compared to land mass, if we all just try and use a bit more, we can get into the top 3, of that I am sure.



Why us?  Never... Wink

It's a disgrace isn't it...it's a wonder our reefs still alive, much less endangered  Roll Eyes...Such a merciful beast is our coral reef, and so forgiving.
Back to top
 

All together now Labor voters.......&&&&lap-tops, pink-bats refugees and Clunker-cars&&&&insurance.AES256
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 8:06am
 
mellie wrote on Aug 15th, 2010 at 12:04am:
mozzaok wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 2:28pm:
I know it is only a silly environmentalist site, but we still came in at number 9, on their list of the top 10 countries destroying the planet.


Aussie, aussie, aussie, OI, OI, OI!!!

I must admit to being surprised about number 1 on the list, with the USA at #2, I had pegged what I expected to be the top spot holder before I started reading, but they did not make it above #3, with a lot of help from burning up the resources we are digging up.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/top-10-countries-ruining-the-planet.html?&page=...

So come on aussies, if we just keep denying we have any problems, I am sure we can get even higher, although we have a relatively small population, compared to land mass, if we all just try and use a bit more, we can get into the top 3, of that I am sure.



Why us?  Never... Wink

It's a disgrace isn't it...it's a wonder our reefs still alive, much less endangered  Roll Eyes...Such a merciful beast is our coral reef, and so forgiving.


You should preserve this post for posterity and re-read it about 25 years from now.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
beer
Senior Member
****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 274
sydney
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:01pm
 
mozzaok wrote on May 12th, 2010 at 2:28pm:
I know it is only a silly environmentalist site, but we still came in at number 9, on their list of the top 10 countries destroying the planet.


Aussie, aussie, aussie, OI, OI, OI!!!

I must admit to being surprised about number 1 on the list, with the USA at #2, I had pegged what I expected to be the top spot holder before I started reading, but they did not make it above #3, with a lot of help from burning up the resources we are digging up.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/top-10-countries-ruining-the-planet.html?&page=...

So come on aussies, if we just keep denying we have any problems, I am sure we can get even higher, although we have a relatively small population, compared to land mass, if we all just try and use a bit more, we can get into the top 3, of that I am sure.



When a country can not do basic stuff, like recycling bottles and papers; stopping wasting million tons of paper on useless junk mails; punishing modified cars and crazy drivers that making noises on streets.
Then it's sounds funny to talk about environment.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Soren
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 25654
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:29pm
 
Is that why Asian never talk about the 'environment'?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
beer
Senior Member
****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 274
sydney
Gender: male
Re: We made the top 10
Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:57pm
 
Soren wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:29pm:
Is that why Asian never talk about the 'environment'?


You look like racist? are you? why asian? When you talk about environment, don't you look at what German, French or nothern european countries do, what Japanese does? If you only look at what China or Vietnam does, even what US does? then you will feel happy for ever. You consume 3 times more carbon than world's average. That's the truth. so before talking about that luxury carbon exchange policies, just do something basic first. When you can do as well as Europe standard, you can come to laugh at asians.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print