Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how the mackerel lost its tail (Read 6757 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
how the mackerel lost its tail
Jan 16th, 2010 at 9:40pm

mackerel.jpg (35 KB | 166 )
mackerel.jpg

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: how the mackerel lost its tail
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Perhaps it was bitten off by a toothy predator known as "Fishzilla".

Quote:
A TOOTHY predator known as "Fishzilla" and a perch capable of climbing trees may soon reach Far North Queensland.

Snakehead fish, which are native to tropical Africa and Asia, have an appetite for blood and can grow to 1m long.

The fish are a declared pest in Queensland but researchers fear snakehead, which have been found on the southern coast of Papua New Guinea, may be brought to the Torres Strait, from where they could reach mainland Australia....

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2010/04/07/104321_local-news.html

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 8:04pm

119cm. 25/4/13. An enormous shovel nose shark turned up just as I subdued it and followed me all the way back to the boat.

spanish2.JPG (143 KB | 151 )
spanish2.JPG

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2013 at 3:48pm

nice spanish,  sharks get a few of my better fish, but i would say free diving would be quite a thrill when a noah turned up.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2013 at 5:38pm

I woke at 3am on Monday morning in a tent, listening to the surf. I was having trouble sleeping, due to the combined effects of beer, rum and red wine. I'd been busted off just on dusk the night before, so I was keen to give it another go, only this time make sure my line was in good condition. By 3:30 it had been decided and I leapt out of bed and made it down to the beach by about 4am. I was hit by a strong seabreeze. I still had some live yabbies and a bit of fish frame, so I threw them out for a while. Soon a cloud bank rolled in, blacking out the moon. Then it started raining. After that it improved a bit, but still no fish. About an hour after first light I caught a large baitfish and sent it back out on my tailor setup - 15 pound mono on a surf rod, but with a wire trace and single hook.

Not long after that my reel started spinning, just as it had the previous night, only this time it did not break. In about a minute all my line was spooled (nearly 300m I think), despite me increasing the drag beyond the sensible limit. I could see the metal underneath the last few strands of line on my reel, so I clamped down all the way on the drag so it would not budge, then leant back with the rod bent over and waited for the line to snap. It didn't. It took me up and down the beach a few times. Eventually it came in close and I saw what looked like a small shark fin come out of the water, then what looked like the tail of a tuna or a big golden trevally. I finally got it into the surf and realised it was a big spanish. It was so tired it started rolling over in the wash, with all the trace wrapping around it up to the mono. The wash went back out and it unwrapped enough for me to feel I could grab it. I remembered cutting my hand the last time I grabbed a smaller mackerel by the tail with a bare hand (and lost the fish), so I went for the gills this time, which didn't work. It wrapped and unwrapped again, then I grabbed the tail and it didn't kick once, so I dragged it up the beach by the tail (a bit easier than the gills, FYI). I didn't get my reel wet once in the process. It took me about a minute to fetch the knife and it still wasn't moving, but when I cut the neck it exploded in blood.

It weighed in at bloody heavy, and 1.3m long. The only thing we had to clean it on was a surf ski.

It was foul hooked just behind the pectoral fin. The hook was only held in by two little strips of skin, about half a centimetre wide each.

Check out the damage to the trace - all the plastic coating gone and one of the wire strands bitten through. The tip of the hook has been broken off and the hook clip is bent.

No ciguatera symptoms yet (fingers crossed).

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2013 at 9:47am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Chimp_Logic
Gold Member

πολιτικός

Mawson Base
Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 4:11pm

muso wrote on Oct 3rd, 2013 at 7:41pm:
It's always fun when you get a Spanish Mackeral on the line. My best catch was (for me) a good sized threadfin salmon last week.  

I remember living in Cairns for a while.

All you needed was a hand line and a short walk onto the pier. caught some rather large fish compared to the south of Australia (off the pier anyway)

Queenslanders are lucky in this regard (plus ample Mangoes)

Mini Ice Age (2014-2029)
Dr Sircus cures cancer with Baking Soda and Magnesium - Jethro the MENTAL GIANT & his flute madness

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 10:25pm

Got this today. 8.3kg.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2014 at 9:56pm

10.4 kg Mulloway. I took one shot today.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print