Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Collective intelligence wanted... (Read 5478 times)
polly

Collective intelligence wanted...
Jul 8th, 2008 at 9:47pm

Hello Everyone.

I'm new here, and in addition to a skin full of opinions you might get to shoot down at some point, I also have the need to collect some wide ranging opinions from a group such as yourselves for a little project I am working on...

I have cleared this already with the Board Admin, as I really don't want to step on anyone's toes...

What I want to do, is to compile a list of about 100 top generic questions that Aussies should ask their politicians in order to be fully informed about them. Rather than just write 100 questions myself all dripping with my personal bias, I figured that asking a diverse group such as yourselves to suggest questions would give a much fairer and I hope broader range of questions from many perspectives.

Initially, if you are willing, I would like suggestions for the top 10 broad topics or categories for the questions. Later on, once 10 topics are chosen, then I would like 10 questions for each topic.

Some of the topics are obvious - like Environment, Employment, Community Services, but I don't want to limit this to only those topics that seem obvious to me.

The end result of all this, is planned to be a free on-line tool that will encourage ordinary folk to quiz their politicians more closely on what they are all about. The questions will be like a starting point, or a range of suggestions to get people thinking.

So, if you are willing, please let your creative juices flow...

I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

Polly

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Collective intelligence wanted...
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 9:54pm

I think I'm getting it now. You will answer the 100 questions yourself, and the tool will tell you which parties or politicians most suit you?

Environment, tax, health, welfare, education and research, law enforcement, military, infrastructure, government, other.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polly

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:05pm

freediver wrote on Jul 8th, 2008 at 9:54pm:
I think I'm getting it now. You will answer the 100 questions yourself, and the tool will tell you which parties or politicians most suit you?

No, not quite. Telling people what party suits them assumes that you know what party suits them. Clearly any suggestion that you do, can only be an opinion informed by one's own prejudices whatever they may be.

My starting point is that I have no idea what will best suit another person. The tool is just something that the individual user can use to help order the process of making up their own mind. There is a bit of a twist to make it appealing, but it is intentionally structured so that the only bias that can influence the outcome, is the bias of the individual user.

Thanks for the first list of suggested topics!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:34pm

polly - thats a really good idea.

Research the voters, see what topics WE want queried.
Sort of an customer led media ?/

For some of my picks,

1/ Immigration to be severley limited.

2/ Permaculture to be a national focus.

3/ Muslims to have to assimilate or leave.

4/ The legal system to be far less punitive.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

polly

Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:47pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:34pm:
polly - thats a really good idea.

Thanks for the encouragement  Smiley

Your suggestions seem to be more in the form of objectives than question topics...

Taking your first point as an example - the topic may be Immigration. Assuming immigration gets a guernsey as one of the top ten categories, then the question may be something like "Do you believe our immigration policies allow too many migrants to enter the country?"

I need to chose the topics first. Once they are chosen, then I will need questions for each topic, and if I am to rely on a computer to do the analysis, the questions will need to be in a form that allows a Yes or No answer, as in my example above. For now though, what I am really looking for is just the topics.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:56pm

thought you were looking for an input from a voter.
Not necessarily someone who will be limited to your 10/10 framework.

Thought it was  consumer led research, not what questions we ask correctly.

What's say you throw my suggestions into a BIG box without ANY modifications.
At the end you may get a few common suggestions from customers.

If you want suggestions, you got them.
If my suggestions are "wrong" ,  tell ruddydudd  I hate his populist shams.

IP Logged

polly

Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 11:07pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 8th, 2008 at 10:56pm:
thought you were looking for an input from a voter.

Please don't think I'm telling you anything is wrong with your suggestion. I'm not! I am just constrained by what is possible in the software that is being put together. As I said in my first post, what I need are questions from as broad a range of opinions as possible as a starting point for users of the tool I want to build. All of your points suggested are equally valid, useful, and desirable input - I just need them massaged into a form that the software can cope with.

When the tool is up and running, users will be able to enter their own questions into the system as well, I just want to be able to offer a whole set of pre-loaded examples to choose from  - that is what I need these questions for.

Sorry if I offended you in any way - I was just trying to explain more clearly what I was after exactly.

Thanks for answering.

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:00am

Sounds interesting. What software is this? Did you write it?

FD have already listed most of my priority categories. I like to add the following (if you're willing) mental health, local government, media, telecommunication, society, global village.

Don't worry too much about Sprint - he's fighting the Tenth Crusades on 4 fronts. Only jkg Sprint!  Wink

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 12:02am

onya acid   Wink

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:08am

Sprint the closest thing we have to the 'big box' you mentioned is all the polling which the major parties do. What that produces is two major parties that don't actually lead, but follow the whims of a marginally informed public. Sometimes you need that, but if you have it for too long the tough decisions never get made.

Polly is trying to come up with some kind of alternative. It seems to be targetted at telling the people what they want to know, rather than telling the politicians where the path of least resistance is.

Another big issue is gay marriage. You would need at least two or three yes/no answers (eg do you support civil unions, do you support gay marriage) to sort out where people stand. Not sure what category that would fit into.

With categories like education, I'm not sure what common questions there would be, other than more/less funding. Once you go beyond that, the issues get complex very quickly.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:20am

My focus is on areas of regulation, which I would like to see some changes.

1: Ethics
We have witnessed a progressive lowering of expectations of ethically responsible behaviour across the spectrum from Business to Government.
We expect salesman and politicians to be deceitful, for their own purposes, I would like to see that change, by applying real and effective penalties for unethical behaviour, and have watchdog organisations in place to enforce ethical standards.

2: Economy
Yes, it is the economy, stupid.
Economic competence is always an issue, and coming into a world where changing circumstances have seen all previously sound economic predictors, become less reliable, the importance of this area will only increase.

3: Education
With the changing economic focus of the world moving eastwards, we are ideally positioned to take a major role in the booming economies of the asian region.
We need to identify which areas of education to fast track, which will facilitate our role as a hub for Asian business activity, probably in Banking/Finance, Management, Advertising, PR, Information Technology, Green Technology/Renewable Energy Resources, etc.
By advancing our credentials in these types of ways we can evolve from the role of being little more than a non-value added resource supplier.
As I have said before, when a quarry outlives it's usefulness, it becomes a Tip.
If we raise our education levels to world's best standards, we will also cultivate a market as an Education supplier for the whole region.

4: Environment
We face the greatest environmental challenges ever, we must take a leading role as an innovative, and proactive environmentally sustainable, and responsible society.

So that is a few E's, to get me started with, I will work on other letters of the alphabet at another time.

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

Acid Monkey
Gold Member

Goth Father

EU
Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 10:14am

freediver wrote on Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:08am:
Sprint the closest thing we have to the 'big box' you mentioned is all the polling which the major parties do. What that produces is two major parties that don't actually lead, but follow the whims of a marginally informed public. Sometimes you need that, but if you have it for too long the tough decisions never get made.

Well, we are in a democracy after all (definition of democracy vs republic - crossover to another thread)

Another big issue is gay marriage. You would need at least two or three yes/no answers (eg do you support civil unions, do you support gay marriage) to sort out where people stand. Not sure what category that would fit into.

Category: Society

Do they have to be questions soliciting a yes/no answer? Some issues are too complex to be restricted to a one word.

With categories like education, I'm not sure what common questions there would be, other than more/less funding. Once you go beyond that, the issues get complex very quickly.

- Intelligent Design being taught as a science.
- Language studies and sex education.
- HECS
- German model free university education which is very successful.

IP Logged

polly

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 7:26pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

To answer a few of your questions...

The eventual questions to be loaded into the system do need to have a yes/no answer purely so that boolean logic in the software is capable of analyzing them. There will also be the ability for those answering questions to qualify their answer so real people can make more sense of the yes or no - you just can't plot an explanation on a graph!

The only reason I want to break the questions up into topics, is so that people can find questions that are important to them more easily. A short list of mostly relevant questions is easier to deal with than a long list of mostly irrelevant ones.

Also, it is not important for the chosen questions to cover every conceivable issue within the category. These will just be the "starting" questions already in the system. People will be able to add their own questions as the system runs.

The actual software doesn't exist yet as a complete system. It is being written for me at the moment, and the job is about 1/4 done. So long as I can keep enough of the details under my hat until it is ready, it will be a unique service.

The problem with the "Big box - party polling" freediver was talking about, is that that sort of polling only ever asks if you agree or disagree with a pre-determined proposition. The questions that the poll ask are carefully crafted in order to illicit the responces that the people who commissioned the poll want. Having got the desired response, the poll is then used to justify whatever it was the group in question wanted in the first place. The worst of it is, we all let them get away with it time after time... Sometimes, they use focus groups to help choose the question that will best illicit the desired answer. My hope, is to effectively create a focus group with millions of members so the "real" questions will bubble to the surface without any spin doctors being able to adjust them first.

Thanks again - still looking forward to a wide range of views...

polly
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:10pm by polly »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 8:48pm

Having got the desired response, the poll is then used to justify whatever it was the group in question wanted in the first place.

I was under the impression most of the polling results were kept secret - they are paid for by the parties for their own internal use. Parties try to go out of their way to pretend that they are taking the moral high ground and not merely following opinion polls - hence Rudd's 'tough decisions' rhetoric.

IP Logged

polly

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 9:01pm

freediver wrote on Jul 9th, 2008 at 8:48pm:
I was under the impression most of the polling results were kept secret

Political Parties do tend to keep their polling results to themselves (unless it is deemed to be in the party's interest that they get leaked - to justify the party's position). Political parties of course, aren't the only ones to use polling like this. Just about every interest group there is will use polling to either justify or argue for whatever it is the interest group is interested in. Don't you find it interesting that never in the history of polling has any group ever released polling figures that didn't support whatever proposition the group was set up to promote?

Many years ago I was in the position of being a part of a group that needed to convince a previous Government about the rightness of our cause. We were advised to engage a professional polling company to conduct a survey in accordance with all the accepted standards to ensure statistical accuracy. The first question asked by the polling company's rep at the first meeting was "What results do you want to get?" As the questions were customised to match the intended result, I lost all faith in the polling industry as it stood.

polly

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print