freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
the wrong referendum
Apr 8th, 2023 at 9:22am

The Wrong Referendum

https://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/wrong-referendum.html

This year, Australians will go to the polls to have their say on the wrong referendum.

On the one hand, the aboriginal voice to parliament is a racist, meaningless, populist gesture straight from the Chinese Communist Party playbook.

On the other hand, the major parties have, over the past few decades, broken a convention that has been followed since 1948 for allocating 6 and 3 year senate terms after a double dissolution election. By introducing new legislation for counting votes, and repeatedly breaking promises regarding how these terms would be allocated, the major parties have opened the door to whichever group controls the senate effectively stealing additional senate seats for themselves. This has affected the outcome of two federal elections and consequently the type of legislation that has been allowed to pass through parliament.

Although an agreed convention ought to work for allocating long and short term senate seats, the repeated broken promises mean that the only way to fix the problem is via a referendum that dictates the seat allocation. Unfortunately, despite previously showing strong support for, and universal agreement on the method, the major parties are no longer willing to even acknowledge there is a problem to be fixed, because to do so is to acknowledge their own lies to the Australian people.

Back to the voice to parliament. It is, at its core, racist. You may be tempted to dismiss this as some kind of benign racism, just as you might be tempted to dismiss whatever form the voice takes a benign dictatorship, but it is far more insidious. It is an attempt to rebrand racism as a social good and a means to solve genuine and significant problems, particularly in remote aboriginal communities. It does this by providing a facade of progress that will, maybe for a decade or two, let people think we are fixing these problems. Further, it will continue the ultimate cause of these problems. The aboriginal culture that we as a society are suddenly so keen to protect is not the tradition culture of pre-colonisation aboriginal society. Instead, it is a new culture that has been crafted through generations of learned helplessness. By stealing aboriginal wages and giving them whatever we deem necessary, we have taught aborigines in our regional communities that there is no point trying to work hard to better their lives, and that they should look to white authority figures for a handout. This has been watered down in recent decades into various forms of welfare and the soft bigotry of low expectations. Even more recently, we have been teaching aborigines to turn this history of oppression into blind racism, which always comes with some kind of handout.

Rest of article: https://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/wrong-referendum.html

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: the wrong referendum
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 9:27am

Wrongly based - recognition as *first settlers is not in the same category as handing a special rig ht... this cannot pass.

The desperation of the yay-sayers in trying to pull out all stops shows the true weakness of their case... if it were a strong case, they need only state it clearly (LMAO) and wait for the willing to vote it in.  That they are so nervous that they feel the need to push and push - and at a time when the claim is that most Australians support this idiocy - and to revert to petty name-calling and desperately crying out for allies - clearly shows they are very uncertain of their case and of the actual numbers allegedly supporting it.

* don't you just love that 'first settlers'?  Chews 'em a big ole asshole, eh?  Right through the bulls-eye at 3000 yards....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 12:06pm

freediver wrote on Apr 8th, 2023 at 9:22am:
The aboriginal culture that we as a society are suddenly so keen to protect is not the tradition culture of pre-colonisation aboriginal society. Instead, it is a new culture that has been crafted through generations of learned helplessness.

Misrepresentation: it is a new culture struggling with annihilation and dispossession, and generations of learned welfare dependency.

Quote:
By stealing aboriginal wages and giving them whatever we deem necessary,

WTF does this mean? Surely just a sneaky attempt to deny the fact welfare dependency is forced onto people, NOT sought by them. 

Quote:
we have taught aborigines in our regional communities that there is no point trying to work hard to better their lives, and that they should look to white authority figures for a handout.

That's what the imposition of welfare dependency is. 

Quote:
This has been watered down in recent decades into various forms of welfare and the soft bigotry of low expectations. Even more recently, we have been teaching aborigines to turn this history of oppression into blind racism, which always comes with some kind of handout.

A handout? Enforced welfare dependency resulting in the egregious gap statistics....

Quote:

I've already refuted enough of it...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:08pm

Quote:
WTF does this mean? Surely just a sneaky attempt to deny the fact welfare dependency is forced onto people, NOT sought by them.

It means you should come to Australia before trying to tell us about our own country.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:15pm

Australia: Populated by Indigenous Aborigines...
...then British Cops and Robbers, then American Free Settler Colonialists with a right to own a gun and shoot Boongs, then every other peoples from around the world.

There is really no 'official' thing as an Australian.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:20pm

Hi FD,
there are many reasons to say No to the referendum -
I make a good point here:

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1680817653/0

If we give the Abbos an inch they take a mile -
that's what happened with Ayers Rock and
also happened in NZ with Mt Eden thanks to the Maoris.

The words - "the Voice" are designed as a small target so
that Labor can get away with lack of scrutiny because it's the fine print
that they know they can't argue their way out of.
In this case however - there is no fine print - it's a blank cheque
which will lead to dozens of high court challenges as "the Voice" could mean anything.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:21pm

A "Yes" vote will make the non-inidenous voter feel at least moral cleansed of the perceived injustice their existence in Australia creates for them. Never mind any good that ever came out of the Commonwealth.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:26pm

The YES Vote will allow Blacks to take more MONEY from Whites in Australia.

...while Blacks get to take more SEX from Whites in America.

And you call them primitive? Huh Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:34pm

Jasin wrote on Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:26pm:
The YES Vote will allow Blacks to take more MONEY from Whites in Australia.

...while Blacks get to take more SEX from Whites in America.

And you call them primitive? Huh Grin

Remember Redfern in Sydney?

The Abbos got almost free state housing there -

how did they thank us?
they smashed the houses to pieces -
with holes in every wall until they all had to be bulldozed.
You can't help Abbos - no matter how much money you spend on them -
they are dying out - they will be extinct in 100 years.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 3:26pm

freediver wrote on Apr 8th, 2023 at 1:08pm:
Quote:

It means you should come to Australia before trying to tell us about our own country.

So you deny the obvious fact welfare dependency is forced onto people, not 'chosen' by them?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 3:45pm

thegreatdivide wrote on Apr 8th, 2023 at 3:26pm:
Quote:

So you deny the obvious fact welfare dependency is forced onto people, not 'chosen' by them?

I actually agree with you, at least in this context. You would realise this if you would stop parroting CCP propaganda long enough to read what you are responding to.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 4:52pm

freediver wrote on Apr 8th, 2023 at 3:45pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on Apr 8th, 2023 at 3:26pm:
Quote:

I actually agree with you, at least in this context. You would realise this if you would stop parroting CCP propaganda long enough to read what you are responding to.

Actually the CCP doesn't believe in welfare, that's why they send government agents out to the most remote villages, to examine the opportunities the locals can develop to engage in above-poverty, productive employment, as well as funding the necessary public infrastructure.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 5:10pm

I have seen you try to change dozens of different threads to this same topic. I have had the identical argument with you several times about it. It is boring and irritating. You don't live in this country. You know nothing at all about it. You even thought we were in the USA for a while. But you keep trying to tell us what it is really like here.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 5:25pm

freediver wrote on Apr 8th, 2023 at 5:10pm:
I have seen you try to change dozens of different threads to this same topic. I have had the identical argument with you several times about it. It is boring and irritating. You don't live in this country. You know nothing at all about it. You even thought we were in the USA for a while. But you keep trying to tell us what it is really like here.

What's that got to do with repudiating this:

"Actually the CCP doesn't believe in welfare, that's why they send government agents out to the most remote villages, to examine the opportunities the locals can develop to engage in above-poverty, productive employment, as well as funding the necessary public infrastructure."

The "wrong (- or right!) referendum" IS about the gap, which IS about welfare dependency.

Not my fault your poor simplicity-loving RW brain can't connect the dots....

btw you are in danger of appearing as silly as Lisa with her multi ID conspiracies; you have no idea where I live (hint: it's in none of the places you have suggested so far). 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Apr 8th, 2023 at 5:39pm

Ah, my bad. I keep forgetting that every topic is in fact about your idiotic CCP propaganda.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print