Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
UK - mandatory national service. (Read 828 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
UK - mandatory national service.
May 26th, 2024 at 10:38am

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cpddxy9r4mdo

Conservatives plan to bring back mandatory national service

33 minutes ago
Emily McGarvey,BBC News

The Conservative Party has said it would bring back mandatory national service if it wins the general election.

It said 18-year-olds would have a choice of either joining the military full-time, or volunteering one weekend every month carrying out a community service.

The party is proposing a Royal Commission to consider the details but would plan for the first teenagers to take part in September 2025.

The cost is expected to be around £2.5bn per year.

Under the plans, young people could choose a full-time, 12-month placement in the armed forces or UK cyber defence, learning about logistics, cyber security, procurement or civil response operations.

Their other option would be to volunteer one weekend per month - or 25 days per year - in their community with organisations such as fire, police and the NHS.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he believed bringing back compulsory service across the UK would help foster the "national spirit" that emerged during the pandemic.

Mr Sunak said: “This is a great country but generations of young people have not had the opportunities or experience they deserve and there are forces trying to divide our society in this increasingly uncertain world.

“I have a clear plan to address this and secure our future. I will bring in a new model of National Service to create a shared sense of purpose among our young people and a renewed sense of pride in our country."

A number of European countries, including Sweden, Norway and Denmark, already have a form of conscription for their armed forces.

Conscription requires young men and women to serve for a limited time in uniform. It means that some of the population will have had some military training - and can then be assigned to reserve units should war break out.

Cuts in the British Army have seen its size fall from more than 100,000 in 2010 to around 73,000 as of January 2024.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Re: UK - mandatory national service.
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2024 at 11:02am

I'm sure aquascoot will be along shortly to give us another lecture about "personal responsibility" and the "superior man" but before he does, my opinion is that I would probably be able to count the number of young people who will sign up for this with the fingers on both hands (and that's probably an overestimate). Mandatory or not... and if everyone ignores it what will the government do? Fine and/or jail millions of young people?

As useless and incompetent as our own PM is I get the distinct impression Rishi Sunak is a whole lot worse.

A perfect example is how he (and Boris Johnson before him) let Covid run rampant in the UK resulting in nearly a quarter of a million deaths and 2 million Long Covid cases (and increasing) and he now wants everyone to get back to work and as an "encouragement" he wants to remove GPs’ abilities to issue sick notes.

‘Incredibly insulting’: prime minister announces plans to curb ‘sick note culture’

Quote:
Prime minister Rishi Sunak last week announced plans to remove GPs’ abilities to issue sick notes, as reports have emerged that the government is also planning to scrap a major scheme designed to support disabled people into work.

With so many people off sick all the time - and the same thing is now happening in Australia - there won't be enough workers left soon to keep the economy going, so they can also forget about finding anyone to do National Service.

This dangerous man (Sunak) and his party needs to be booted out of office as soon as possible.

** Repeat Covid infections exercise our immune system in the same way that repeat concussions exercise our brain **

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2024 at 11:10am

Carl,
Quote:
my opinion is that I would probably be able to count the number of young people who will sign up for this with the fingers on both hands (and that's probably an overestimate). Mandatory or not... and if everyone ignores it what will the government do? Fine and/or jail millions of young people?

Yes - it's not going to be a popular idea.
Then again - unless the war in Ukraine stops soon the UK will be in it
and so will all of Europe.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2024 at 11:30am

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 11:10am:

Carl,
Quote:
my opinion is that I would probably be able to count the number of young people who will sign up for this with the fingers on both hands (and that's probably an overestimate). Mandatory or not... and if everyone ignores it what will the government do? Fine and/or jail millions of young people?

Yes - it's not going to be a popular idea.

Then again - unless the war in Ukraine stops soon the UK will be in it
and so will all of Europe.

bobby,

I suspect there could be -- militant -- protests on UK streets,
by members of WOKE and LEFTIST groups,
if any UK government tried to send UK conscripts to Ukraine ???

Young people.

Their heart is not in it, bobby ?....

'Self sacrifice, for others ?       .......what is that, all about ?'

Lets face it bobby, this is the...        'It is all about me!, me!, me!, me!'       generation !

bobby,

Couldn't the UK government just choose to send AI combat robots to Ukraine instead ???
Smiley       Smiley

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - May 26th, 2024 at 11:31am

Yadda,
Quote:
bobby,

Couldn't the UK government just choose to send AI combat robots to Ukraine instead ?

That's what guided missiles and cruise missiles are -
robot devices.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #5 - May 26th, 2024 at 11:38am

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 11:31am:
Yadda,
Quote:
bobby,

Couldn't the UK government just choose to send AI combat robots to Ukraine instead ?

robot devices.

bobby,

How long before someone pushes one of their bluff's too far ?
.....and WWIII starts ?

Or, in default, has WWIII already started ?

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - May 26th, 2024 at 11:41am

Yadda wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 11:38am:
Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 11:31am:
Yadda,
Quote:
bobby,

robot devices.

bobby,

How long before someone pushes one of their bluff's too far ?
.....and WWIII starts ?

Or, in default, has WWIII already started ?

Putin will push the nuke button when he he knows he's losing.
He'll take the world down with him like Samson.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - May 26th, 2024 at 11:51am

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 11:41am:

Putin will push the nuke button when he he knows he's losing.

He'll take the world down with him like Samson.

Yep.  !!!

It does not seem beyond the bounds of possibility, with someone [a personality] like Adolf Putin.

Stalin, Adolf, Xi, Putin.......all megalomaniacs.

In power, would we be any different ?

Absolute political power corrupts......absolutely.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 26th, 2024 at 11:59am

Bobby. wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 10:38am:
It said 18-year-olds would have a choice of either joining the military full-time, or volunteering one weekend every month carrying out a community service.

And if they choose to do neither?

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 26th, 2024 at 12:00pm

Another bright idea from a politician that is worth a sound bite or two but is utterly impractical in real life.  Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 26th, 2024 at 12:06pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 11:59am:

Are these dickheads going to throw teenagers in prison if they don't participate?

"The prison system in England and Wales is dangerously close to capacity, with 98 percent of available spaces full, according to data released by Britain’s Ministry of Justice on Friday that experts said underscored an ongoing crisis within the criminal justice system."

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #11 - May 26th, 2024 at 1:09pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 12:06pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 11:59am:

Are these dickheads going to throw teenagers in prison if they don't participate?

"The prison system in England and Wales is dangerously close to capacity, with 98 percent of available spaces full, according to data released by Britain’s Ministry of Justice on Friday that experts said underscored an ongoing crisis within the criminal justice system."

Concentration camps?

The people who accept conscription could be used to arrest and guard the ones who don't.

If the majority resists it will be a huge hit to the UK economy.

Conscription won't last longer than the time from execution of conscription to the next election.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2024 at 1:45pm

Carl D wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 11:02am:
I'm sure aquascoot will be along shortly to give us another lecture about "personal responsibility" and the "superior man" but before he does, my opinion is that I would probably be able to count the number of young people who will sign up for this with the fingers on both hands (and that's probably an overestimate). Mandatory or not... and if everyone ignores it what will the government do? Fine and/or jail millions of young people?

As useless and incompetent as our own PM is I get the distinct impression Rishi Sunak is a whole lot worse.

A perfect example is how he (and Boris Johnson before him) let Covid run rampant in the UK resulting in nearly a quarter of a million deaths and 2 million Long Covid cases (and increasing) and he now wants everyone to get back to work and as an "encouragement" he wants to remove GPs’ abilities to issue sick notes.

‘Incredibly insulting’: prime minister announces plans to curb ‘sick note culture’

Quote:
Prime minister Rishi Sunak last week announced plans to remove GPs’ abilities to issue sick notes, as reports have emerged that the government is also planning to scrap a major scheme designed to support disabled people into work.

With so many people off sick all the time - and the same thing is now happening in Australia - there won't be enough workers left soon to keep the economy going, so they can also forget about finding anyone to do National Service.

This dangerous man (Sunak) and his party needs to be booted out of office as soon as possible.

2 million  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2024 at 2:32pm

The vast majority of the young folk will choose:
"volunteering one weekend every month carrying out a community service"

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 26th, 2024 at 2:54pm

Bias_2012 wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 2:32pm:
The vast majority of the young folk will choose:
"volunteering one weekend every month carrying out a community service"

What about the ones who choose neither option, though - are they gonna throw them in prison?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print