Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
X loses battle with Muslims (Read 525 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

X loses battle with Muslims
May 24th, 2024 at 5:28pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: X loses battle with Muslims
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2024 at 11:03pm

"With Australia being the home of the Christchurch attacker — he was born in Grafton, NSW — Ms Markwell said "Muslims here are very sensitive to the fact that we need to protect our communities from that kind of hate mongering online"

And Traditional Aussies plus other non-believing infidels need to protect themselves from knife wielding muslims

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2024 at 7:45am

Quote:
The decision is a win for the Australian Muslim Advocacy Network (AMAN), which lodged a complaint in July 2022 accusing X of being responsible for publishing denigrating and hateful comments from a far-right conspiracy group, about Muslims being "an existential threat" to the world.

Anyone know what they actually said?

Quote:
However Professor Gelber said the ruling wouldn't allow an immediate order to make X take down the "hate speech" comments, as it would first require mediation between the two parties.

Sounds like a recipe for endless paperwork and ambiguity.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:57pm

Quote:
The decision is a win for the Australian Muslim Advocacy Network (AMAN)

Even their acronyms show a misogynistic intent.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 11:51pm

If you bother to read their links, you would see that there is plenty of embellished claims of Islamophobia.

Islamophobic incidents surged in Australia in the aftermath of Christchurch mosque terror attacks

Quote:
Ayah* was unbuckling her one-year-old daughter from the back seat of her car when she was startled by the sound of a revving engine behind her.

The driver, a Caucasian male who Ayah guesses was in his mid-40s, then followed her on foot into the Perth shopping centre.

When she called police to report the menacing encounter and ask them to review CCTV footage to track the driver's registration, she was left disappointed by the response she received.

Ayah said the policewoman who took her call seemed sympathetic at first but that shifted when she explained that she believed she was targeted because of her identity.

You would think the very reason of pulling the religious card, in trying to determine the reason why someone *might* be following and harassing you, would be rather presumptuous.

Quote:
For Ayah, the driver's behaviour was threatening and built on previous experiences in Perth where strangers grunted about "halal food and terrorism" when she passed by.

"It's scary because I have children who will be visibly Muslim themselves, and I worry about what sort of country they'll be growing up in.

A lot of non-Muslim Australians (97% of Australians) also wonder about what sort of country their children will inherit. Having heard years ago about Muslim attacks against non-Muslims in Sydney, it is not surprising that people want to stay clear of Muslims.

It is difficult enough for tourists in the Middle East to visit certain landmarks without being harassed by the locals. But, to have that kind of attitude come to Australia and continue to harass Australian locals, it is no wonder that "Ayah" hears snide remarks out in public about her background. Better than being treated like crap for being a woman in an Islamic country.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2024 at 12:03am

Elon wasn't in charge of X when Christchurch happened.

The leftists who ran twitter before Elon didn't allow accounts critical of Islam or covid.

QCAT is a civil court as FD pointed out in his post they will suggest mediation Elon is likely to respond with GFY.

Muslims want blasphemy laws so people can't criticise Islam we should say GFY to anyone who supports blasphemy laws.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2024 at 1:21pm

Tell me, Baron how often have you been judged on for carrying a gun?  On your dress?  Your beliefs?  Often?  I wonder why?  Who'd do that sort of thing?  Did you think it was rather unfair of you as a person?   Tsk, tsk, tsk...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2024 at 5:28pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2024 at 4:14pm

Brian Ross wrote on May 24th, 2024 at 5:28pm:

Pregnant Arnima, 19, sent a desperate text to her only friend. Forty-five minutes later she was dead. Now her husband's chilling act after killing her and partially dissolving her body in an acid bath can be revealed
Meraj Zafar, 22, pleaded guilty to killing his wife this week
Tradie tried to dissolve body of Arnima Hayat, 19, in acid

The aspiring doctor had wanted to leave her abusive husband, whom she had married in a secret Islamic ceremony only four months before.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2024 at 3:18pm

In short: X will be able to continue hosting graphic stabbing videos, with a legal challenge now abandoned.
The eSafety commissioner's attempted take down was seen as a test case for Australia's ability to enforce online safety standards.
What's next? The commissioner says she won't be cowed, and will focus on an independent review into the issue.

eSafety drops case against Elon Musk's X over church stabbing videos

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-05/esafety-elon-musk-x-church-stabbing-videos-court-case/103937152#:~:text=In%20short%3A%20X%20will%20be,to%20enforce%20online%20safety%20standards.

A legal battle to have graphic footage of a church stabbing in Sydney removed from Elon Musk's social media platform X will be abandoned by the eSafety commissioner.

Commissioner Julie Inman-Grant confirmed the Federal Court case would be abandoned, after several blows in court and an attempt to temporarily force the footage to be hidden expiring.

"After weighing multiple considerations, including litigation across multiple cases, I have considered this option likely to achieve the most positive outcome for the online safety of all Australians, especially children," Ms Inman-Grant said.

"Our sole goal and focus in issuing our removal notice was to prevent this extremely violent footage from going viral, potentially inciting further violence and inflicting more harm on the Australian community and I stand by my investigators and the decisions eSafety made."

The case was seen as a test of Australia's ability to enforce online safety requirements on the social media platforms.

Posting on social media, X's government affairs arm celebrated the announcement.

"This case has raised important questions on how legal powers can be used to threaten global censorship of speech, and we are heartened to see that freedom of speech has prevailed," the company said.

Platforms 'monetising misery': News Corp boss
The social media platform initially refused an eSafety notice to remove the graphic stabbing videos, later deemed an act of terror, but the Federal Court temporarily ordered X to hide the videos.

X again refused to comply with that court order, arguing the initial take down order was not valid.

Elon Musk holds both hands out in front of him while contorting his mouth into a horrified expression
Elon Musk taunted the Australian government over its attempts to remove graphic content.(Reuters: Mario Anzuoni)
Mr Musk has repeatedly taunted the commissioner over her attempt to remove footage of Wakeley bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel being stabbed, calling her a global "censorship commissar".

News Corp Australia's executive chair Michael Miller has told the National Press Club that social media companies are "monetising misery", and profiting from violent and harmful content.

Mr Miller said the days of the digital Wild West had to stop.

"These companies have immense power, and it is critical that they do not undermine Australia’s sovereignty," Mr Miller said.

Responding to the eSafety commissioner dropping its legal challenge, Mr Miller said the case for change may in fact be proved "by losing in court, rather than by winning".

He said "social licence" laws should hold tech platforms accountable for the content they host if they want access to the Australian market.

In an exclusive interview with ABC Afternoon Briefing, Ms Inman-Grant argued the way the social media companies are structured meant content must be removed "globally", and Australia should have the right to issue those take downs.

"The idea of global deletion or wanting to 'globally censor' the internet is really a furphy ...  the simple fact of the matter is with all of these companies, they don't have internet infrastructure or servers here, the only way you can remove that content is at scale, at the source, which is in California," she said.

Ms Inman-Grant noted X routinely complied with take down notices, and that other major social media platforms had complied with the request to remove the stabbing footage.

She also told the ABC Mr Musk's attack against her resulted in a pile-on from his millions of followers, and the personal information of her children being exposed online.

"He issued a dog-whistle to 181 million users around the globe, which resulted in death threats directed at me, which resulted in doxxing of my family members, including my three children, so I think with great power comes with great responsibility," the commissioner said.

"Targeting a regulator who is here to protect the citizens of Australia is really beyond the pale, but it's not surprising [from Mr Musk]."

Ms Inman-Grant said however she would not be cowed, and other litigation against X would continue.

The commissioner said she would now focus her efforts on those matters and an independent review of her removal notice issued to X by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print