Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll closed Poll
Question: Will the referendum be voted in?
*** This poll has now closed ***

No    
  42 (75.0%)
Yes    
  14 (25.0%)

Total votes: 56
« Last Modified by: Redmond Neck on: Feb 25th, 2023 at 11:17am »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 298
Send Topic Print
The Aboriginal Voice referendum (Read 86465 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Aboriginal Voice referendum
Oct 3rd, 2022 at 6:27pm

Some recent events in Melbourne and in the Federal Court have shown us what is in store for us if the Aboriginal Voice is implemented.
First, poor Daniel Andrews. He must feel that the whole world is against him. All he did was announce that his government will massively expand the Maroondah hospital in Melbourne and rename it the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, as a suitable monument to mark the reign of our late Queen. It was therefore a proposal that he would do something worthy and decent and undoubtedly within the proper role of an elected government. But now, he has been set upon by the entire left-wing establishment who have demanded that the re-naming of the hospital be abandoned and that it keep its present name of Maroondah, which is a perfectly good Aboriginal word meaning ‘throwing leaves’. And the proposed new name has sent the Left and its camp followers into a frenzy. For them, to rename the Maroondah Hospital after the monarch is an endorsement of colonialism, imperialism, racism and all the other horrors that allegedly come with our history and our present system of government. No Aboriginal, it is said, would feel safe going into a hospital with such a name.

In one sense it serves Andrews right that he is in such trouble. He was trying to capitalise on the upsurge of sentiment and sympathy for the monarchy and the outburst of love and respect for the Queen. He was trading on this development and bathing in its reflected glory when, suddenly, the whole issue rose up from nowhere, turned on him and has given him an almighty kick in the backside. He is now under siege from his own cabinet and party, the wider Left and their hangers-on, and the sycophantic media, all of whom have told him to revoke his decision. If he does, the Left will claim it as a great victory and manoeuvre for more such victories; he will then be putty in their hands and lose all authority. If he sticks with the decision, he will galvanise the entire left-wing apparatus against him and, with the state election only three months away, anything could happen. So, perhaps it serves him right. Let him squirm!

But far more significant than Mr Andrews’ travails and embarrassment is the fact that the whole issue shows us what life would be like if the Voice were put into our constitution, passed by legislation and set to work. It will intimidate elected governments until it gets it own way.

And, to complete the equation, we have the second significant event of last week, which can only increase the likelihood that the Voice will not just be a debating society, but will exercise real power to change the decisions of elected state and federal governments.

That is because a federal court judge has just handed down his decision in the Santos Barossa case. Albanese has said many times that litigation will not be able to change government policy. But the court has decided, even without the Voice to back it up, that the giant, $3 billion Barossa gas field cannot go ahead because Santos, according to the judge, did not adequately consult with those who have ‘spiritual connections’ and hunting and gathering rights over the ‘sea country’ of the Timor Sea. If litigation can stop a major project of this size and importance, even without the Voice, how much more ferocious will the litigation war become with the Voice in full flight as it moves to stop major developments. How many projects like Barossa will be stopped when the Voice starts baying for blood?
https://spectator.com.au/2022/10/brown-study-256/

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: The Aboriginal Voice referendum
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 6:52pm

I've explained how these things like this 'voice' suffer 'mission creep' - starting out as a vague but toothless 'advisory body', then being seen to not achieve its desired results (again - those things not mentioned in the hustings trying to get it up and never the aim of any advisory body) and will be promoted... then when that does not 'achieve the desired results' - whatever those are and again not the place of any advisory body - the government will create of it a mandatory body that will have real power and influence.

That last is the game plan all along, people - and if you want to buy into it, go ahead, but I TOLD YOU SO!

Anyone who thinks that LNP will put a stop to that process is dreaming...... they have enough sympathetic souls in their own ranks to this nonsense already, and any future government that says 'ENOUGH!' to this developing big lie will be howled down and intimidated .... let alone any governent that tries to reverse it.

Best not to have it at all... though I wouldn't trust Albo not to create it anyway via 'legislation', without the consent of the people.  All politicians are, at heart, petty backyard fascists with a total belief in their own righteousness and right to impose what is 'best' on the people at their whim.

They are the greatest dangers to national security and stability, and governments have caused more death and suffering for their own people than any other group in history, and Australia has not been immune from that over the past forty years or so, a process that is getting worse as we go along.

Countless governments of every kind here have imposed on their own people without remorse of thought for the often very real pain they have created in doing so, and this idea will turn out to be just another agony pushed on the ordinary folk for stupid ideologiical purposes.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 6:12am

VOTE NO !!

One cant even turn on the radio news without some crap being added about being on some abbo land. Its whiteys land imo since the first fleet arrived.

Couldnt even watch the NRL grand final without some cooon addressing the crowd before kick off.

NAH !! Enough is enough!

YEP STOP THE COON CREEP NOW !

Angry Angry Angry

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2022 at 6:33am by Redmond Neck »  

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 10:22am

VOTE NO !!   x 2

I see many leaders/spokesmen in national Aboriginal communities today, working very hard to present all Aboriginals as 'victims'.   ....e.g.
"Australian Wars"
playing on SBS tv atm.

If a person embraces a [false/imposed] 'victimhood' mentality upon themself, imo, that is a very, very unhealthy place to be, mentally.

1/    If you give [only] 'propertied' citizens** the right to vote for law makers, sensible national laws will emerge.
[** ...which are principally those individuals with an interest in social stability and national/community wealth creation.
Some of us older folk remember the term,
THE COMMONWEALTH OF AUSTRALIA
.      It was a time when Australia, was, the real Australia, imo.]

2/    If you give voting rights to a majority of citizens [within any wealthy nation] whose primary aim in life is to pursue dissolute habits, those voters will vote for any scoundrel who will promise to make their lives 'easier'.
And the elected lawmakers who are elected will proceed to make laws [pursue government policies] which will bankrupt the national treasury.
[The term 'bread and circuses' comes to mind.  e.g. NOT Singapore.    Being new form of a 'COMMONWEALTH' state ? ]

dissolute = = overindulgent in sensual pleasures.

A wasters son asks his dad, "Dad, what's democracy?"
"Well, son, that's when honest hard working folk work to improve themselves, and we get all the benefits from it!"
"But dad, aren't the honest hard working folk pissed off about it?"
"Sure they are, but that's what we call democracy with 'liberalism'."
- ?

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
- ?

"Remember, democracy never lasts long.
It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself.
There was never a democracy yet that didn't commit suicide."
- John Adams - USA President, 1797-1801

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury.
From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.
The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.
- Alexander Fraser Tytler

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 12:04pm

Racism.  Boring.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 8:27pm

Sorry, dear boy, did you just say "us"?

To whom do you refer? Local Paki Khunts, unflushable tjurds, eye-rolling bints, or foreign subjects of Margrethe II?

Please explain?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 9:16pm

And, to complete the equation, we have the second significant event of last week, which can only increase the likelihood that the Voice will not just be a debating society, but will exercise real power to change the decisions of elected state and federal governments.

That is because a federal court judge has just handed down his decision in the Santos Barossa case. Albanese has said many times that litigation will not be able to change government policy. But the court has decided, even without the Voice to back it up, that the giant, $3 billion Barossa gas field cannot go ahead because Santos, according to the judge, did not adequately consult with those who have ‘spiritual connections’ and hunting and gathering rights over the ‘sea country’ of the Timor Sea. If litigation can stop a major project of this size and importance, even without the Voice, how much more ferocious will the litigation war become with the Voice in full flight as it moves to stop major developments. How many projects like Barossa will be stopped when the Voice starts baying for blood?

To show us how this will happen, let us return to the ‘throwing leaves’ among the sylvan groves of Maroondah, but imagining a time when the Voice is fully operational. The elected government decides to double the size of the Maroondah Hospital to cater for the vastly expanded population and to rename it the Queen Elizabeth II.

The Voice will have control, so Albanese  has told us, of ‘matters relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’. Clearly, extending a hospital, part of the public health activities of the government, and giving it a name that is said to make Aboriginals feel unsafe, is a matter relating to Aboriginals. A cavalcade of organisations and individuals have told us so.  Accordingly, the Voice has the right to object to it and to advise the state government to reverse its policy, which Andrews is now being told. The government considers the whole thing all over again and decides to proceed with the re-naming. The Voice could not fail to be emboldened by the obvious willingness of the federal court to do as it did in the Santos Barossa case and set aside a government decision because there was  inadequate consultation with Aboriginal interests. Nor could the Voice fail to be emboldened by the willingness of the High Court to find that Aboriginals are not subject to the regular law because they are Aboriginals and above the regular law. The matter goes through the courts which have no difficulty in finding that the government did not consult properly or fully with the local ‘Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’. Moreover, the court will say that the Voice has immense and powerful standing because it was passed at a referendum and the decision to re-name the hospital should therefore be set aside. That clearly is what will happen because it is what is intended to happen.

Will this be the end of democracy? No, but it will be a fundamental and immense upheaval to our democratic system of government as competing interests are locked in litigation over every decision of significance and race will determine how those decisions are resolved. Is that what we really want for Australia? I hope not.
https://www.spectator.com.au/2022/10/brown-study-256/

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 8:51am

Poll added.

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:27am

Thanks Frank. We needed another thread on this. The pre-existing half dozen weren't enough.

Now you can all repeat yourselves again! For pages and pages!

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:30am

mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:27am:
Thanks Frank. We needed another thread on this. The pre-existing half dozen weren't enough.

As you are.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:33am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:30am:

As you are.

What a ridiculous and churlish thing to say.

Seriously, ask yourself, what was the point of that?

Because i've clearly not repeated myself. I've not said anything on the topic at all.

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:34am

mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:33am:

As you are.

Because i've clearly not repeated myself. I've not said anything on the topic at all.

You didn't need to vent on this thread, as you repeatedly do.

But you did.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:41am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:34am:

As you are.

But you did.

Still butt-hurt i see?

Never mind. I'm sure you've impressed one or two of the residents in your defiance. That'll do you, eh?

IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:44am

mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:41am:

As you are.

But you did.

Still butt-hurt i see?

Never mind. I'm sure you've impressed one or two of the residents in your defiance. That'll do you, eh?

So now that's 3 posts you've added to this 'unnecessary' thread.

Will you extend your projection for pages and pages?

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 10:01am

MeisterEckhart wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:44am:
mothra wrote on Oct 5th, 2022 at 9:41am:

As you are.

But you did.

Still butt-hurt i see?

So now that's 3 posts you've added to this 'unnecessary' thread.

Will you extend your projection for pages and pages?

Nah. I'll leave that for you. We've already established that both your diagnostic skills and understanding of pathologies is wanting ... but you persevere.

Day in and out. Telling everyone what they are.

Carry on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 298
Send Topic Print