Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Albanese Lashes Dutton's Risky Nuclear Plan (Read 543 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Albanese Lashes Dutton's Risky Nuclear Plan
May 25th, 2024 at 11:03am

Anthony Albanese lashes Peter Dutton’s ‘risky’ nuclear plan amid broader energy debate
May 24 2034
News.com.au
Anthony Albanese has called on Peter Dutton to come clean about his nuclear plan, discrediting the idea as a “risky proposition”, amid a broader debate on Australia’s energy future.   Sad

The Opposition plans to build up to seven nuclear reactors across the country in places where coal and gas-fired stations already exist, but despite reports of where those locations might be, has remained tight lipped – promising voters the details will be released “in due course”.

The Coalition has also batted away suggestions it will cost up to $17bn and take up to two decades to build the first nuclear reactor, as outlined in a CSIRO report this week.

Mr Dutton doubled down on his plan to go nuclear on Friday, despite the report also stating the electricity produced by nuclear energy would cost twice as much as that of renewables.   Sad

“We’ve got to get serious about a new energy system as we decarbonise and modernise, and nuclear is a key part of that,” Mr Dutton told Channel 9.

Mr Albanese said Mr Dutton needed to tell Australians what his plan was, because it was a “risky proposition” that “didn’t stack up”.

“He told people he would tell them in March, and then it was going to be before the budget, then the budget reply, and now we’re still waiting, now it’s June,” Mr Albanese told 4BC.

“He needs to say where they’re going to be, who’s going to pay for them, and how much they’ll cost.”

Mr Albanese, who will mark his second anniversary as Prime Minister on Friday by delivering a speech spruiking the need for “much more clean energy” to get Australia to net zero emissions by 2050, said the goal of his government was to shore up energy security.

Labor on Thursday launched its national battery strategy, aimed at improving Australia’s manufacturing output and reducing reliance on China.

Mr Dutton says the energy policy will be released ‘in due course’.

Mr Dutton said he wanted to believe battery power could provide the baseload power needed for the country but “it just can’t”, and poked holes in the reliability of wind and solar power.

“So you need to firm it up. And we know at the moment, Labor governments in Victoria and NSW are extending the life of coal-fired power stations because they’re worried about the lights going out,” he said.

The NSW government made a deal to extend the life of the Eraring power station, drawing the ire of the Greens and the teals.

Education Minister Jason Clare, appearing on Sunrise, said it was a “common sense step” to extend its life.

“But we have got to make the step from the old coal-fired power stations to renewable energy, and you can extend the life of these … for two years,” he said.

“What you can’t do is extend them for 16 years, which is what you would need to do if you went down Peter Dutton’s half-baked yellow cake idea of nuclear power that would cost a bomb, that would take too long to replace one of these old coal-fired power stations, and frankly, is about as popular as a poo in a pool.”

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Albanese Lashes Dutton's Risky Nuclear Plan
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2024 at 8:16pm

Well - he would, wouldn't he?

If we keep the pressure up in an election year we might be given batteries for free.... it's a chernobyl ambition... glowing so to speak... no need for a meltdown over it.... just consider it openly and fairly - put the power stations on some of that brand new sacred land and any problems won't affect more than ten people...

If every part is 'sacred' or 'culturally significant' there'll be none left anywhere else anyway.... but I doubt you lot care much... you can't even raise the flag for kids' minds being twisted by social media....  every time the MSN puts out a thing about great sites to visit in Oz - the general gist is - 'get to it now before it is all locked up as sacred or something equally silly'....

I know I am in the majority..... even though they put this sh
i
t into kids' heads from age three or so... 

"What did you learn in school today, son?"

"I learned that all Abo land claims are sacred, that all whites like you are racist, that women must always be believed over a man, and that gender can be anything I want it to be, and that the government never tells lies even when they do ..... so don't call me son or White again...
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2024 at 8:23pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2024 at 7:15pm

AnAl really should listen to the experts here instead of the hopelessly corrupted CSIRO:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=y_J1gSeWomA

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2024 at 7:22pm

That's right baronvontwit, he should listen to random tube wannabes instead of the country's leading scientific organisation.

I'll bet you've never been accused of being a genius.  Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - May 26th, 2024 at 7:31pm

Belgarion wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 7:15pm:
AnAl really should listen to the experts here instead of the hopelessly corrupted CSIRO:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=y_J1gSeWomA

Thanks - so the politicians lied.   Shocked

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2024 at 9:08pm

For some reason, I can't fathom, how the cost issue isn't clear?  I mean sure, it's an estimate, but if there's alternative mathematics how come they aren't out for scrutiny?  Because there actually isn't?

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2024 at 10:19am

John Smith wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 7:22pm:
That's right baronvontwit, he should listen to random tube wannabes instead of the country's leading scientific organisation.

The countrys 'leading scientific organistion' is run by professional board sitters who do what their political masters tell them to. It is a poor shadow of its former self. The bloke in the video on the other hand is an honorary professor of nuclear physics at ANU  and has worked in the nuclear power  field for over 30 years.

Who do you think is better qualified?  Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2024 at 7:52pm

Belgarion wrote on May 27th, 2024 at 10:19am:
John Smith wrote on May 26th, 2024 at 7:22pm:

The countrys 'leading scientific organistion' is run by professional board sitters who do what their political masters tell them to. It is a poor shadow of its former self. The bloke in the video on the other hand is an honorary professor of nuclear physics at ANU  and has worked in the nuclear power  field for over 30 years.

Who do you think is better qualified?  Roll Eyes

Csiro.  Any day of the week. 

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2024 at 7:57pm

John Smith wrote on May 27th, 2024 at 7:52pm:
Csiro.

You mean the CSIRO that uses Lazard's calculations for LCOE of storage? The one that uses four hours only of battery power? That one? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2024 at 9:01pm

Quote:
You mean

The one with more credibility than either you or baronvontwit?  yes, that's the one I mean.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2024 at 9:51pm

Poor JS, never lets the truth get in the way of his preferred story.

https://www.lazard.com.au/media/g3jjbcgs/lazards-levelized-cost-of-storage-versi...

Page 23. If you can understand it. Wink

"In the column headed “Storage Duration (Hours),” we find a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 4. Four hours of duration just happens to be the norm for the capability of today’s most cost-effective battery storage technology, lithium ion batteries. Unfortunately, the studies that I feature in my energy storage Report calculate that the number of hours duration of storage needed to fully “firm” a system using only wind and solar generation would be at least one month (720 hours), and potentially two to three months (1440 to 2160 hours). Lazard would seem to be off by a factor of somewhere between 180 and 540 of what would be needed."

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2023-12-17-climate-advocacy-incompetenc...

That may be easier for you to understand.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2024 at 10:16pm

Not sure why you think batteries are relevant to the topic Lee.  Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 28th, 2024 at 11:47am

John Smith wrote on May 27th, 2024 at 10:16pm:
Not sure why you think batteries are relevant to the topic Lee.

Because Guido, if you don't get nuclear you are going to be stuck with renewables. Roll Eyes

Unless you think renewables don't need backup; something with which the CSIRO disagrees. Wink

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 28th, 2024 at 2:22pm

lee wrote on May 28th, 2024 at 11:47am:
Because Guido, if you don't get nuclear you are going to be stuck with renewables. Roll Eyes

Unless you think renewables don't need backup; something with which the CSIRO disagrees. Wink

so we should ignore australias leading scientific body because batteries make you cry?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 28th, 2024 at 2:44pm

John Smith wrote on May 28th, 2024 at 2:22pm:
so we should ignore australias leading scientific body because batteries make you cry?

So you can't follow a logical argument. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print