Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you support gay marriage in Australia?

« Last Modified by: Progs on: Jul 15th, 2007 at 8:16pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
GAY MARRIAGE (Read 21018 times)
ozadmin

Hello

oz
GAY MARRIAGE
Jul 24th, 2007 at 8:49am

oops
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2007 at 3:42pm by ozadmin »  

The Friendly Administrator.
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
GAY MARRIAGE
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 3:47pm

This is a good way to solve the gay marriage issue in a way that grants equal rights to gays without upsetting those who like to think they own the term 'marriage.'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Samesex-register-by-years-end-Bracks/2007/04/24/1177180620708.html

Human rights and same-sex lobby groups have hailed the Victorian government's decision to introduce a register for gay couples before years' end.

Premier Steve Bracks announced that his government would move to introduce similar laws to those in Tasmania, setting up a register for same-sex and de facto couples plus people in long-term care giving relationships.

"It is a register system where you apply through births, deaths and marriages with a statutory declaration for a register for your relationship," Mr Bracks told Southern Cross radio.

"It eases the pressure on continual proof, for example if you have an accident and somebody is in intensive care obviously those proof arrangements are difficult.

"I think this step removes any legal impediments and makes sure the law works equally no matter what your situation."

Couples on the register will receive a proof-of-relationship certificate that will be recognised by government agencies in Victoria and also the courts.

"In Tasmania, unmarried same and opposite-sex couples can access parenting rights in areas like adoption by registering their relationship," Mr Croome said.

"Just as importantly, we urge both the Victorian and Tasmanian Governments to ensure they offer reciprocal recognition to each other's schemes so that registered couples have full spousal entitlements regardless of which side of Bass Strait they reside."

Mr Croome said many same-sex couples in Tasmania had reported increased acceptance from their families following the registering of their relationships.

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission described the proposed Victorian register as a critical step in reducing discrimination.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 9:26pm by ozadmin »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Victoria gets defacto gay marriages
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 4:11pm

Gays make up 1 - 3 % of the population.

Why do they have so much ......... leverage ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 4:15pm

Because it is an equal rights issue, which everybody can empathise with.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Labor backs legal rights for same-sex couples
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 9:32am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/labor-backs-legal-rights-for-samesex-couples/2007/04/28/1177459995793.html

LABOR has backed a national scheme to legally recognise same-sex relationships after a divisive debate at its national conference in which opponents of the scheme warned that it would demean marriage and the family and hurt the party's electoral prospects.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2007 at 2:35am

Man... I hate Steve Bracks.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2007 at 10:52am

Equal rights.

Yes, we all deserve equal rights.

Some deserve rights more equal than others.   Smiley

(A partial quote from "Animal farm" )

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Govt may change gay pension laws
Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 7:57pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Govt-may-change-gay-pension-laws/2007/07/12/1183833673968.html

The federal government has held talks with gay activists to discuss changing the law to give same-sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples.

The meeting comes after High Court judge Michael Kirby asked Attorney-General Philip Ruddock to change the judicial pension scheme so his long-term partner Johan van Vloten is treated the same as the spouse of a heterosexual judge.

Justice Kirby's case has highlighted the conclusion of a report by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission that more than 20,000 gay Australian couples face systematic discrimination on a daily basis.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Re: Govt may change gay pension laws
Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 12:06am

freediver wrote on Jul 12th, 2007 at 7:57pm:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Govt-may-change-gay-pension-laws/2007/07/12/1183833673968.html

The federal government has held talks with gay activists to discuss changing the law to give same-sex couples the same rights as heterosexual couples.

The meeting comes after High Court judge Michael Kirby asked Attorney-General Philip Ruddock to change the judicial pension scheme so his long-term partner Johan van Vloten is treated the same as the spouse of a heterosexual judge.

Justice Kirby's case has highlighted the conclusion of a report by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission that more than 20,000 gay Australian couples face systematic discrimination on a daily basis.

Sickening. I don't mind gays THAT much.... but that's just sick. Why are people pushing this krap forward?

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 10:36am

How are equal rights sickening? How would you even notice if they got these rights?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 12:37pm

It's terrible the way gays have been vilified over the past few years.  For so long they fought for their rights - they get them and now a change of government is eliminating them.

Justice Kirby has a point - why should his pension just disappear into thin air when all the other judges who die can leave their lucrative pension to their wives.  He's been in a relationship for many years and worked hard for his money, so why isn't his "spouse" entitled to it - like any other spouse?

Spouse means - husband, wife, partner or mate.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

the right to have children
Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:11pm

Do gay men have the right to have children in Australia..just wondering?

In America they do.

Im wondering if gay men having children in theyre care is in the best interest of the child.!

By that I mean school peers not understanding and confused gender roles as they grow to adulthood.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:24pm

It depends on what you mean by 'have.'

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 5:17pm

i dont know whgat all the complaining is about, gay people have the same marriage rights as everyone else, a gay man can marry any woman he wants Cheesy.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 8:20pm

freediver wrote on Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:24pm:
It depends on what you mean by 'have.'

I guess i mean..is it appropriate for gay men to have children in theyre care?

many pple dont agree with it..I guess there are reasons.

Soem gay men use surrogacy to have a baby. This somehow doesnt seem right to me.

For lots of different reasons

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print