Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jesus unwelcome in schoolyard crackdown (Read 2222 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Jesus unwelcome in schoolyard crackdown
Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:18pm

Anyone know what this actually involves for the 'perpetrators'?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/education/junior-evangelists-targeted-in-schoolyard-crackdown/news-story/e719eabc9778e812fd390bd2736a6373

Talking about Jesus, exchanging Christmas cards and encouraging Christianity have been targeted under an unofficial policy from education bureaucrats that takes aim at junior evangelists in Queensland primary school yards.

Queensland education officials have moved to ban refer­ences to Jesus in the primary school yard, with an unofficial policy that takes aim at junior evangelists.

Christian groups and free-speech advocates have expressed alarm at the recent edict from the Queensland Department of Education and Training contained within its latest review into religious instruction materials and warning that principals were expected to take action against students caught evangelising to their peers.

“While not explicitly prohibited by the (legislation), nor referenced in the Religious Instruction (RI) policy, the department expects schools to take appropriate action if aware that students participating in RI are evangelising to students who do not,” says the department’s ­report into the GodSpace ­religious instruction materials, released earlier this year.

“This could adversely affect the school’s ability to provide a safe, supportive and inclusive ­environment.”

Departmental policy defines “evangelising” as “preaching or advocating a cause or religion with the object of making converts to Christianity”.

Examples of evangelising cited in the review, as well as two earlier reviews into religious ­instruction providers, include sharing Christmas cards that refer to Jesus’s birth, creating Christmas tree decorations to give away and making beaded bracelets to give to friends “as a way of sharing the good news about Jesus”.

The clampdown comes des­pite each of the reviews into the religion lessons aimed at four to 12-year-olds finding no “major inconsistencies” with state legislation or departmental policies, procedures or frameworks.

The reviews were announced last June by Education Minister Kate Jones in response to concerns some instructors had ­exposed children to inappropriate concepts. The department has promised greater oversight of the programs, which are not compulsory and require parents to provide consent.

The Australian understands that several Christian education providers have raised concerns over the clampdown with both the department and Ms Jones, and sought to have the issue clarified. They believe there is no justification for stopping students who talk about Jesus or ­religion in the school yard.

Neil Foster, who teaches religion and law at Newcastle University, described the develop­ment as “deeply concerning” and “possibly illegal”.

“The fact is, there are administrative guidelines that go beyond what the law requires,” Associate Professor Foster said.

“It’s really overreaching as far as bureaucratic orders go.”

Centre for Independent Studies senior research fellow Peter Kurti described the department's moves as “a massive assault on freedom of speech and freedom of religion” that could have unintended consequences.

“I don’t think people are on the whole affronted by the ­handing out of Christmas cards,” he said.

“And I don’t think that children have the maturity to comprehend let alone evangelise.”

A spokesman for Ms Jones did not respond to requests for comment.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Re: Jesus unwelcome in schoolyard crackdown
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:21pm

freediver wrote on Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:18pm:
Anyone know what this actually involves for the 'perpetrators'?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/education/junior-evangelists-targeted-in-schoolyard-crackdown/news-story/e719eabc9778e812fd390bd2736a6373

Talking about Jesus, exchanging Christmas cards and encouraging Christianity have been targeted under an unofficial policy from education bureaucrats that takes aim at junior evangelists in Queensland primary school yards.

The less ignorance we allow in our schools the better.

Delusional fairy tales need to be strictly controlled and weeded out all together if possible

That doesn't not just apply other jeezus freak but all fkking religious cretins.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 6:53pm

No fairy tales in primary school eh?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:43pm

No invisible sky fairies, yeah!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print