Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Put Dental Into Medicare And Bulk-Billing (Read 1750 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Put Dental Into Medicare And Bulk-Billing
May 19th, 2024 at 4:24pm

‘Shocked’: Dentists advertise superannuation raids as early withdrawals spike

New Daily
May 16, 2024,

Millions more are being withdrawn for dental work as doctors push it as a service.   

Australians are being warned about the dangers of raiding their superannuation as tax office data shows a surge in people using retirement savings for dental work. 

Approved super withdrawals for dental work have spiked by more than $250 million between 2018 and 2023 – rising by 83 per cent in 2022-23 alone, according to government data reported by AAP.

The Dental Board of Australia is now worried about complaints that dentists are advertising early super withdrawals to clients, with the internet littered with inducements from clinics across the nation.

One firm even advertises helping Australians raid their retirement savings as a service and has partnership deals with dozens of dental clinics for procedures such as root canals, braces and implants.

Financial adviser Dawn Thomas said she was “baffled” by the online advertisements, which present myriad testimonials on web pages that don’t disclose key information about financial risks.

Thomas explained that financial advisers wouldn’t even be allowed to present super withdrawal to clients without telling them in detail the potential to lose tens of thousands in retirement and tax too.

“I’m shocked,” Thomas said of the ads.

“Are they giving financial advice?”

Avenues for accessing superannuation early have existed for years, but are tightly controlled by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and can only be granted under strict compassionate grounds.

That’s because it can have immense financial consequences, as demonstrated during Covid-19 when Australians collectively lost billions in potential savings after the Morrison government unlocked accounts before unveiling taxpayer income support.

Modelling by the Super Members Council (SMC) earlier this year estimated up to $85 billion in potential savings was lost from $38 billion in early super withdrawals under the scheme.

Thomas explained that withdrawing super early is damaging because of compound interest; whereby the money put in super savings grows larger over time thanks to funds reinvesting returns.

“If your money is invested in something for the long term, it doesn’t make sense [to take it out],” Thomas said.

“Present you might have a need, but future you also has needs too, and that’s what superannuation is for.”

Huge tax implications
There are also severe tax implications for accessing super early, with Thomas saying that Australians must fork over up to 22 per cent of the money they plan to withdraw in tax, which could be thousands.

“That’s a hefty amount of tax,” Thomas explained.

Thomas said there are legitimate reasons for early super withdrawal, particularly in cases where Australians face life-threatening medical emergencies or financial situations that could make them worse off if they couldn’t access their super early.

But the inappropriate use of compassionate grounds is likely to make it harder for these people, she said, because the government will respond by making it harder to access it.

The tax office manages that application process and the rules around the release of superannuation and has done so since July 2018.

“Accessing super on compassionate grounds is only available in limited circumstances where individuals are unable to pay for eligible expenses using other means,” a spokesman said.

“Accessing superannuation is not ‘free money’, as it will reduce the amount available in retirement.

“Accordingly, as with any major expense item, it is often useful to get a second opinion or quote.”

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Put Dental Into Medicare And Bulk-Billing
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2024 at 4:28pm

Everyone should be able to go to the dentist when they need help.   Smiley
greens.org.au
Many people put off going to the dentist because they can’t afford it, which doesn’t just mean worse teeth, it can lead to other health problems too.

Everyone should be able to use their Medicare card when they go to the dentist, just like when they go to the doctor. That's why it’s time to get dental into Medicare.   Smiley

Getting dental into Medicare is unfinished business for the Greens. In the 2010 power-sharing Parliament we got dental into Medicare for 3.4 million children and now we want it for everyone else too.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2024 at 9:55pm

Why isn't dentistry included in Medicare?

I have top private health insurance, go to the dentist and periodontist twice a year, have 28 of my teeth, one with a crown. My gap payment is about $30-50 a pop on bills of $2-300 a visit.  I have no tattoos, I don't eat fast food, I do not gamble.

Look at people with bad teeth and they seem to have tats, eating shite food and know their way around poker machines.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2024 at 3:41am

Yeah those pokies will destroy your teeth

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2024 at 5:12am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 3:41am:
Yeah those pokies will destroy your teeth

Spot

they will destroy your financial ability to  take "personal responsibility ' for your teeth though

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2024 at 5:16am

in life there are givers and takers
lifters and leaners
people living in abundance and people in scarcity
hosts and parasites
resilient and fragile
powerful and weak
brave and fretful
confident and timid

the greens are the party that want you to be a taking, leaning, scarce, parasitic, fragile, weak fretful timid victim.

why on earth any man with a modicum of self respect would vibe with their disgraceful message is beyond me

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2024 at 8:31am

aquascoot wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 5:12am:
they will destroy your financial ability to  take "personal responsibility ' for your teeth though

Funny you should say that.

I've just taken "personal responsibility" for my teeth by using my "financial ability" to withdraw another $3,000 from my superannuation pension to pay for the $400 check up and clean (with 2 X-rays) plus $2,500 for the removal of decay under the crown on one of my bottom teeth and having a new crown made and fitted.

I have a 'temporary' crown on there at the moment and the new, permanent one will be fitted this Thursday.

And this, plus the other super lump sum withdrawals I've made during the last 12 months also helps with my "financial ability" to ensure I get the age pension later this year after I turn 67 in August instead of living on my super until I reach 68 or beyond.

aquascoot wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 5:16am:
in life there are givers and takers
lifters and leaners
people living in abundance and people in scarcity
hosts and parasites
resilient and fragile
powerful and weak
brave and fretful
confident and timid

the greens are the party that want you to be a taking, leaning, scarce, parasitic, fragile, weak fretful timid victim.

why on earth any man with a modicum of self respect would vibe with their disgraceful message is beyond me

Blah blah blah blah... no one wants one of your word salads for breakfast today... or any other day for that matter. Thanks.

And, yes... it's way, way past the time for dental to be covered by Medicare.

** Repeat Covid infections exercise our immune system in the same way that repeat concussions exercise our brain **

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2024 at 9:07am

Anyone with half a brain would simply accept that the money spent on available dental would be easily recouped through the associated health costs of the consequences of bad teeth.

But here we are, listening to Horse Boy telling us about leaners.

Frank will be along soon to call him a poet.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Daves2017

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2024 at 9:38am

If you have a health care card dental care is available for free in nsw and Qld ( don’t know about the other states and territories?).

So basically the idea put forward would achieve nothing other than reducing the amount already available for people doing it tough, increase taxes, and be subject to rorts  by dentists who will be delighted to buy another 3 holiday day houses!)

If you want to actually do something worthwhile that worked in the past and is extremely cheap to run, reintroduce dental education in primary school.

This was removed by liberal nsw government and labor Qld government.

A classic stupid decision.

Just as putting dental into Medicare is equally as stupid.

Ffs, you know?

Just brush your teeth properly if you know how!!

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - May 20th, 2024 at 11:11am

Daves2017 wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 9:38am:
If you have a health care card dental care is available for free in nsw and Qld ( don’t know about the other states and territories?).

So basically the idea put forward would achieve nothing other than reducing the amount already available for people doing it tough, increase taxes, and be subject to rorts  by dentists who will be delighted to buy another 3 holiday day houses!)

If you want to actually do something worthwhile that worked in the past and is extremely cheap to run, reintroduce dental education in primary school.

This was removed by liberal nsw government and labor Qld government.

A classic stupid decision.

Just as putting dental into Medicare is equally as stupid.

Ffs, you know?

Just brush your teeth properly if you know how!!

Its free if you wait about 3 years on a waiting list and let students do the work you mean.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - May 20th, 2024 at 11:23am

Putting teeth into Medicare and bulk billing!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2024 at 11:26am

Frank wrote on May 19th, 2024 at 9:55pm:

I have top private health insurance, go to the dentist and periodontist twice a year, have 28 of my teeth, one with a crown. My gap payment is about $30-50 a pop on bills of $2-300 a visit.  I have no tattoos, I don't eat fast food, I do not gamble.

Look at people with bad teeth and they seem to have tats, eating shite food and know their way around poker machines.

What about people with impacted wisdom teeth - lots of tatts too?

What are the millions of people with painful wisdom teeth doing wrong?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2024 at 11:53am

Over $4000 per year for dental was available through Medicare to those with a chronic disease or pensioners.

The Gillard government killed it in 2011.

IP Logged

Daves2017

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2024 at 11:54am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 11:26am:

I'm curious.

There not doing anything wrong.

You actually just described myself!

Cost $325 last Thursday. I valued the service and can’t complain about the price.

It’s called being responsible for yourself rather than believe everyone else in the world needs to take care of you.

Try it yourself, you might enjoy the feeling of independence you will feel rather than begging the government and pleading your a victim  to solve your own problems?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2024 at 12:01pm

Daves2017 wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 11:54am:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 11:26am:

I'm curious.

There not doing anything wrong.

You actually just described myself!

Cost $325 last Thursday. I valued the service and can’t complain about the price.

It’s called being responsible for yourself rather than believe everyone else in the world needs to take care of you.

Try it yourself, you might enjoy the feeling of independence you will feel rather than begging the government and pleading your a victim  to solve your own problems?

I have private health cover and pay for all of my dental/medical expenses.

I've never taken a cent from the government.

However, many are not as fortunate as I am and they should be given access to free or discounted dental care through Medicare.

And yes, I'm willing to pay more in taxes to fund it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print