Send Topic Print
quoting entire posts (Read 6913 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
quoting entire posts
Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:48pm

Some of the threads get a bit silly when you quote the last dozen or so posts, only to add a one-liner. It means you have to do an absurd amount of scrolling to check each response. Please go easy when you use the quote button. A good guide is not to use more than three embedded quotes - ie no more than one quote within a quote within a quote. Unfortunately the forum software does not allow me to impose this as a rule (or I would).

So if you get to that stage, especially in a situation where there is only one line of discussion in the thread, please just copy and paste the last comment and put a quote around it.

To do that, manually type in the quote code boxes, or highlight the text and hit the quote button (blue arrow pointing right).

Or, use the quote button to quote the whole post, then delete most of it.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: quoting entire posts
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:52pm

Amen to that.

Only a few people do it, but it's still annoying.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 7:36pm

I used to do that.....and now that I've worked out how to increase the text size so I can see it again....

I will again...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Gist
Gold Member

I am not a sock, I am
a human being!

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 8:44pm

freediver wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:48pm:
or highlight the text and hit the quote button (blue arrow pointing right).

What blue arrow pointing right? Anyway, I tried it by highlighting text and hitting the "Quote" button. That didn't work.  Sad

"When our military goes to war it should be for purposes and objectives clearly in Australia’s interests, not merely because the Americans want some company" - Malcolm Fraser (2012 Whitlam Oration)

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 9:05pm

Gist wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 8:44pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 5:48pm:
or highlight the text and hit the quote button (blue arrow pointing right).

What blue arrow pointing right? Anyway, I tried it by highlighting text and hitting the "Quote" button. That didn't work.  Sad

Have a look numptie. You know, with your eyes.

untitled_002.JPG (29 KB | 197 )
untitled_002.JPG

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 9:45pm

There's no need for that Soren. Not everyone has spent the last ten years playing on internet forums.

Also, if it is only two people having a back and forth with one liners, there is really no need to quote at all.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Gist
Gold Member

I am not a sock, I am
a human being!

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:10am

Soren wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 9:05pm:

Why thank you Soren for pointing that out. Too bad you didn't actually try it because it not work as advertised. Not with Firefox anyway. All it did was insert [ quote ][ /quote ] tags into the text box.

Never mind though, FD, I found the option you were alluding to is the "Mark and Quote" button. You need to reply to the thread, find the post you want to quote, highlight the words and click the button. That worked fine for me.

"When our military goes to war it should be for purposes and objectives clearly in Australia’s interests, not merely because the Americans want some company" - Malcolm Fraser (2012 Whitlam Oration)

IP Logged

darkhall67
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:55pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 7:36pm:
I used to do that.....and now that I've worked out how to increase the text size so I can see it again....

I will again...

How did you do that gizmo?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 4:39pm

Gist wrote on Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:10am:
Soren wrote on Jan 29th, 2012 at 9:05pm:

Why thank you Soren for pointing that out. Too bad you didn't actually try it because it not work as advertised. Not with Firefox anyway. All it did was insert [ quote ][ /quote ] tags into the text box.

Never mind though, FD, I found the option you were alluding to is the "Mark and Quote" button. You need to reply to the thread, find the post you want to quote, highlight the words and click the button. That worked fine for me.

Are you highlighting the text before you press the blue arrow button? Or just paste the quote between the tags that appear.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Gist
Gold Member

I am not a sock, I am
a human being!

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:58pm

I was highlighting the text and clicking the arrow button. No good. All I got was the start and end quote UBBC tags. I could do what FD was suggesting by quoting the entire original post, highlighting the bit I really wanted to quote, hit the right arrow button (which wraps start and end quote UBBC tags around the highlighted stuff) and deleting all the other bits.

I tried the same thing with several of the "quote" buttons with similar results until I finally noticed the "Mark and quote" button. That does as advertised - highlight a bit of text, hit the button and you get it pasted into your reply in between quote tags.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:23pm

I just noticed the mark and quote button. Well spotted.

I used to have issues with the quote button not putting the codes around highlighted text. I think you need to upgrade firefox.

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 11:56pm

I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, but do people have to do an IT course to know how to avoid posting an entire chain of posts in a reply? I would have thought the syntax was pretty simple:

(quote=blah blah blah)

**the text you're responding to**

(/quote)

**your reply**

......... with round brackets replaced by square brackets.

All you have to do is delete the predecessor posts.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 1:53am

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 9:10am 

freediver   Offline
YaBB Administrator
www.ozpolitic.com
in front of a computer

"My take on it is that you should include a link or URL. That way you direct traffic to the original article and improve it's google rank, which helps the author derive income from their work.

If you do that, they are not going to complain too hard.

It is also common courtesy for the other users of this board to save them having to google the article to figure out where you got it from and read the rest of it.

There are a few users who habitually forget. Please remind them. " - freediver

HERE -- above....  is an example of cut and paste.
When I use this ( my preference over the endless quote button), I always id the person from whom I 'm quoting. Or try to.

But the other reason I cut and pasted this is...??  FD said previously NOT to click links 'cos you get bugs!! ............fleas ticks leeches mozzies?? 

This is so, isn't it FD.? The posts in Q related to explicit pics.  But now you suggest using links as a ward against plagiarism.??

Well F Me ... !!  I think I'll do my usual thing.... use MY OWN words.  Without recourse to screeds of others' opinions repeated ad nauseum, which appears to achieve  SFA.!!!
Huh Roll Eyes Huh Cool

live every day

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 8:49am

I think most newspaper websites are fairly safe to follow links to. Other than that, you will have to use your own judgement.

Note that you can post sections of an article that give you the gist of what it is saying. You can't really do the same with pictures.

Why didn't you just post this in one of the more relvant threads?

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #14 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 7:39pm

?? I thought this was an entirely appropriate place to bring it to your attention. Smiley

Which other threads would you consider more relevant?  This is a 'learning' question... Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print