Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
australian universities want n16gers too now (Read 3032 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: australian universities want n16gers too now
Reply #45 - May 8th, 2024 at 9:24am

Associate Professor Salvatore Babones hit out at the education industry (!) in a scathing interview with news.com.au where he revealed Australia now takes 8% of the world’s international students, and said Nepalese and Indian students were exploiting a rule allowing the spouses of postgraduate students to work.

Mr Babones went on to address claims that education is an “export” which brings in $40 billion a year, saying that in reality Indian and Nepalese students “game the financial requirements” by getting tuition loans, which are then paid off by part-time work and full-time working spouses, meaning the same amount of money then leaves Australia again.

“The scam – and I call it a scam, or a rort – is that universities are allowed in effect to sell work visas".
The Noticer News

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - May 8th, 2024 at 8:32pm

It is essentially a myth that international education is an export industry, notwithstanding its classification by the Australian Bureau of Statistics as such. Indeed, O’Neil has proudly declared “international education is our fourth largest export” and needs to be protected.

Exports are defined as goods and services produced in one country and sold to buyers in another.

With international education, the expectation was that students would convert their foreign currency to pay the fees and living expenses while studying here.

The reality is very different. While some initial fees may be paid from abroad, most international students work while studying to cover their living expenses and further fees.

This is not an export activity. We don’t count the entry of temporary workers as an export.

“That is, someone borrowed money five years ago, put it in a bank account to show they can pay the tuition, pay the tuition out of the bank account, but their work earnings are paying that loan off”, Babones said.

The practice was “absolutely routine” in India and Nepal for students to “game the financial requirements” by getting loans from family or even loan sharks years in advance to secure a visa, according to Prof Babones.

“Those funds are never coming to Australia,” he said.

Salvatore Babones noted similar in his recent book, “Australia’s universities, can they reform”:

In reality, everyone (except perhaps the government and the universities) knew that many international students pay for their courses out of the proceeds of their work in-country, often working excessive hours under exploitative conditions, in violation of their visa terms”.

“This situation is especially common among South Asian students, and is reflected in the steep fall-off in South Asian student numbers when teaching moved online”.

“With prospective students unable to rely on employment income in Australia to support their studies, new commencements of Indian students at Australian higher education providers fell 65% between 2019 and 2021; for Nepali students, the decline was 37%; for Pakistanis, 45%; for Sri Lankans, 54%”.

“These countries are simply too poor to send large cohorts of international students to Australian universities based on family resources alone”.

“For many South Asian students, a student visa is a very expensive but thinly disguised work visa”.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2024/05/the-mask-comes-off-international-studen...

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: universities=centres of spineless hypocrisy
Reply #47 - May 10th, 2024 at 4:37pm

Universities offer course in self-serving cowardice

Today, as our universities’ leaders vacillate between equivocating and cowering, that lack of principle, which was once the exception, has become the rule.

It is, for example, difficult to believe that the University of Melbourne, faced with the threat that a presentation by Professor Tal Shima, an eminent Israeli aeronautical engineer, would be severely disrupted, didn’t warn the thugs that they would be arrested, charged and expelled – it cancelled Shima’s lecture. By capitulating, the university not only set an appalling precedent; it made a mockery of its commitment to the untrammelled pursuit of scientific excellence.

Nor is it much comfort that the universities can be tough when they want to be, for their outrage is a case of being strong with the weak and weak with the strong. The University of Queensland savaged Drew Pavlou for misconduct that pales compared to the behaviour our academic institutions routinely accept from pro-Palestinian militants. Equally, James Cook University sacked Professor Peter Ridd for breaches of confidentiality that fall far short of the “doxxing” of Jewish academics that, at least so far, has been brushed off with barely a murmur by the University of Sydney.

Hailed by Mussolini as “the fighters who have encouraged the reluctant, castigated the pusillanimous and forced governments to surrender”, it was those students’ tactics of occupying university premises, disrupting university life and vilifying, harassing and intimidating opponents what Theodore Adorno, the father of Critical Theory, and his Frankfurt School colleagues had in mind when they called the student protesters in 1968 “red fascists”.

That those “red fascists” now pullulate on our campuses is hardly surprising.

Henry Ergas
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2024 at 4:44pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - May 21st, 2024 at 7:34am

Wiley's 'fake science' scandal is just the latest chapter in a broader crisis of trust universities must address

The universities present a formidable lobby in Canberra, however, and have vociferously fought other attempts at regulation, including on questions of tertiary education standards and even the safety of their students on campus.

They have adopted a Wall Street-style approach to their missions, paying exorbitant salaries to their leaders and gunning for eye-watering surpluses. They are interested principally in the protection of their global rankings, to which they tie their prospects of attracting future fee-payers.

The problem is only becoming more urgent. The recent explosion of artificial intelligence raises the stakes even further. A researcher at University College London recently found more than 1 per cent of all scientific articles published last year, some 60,000 papers, were likely written by a computer.

In some sectors, it's worse. Almost one out of every five computer science papers published in the past four years may not have been written by humans.
https://amp.abc.net.au/article/103868662

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - May 22nd, 2024 at 12:07pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 23rd, 2023 at 7:29pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 23rd, 2023 at 6:19pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2023 at 1:11pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 23rd, 2023 at 11:35am:
freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2023 at 11:23am:
Would you rather drive to KFC?

It is hardly the point of a higher education policy to have food home delivered.

Are you concerned for their grades?

Would you use a doctor who got his degree online?

Grades- absolutely.

Doctors - Australian medical education is probably the last bastion of no-compromise. ]

Unless you're a  .........

https://www.sydney.edu.au/study/applying/admission-pathways/aboriginal-and-torre...

https://i.ibb.co/p3W5sNf/Screenshot-20231223-202411-Chrome-copy-1064x2190.jpg

Scandalous dumbing down racial discrimination.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #50 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 8:48pm

Frank wrote on Dec 23rd, 2023 at 10:25am:
African countries are poor, education quality is low, corruption is everywhere.

African students who could afford full Australian fees would come from families of corrupt government officials or businesses who make their wealth from ruthless and corrupt exploitation of other Africans. No honest African family can spare $50-60k p.a. for 3-4 years to send a child to an Australian university.
Most Australian families couldn't.

Africa has about 1.4 billion people on the continent ranging from all ethnicities. Australia has about 2 million millionaires out of the 26 million people here -- 11% of the adult population. Even if 0.1% of Africans are millionaires, they can afford to send 1.4 million students overseas. Australia is one place that is crying out for university students. Trust me, I know. I went to university in 1997, and the place was crowded with students. I am doing a university course now, and every time I go out there for a practical class or even for those student get together, there are about 1/4 of the number of students I see now compared to 1997.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #51 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 9:04pm

Now in its 9th edition, the annual report reveals that there are currently 135,200 high-net-worth individuals (HNWIs) with liquid investable wealth of USD 1 million or more living in Africa, along with 342 centi-millionaires worth USD 100 million or more, and 21 dollar billionaires.

a huge % of these 'african' milllionaires will be white south africans, egyptians, arabs and indians living in africa, not jungle bunnies

the ceo of botswana's biggest supermarket is indian

virtually all will send their kids to a u.s or british university if they study abroad

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2024 at 9:09pm by JC Denton »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #52 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:08pm

Last time I looked at an Atlas, Egypt was in Africa, just as South Africa was.  Many Indians live in Africa as do many Chinese.  Guess what they all call themselves?  African.  Funny that, hey.  Your Racism is showing quite brightly there.  Tsk, tsk, tsk...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #53 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:22pm

Many Africans in Australia are white South Africans and Zimbabweans fleeing racial discrimination. I have met a Zimbabwean who did not hold back his feelings about the situation in Zimbabwe.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:29pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:08pm:
Last time I looked at an Atlas, Egypt was in Africa, just as South Africa was.  Many Indians live in Africa as do many Chinese.  Guess what they all call themselves?  African.  Funny that, hey.  Your Racism is showing quite brightly there.  Tsk, tsk, tsk...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You are an ignorant idiot of rare occurrence.

Ghandi lived in Africa for 2 decades. He was never an African.

You multiculti morons hide behind your total ignorance of all cultures, including your own. Your ignorant stupidity is your unbreakable shield.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:47pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:08pm:

you knucklehead north africans and egyptians are caucasoid, they are not 'african' in the sense that we all know that word to mean, including you (maybe) if you weren't deliberately playing stupid

they certainly don't seem to think so either

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadat_(miniseries)

Quote:
The film was negatively received in Egypt and was accused there of distorting history and slandering the Egyptian people, and was also criticized for the casting of a black actor, Lou Gossett, Jr., as Sadat.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #56 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:49pm

North Africans look more like Middle Eastern people than Caucasian.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #57 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:49pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:49pm:

i said caucasoid not caucasian

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #58 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:50pm

JC Denton wrote on Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:49pm:

Basically the same meaning.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:54pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:50pm:
JC Denton wrote on Jun 1st, 2024 at 10:49pm:

Basically the same meaning.

no

in classical human taxonomy caucasian is the european sub branch of caucasoid, which roughly equates to what we would (in more modern parlance) refer to as the human population cluster of west-eurasians, which includes both europeans and middle eastern north africans

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print