Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Duck hunting season begins in Victoria (Read 1859 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Duck hunting season begins in Victoria
Apr 13th, 2024 at 1:13pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Re: Duck hunting season begins in Victoria
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2024 at 9:54pm

Quote:
Demand for duck hunting licences surges as compulsory shooting tests loom

1 month ago

All publicity is good publicity, an observation that rings true as interest in duck hunting rises in the wake of Victoria’s threats to ban the sport.

Now that a ban has been ruled out by the state government, there appears to be strong demand to sit Waterfowl Identification Tests (WIT), which are compulsory before gaining a waterfowl hunting licence.

Field & Game Australia is running a campaign to have 2500 people sit the WIT this year, and is running subsidised courses at just $10.

The Electrical Trades Union (ETU), which ran a strong campaign against the now-abandoned attempt to ban duck hunting, reports being “inundated” by members who want to take up the sport, and next week it will host a free duck identification training night followed by a WIT at its North Melbourne headquarters (see image above).

The SSAA is running courses at $90 each.

Meanwhile, the Victorian government has confirmed it will implement the Waterfowl Wounding Reduction Action Plan that will mandate shooting tests for bird hunters as part of the licensing process.

The action plan was prepared by a group comprising hunting organisations such as the SSAA and Field & Game, the Victorian Game Management Authority, animal welfare representatives and international consultants on bird hunting.

The tests will require shooters to hit a minimum number of clay targets in a practical test designed to simulate ducks in flight. They may also have to show they can estimate ranges.

Regulations for the testing will be drawn up this year and introduced before the 2025 duck hunting season.

Once the regulations are in place, all new licence applicants will have to pass the proficiency test and existing hunting licence holders will be encouraged to do the test.

A similar test will be implemented for deer hunters in the future.

The change is likely to be a boon for gun clubs, who will not only be encouraged to host the tests but will have the opportunity to provide training prior to tests, earning income and potentially enlisting new members.

“We are delighted that Minister Dimopoulos has committed to finalising and implementing the action plan that provides a clear pathway for hunting to continue while meeting community expectations,” SSAA Victoria’s hunting development manager, David Laird, told The Weekly Times.

https://sportingshooter.com.au/news/demand-for-duck-hunting-licences-surges-as-c...

You can get a semi auto Cat C shotgun for clay target shooting.

If you have a Cat C shotgun for clay target shooting you cannot hunt with it you must buy another Cat B shotgun for hunting.

It looks like practical test will be a boon for clay target shooting clubs.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2024 at 9:55pm

Dnarever is on the run.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2024 at 10:25pm

It is wabbit season all year around.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2024 at 6:15pm

It just might be that an outright ban on duck hunting would be seen as racism, because all but Aboriginal people would be banned.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2024 at 2:35pm

Wabbits are so hard to trap for want of using the illegal methods.
Not even my speargun (untied) got close.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2024 at 9:10am

Back in the day when it was legal to have a silencer we used to set up near a warren and head shoot rabbits [for market] as they came out, they took little notice of their mates falling over.

Silencers are now illegal in Australia but not in NZ or the UK, go figure.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2024 at 8:46am

I ask… why shoot ducks? I’d there a shortage of food in Victoria? Are we going through a famine?
We have a large pond/dam here and wetland birds and ducks galore. Every year we’ve watched them come back to have their little baby ducklings. It’s beautiful nature to watch.
Watching them waddle across our yard in front of house, as mamma and Pappa duck protect their little ones… one parent in front of family … other parent at back keeping an eye out and ready to defend.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 5:20pm

Sophia wrote on Jul 6th, 2024 at 8:46am:
I ask… why shoot ducks? I’d there a shortage of food in Victoria? Are we going through a famine?

People hunt ducks to eat them free range duck is tasty.

There is a bag limit on how many you can take.

The aborigines don't have a duck hunting season they can shoot them all year round.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:31am

Sophia wrote on Jul 6th, 2024 at 8:46am:
We have a large pond/dam here and wetland birds and ducks galore. Every year we’ve watched them come back to have their little baby ducklings. It’s beautiful nature to watch.
Watching them waddle across our yard in front of house, as mamma and Pappa duck protect their little ones… one parent in front of family … other parent at back keeping an eye out and ready to defend.

They taste delicious and hunting is a cultural tradition.
Besides which the more ducks that are taken the less there are to gobble the rice crops in the Riverina.

Ducks and the so-called Wood Ducks are smart; the same ones that come for a handout in the local park will take off at the sight of a human when on a dam out on a farm.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2024 at 5:31pm

Quote:
I ask… why shoot ducks?

Because they taste so good.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 12:24pm

Having worked in the Poultry Industry.
I would put Duck over any form of Chicken, any time when it comes to taste.
Chicken and Turkey = boring taste.
Duck = rich taste.

Plus, who wouldn't want to take a pot-shot at Dnaever on this Forum? Cheesy

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 7:24pm

Quote:
Duck hunting season

Can anyone think of something more cowardly ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 9:09pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 15th, 2024 at 7:24pm:
Quote:
Duck hunting season

Ordering it from the local Chinese takeaway?

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2024 at 1:04pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 15th, 2024 at 7:24pm:
Quote:
Duck hunting season

Yes, letting them breed up and then having them die , by the thousands, of starvation at the next cyclical drought conditions.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print