Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Put Dental Into Medicare And Bulk-Billing (Read 1755 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Put Dental Into Medicare And Bulk-Billing
Reply #45 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:39pm

JC Denton wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 2:45pm:
brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

If at any time you don't have access to a toothbrush & paste, just floss & rinse - it does wonders!

Since I've been flossing and rinsing with water twice a day, my dentist isn't getting any work from me.

My routine is: 1) floss, 2) rinse with water, 3) brush, 4) rinse with water, and then 5) rinse with mouthwash.   Twice a day.

IP Logged

Aquarius

Australian Politics

Northern Beaches
Reply #46 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:52pm

Daves2017 wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 9:38am:
If you have a health care card dental care is available for free in nsw and Qld ( don’t know about the other states and territories?).

So basically the idea put forward would achieve nothing other than reducing the amount already available for people doing it tough, increase taxes, and be subject to rorts  by dentists who will be delighted to buy another 3 holiday day houses!)

If you want to actually do something worthwhile that worked in the past and is extremely cheap to run, reintroduce dental education in primary school.

This was removed by liberal nsw government and labor Qld government.

A classic stupid decision.

Just as putting dental into Medicare is equally as stupid.

Ffs, you know?

Just brush your teeth properly if you know how!!

I agree regarding Medicare covering dental.  It would cost a fortune and there would have to be limits because so much of dental work these days is cosmetic.  I can't see it happening though because doctors are abandoning Medicare and dentists would be much the same. 

Maybe the govt could make a co payment towards dental costs for pensioners.  Free dental is just that - you get what you pay for and if you're not paying you don't get anything in return.  I think for older people they have a fill or pull attitude to dentistry because they're not going to spend time and money on the elderly. 

But they definitely should be spending more on preventative dentistry for younger kids.  A school dental health service should be compulsory. 

However I wouldn't be too harsh about baby boomers and their teeth - they didn't always have the benefits of fluorided water. They never had dental floss until much later in their lives.  They didn't have access as young children to preventative dentistry.  Most people smoked back then and their diets were full of carbonated drinks and carbohydrates. Hopefully most people know better now.  Unfortunately many are now suffering from decreased saliva caused by medications and chronic health conditions.  Teeth like bones become more brittle.  If these people need treatment and cannot afford it, they will have to go on a waiting list and they will find that there are only two treatments - either fill or pull. 

But it's always been thus - back in the 70s I worked at the Dental Hospital in Admin. At the time, the professors were waging war against the govt because funding was so inadequate that young children whose teeth and mouths were grossly malformed and their appearance so horrifying due in many cases to genetic causes that they were too afraid to go out in public, were waiting years and years to have their conditions corrected.

Nothing seems to have changed.  There is never enough funding. 

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - May 21st, 2024 at 4:56pm

Aquarius wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 4:52pm:
I agree regarding Medicare covering dental.  It would cost a fortune and there would have to be limits because so much of dental work these days is cosmetic. 

Sure.

Limit it to, for example, two checkups & cleans a year, two fillings a year, and one set of x-rays every two years.

Just that alone would be a huge benefit.

IP Logged

Aquarius

Australian Politics

Northern Beaches
Reply #48 - May 21st, 2024 at 5:56pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 4:56pm:
I agree regarding Medicare covering dental.  It would cost a fortune and there would have to be limits because so much of dental work these days is cosmetic. 

Sure.

Limit it to, for example, two checkups & cleans a year, two fillings a year, and one set of x-rays every two years.

Yes, that would be helpful and would hopefully get more people to attend a dental surgery.  This could actually be done by dental therapists which would be a big cost saving.  Or maybe a dental hygienist if necessary.  And they would only need to be seen by a dentist if they had more serious conditions. 

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - May 21st, 2024 at 6:04pm

greggerypeccary wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 4:39pm:
brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

If at any time you don't have access to a toothbrush & paste, just floss & rinse - it does wonders!

Since I've been flossing and rinsing with water twice a day, my dentist isn't getting any work from me.

[url]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71AcKiTLBuL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.
jpg[/url]

My routine is: 1) floss, 2) rinse with water, 3) brush, 4) rinse with water, and then 5) rinse with mouthwash.   Twice a day.

Pikseters - like flossing, only better and easier.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - May 21st, 2024 at 6:15pm

brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

jpg[/url]

never use mouthwash

it destroys your micro biome

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - May 21st, 2024 at 6:23pm

Aquarius wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 5:56pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 4:56pm:

Sure.

Yes, that would be helpful and would hopefully get more people to attend a dental surgery.  This could actually be done by dental therapists which would be a big cost saving.  Or maybe a dental hygienist if necessary.  And they would only need to be seen by a dentist if they had more serious conditions. 

Yep   Smiley

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - May 21st, 2024 at 6:27pm

aquascoot wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 6:15pm:
brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

jpg[/url]

never use mouthwash

Good one. My dentist advised against mouthwash for those reasons.

Baking soda is base - opposite of acid - so a baking soda toothpaste reduces the acidity in the mouth.

Picketers, rinse with water = pH neutral. Fluoride treatment.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - May 21st, 2024 at 6:29pm

Frank wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 6:27pm:
brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

jpg[/url]

never use mouthwash

Good one. My dentist advised against mouthwash for those reasons.

Baking soda is base - opposite of acid - so a baking soda toothpaste reduces the acidity in the mouth.

Picketers, rinse with water = pH neutral. Fluoride treatment.

Hmm, I'll look into this.

The only reason I use mouthwash is for the "whitening".

Maybe I need to reassess.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - May 21st, 2024 at 6:53pm

brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

jpg[/url]

never use mouthwash

Okay, I looked into this.

He really has nothing to back up his claims.

Multiple Google searches suggest he's just a podcaster out to make money.

"Fake! He takes studies and blow them out of proportion. His academic credentials are often not in line with his topics. It’s like when chiropractors like to play the role of nutritionists. - You get the wrong impression that he is an authority. He is not! - He is cherry-picking studies or partial results from within a study and then hype the heck out of it."

I actually have an appointment with my dentist tomorrow, for a checkup, so I'm gonna ask him about mouthwashes.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #55 - May 21st, 2024 at 7:07pm

brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

You would still need to brush your teeth twice a day. If I simply just flossed and rinsed twice a day, I would still have the plaque building up in my teeth. Brushing your teeth helps keep the plaque at bay, and even slowly removes the build up.

And I use baking soda as a mouthwash. Hold the baking soda in your mouth for 3 minutes. Then swish around the liquid for a minute or two. Then expel. Baking soda helps break down the plaque build up much better than mouthwash. Only the dentist can remove the plaque in your mouth more effectively.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - May 21st, 2024 at 7:11pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 7:07pm:
brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

You would still need to brush your teeth twice a day.

Ideally, yes.

But I said: "If at any time you don't have access to a toothbrush & paste".

For example, you get lucky at the pub and spend the night at a stranger's house.

You probably don't want to use their toothbrush, but you can quite safely use their dental floss and water.

Ideally, you brush twice a day.  I was just offering an alternative if a brush isn't available.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - May 21st, 2024 at 7:21pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 7:07pm:
brush ya teef more

And floss & rinse.

You would still need to brush your teeth twice a day. If I simply just flossed and rinsed twice a day, I would still have the plaque building up in my teeth. Brushing your teeth helps keep the plaque at bay, and even slowly removes the build up.

And I use baking soda as a mouthwash. Hold the baking soda in your mouth for 3 minutes. Then swish around the liquid for a minute or two. Then expel. Baking soda helps break down the plaque build up much better than mouthwash. Only the dentist can remove the plaque in your mouth more effectively.

The thing about brushing is about
On/under the gum line - tilt your brush
Between the teeth

A toothbrush doesn't  do a good enough job between the teeth where most of the festering happens. I am amazed how much brushing DOESN'T get but flossing/pikster does.

Today's word: interdental.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2024 at 8:32pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - May 21st, 2024 at 7:27pm

Frank wrote on May 21st, 2024 at 7:21pm:
A toothbrush doesn't  do a good enough job between the teeth where most of the festering happens. I am amazed how much brushing DOESN'T get but flossing/poster does.

Frank is, surprisingly, right.

If I could only choose one item from a) a toothbrush or b) a roll of dental floss, I'd choose b) the dental floss, in a heart beat.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #59 - May 21st, 2024 at 8:13pm

I have le toothbrush electrique and use tooth picks... with the brush I get right down to the gum line and dig a little, and do it twice, once with plaque remover and then with toothpaste ... sometimes I run a tooth pick along the gums and scrape like the dentist does.  My dentist says my teeth are clean even though some have committed suicide.... bloody hell...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print