Send Topic Print
JOHN HOWARD (Read 123877 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
JOHN HOWARD
Jan 23rd, 2007 at 11:59am

I can't find any articles yet, but apparently John Howard has reshuffled his cabinet again and dumped Ian Campbell as environment minister. And good riddance (if it is true). This was long overdue after that parrot and wind farm affair.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2007 at 9:20am by ozadmin »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Ian Campbell dumped, Howard reshuffles cabinet
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 12:47pm

greens press release

Senator Rachel Siewert

Australian Greens Senator for WA

Tuesday, 23 January 2007

Howard reshuffle prepares for Climate Election

The Prime Minister's portfolio reshuffle is a clear acknowledgement of
the Government's faltering performance on the key election issues of
climate change and water, industrial relations and immigration.

"It is clear that these areas are the major battlegrounds of the coming
Federal election, and the Government knows it has been performing very
poorly," said Australian Greens spokesperson Senator Rachel Siewert
today.

"Prime Minister Howard has missed a golden opportunity to establish a
ministry of climate change to reflect the over-arching nature of the
greatest threat to the nation. Dumping Ian Campbell is a sensible move
and we hope that Malcolm Turnbull's promotion reflects a new
appreciation for the importance of climate change.

"The Government's values are on open display this morning -
'multiculturalism' has been replaced with 'citizenship', reflecting an
increasing emphasis on intolerance, exclusion and what is
'unAustralian'."

"The most important Australian value is the right to a fair go, which
went out the window with the introduction of Work Choices. Howard has
had to appoint Joe Hockey to spin his disastrous IR agenda since Kevin
Andrews' approach has clearly broken down."

"I wish the new Ministers well and hope this reshuffle reflects a change
in the spirit of the Government, and not just an attempt to paper over
the serious mistakes of the last few years."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2007 at 12:55pm

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/23/asia/AS-POL-Australia-Cabinet-Reshuffle.php

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2007 at 6:33pm

Campbell's dumped while Malcolm Turnbull is promoted.  Turnbull has made no secret of the fact that water should be privatised.

The rich can continue to waste it, while those who are careful will have to ration it even further.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Is Howard losing his touch?
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:16am

Howard used to come across as a very clever politician. He always appeared thoughtful, deliberate and humble. But lately he has been making a lot of uncharacteristic outbursts. He and other top liberals have started launching attacks against senior opposition figures that sound more personal than political. Then Howard came out with the attack against Barack Obama, the US presidential candidate for the Democrats. Howard has always been careful to nurture our close relationship with the US, but is now willing to throw it out the window for partisan politics. How strong would the US-Australia relationship be if Obama wins and has to deal with Howard diplomatically? Is this a sign of desperation from the coalition? Maybe they know they are going down in the next election and don't have the patience to wait for Labor to do something stupid - or they know they won't. Can we expect George Bush to return the favour and try to prop up Howard in our next federal election?

Rather than responding in kind, Obama challenged Howard to send more troops to Iraq and gained a lot of mileage from the criticism. This is the sort of clever response I would have expected from the old Howard.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/PM-Howard-bizarre-say-US-Democrats/2007/02/12/1171128843898.html

Prime Minister John Howard has been described as bizarre and irrelevant by US Democrats after he launched an attack on Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

Mr Howard said al-Qaeda would be praying for an Obama-led White House because Mr Obama has promised to withdraw US combat troops from Iraq by March 2008.

A string of Democrats have reacted angrily to Mr Howard's comments which have received widespread media coverage in the US.

Democrat senator Ron Wyden said it was hard to be polite about Mr Howard.

"The most charitable thing you can say about Mr Howard's comment is bizarre," Senator Wyden said.

Even Republicans have criticised Mr Howard for interfering in US domestic affairs.

"I would prefer that Mr Howard stay out of our domestic politics and we will stay out of his domestic politics," Texas Republican senator John Cornyn said.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/obama-dismisses-howards-iraq-criticism/2007/02/11/1171128806932.html

Prime Minister John Howard has set off a firestorm between Australia and the US Democratic Party after he criticised the Iraq policy of Barack Obama, a wildly popular Democrat who is potentially the next president of the US.

Democrats have reacted with disdain, with Mr Obama saying if Mr Howard is so strongly supportive of the war in Iraq then he should send another 20,000 Australian troops into battle.

If Mr Howard did not take up the invitation, Mr Obama said the comments became nothing more than "empty rhetoric".

"I think it's flattering that one of George Bush's allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced (I would run for the 2008 Democrat presidential nomination)."

Mr Howard is under pressure over Australia's involvement in the war, with opinion polls consistently showing the conflict is unpopular with Australian voters.

The latest ACNielsen poll in Fairfax newspapers has the opposition Labor party 16 percentage points in front of the governing coalition on a two-party preferred vote while Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd also leads Mr Howard in the preferred prime minister stakes.

Labor has pledged to bring Australian troops home, through negotiation with the US, if it wins office later this year.

"Mr Howard must not allow his personal relationship with President Bush to impact on Australia's long-term alliance relationship with the United States," Mr Rudd said.

"I disagreed with the coalition's decision to invade Iraq ... But I have seen it as my role to discuss the future of Australian foreign policy on Iraq, not lecture United States citizens on how they should vote in the upcoming presidential election."

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Is Howard losing his touch?
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 7:24pm

Yes he is losing his touch.  I saw some of the interview yesterday between Laurie Oakes and Howard, and it surprised me how feeble he has become, but he is not a young man.

It looks as though he wasn't careful and the Americans have jumped on his comment - mild as it appeared at the time.

He's had his reign and  has always been a regressive PM believing that the richer you are the more worthy you are and many australians have not been able to keep up with his so called "great economy" and are sliding backwards.

Our economy is not great regardless of the spiel he gives - and australians now have credit card debt of $40 billion - not to mention $500 billion in mortgages and more than $500 billion trade deficit.  We are going downhill - not uphill as Howard likes to tell us.

IP Logged

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 10:58pm

Is John Howard losing his touch..?

Well is the Pope a Catholic?..I think that would be a gutsy  yes ! Freediver.

I kind of think and for no apparent reason than gut feeling, that he thinks his time might be up. Rudd is streaking away in the polls..he IS AT the end of his 3rd term..kind of puts the mockers on any self confidence he might be able to muster at this late stage.

We also have to factor in male menopause dont we and the fact his eyebrows ARE GETTING THINNER? Maybe all the bravado is just getting a bit wearing at his age.

The preoccupation and what I see as desperate measures re Hicks is also a bit uncharacteristic, whereas previously he stood by the courage of his convictions when pitted against the likes of 'no ticker Beasley' he is now pandering to public pressure.

Bush is almost at the end of his reign too..so politically he is at a crossroads perhaps.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 4:53pm

Howard's at the end of his fourth term and I think you're right Avatar, age is catching up with him.  The only problem is will there be enough votes in the right places to win back all those seats the Nationals and Liberals currently hold?

The odds don't look good even if Rudd gains a lot more votes - particularly as in the 1995 election, Beazley actually won more votes than Howard, but lost because of the the way the preferences were divided up.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Howard is waiting for your call...
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 7:00pm

Grin

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21312145-601,00.html

DAVID Hicks' father Terry today challenged John Howard during a radio talkback session.

Mr Howard agreed to take the call, saying: "I never refuse to take a call from anybody."

Call to action on David Hicks http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1170817283

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Howard is waiting for your call...
Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 7:09pm

Howard was obviously put on the spot.  I brought this subject up on Cracker - this new charge of "providing material support for terrorism".  When all other lawyers believed this law to be retrospective - Howard managed to quickly add that it was a 1994 law.

I believe Howard dug up this "unused" and probably obselete law to save his own skin and help the US get out of a tight spot.  He is supposed to be supporting Australians, not denying them real justice.

He is a very clever politician - just not a moral one, although he pretends otherwise.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 7:22pm

Isn't it an American law, not an Australian one?

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
I'll call right now and shake the mans hand...
Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 7:53pm

mantra wrote on Mar 2nd, 2007 at 7:09pm:
I believe Howard dug up this "unused" and probably obselete law to save his own skin and help the US get out of a tight spot.  He is supposed to be supporting Australians, not denying them real justice.

He is a very clever politician - just not a moral one, although he pretends otherwise.

If your right we've got a genuis running the country.

He must be doing wonders for the country diplomatically overseas. I wonder if our trade figures reflect this? Anyone that doesn't vote for John Howrad to beat Crudd is off their heads.
Shocked

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 8:26pm

Quote:
providing material support for terrorism

It's an international law - that has most likely been dug up from the depths of ambiguity - which could apply to everything, but equally to nothing - so it suits the Coalition's purposes.

And Enviro - Howard is a political genius only - but also a self serving megalomaniac.  I've gone off Rudd as well.  There's only one politician with integrity and a genuine desire to preserve humanity and that's my favourite Senator - Bob Brown.

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 9:03pm

Bob Brown is a good choice but, not as a Green Party leader, maybe as President of a Republic. The Green Party is flawed in too many areas and I don't believe they have a strong team to manage this country.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 10:08pm

The Greens appear fairly quiet - mainly because the media doesn't give them the time of day.

They have someone to represent them in most electorates in NSW and many of these people are professionals in their employment and genuinely concerned about the environment and justice. 

This year they seem to be totally alienated by the media.  Occasionally someone will criticise and misinterpret one of Bob Brown's comments - but the general feeling by members of the major parties is to deride the Greens to ensure they don't threaten the safety of their seats.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 59
Send Topic Print