Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
When good men do nothing! (Read 8582 times)
auzgurl
Ex Member

When good men do nothing!
Mar 1st, 2007 at 1:28pm

Just a thought everyone.

I beleive that pple who stand by and witness an injustice take place are just as bad as the perpetrators themselves.

This applies to us all in everyday life but on a much larger scale ie: Allowing the Government to turn its back on blatant injustices such as david Hicks..

Allow them to sell us wishy washy piffle about Global warming and continually downplay the gravity of the situation to avaid making the hard decsions re the economy and theyre political life.

Why dont/didnt we as the pple come down on these creeps harder and more forceful when WE KNOW they lie and deceive..we talk amongst ourselves a lot but dont actually DO anything???

Are we guilty of being  'good men who do nothing' when they are dehumanising the likes of Hicks and playing with the future of our childrens planet?
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2007 at 2:17pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Re: When good men do nothing!
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 2:23pm

is it about people power..?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 5:29pm

Yes we have become apathetic - sometimes I wonder if governments have planned it this way.  Everything is within reaching distance and we don't have to struggle much anymore.

I think this so called great economy is doing a lot of damage to us.  We sit at our desks or in our cars and hear the world news and it just goes in one ear and out the other.

Even though it would be hard I sometimes think we need a recession/depression to get us thinking, planning and moving again.  We need to struggle a bit more to live and learn to help those less fortunate ourselves.

Why aren't we jumping up and down about global warming and a million or so of us out protesting and demanding competence and truth from our governments.  Because we're too scared and too lazy.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 5:39pm

Answer your questions?

free-speech-2.jpg (20 KB | 134 )
free-speech-2.jpg
Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 6:01pm

I don't think we have become apathetic. We care about people from different cultures on the other side of the world far more than at any other time in history. We are at war with Iraq, or at least we were, yet a significant portion of the public debate was framed in terms of the welfare of the Iraqi people. Global warming is only the second truly global pollution issue, after CFCs and the ozone hole, and is leading to far greater adjustments than was required to fix the CFC issue. The general public is debating far more complex environmental and social issues than ever before.

A recession would not make people care more about these issues. It would make people care more about the economy, which would make scare campaigns such as that being used by Howard to dampen enthusiam for solutions to climate change far more effective. When there is a tradeoff between the economy and the environment, people are always keener to look after the environment if they feel financially secure.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 6:06pm

"A" recession would not make people care more about these issues. It would make people care more about the economy, which would make scare campaigns such as that being used by Howard to dampen enthusiam for solutions to climate change far more effective. When there is a tradeoff between the economy and the environment, people are always keener to look after the environment if they feel financially secure. "

good points there FD.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 6:30pm

Just thinking out oud here.

A tradeoff between environmental and economic concerns is usually a tradeoff between short and long term economic interests, as basic measures of productivity ultimately depend on the environment. It is a tradeoff between short term prosperity and long term sustainability.

Also, even environmental issues that have no clear direct impact on productivity still have a value because future generations will tend to value the environment far more that we do (assuming they are wealthier). This is especially true for irreversible damage to the environment. Our failure to recognise this results from our inability to recognise the value of what was lost forever before we were born. This can be demonstrated by the expense many western countries are going to to reintroduce large predators to areas where they were previously wiped out. Provided the predator is not extinct we are able, via political channels, to place an economic value on what was lost, as measured by the lengths we are rpepared to go to to reintroduce it. We can only assume that such values will continue to increase and that future generations will go to enourmous expense to correct damage we inflicted for comparitively minor economic gain.

IP Logged

Stu

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 6:47pm

Talk is talk and is cheap

what have i been saying

To stand and fight now thats something

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 6:48pm

Fight for what? Or just fight?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 7:33pm

Freediver says:

Quote:
A tradeoff between environmental and economic concerns is usually a tradeoff between short and long term economic interests, as basic measures of productivity ultimately depend on the environment. It is a tradeoff between short term prosperity and long term sustainability.

Your statement makes sense - but  multi national corporations and industry don't tend to look at the long term sustainability of the environment they are exploiting.  They only look at increasing the resource export and if one mine runs dry - move onto the next.  They don't say "we've only got so many billions of tonnes of minerals and we want our business to be sustainable for a 100 years, so we will reduce our exports, as well as our profits in order to keep that mine going for the next century".

When one resource has been depleted - they'll move onto the next - leaving behind infertile and poisonous ground. 

Great wealth places a greater demand on suppliers for "toys" - most of which have a short life span, increase CO2 emissions and then get used as landfill to create even more damage to our land.

Perhaps if we had less wealth, we would be creating less damage to our environment and to people, particularly now that more than 50% of westerners are obese or overweight.  Just imagine if our oil  supply came to an end and we had to walk everywhere - or ride our bikes.   Most people are aware of the irreparable damage huge oil companies have caused to third world countries where they have no fresh drinking water and their once fertile soils are now poisonous wastelands.   

Multinationals like Exxon Corp., Mobil Corp. and Phillips Petroleum Corp make obscene profits amounting to $ billions - how much of those profits get put back into repairing the destruction they leave in their continual search for more resources?

The demand for goods is so great, because the multinationals tell us we need their products. If the demand for goods wasn't so great, less trauma would be caused to our environment.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2007 at 7:37pm

Poor and rich societies are equally adept at destroying their environment. It's just that wealthy societies get more creative about it. Plenty of prehistoric empires have collapsed after overextending themselves militarily, eroding their soils, raising the water table and creating salt problems or chopping all their trees down.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2021 at 7:35pm

Like the injustice done to Trump?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2021 at 7:40pm

Australia is gradually seeing its national pride eroded deliberately to keep us isolated.
The family unit is being destroyed in the name of equality.
Race/gender equality is used as a means of attacking any who question anything
And the introduction of primitive cultures, who do not integrate is creating deliberate culture walls.

Its a simple ploy..divide and conquer.
While you are defending, you cannot attack

The grubberment want us all on the back foot.
And they are doing it well.

Too bad it will destroy a once wonderful Australian society

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2021 at 8:03pm

Jasin wrote on Dec 11th, 2021 at 7:35pm:

Trump was the injustice. Nothing was done to him.

But he has dome plenty to others.

Trump should be in prison.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2021 at 8:11pm

Dnarever wrote on Dec 11th, 2021 at 8:03pm:
Jasin wrote on Dec 11th, 2021 at 7:35pm:

Trump was the injustice. Nothing was done to him.

But he has dome plenty to others.

Trump should be in prison.

whatever

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print