Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print
"Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth (Read 17058 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #105 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 11:14pm
 
Contrary to your spurious assertions, I have not fallen prey to dementia, just yet, Grendel, and I have never denied that some,"VERY FEW", did report of the possibility of a new Ice Age.

What I object to, is the absolute, and utterly deceitful way in which denialists use this fact to try and indicate a pattern of hysteria which seeks to demean the real threat we face today, as just more sensationalist media hype, when it is so much more than that.

Now if you continue to misrepresent the facts, while steadfastly, maintaining YOU remember how serious an issue it was, while all others who even remember it at all, do so in the context of it being just another opinion piece topic from the print media of the day, then I would ask how important an issue it was compared to the predictions of NOSTRADAMUS?

I would contend, that if we were to analyse the amount of media space devoted to each subject from the period concerned, we would find far more TV, radio, and print stories, regarding Nostradamus, than your historically insignificant Ice Age stories, and that puts it into the true perspective of just how big an issue it was.

If you disagree with my contention, then I will have to assume that it is you whose memory may not be all that you claim.
Back to top
 

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #106 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 11:21pm
 
Well personally I think you are confused.

You seem to lump me and the things I said in with some group of denialists.
I merely stated the facts as I lived them.

My memory is pretty good thanks.

I already posted what I consider a most unbiased if not complete report on it.  And if you people would bother to read things and not just assume and skim you'd see I was right.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
mozzaok
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #107 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 11:44pm
 
RIGHT, you were too craven to even attempt to answer muso's straight forward, and simple question of you.

You just ignored what I asked, if you DO remember that period, what issue gathered far more media, and public interest, a coming Ice Age, or the predictions of nostradamus?

You are obviously right, because, 35 years ago, a couple of journalists misinterpreted a handful of scientific papers of the time, to make a buck by selling a story to a periodical, which more lazy journalists rehashed, and that is obviously far more reliable than the findings of the world's largest ever scientifically peer reviewed studies.

The trouble is that millions of dimwits, actually fall for this denialist bulldust, granted most you can smell coming, because they are so thick, they cannot tell sh1t from shoepolish.
Back to top
 

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #108 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 7:57am
 
Grendel wrote on Jul 14th, 2009 at 4:23pm:
Ah Bozo...  if only you would use MY WORDS...  instead of misuse them and misquote them.

No use lying now.

I never said it was the greenies then changed course and said it was the scientists...  that's just another of your lies... a total confabulation.



Ok. In that case, you won't mind clarifying for us which group were responsible. If you do mind, then something is apparently rotten in the state of ...North Ryde (whatever)

If you take the bother to check, I did not alter the post you made - I just cut and pasted it. No lies (from me at least)
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
mantra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


ozpolitic.com

Posts: 10750
Gender: female
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #109 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:27am
 
There was a bit of information on the net in regard to scientific studies on this "mini ice age" in the 70's, but the scientists admitted they didn't have enough data to make foregone conclusions - and could only confirm that climate change was occurring. Their advice back then was to start planning for the future by stockpiling food etc.

The problem with any argument from the denialists is that there is a campaign out there by the oil & coal industries which distracts from the truth.

On the other hand what would be motives behind those who believe in man made climate change? Perhaps it's to introduce new taxes without actually doing anything knowing there's little they can do anyway.

I can't find the article, but this recent global conference Rudd attended - world leaders agreed to aim towards a 2% temperature reduction. This sort of stuff is ridiculous.

You have to sit in the middle on this subject. I haven't seen a definitive answer from either side, but we should certainly be adapting and preparing for any drastic climate changes just in case. Have a look at insects and animals who stockpile food for periodic climate changes and then us stupid humans in comparison. Even primitive man had the sense to move to safer areas in the event of a catastrophe.

1975
Quote:
A survey completed last year by Dr. Murray Mitchell of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reveals a drop of half a degree in average ground temperatures in the Northern Hemisphere between 1945 and 1968. According to George Kukla of Columbia University, satellite photos indicated a sudden, large increase in Northern Hemisphere snow cover in the winter of 1971-72. And a study released last month by two NOAA scientists notes that the amount of sunshine reaching the ground in the continental U.S. diminished by 1.3% between 1964 and 1972.

To the layman, the relatively small changes in temperature and sunshine can be highly misleading. Reid Bryson of the University of Wisconsin points out that the Earth's average temperature during the great Ice Ages was only about seven degrees lower than during its warmest eras and that the present decline has taken the planet about a sixth of the way toward the Ice Age average.

Others regard the cooling as a reversion to the little ice age conditions that brought bitter winters to much of Europe and northern America between 1600 and 1900 years when the Thames used to freeze so solidly that Londoners roasted oxen on the ice and when iceboats sailed the Hudson River almost as far south as New York City.

Just what causes the onset of major and minor ice ages remains a mystery. Our knowledge of the mechanisms of climatic change is at least as fragmentary as our data, concedes the National Academy of Sciences report. Not only are the basic scientific questions largely unanswered, but in many cases we do not yet know enough to pose the key questions.

Meteorologists think that they can forecast the short-term results of the return to the norm of the last century. They begin by noting the slight drop in overall temperature that produces large numbers of pressure centers in the upper atmosphere. These break up the smooth flow of westerly winds over temperate areas. The stagnant air produced in this way causes an increase in extremes of local weather such as droughts, floods, extended dry spells, long freezes, delayed monsoons and even local temperature increases all of which have a direct impact on food supplies. The world's food-producing system, warns Dr. James D. McQuigg of NOAA's Center for Climatic and Environmental Assessment, much more sensitive to the weather variable than it was even five years ago. Furthermore, the growth of world population and creation of new national boundaries make it impossible for starving peoples to migrate from their devastated fields, as they did during past famines.

Climatologists are pessimistic that political leaders will take any positive action to compensate for the climatic change, or even to allay its effects. They concede that some of the more spectacular solutions proposed, such as melting the Arctic ice cap by covering it with black soot or diverting arctic rivers, might create problems far greater than those they solve. But the scientists see few signs that government leaders anywhere are even prepared to take the simple measures of stockpiling food or of introducing the variables of climatic uncertainty into economic projections of future food supplies. The longer the planners delay, the more difficult will they find it to cope with climatic change once the results become grim reality.

http://www.wmconnolley.org.uk/sci/iceage/misc-non-science.html


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #110 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:24am
 
mantra wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:27am:
I can't find the article, but this recent global conference Rudd attended - world leaders agreed to aim towards a 2% temperature reduction. This sort of stuff is ridiculous.



Not 2%, 2 degrees C Mantra. That is a significant achievement.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
pjb05
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 1404
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #111 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:30am
 
muso wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:24am:
mantra wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:27am:
I can't find the article, but this recent global conference Rudd attended - world leaders agreed to aim towards a 2% temperature reduction. This sort of stuff is ridiculous.



Not 2%, 2 degrees C Mantra. That is a significant achievement.


I think you will find the target was to limit temperature rise to 2 deg C.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
tallowood
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Израиль Навсегда

Posts: 9492
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #112 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:37am
 
It was 183 then and it is still 183. "Now stop worrying and enjoy your life"

Grin Grin Grin
Back to top
 

עַם יִשְרָאֵל חַי
 
IP Logged
 
mantra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


ozpolitic.com

Posts: 10750
Gender: female
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #113 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:52am
 
muso wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:24am:
mantra wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:27am:
I can't find the article, but this recent global conference Rudd attended - world leaders agreed to aim towards a 2% temperature reduction. This sort of stuff is ridiculous.



Not 2%, 2 degrees C Mantra. That is a significant achievement.


Sorry Muso - that's what I meant - 2 degrees. It isn't a significant achievement because it hasn't happened yet, nor is it likely to. I am all for renewables and cutting down on emissions, but we do have to be realistic. These sort of "commitments" make us look like idiots, which obviously world leaders think we are.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #114 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 11:00am
 
Mozz...  I have no idea what you were on about in that last post.

Quote:
If you take the bother to check, I did not alter the post you made - I just cut and pasted it. No lies (from me at least)


Bozo...  you were the one who kept saying I changed my mind.  You lied Bozo.  It's there many times in black and white and maybe even in colour.  Just admit it.  YOU lied.

Quote:
Was it Scientists or Greenies?


Quote:
Was it Scientists or Greenies?
Was it Scientists or Greenies?
Was it Scientists or Greenies?
Was it Scientists or Greenies?
Was it Scientists or Greenies?


Quote:
So, here's the deal - tell me specifically which lie you want to stick to - your lie that it wasn't scientists but it was these blasted Greenies, or their lie that it was scientists.
-because it becomes very confusing unless you stick to just one lie at a time.


Quote:
So make up your mind - was it Scientists or Greenies?


And on and on and on you kept lying Bozo....
Liar liar pants on fire...  Grin Grin Grin

So you obsessive twirp... how about telling me just exactly what it is you think I think...  the invitation has already been proffered...  you refuse to take it though.  Why is that?  Because you are clueless that's why.  You are an obsessive alarmist who just likes to name-call, lie and ridicule...

Mantra has a much more balanced viewpoint than you will ever have.


Back to top
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2009 at 11:12am by Grendel »  
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #115 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 12:49pm
 
Grendel wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 11:00am:
Mozz...  I have no idea what you were on about in that last post.

Quote:
If you take the bother to check, I did not alter the post you made - I just cut and pasted it. No lies (from me at least)


Bozo...  you were the one who kept saying I changed my mind.  You lied Bozo.  It's there many times in black and white and maybe even in colour.  Just admit it.  YOU lied.

Quote:
Was it Scientists or Greenies?


Quote:
Was it Scientists or Greenies?
Was it Scientists or Greenies?
Was it Scientists or Greenies?
Was it Scientists or Greenies?
Was it Scientists or Greenies?





You haven't answered yet though.
You did seem to change your mind. You presented us with some of your usual cut and paste stuff that suggested a Scientific Consensus.

So is it unreasonable to ask?
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #116 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 12:51pm
 
Grendel wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 11:00am:
So you obsessive twirp... how about telling me just exactly what it is you think I think...  


Let me get this straight - You want me to tell you what I think... you think?????


Grendel - please have a think about what you write -  besides I'm not a mind reader.

How about you telling everybody what you think?  Grin Isn't that more straighforward?

I'm getting a little bit concerned about you Grendel. I won't be responsible if there are heart pills you forgot to take or something.
Back to top
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2009 at 12:57pm by muso »  

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #117 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 12:56pm
 
mantra wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:52am:
muso wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 9:24am:
mantra wrote on Jul 15th, 2009 at 8:27am:
I can't find the article, but this recent global conference Rudd attended - world leaders agreed to aim towards a 2% temperature reduction. This sort of stuff is ridiculous.



Not 2%, 2 degrees C Mantra. That is a significant achievement.


Sorry Muso - that's what I meant - 2 degrees. It isn't a significant achievement because it hasn't happened yet, nor is it likely to. I am all for renewables and cutting down on emissions, but we do have to be realistic. These sort of "commitments" make us look like idiots, which obviously world leaders think we are.


The agreement itself is significant, believe me - especially after the days of G W Bush. The roadmap to that limit has already been drawn up. The problem might be China and India though, or the BRIC countries.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Plimer
Reply #118 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 1:56pm
 
Once again:

Grendel wrote on Jul 12th, 2009 at 1:30pm:
ROTFLMAO...  oh dear more misrepresentation eh  how unusual.

I don't recall anyone saying there was SCIENTIFIC "CONCENSUS" Bozo.

Just that the Green Movement and others pushed a scare campaign based on Global Cooling in the 70s.



So above, we have Grendel implying there was no Scientific Consensus (which is perfectly correct by the way - it was a total sham based on a single cherry picked scientific paper)

On the other hand, he's suggesting that it was a scare campaign perpetrated by the "Green Movement" and "others" (the latter apparently including a boy who stabbed him in the hand with a compass)

Then, several posts later, he posts a link to an article that suggests there was Scientific Consensus. (not my lie, not Grendel's lie either)

er - Grendel - could you just clarify that - am I right in saying that the lie that there was Scientific Consensus is not one that you agree with?
(and please try to answer my questions - it just makes you look bad if you avoid answering)

Here's where Grendel (Call I call him trilobite if he calls me names? )
said:

Grendel wrote on Jul 13th, 2009 at 9:53am:
God you are an idiot....  do you actually read what people write here.

http://www.businessandmedia.org/specialreports/2006/fireandice/fireandice.asp

Now go away and google any number of more articles and reports about it.

Where I live it was on the TV and in the Newspapers on and off for about 3 years.


He actually said "God you are an idiot" Shocked then he gave us the link that said this:

"Scientists ponder why world's climate is changing - a major cooling widely considered to be inevitable - May 21 1975"

(paraphrased perhaps, but it comes pretty darned close to the Scientific Consensus lie)

So the way I see it, is that you basically called me an idiot for not reading that information which contradicted your earlier guffawing remark.  

Then when I actually read it and found that it contradicted his earlier pronouncement that actually had him rolling  and I quote "ROTFLMAO", Grendel was not a very happy camper because he had been caught.  

Grendel - I'd suggest that you've been doing so much ROTFL lately that your A is totally detached.   Grin
Back to top
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:23pm by muso »  

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: "Global Cooling in the 70's" Myth
Reply #119 - Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:45pm
 
Rotflmao...  puhlease... just admit you are a lying hypocrite and be done with it.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Oh wait wait... there's more...  my stomach is still hurting from the laughter.

Oh great cherry picker Bozo...  were there perhaps other lines in that article linked to?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You are a goose. and a hypocrite and an obsessive and a liar.
Stop wasting my time.

As for being a mindreader...  dear me you've already called me so many things I'm not I thought a personal invite was appropriate.  Grin Grin Grin

Oh and next time you lie about me and what i think and say make sure you quote me and not some line out of hundreds in some article.   Cheesy
Back to top
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2009 at 2:56pm by Grendel »  
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print