Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Liberals trying to gag voters..sneaky deceitful. (Read 10010 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Liberals trying to gag voters..sneaky deceitfu
Reply #15 - Apr 6th, 2007 at 4:49pm

Quote:
Face it, if some person you consider to be less educated than you chooses to vote differently to you based on less informed views than you, then suck sh!t, that is our system. Do you propose we go back to an elitist system where only the well educated and rich can participate in the political process?

Well said zoso - but I think that's exactly what sense means.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Apr 7th, 2007 at 9:03am

What I want to know is this: what about the group of people who are not 18 when the election is called, but turn 18 before the election is held?

You are allowed to enrol before you turn 18. See the link I posted.

Labor has a clear majority among those who have to be coerced into voting - Liberals have a majority amongst those who would vote anyway.

Interesting. Do you have any stats to back this up?

I don't think there is anything more or less democratic about compulsory or optional voting.

Why otherwise would the Liberal party be against compulsory voting and the Labor party for it?

Ideology perhaps? How do you know the Liberals are against it?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Should prisoners get to vote???????
Reply #17 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 6:16pm

Threads on electoral reform:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/current-debates.html

Now this is interesting - a debate about our constitution!

Prisoner challenges jail vote ban

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Prisoner-challenges-jail-vote-ban/2007/04/25/1177459768161.html

A Victorian prisoner will challenge in the High Court laws that ban jail inmates from voting.

The case, brought by Vickie Lee Roach, 48, will be heard in June and could eventually win back the right to vote for Australia's prisoners, Fairfax newspapers report on Wednesday.

Roach is being held in the Dame Phyllis Frost Women's Prison at Deer Park.

She was jailed for at least four years in 2004 for negligently causing serious injury in a car accident, the report said.

Roach would argue that Commonwealth Electoral Act provisions which barred prisoners from voting in federal elections were unconstitutional, Fairfax said.

The ban was introduced last year in legislative changes that shortened the period people can enrol to vote after an election is called from seven days to three days, and required them to provide proof of identity when enrolling or updating their enrolment.

Previously, only prisoners serving sentences of more than five years were barred from voting.

Barristers Ron Merkel QC and Michael Pearce SC, leading corporate law firm Allens Arthur Robinson and the non-profit Human Rights Law Resource Centre were acting free of charge for Roach, Fairfax said.

Roach's High Court application said the laws breached sections of the constitution that said parliament should be "directly chosen by the people", and unlawfully breached implied constitutional freedoms of political participation and political communication.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Voters ignorant of enrolment rules
Reply #18 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 4:32pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/voters-ignorant-of-enrolment-rules/2007/08/18/1186857848609.html

Despite costly publicity about new enrolment rules, more than 80 per cent of voters don't know the electoral rolls close the day an election is called.

Before the law was changed in April, people were allowed to enroll to vote in the seven days after an election was called.

"The AEC (Australian Electoral Commission) has been put in a very difficult position," Taren Stinebrickner, electoral director of the independent action group Getup!, told The Sun-Herald.

"These changes have made it difficult to for them to fill their mission and keep up-to-date enrolment records."

Up to 80,000 people who are eligible to vote, mostly those who turned 18 since the last election, could be left off the roll because of the changes.

Voting and enrolment is compulsory, and failure to comply carries a $110 fine.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #19 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 11:58am

Quote:
Up to 80,000 people who are eligible to vote,

This is unbelieveable..what can be done..?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

superdupercooper

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 1:21pm

If dumb people weren't allowed to vote there would be a revolution because dumb people outnumber smart people, are usually fitter and more prone to violence. No one likes dictators.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #21 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 5:24pm

Quote:
Up to 80,000 people who are eligible to vote

Yes this is a worry - the figures could actually be more.  I hope the electoral roll has been revised and updated since the last State election.  My son was on the roll for 4 years, but just disappeared off it at the last election - along with hundreds, possibly thousands of others.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print