Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42
Send Topic Print
Bible verses you like (Read 197018 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Bible verses you like
Reply #270 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 9:34am

buzzanddidj wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 12:51am:
Genesis 38:9 (King James Version)

"And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother"
i
Dorothy Parker named her pet canary Onan.
When asked why, she said, “Because he spills his seed upon the ground.”

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4123/4867389336_d5e8a5db96_z.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Parker

Q.
And the lesson from this anecdote is ?

A.
That if people like buzzanddidj studied the Bible, they too, could be as enlightened and as amusing as Dorothy Parker.

e.g.
Did you hear the one about Lot and his two daughters ?

That one really cracks me up!           Grin           Grin           Grin

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #271 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:27pm

muso wrote on Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:48pm:
The Bible, the Veda, the Torah and the Avesta to name four of the holy books, represent the collected wisdom of many generations. It's all a question of how you read them.

They do not! They represent some of the wisdom and some of the stupidity. It's not a question of 'how' they're read, so much as 'who' reads them. We have entire industries that have grown up reinterpreting plain English to suit, ie 'The Law'.

religion is nothing but the most absurd game of chinese whispers.

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

bobbythefap1
Gold Member

Listen now to the rain
Reply #272 - Mar 9th, 2012 at 1:41pm

Seems like Kony was right, if you believe this crap..

Quote:
"You Ethiopians will also be slaughtered by my sword," says the LORD.  And the LORD will strike the lands of the north with his fist.  He will destroy Assyria and make its great capital, Nineveh, a desolate wasteland, parched like a desert.  The city that once was so proud will become a pasture for sheep and cattle.  All sorts of wild animals will settle there.  Owls of many kinds will live among the ruins of its palaces, hooting from the gaping windows.  Rubble will block all the doorways, and the cedar paneling will lie open to the wind and weather.  This is the fate of that boisterous city, once so secure.  "In all the world there is no city as great as I," it boasted.  But now, look how it has become an utter ruin, a place where animals live!  Everyone passing that way will laugh in derision or shake a defiant fist.   (Zephaniah 2:12-15 NLT)

A day without sunshine is like night.

IP Logged

falah
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #273 - Mar 10th, 2012 at 10:28pm

At that time they had a notorious prisoner, called Barabbas.

So when the crowd (of Jews) had gathered, Pilate asked them, "Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?"

For he knew it was out of envy that they (Jews) had handed Jesus over to him.

While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."

But the chief priests and the elders (from the Jews) persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.

"Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" asked the governor. "Barabbas," they (Jews) answered.

"What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked. They (Jews) all answered, "Crucify him!"

"Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate. But they (Jews) shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"

When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"

All the people (Jews) answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"

Matthew 16-27:25
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2012 at 11:19pm by falah »  

Nothing is worthy of worship except God Almighty - our Creator!

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #274 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 6:51am

falah wrote on Mar 10th, 2012 at 10:28pm:
At that time they had a notorious prisoner, called Barabbas.

So when the crowd (of Jews) had gathered, Pilate asked them, "Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?"

For he knew it was out of envy that they (Jews) had handed Jesus over to him.

While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."

But the chief priests and the elders (from the Jews) persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.

"Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" asked the governor. "Barabbas," they (Jews) answered.

"What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked. They (Jews) all answered, "Crucify him!"

"Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate. But they (Jews) shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"

When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"

All the people (Jews) answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"

Matthew 16-27:25

The blood [the 'sealing'] of the OLD covenant.....

Exodus 24:8
And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

Jeremiah 31:31
Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Matthew 27:25
Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

Hebrews 12:22
But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23  To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24  And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Eyes to see ?

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #275 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 12:02pm

Yadda wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 9:34am:
buzzanddidj wrote on Mar 9th, 2012 at 12:51am:
Genesis 38:9 (King James Version)

"And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother"
i
Dorothy Parker named her pet canary Onan.
When asked why, she said, “Because he spills his seed upon the ground.”

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4123/4867389336_d5e8a5db96_z.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Parker

Q.
And the lesson from this anecdote is ?

A.
That if people like buzzanddidj studied the Bible, they too, could be as enlightened and as amusing as Dorothy Parker.

Grin           Grin           Grin

I have a cat called "Lutto"

I named him that - as he is part black and part white

(PS ... Dorothy Parker was an ATHIEST)

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #276 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 12:03pm

Psalm 1:1

Quote:
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the council of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #277 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:08am

buzzanddidj wrote on Mar 12th, 2012 at 12:02pm:

You say, Dorothy Parker was an ATHIEST,
.....and yet, she was an atheist who clearly, had some familiarity with teh contents of the Bible.

What % of atheists of this generation, are open minded enough to have read the Bible ?

My experience in this forum, is that many atheists dismiss its worth [just as a cultural literary work] out of hand.

Dictionary;
bigot = = a person who is prejudiced in their views and intolerant of the opinions of others.

The word 'prejudiced' means to pre-judge, OR, to judge in ignorance, without full knowledge.

And how do people of this age, come to knowledge ?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #278 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 7:30am

Yadda wrote on Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:08am:

.....and yet, she was an atheist who clearly, had some familiarity with teh contents of the Bible.

What % of atheists of this generation, are open minded enough to have read the Bible ?

My experience in this forum, is that many atheists dismiss its worth [just as a cultural literary work] out of hand.

Dictionary;
bigot = = a person who is prejudiced in their views and
intolerant of the opinions of others.

I read an article today that discussed how Sir David Attenborough gets hate mail.

"What's to hate?" you may ask.

Well,
the hate mail stems from the fact that Attenborough is an atheist.

According to the article, Attenborough said that
his "Christian" critics tell him "to burn in hell."
He said that they don't understand how he can look at the beauty in the world and deny the existence of God. He acknowledges that when they say "beauty" they are referring to "beautiful things like hummingbirds."

He said that his response to this is:

"I think of a little child in east Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball. The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs. I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator"

http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-national/funny-atheist-quote-from-david-atten...

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
I don't believe just 'cos ideas are tenacious it means they are worthy

I get freaked out by churches
Some of the hymns that they sing have nice chords but the lyrics are dodgy

And yes I have all of the usual objections
To the miseducation of children who, in tax-exempt institutions,
Are taught to externalise blame
And to feel ashamed and to judge things as plain right and wrong
But I quite like the songs

I'm not expecting big presents
The old combination of socks, jocks and chocolate is just fine by me

Cos I'll be seeing my dad
My brother and sisters, my gran and my mum
They'll be drinking white wine in the sun
I'll be seeing my dad
My brother and sisters, my gran and my mum
They'll be drinking white wine in the sun
i

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

darkhall67
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #279 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 1:34pm

Yadda wrote on Mar 13th, 2012 at 12:08am:

Dictionary;
bigot = = a person who is prejudiced in their views and intolerant of the opinions of others.

The word 'prejudiced' means to pre-judge, OR, to judge in ignorance, without full knowledge.

And how do people of this age, come to knowledge ?

Most atheists HAVE read the bible.

That's WHY they are atheists.

No-one with even a modicum of sense and rational thinking skills  who reads the bible (old and new testaments) could come to any other conclusion that it's bunkum.

Evil , destructive bunkum.

It's the happy clappers with their mindless prattling about "god is love" and "jesus loves you" that havent bothered to open the bloody (and I do mean bloody) book.

They are brainwashed and kept from the truth by their pastors and priests.

If they DID read what a monster their god is they wouldnt worship him for long.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #280 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 1:55pm

darkhall67 wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 1:34pm:
Most atheists HAVE read the bible.

That's WHY they are atheists.

No-one with even a modicum of sense and rational thinking skills  who reads the bible (old and new testaments) could come to any other conclusion that it's bunkum.

Evil , destructive bunkum.

It's the happy clappers with their mindless prattling about "god is love" and "jesus loves you" that havent bothered to open the bloody (and I do mean bloody) book.

They are brainwashed and kept from the truth by their pastors and priests.

If they DID read what a monster their god is they wouldnt worship him for long.

dark,

Well i'm glad that you have read the Bible.

And i'm sad that you only saw evil in its pages.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #281 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 1:56pm

darkhall - Ive read the whole bible cover to cover twice.

it's not all butterflies and flowers ....... life is not always pretty.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Uncle Meat
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Tasmania
Reply #282 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 2:02pm

easel wrote on Jun 23rd, 2008 at 3:35pm:
What parts of it do you like?

The Book of Deuteronomy.

Not because of any particular text, I just like saying Deuteronomy.

IP Logged

darkhall67
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #283 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 2:41pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 1:56pm:

It's not just life that aint pretty in the bible.

It's the god contained within.

As you have read it you know what I'm talking about.

That god is an evil , murderous , jealous , genocidal manipulative monster.

Not worthy of anyones RESPECT let alone love and worship.

And THAT'S their gods own BIOGRAPHY. AUTOBIOGRAPHY if you believe the believers.

If more christians actually read the nonsense in Deuteronomy and leviticus (just for starters) and got to know their god , his wants , actions and personality they COULD not worship him.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #284 - Mar 14th, 2012 at 3:06pm

darkhall67 wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 2:41pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 1:56pm:

It's not just life that aint pretty in the bible.

It's the god contained within.

As you have read it you know what I'm talking about.

That god is an evil , murderous , jealous , genocidal manipulative monster.

Not worthy of anyones RESPECT let alone love and worship.

And THAT'S their gods own BIOGRAPHY. AUTOBIOGRAPHY if you believe the believers.

If more christians actually read the nonsense in Deuteronomy and leviticus (just for starters) and got to know their god , his wants , actions and personality they COULD not worship him.

dark said.....

".....god is an evil , murderous , jealous , genocidal manipulative monster."

Not so.

God, the God of Israel, is a god who loves justice and righteousness.

Justice and righteousness, are the product of truth and judgement.

Proverbs 28:4
They that forsake the law praise the wicked: but such as keep the law contend with them.
Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

dark,

Those who hate the God of the Bible, hate him because he is a God of righteousness and judgement.

And they DO NOT want their reckless [if not wicked] conduct to be judged, and brought to the light.

Such people are in rebellion, against God's righteousness.

Such people do not want to be held accountable, for the [real] consequences of their choices.

John 3:19
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20  For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21  But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 42
Send Topic Print