Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Model lessons... (Read 18196 times)
mozzaok
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #90 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:23am
 
I know Grendel, and if I didn't think you would take it with a grain of salt, and a smile on your face, I would not have posted it.

As far as schizo goes, it is a bit like that, initially I tried to temper my responses because I did not want to be hypocritical, and post things which I may have to mod out, but I found it restricted me from being myself, and that was no fun for me, and devalued my ability to post my own opinions, so I have chosen to just go back to being myself, and if any are offended then I wil look at it, or ask Locutious or FD to, or whoever is Mod on the member run boards.

Would you be interested in modding this board?

Muso does not want to do it any more, so we need a mod for this board now, and then you could delete my offending post, or edit it, or even ban me for flaming you.

The good thing is I know you would not do any of those things, you would just give back as good as you get, which is why I reckon you would be a good mod for this board, so please consider giving it a go.
Back to top
 

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #91 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:25am
 
You don't have to follow me around and comment on everything I say Skippy...  you know I'm not bothering with most of your crap these days.

Yet you keep flaming and trying to engage me.

Why?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
skippy
Ex Member


Re: Model lessons...
Reply #92 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:38am
 
Grendel wrote on Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:25am:
You don't have to follow me around and comment on everything I say Skippy...  you know I'm not bothering with most of your crap these days.

Yet you keep flaming and trying to engage me.

Why?

1-
I'm not following you around, I've been posting on this board for a couple of months now, this and the multi cult board, the fact you choose to post on both of those boards is just bad luck on my behalf.
2- If I see an obvious mistake or intentional misleading statement I will comment, its not just you ask yadda, soren, calanen and others, when they do what you do I make comment. That's what forums are for, commenting.
3-I am entitled to comment on posts I agree or disagree with, the fact you make so many posts that are inaccurate is not my fault.
4-I'm not trying to engage you, but I will not just let you post articles that are clearly wrong, if you don't like me commenting don't post lies.
5- From where I'm sitting you are trying to engage me, you've just asked me a question, I never ask you questions , I comment about inaccurate posts you make, there is a difference. Lips Sealed
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #93 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:44am
 
ROTFLMAO

sure Skippi your obsessed you even said as much yesterday.

hey Skipp...  pull someone elses leg buddy.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
skippy
Ex Member


Re: Model lessons...
Reply #94 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:48am
 
Grendel wrote on Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:44am:
ROTFLMAO

sure Skippi your obsessed you even said as much yesterday.

hey Skipp...  pull someone elses leg buddy.

looks like you're trying to engage me again boofster. Roll Eyes
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #95 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:59am
 
hey I've given up trying to ignore you...  you keep trolling and flaming so since you have no ability to control yourself or not comment like I did even just out of a sense of fair play or courtesy...  I've now decided not to give you any more free shots..

So flame on squibbly lets see how many topics you can ruin by starting flame wars.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
skippy
Ex Member


Re: Model lessons...
Reply #96 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 12:16pm
 
Grendel wrote on Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:59am:
hey I've given up trying to ignore you...  you keep trolling and flaming so since you have no ability to control yourself or not comment like I did even just out of a sense of fair play or courtesy...  I've now decided not to give you any more free shots..

So flame on squibbly lets see how many topics you can ruin by starting flame wars.

God boofy, you flip flop more than the rodent did, your not engaging me in one post then you are in the next.
Pointing out your mistakes is not flaming boof, it is simply pointing out your mistakes.
It seems you have a problem with anyone who highlights your inaccuracies, thats not my fault but yours.
Get a grip on yourself and realise the world does not revolve around you.
Now, have you got a comment on my cut and paste that counters  your assertion on global warming? I wont hold my breath. Roll Eyes
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #97 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 12:22pm
 
want me to go back and cut and past your bile and flames skipp?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #98 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 12:23pm
 
keep it up as usual you ruin topics
pardon me whilst I opt out of this inane pointless boring  banter
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
skippy
Ex Member


Re: Model lessons...
Reply #99 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 12:27pm
 
Grendel wrote on Jun 6th, 2009 at 12:23pm:
keep it up as usual you ruin topics


If you want to engage with me boof comment on the topic. Roll Eyes
Back to top
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2009 at 1:02pm by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
mozzaok
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 6741
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #100 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 9:40pm
 
I have to concede that Grendel does make a valid point here Skippy, but I cannot fairly criticise you for flaming Grendel, being guilty of it myself, but it is just so bloody tempting to do, I find I can't help myself sometimes.

I think we should try and be fair though, and try and contain our replies to the topic at hand, and stick to discussing that.

The point about modelling being an imprecise system does have some merit, but to take that fact, and then try and use it to assert that we should ignore what we have learned from climate modelling, is a big stretch to make, even for denialists who only ever seem keen to add to confusing the issue, rather than offering any real contribution to the accumulated works and commonly accepted theories that climate scientists have developed.
Back to top
 

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #101 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 8:29am
 
just balancing the ledger Mozz...  a theory based on a false premise is a waste of time.

garbage In...  garbage Out  GIGO

The models are seriously flawed.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Soren
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 25654
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #102 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 9:31pm
 
mozzaok wrote on Jun 6th, 2009 at 9:40pm:
The point about modelling being an imprecise system does have some merit, but to take that fact, and then try and use it to assert that we should ignore what we have learned from climate modelling, is a big stretch to make, even for denialists who only ever seem keen to add to confusing the issue, rather than offering any real contribution to the accumulated works and commonly accepted theories that climate scientists have developed.



Models should be in support of primary, empirical evidence to illustrate that evidence. But in the political debate that sometimes goes under name of climate change debate, models are the sticks to beat sceptics over the head with. It is forever about some curve of annualised average or other.

A model is always incomplete AND is always constructed with an answer or tendency in mind. Selecting what is 'relevant' is also deselecting what is irrelevant, so it is always already constructed with a mind already leaning towards a preconceived answer or trend.

A sceptic like me is amused and irritated by the obliviousness of the model-toting doom-mongers to this inevitable epistemological bias that hangs around them and, like the smell of their own fart, repels everyone but themselves.



Back to top
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2009 at 10:05pm by Soren »  
 
IP Logged
 
Grendel
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 28080
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #103 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 9:53pm
 
The simple truth is so hard for denialists to swallow Soren.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
muso
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 13151
Gladstone, Queensland
Gender: male
Re: Model lessons...
Reply #104 - Jun 12th, 2009 at 8:32am
 
Soren wrote on Jun 7th, 2009 at 9:31pm:
Models should be in support of primary, empirical evidence to illustrate that evidence. But in the political debate that sometimes goes under name of climate change debate, models are the sticks to beat sceptics over the head with. It is forever about some curve of annualised average or other.

A model is always incomplete AND is always constructed with an answer or tendency in mind. Selecting what is 'relevant' is also deselecting what is irrelevant, so it is always already constructed with a mind already leaning towards a preconceived answer or trend.

A sceptic like me is amused and irritated by the obliviousness of the model-toting doom-mongers to this inevitable epistemological bias that hangs around them and, like the smell of their own fart, repels everyone but themselves.



It's either a strawman or a misconception on your part Soren, but models are not the be-all and end-all. Not everything is based on models, and that graph which I posted showing models and global temperature data sets together demonstrate that they are pretty darned close to the mark.  

- and I'll say this once and for all - Climate models do not employ iterative techniques.
Back to top
 

...
1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print