Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Science gone Mad. (Read 2507 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Science gone Mad.
Apr 12th, 2019 at 7:30am

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/sperm-donor-laws-must-change-after-...

Gamete donation, or the donation of sperm and eggs to fertility clinics, gives infertile couples and single parents the opportunity to conceive a child.

Tens of thousands of children have been conceived in Australia over the past four decades via donated sperm and eggs. Yet donor conception is vastly more complex than the images of happy parents and little bundles of joy that IVF clinics use to advertise.
Things get complicated when, for example, the same sperm donor fathers 48 children, which is exactly what happened in a fertility clinic in Brisbane over the past fifteen years, according to The Courier-Mail.

A blue eyed Aussie surfer, only identified by a serial number, repeatedly donated sperm at the same clinic over a period of several years where his samples were used by almost 50 women.

Years later, some of the donor’s biological children met by accident at a daycare facility, only to discover that they are diblings (donor conceived siblings).

The women who used the man’s sperm have expressed their “shock” at discovering that other children in their neighbourhood are biological half-siblings of their own kids.

It’s hard to imagine how the kids themselves would have reacted to discovering a “dibling” in the playground. Presumably, they were confused and, perhaps, distressed.

Things get even more complicated when you consider the potential adult ramifications. Some experts have warned that these children may unwittingly enter into a romantic relationship with a brother or sister unknowingly, particularly as there is such a large concentration of children from the same donor within the one geographical area.

To some extent, though, these speculations are irrelevant. It’s important that we realise the difficulties that these kids face.

RELATED: Sperm donor in Australia to father more children

Donor conceived children often struggle to come to terms with the fact that they were conceived using sperm or eggs from someone they have never met — and may never get the chance to meet. Often, they were conceived before the practice of anonymous donation was abolished, and so have no prospect of ever learning who their donor parent is. Just like children who are adopted, many donor children experience a sense of fractured identity as a result of not knowing the identity of their biological parent(s).

And while evidence suggests that donor-conceived kids are as psychologically healthy as children conceived by natural means, there is an undeniable desire felt by many to know their heritage.

Parents must also decide when and if to tell their children that they were conceived using donated gametes. The internet is awash with testimonies of children who presumed they were biologically related to the people they called “mum” or “dad” for years, only to find out that their biological mother or father was a gamete donor. One British man told the BBC recently that he felt that his “entire existence was a lie” after he found out by accident in conversation at age 22 that he was donor conceived.

RELATED: What it’s really like to be an egg donor

Some parents are afraid to tell their children because of fear of the psychological impact it might have on them. Others just don’t believe they have a duty to tell their kids.

To avoid anything like the Brisbane case ever occurring again in the future, there needs to be closer scrutiny of fertility clinics to limit the number of children whom one donor can father. Kids who are donor conceived also deserve the liberty of knowing how they were born and who their parents really are.

Regulation of gamete donation in Australia could be described as inconsistent at best. Sperm donors have been restricted to 10 women in Victoria and South Australia, and only five in NSW. Yet there is no law in Queensland that determines a limit.

its a TIME BOMB

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Science gone Mad.
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 8:53am

Quote:
Years later, some of the donor’s biological children met by accident at a daycare facility, only to discover that they are diblings (donor conceived siblings).

The women who used the man’s sperm have expressed their “shock” at discovering that other children in their neighbourhood are biological half-siblings of their own kids

Wonder how they found out ?

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 12:41pm

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 2:21pm

I'm still curious to learn how they discovered they shared the same donor

did they look astonishingly alike?

had their parents told them -- at pre-school age -- that they were sired courtesy of a donor and had the parents told them the donor's name?

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 2:36pm

There have been numerous cases of people entering relationships who were both conceived by IVF, only to later find out that they were half siblings.

While I don't have issues with closely related consenting adults entering relationships, I do have an issue when they decide to have children together. The risk of the child being born with a deformity is far greater than a couple who are not at all related.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 2:45pm

PZ547 wrote on Apr 12th, 2019 at 2:21pm:

had their parents told them -- at pre-school age -- that they were sired courtesy of a donor and had the parents told them the donor's name?

some of those who use ivf   join little groups...its a way of getting information when you are unable to have children........

at the end of the day it could be by sheer coincidence...

the laws have changed regarding knowing about " sperm donors".I dont know how it works...but in the past a child had no way to find out who their sperm donor was.....I dont even know if they are called biological parent..

anyway it would only take a couple of persons to decide to find out  do the test   and   oooops......its all over the web...

48 children   is a bit much for one bloke to sire..... if it was meant to be that way I am sure god would have thought of it first....

somewhere someone is making a fortune   and its wrong wrong wrong...

at least an egg can only be used once.. and if its frozen  has to have permission to be used if the owner doesnt want them......

god only knows what these institutes can do...

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 3:53pm

Think that's weird? Just wait until they start sewing gay heads onto the bodies of dead women.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 4:31pm

cods wrote on Apr 12th, 2019 at 2:45pm:
PZ547 wrote on Apr 12th, 2019 at 2:21pm:

some of those who use ivf   join little groups...its a way of getting information when you are unable to have children........

at the end of the day it could be by sheer coincidence...

the laws have changed regarding knowing about " sperm donors".I dont know how it works...but in the past a child had no way to find out who their sperm donor was.....I dont even know if they are called biological parent..

anyway it would only take a couple of persons to decide to find out  do the test   and   oooops......its all over the web...

48 children   is a bit much for one bloke to sire..... if it was meant to be that way I am sure god would have thought of it first....

somewhere someone is making a fortune   and its wrong wrong wrong...

at least an egg can only be used once.. and if its frozen  has to have permission to be used if the owner doesnt want them......

god only knows what these institutes can do...

Thanks Cods.  I didn't know about the groups but guess they'd exist, especially on FB

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 6:34pm

Science's version of 'arranged marriages', is 'arranged breeding'.

Will they be building a Super Race soon?
I mean - those 'Ancestry' adverts are sure showing up a lot lately.
Or are Scientists complete and utter wankers!? Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2019 at 10:38pm

Jasin wrote on Apr 12th, 2019 at 6:34pm:
Science's version of 'arranged marriages', is 'arranged breeding'.

Will they be building a Super Race soon?
I mean - those 'Ancestry' adverts are sure showing up a lot lately.
Or are Scientists complete and utter wankers!? Roll Eyes

Man is a bridge between ape and Superman......

When Madness Goes to Science.... just when you started to think it was safe to go back in the water after Social Science....... now the Gods of Fertility Treatment as practiced on the Spring Equinox on a mountain top at a full moon and surrounded by naked dancers when the signs are propitious due to the reading of the entrails of a newt and a comet has passed by.... and the moon is in the seventh house etc.... have replaced the nutters in the Social Science faculties, who are making big bread from uttering bullshit on a daily basis and governments are afraid to challenge their Delphic Oracular decisions on gender and intersex relationships and society as a whole......

And yea.. the mighty elect did tremble at their wrath and supplicate themselves at the feet of the Oracles lest they be struck down as blasphemers against the colour Black, or against  the ethnic kings, or against nature's bachelors, or, crime of crimes, against the Femmes Fatale Extraordinaire with their Modern Death Wish..... and the heavens did shake and the earth crumble .... and lo, mighty civilisations were brought asunder .....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print