Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Some alterations to my house (Read 1689 times)
Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Some alterations to my house
Apr 30th, 2024 at 6:00am

To start with—three chimneys will disappear.

Guy who will do this saw the half door with stained/leadlight insert and was gobsmacked. I had bought this from a fave store on the South Coast of Adelaide for $250 and it survived the move to Tassie no probs.

We will remove the stained glass from the rest of the half door and put it in my front door—this faces a little bit west of north so lots of sunlight on the glass.

Be terrific!

None of the chimneys are used—heating is from the honking big Saxon woodburner that has its own flue. Removing the chimney (common flue with the flue from the lounge fireplace insert) from the bedroom will remove the problem of the chimney and wall moving apart, removing the chimney from the lounge will free up a LOT of floorspace! In the kitchen, removing the chimney and the cupboard built onto it will let me —finally— put in a decent workbench with shelving and my spice rack above it.

Need to design a new kitchen with new oven and cooktop plus lots shelf space incl rack to hold my big pans: 5L, 8L, 11L and 15L.

Other work will give me a spacious dining room and a decent bathroom with bath, shower, vanity and WC. Don’t like having the WC in the bathroom but too bad, that is where it will have to go.

The bathroom means I lose my side door so one of the windows in the kitchen will become the backdoor—will need two steps down so some decking and a door into the front of the detached rumpus room will give me a sunny spot sheltered from wind to enjoy some outside air.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2024 at 2:33pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Re: Some alterations to my house
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2024 at 8:54am

The stained glass, propped against the front door. Be even better at say 1.00pm

That glass was a bloody bargain at just $250!

stained_glass.jpeg (236 KB | 5 )
stained_glass.jpeg

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2024 at 9:01am

That is a half door—its twin likely got slammed and the glass broke. I will have a door closer fitted and install a buffer to prevent the door slamming or crashing into the wall.

Nice feature, eh?

The three circles are bull’s eye—where molten glass was poured into a tray to form sheet glass and some sort of stirrer was used to distribute the glass. Left a peak of glass. Unfortunately—the peaks have been destroyed over time, the glass is quite old, over 100 years I would say.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2024 at 9:29pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2024 at 9:53am

Jovial Monk wrote on Apr 30th, 2024 at 8:54am:
The stained glass, propped against the front door. Be even better at say 1.00pm

That glass was a bloody bargain at just $250!

That's a nice example of stained glass.

And yeah, seems like a real bargain for that price.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2024 at 1:10pm

I think I took the guy by surprise. I would have paid whatever he wanted.

REALLY comes into its own when the sun shines on the front of the house midmorning to mid afternoon.

Think I will get the guys to make a new door with that stained glass and then if I have to leave here I can take that with me.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2024 at 12:27pm

This WAS my kitchen chimney:

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2024 at 4:56pm

When I came back from town I could walk from the right hand bedroom into the lounge without using a single door—the fireplace and shared chimney were ALL gone.

Just as well I stopped using the chimney insert—timbers around that chimney just above the ceiling showed scorch marks!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2024 at 6:00pm

Hmm definitely there were problems just short of fire.

The chimneys are gone, new floor boards where there was cement, plaster sheets in place between lounge and study.

I am going to change the porch into a an enclosed verandah cum conservatory knowing that 30°C summer days—
no 40+°C days anymore, happy happy!
—will make a glazed conservatory pretty damn hot!

Can use:

1. External blinds to pull over the glass roof

2. Ventilation using louvre windows low down and up moveable panes of glass high up.

3. Forced ventilation with fans.

4. For winter—a fireplace to keep the conservatory warm-ish.

Could grow a lemon tree in a pot in the verandah/conservatory, start seeds in July for late spring (after last frost) planting out.

Will change the window for floor to ceiling glass + glass sliding door. Want fill to make a solid, thick cement floor in the conservatory. Almost have a passive solar house then!

Connect the glazed-in veranda with a carport—get in and out of the car and house without getting rained on.

When all is done I might pay to get a valuer to revalue the house.

I do have books on conservatories and passive solar houses and passive solar greenhouses.
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2024 at 9:07am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2024 at 6:24pm

Talking to the bloke doing the work right now, lots of conservatories here did not turn out well—just too hot in summer!

“Tassie has a climate like England” well pig’s arse to that! Let us look at some facts.

Latitude of Hobart: about 43°S

Latitude of London, England: about 52°N

So Tassie is much warmer than England.

A place in Australia with horrendous temperatures is Melbum:

Max Temp:

Melbum: Hottest temperature: 46.4 °C (115.5 °F), 7 February 2009
 Hobart: Hottest temperature:  41.8 °C (115.5 °F), 7 February 2009

Melbum: Lowest temperature: 6.5 - 14.2°C
 Hobart:  Lowest temperature: 5 - 12.3°C

I do not live in or near Hobart.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2024 at 6:15pm

Morons who had the house before me (was a rental property for some time) put textured paint on the ceiling of two bedrooms. Sand that back a bit, put new sheets of gyprock and new cornices, get a decent finish.

Going to get some nicer cornices for front passage, lounge and study, the two bedrooms then can get normal cornices not the skimpy wooden crap up there now. Will post some possibilities soon.

The big hole in the wall between lounge and kitchen going to be filled in—kitchen sucks all the warmth out of the lounge. Will build in pantry cupboards, fasten the gyprock in the lounge to the back of the pantry cupboards. A light two-halves door in between lounge and kitchen—people no longer walking over the hearth of the big Saxon woodburner.

Then the built in cupboards and the bathroom will all go—that becomes the dining room. Present passage, WC & laundry becomes a luxury bathroom. Present garden shed becomes the laundry.

When all that is done, might get the place valued.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2024 at 7:33pm

Going to ring some building designers tomorrow—get a decent architectural plan drawn of the house as it is, maybe draw how the dining room and bathroom will fit. Any comments about structural issues be welcome.

Talk about the detached rumpus room and what needs to be done to make it suitable to be rented out for permanent residence. What costs, what income.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2024 at 11:13am

https://www.siniat.com.au/en-au/products-systems/products/cornice/wavelook/

This will be the new cornice in front passage, lounge and study.

A nice profile, not too fancy for the house.

The kitchen and the two bedrooms will just have simple curved cornice.

Couldn’t get too fancy with the cornice—this place is more cottage than mansion. But will look nice. The new cornices and color scheme will make the house look a million dollars.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #12 - May 16th, 2024 at 1:40pm

Wow!

Local plumber pulled up to get some of his stuff out of my garage. Asked him best option for getting rid of the superabundant calcium out of the water.

He will GIVE me a reverse-osmosis system that is attached to his house which he is selling. Installation cost will just be use of my garage for storage.

NEAT eh?
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2024 at 2:04pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2024 at 9:16am

Gap in the wall between lounge and study is 1.6m wide and the height of a door opening. Bit stark.

I am going to grow a lemon tree in a pot. Other side maybe a climbing indoor plant. I would find it hard to grow a lemon tree outside here! Will take time to get that to some size, start it in a 100–200mm pot and move it to progressively bigger pots.

As the website suggests—put the pot on a plant trolley. Will look for a really nice big pot that will be the tree’s final home—terra cotta or other type of pottery—NOT plastic, yuck!

With windows in the eastern (lounge) and northern (study) walls in my house should be enough light except maybe in winter. Temperature should be OK except if I am away in winter for longish periods (longer than away overnight or 2-3 nights.) Cross that hurdle when I come to it.

https://www.pennington.com/all-products/fertilizer/resources/how-to-grow-and-car...

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2024 at 10:23am

Jovial Monk wrote on May 20th, 2024 at 9:16am:
Gap in the wall between lounge and study is 1.6m wide and the height of a door opening. Bit stark.

I am going to grow a lemon tree in a pot. Other side maybe a climbing indoor plant. I would find it hard to grow a lemon tree outside here! Will take time to get that to some size, start it in a 100–200mm pot and move it to progressively bigger pots.

As the website suggests—put the pot on a plant trolley. Will look for a really nice big pot that will be the tree’s final home—terra cotta or other type of pottery—NOT plastic, yuck!

With windows in the eastern (lounge) and northern (study) walls in my house should be enough light except maybe in winter. Temperature should be OK except if I am away in winter for longish periods (longer than away overnight or 2-3 nights.) Cross that hurdle when I come to it.

https://www.pennington.com/all-products/fertilizer/resources/how-to-grow-and-car...

Good idea to use a plant trolley.
I also use a plastic pot inside a terracotta one Smiley
The terracotta dries plants out too much but looks nice

Plants are generally ok with cooler temps

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print