Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
China intimidates Australia (Read 2863 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: China intimidates Australia
Reply #60 - May 18th, 2024 at 3:21pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 18th, 2024 at 2:43pm:
freediver wrote on May 18th, 2024 at 8:51am:
Why is it such a bad thing if the Chinese government subsidises our electricity for us?

Very perspicacious of you.

So much so - I'm guessing you are being sarcastic....

No. I actually think we should take advantage of it. Let the Chinese peasants work for 50c a day making solar panels and EVs for us. It won't last forever. Unless the CCP does another great leap forward.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #61 - May 18th, 2024 at 4:28pm

freediver wrote on May 18th, 2024 at 3:21pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on May 18th, 2024 at 2:43pm:
freediver wrote on May 18th, 2024 at 8:51am:
Why is it such a bad thing if the Chinese government subsidises our electricity for us?

Very perspicacious of you.

So much so - I'm guessing you are being sarcastic....

No. I actually think we should take advantage of it. Let the Chinese peasants work for 50c a day making solar panels and EVs for us. It won't last forever. Unless the CCP does another great leap forward.

The small question of employment for our own people remains - see Frank's posts #54 and #56. 

Actually the productive capacity of China is now so huge, the government can subsidize consumption by low income groups, creating the world's largest virtual middle class of over a billion people in China. The government  just haven't woken up yet how to use that vast productive capacity for China's benefit, now that the West is complaining about competition from Chinese exports.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #62 - May 18th, 2024 at 8:42pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 18th, 2024 at 4:28pm:
Actually the productive capacity of China is now so huge, the government can subsidize consumption by low income groups,

Are you hoping they will get as fat as the Americans? This is just the sort of thinking that will drag them back to the Mao era. You can already see it happening.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #63 - May 19th, 2024 at 12:18pm

freediver wrote on May 18th, 2024 at 8:42pm:
Actually the productive capacity of China is now so huge, the government can subsidize consumption by low income groups,

Are you hoping they will get as fat as the Americans? This is just the sort of thinking that will drag them back to the Mao era. You can already see it happening.

Good point.  By consumption   I mean healthy consumption from the point of view of both the public and private sectors, including provision of services and infrastructure which improves peoples' lives.

eg subsidized rents: China can build - has built -  as many good housing units as required to house everyone, including low income groups,  but the private sector has stuffed up because people can't afford to buy the houses built in the private-sector 'housing as investment' scheme for private wealth creation by rent-seekers - hence Evergrande's collapse. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - May 19th, 2024 at 1:43pm

thegreatdivide wrote on May 19th, 2024 at 12:18pm:

Good point.  By consumption   I mean healthy consumption from the point of view of both the public and private sectors, including provision of services and infrastructure which improves peoples' lives.

eg subsidized rents: China can build - has built -  as many good housing units as required to house everyone, including low income groups,  but the private sector has stuffed up because people can't afford to buy the houses built in the private-sector 'housing as investment' scheme for private wealth creation by rent-seekers - hence Evergrande's collapse.  

Ah. Subsidise healthy consumption. Is there any aspect of people's lives the CCP doesn't want to control?

From what I heard the CCP built way too many, though not necessarily of "good" quality. They have dozens of ghost cities. Brand new cities with no-one in them. The CCP is trying to do to the housing industry what they did to the farming industry during the Great Chinese Famine. It is mind boggling how the CCP is allowed to repeat the same moronic mistakes over and over again.

But just keep parroting their propaganda for them. Just ignore those empty cities, ignore the tens of millions of dead people, but if a private company collapses and investors lose money, it proves the failure of capitalism.

IP Logged

thegreatdivide
Gold Member

Australian Politics<br
/>

Reply #65 - May 19th, 2024 at 2:41pm

freediver wrote on May 19th, 2024 at 1:43pm:
thegreatdivide wrote on May 19th, 2024 at 12:18pm:

Ah. Subsidise healthy consumption. Is there any aspect of people's lives the CCP doesn't want to control?

Haha- see how the ideologically blind FD turns quality consumption - to eliminate poverty - to "control" by the CCP; it's actually my presciption for sustainable prosperity, though the CCP is taking small steps in this direction.

Quote:
From what I heard the CCP built way too many, though not necessarily of "good" quality. They have dozens of ghost cities. Brand new cities with no-one in them. The CCP is trying to do to the housing industry what they did to the farming industry during the Great Chinese Famine. It is mind boggling how the CCP is allowed to repeat the same moronic mistakes over and over again.

What you heard is wrong. The private sector built more houses than could be bought by the public, in a 'housing for investment' frenzy. 

Fortunately, some local governments are now buying these unsold houses, to let for affordable rents.

Quote:
But just keep parroting their propaganda for them. Just ignore those empty cities, ignore the tens of millions of dead people, but if a private company collapses and investors lose money, it proves the failure of capitalism.

Corrected above ; the free market is subject to failure.    Affordability of housing for low income groups is the problem.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Jul 24th, 2024 at 6:06pm

ABC, 2 weeks ago

The Australian dollar is showing some strength, and that could be good news for travellers
By business reporter David Taylor
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2024 at 5:00amWednesday 10 Jul 2024 at 5:00am, updated Wed 10 Jul 2024 at 10:10am

Reality now
The Australian dollar fell in its longest stretch of losses in almost a year as concerns about China’s economic recovery continue to weigh on the currency and commodity prices.

The local currency dropped for its seventh consecutive session on Tuesday to trade at US66.30¢, its lowest level since June 17. That’s down more than 2 per cent from a peak of US67.84¢ just over a week ago after the Chinese Communist Party’s Third Plenum policy meeting left markets disappointed.

China is going the way Japan did in the 1990s.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print