Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Are our banks in trouble? (Read 8436 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Are our banks in trouble?
Reply #15 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 8:38pm

freediver - oh, my system is not ....... perfect in any way at all.

It's pretty easy to work out if a stock is going up or down. There are many ways.

eg, suppose I buy a share for $1.00 and it goes to $1.15. It is going up and is a winner.
If it goes to $0.89c, it is a loser - sell it.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 10:37am

I am not entirely comfortable with concept of taxpayers propping up private companies. 

I can certainly see why it is done, but I do not like the idea at all.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 6:08pm

Good news: Rudd has done a backflip on his policy of uncapped guarantees for bank deposits. Swan was caught out on Monday saying that the RBA did not want a cap. The RBA released written advice on Friday (though not directly to Swan) that a cap was necessary.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 9:48pm

I read up a complex (for me) article in the australian about how/why the banks are in trouble.
It is to do with CDS (credit default swops) and a more retail version.
I'm not sure how they work, so can't explain  it here.

Seems to be a sort of intrabank method of paper (money) shuffling so institutions get what they want, without having to show a debt for it on their books.
As it is not on their books, unsure how much of it anyone has !!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 9:52pm

It sounds a bit like the first insurance policies - agreeing to share part of each other's risk - in this case the risk of a home loan defaulting.

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 10:14pm

They did mention that it is similar to an insurance.
Only these ones are not technically/legally insurance, therefore do not have to be regulated Smiley.

The more of the CDS people wrote, the more they got paid. How alluring !!!!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 10:46am

ANZ have reported to the market first decline in profit for a decade.

"ANZ has reported its first annual profit fall in 10 years, after its bottom line was hammered by the global credit crisis and the bank ramped up its provisioning.

But chief executive Mike Smith said Australia's fourth largest bank was "looking pretty good now" and could look forward to profit growth in the new fiscal year if financial markets settled down.

ANZ today posted a net profit for the year ended September 30 of $3.319 billion, down 21 per cent from fiscal 2007.

Cash profit, which is adjusted for none-core items, was $3.029 billion, down 23 per cent on the previous year.

The results, which marked ANZ's first profit fall since 1998, were impacted by a $1.426 billion increase in credit impairment charges on lending to $1.948 billion, along with a $700 million charge for credit risk on derivatives.

As well, ANZ's gross non-performing loans rose from $666 million in fiscal 2007 to $1.750 billion.

Mr Smith said while the growth in credit losses was "disappointing", the bank's "ability to manage and absorb this shows a high level of resilience."

Looking ahead, Mr Smith said market conditions around the world remain difficult and he expects those condition to continue.

"Market conditions globally remain difficult and unpredictable," he said.

"While we expect choppy conditions to continue in 2009, ANZ is well positioned to manage this cycle, to continue to invest and maximise the opportunities which arise."

But Mr Smith told journalists that if markets settled down, ANZ would see profit growth in fiscal 2009.

"If everything stabilises, and we get back on track, then I expect to see an increase in earnings," he said.

In fiscal 2008, revenue rose four per cent to $11.485 billion.

ANZ's cost to income ratio was 47.4 per cent, up 2.5 per cent, and its net interest margin declined 18 basis points.

Mr Smith said the bank's collateralised debt obligations (CDO) exposure was now out in the open.

"The (CDO) exposure is now all in the open and has been for some time," he said.

"This bank is actually looking pretty good now.

"We have liquid assets of about $50 billion, which equates to all of our wholesale funding for a year."

Mr Smith also said Australia was likely to avoid a recession and that the Federal Government had acted swiftly to shore up the banking system.

"Ratings of the whole Australian banking system might (have come under pressure) because of the reliance on wholesale funding, and that was exacerbated when countries around the world started guaranteeing funding," he said.

"Australia was left out in the cold but the government reacted quickly and that was sensible.

ANZ is looking for economic growth of 1.8 per cent, annualised, in 2009 and seven per cent growth in Asia ex-Japan.

"We will not go into recession, we will definitely slow on the back of the global slowdown but it's better to be aligned with China and Asia than with the US or Europe," Mr Smith told journalists.

Mr Smith also said ANZ's so-called "super regional" strategy, which involves the bank's expansion into Asia to tap into deep pools of liquidity, was still the right strategy.

"I am pleased that we are in this region. I still believe our strategy to create a super regional bank is the right one."

ANZ's Asia Pacific business grew net profit by 52 per cent in fiscal 2008, following its investments in AMMB Holdings Berhad, Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank and PT Bank Pan Indonesia.

But its institutional business suffered a 65 per cent fall in net profit as he global credit crisis impacted.

ANZ's core personal banking arm grew profit by 12 per cent, on the back of strong deposit income and lending.

"Delinquency rates while tracking above last year are being tightly managed," it said.

In New Zealand, net profit fell by 12 per cent.

ANZ declared a final dividend of 74 cents, taking the total payout for fiscal 2008 to $1.36, which was unchanged from fiscal 2007."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24540045-5014099,00.html

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #22 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:03am

We know now Rudd & Swan have stuffed up with these bank guarantees and the panic has started with people rushing to withdraw funds from smaller institutions and deposit them with the big 4.  Daily we are hearing of more and more mortgage trusts and lending houses freezing their funds or closing their doors because of the uneven playing field.

Those with the lesser ratings will no longer attract small depositors - and the taxes imposed on the larger investors will incur double the deposit fees.

We are going to be left with 4 banks only who will begin to swallow each other up as this crisis worsens.

It's incredible how our dollar has fallen to 62 cents - while the US currency remains the same and while we indulge in this currency swap with them - our dollar will take a further battering.

While the G7 & IMF run around like headless chooks demanding other countries obey their instructions to prop up the US economy - the quick downhill slide continues.

God Save America.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:42pm

overall rudd did ok withthe guarantees.
The institutin NOT covered are investment funds - they are of a higher risk style, so should not be guaranteed.
it'ld be akin to guaranteeing investments in shares.

Cash deposits are guaranteed.
The currency drop is due to the commodities boom finishing. There is less demand for the Aussie dollar.
This helps our exporters - which is good !!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 6:55pm

Are credit unions covered by the guarantee?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 7:20pm

I had to have a look for that one. Apparently yes.

"Credit unions and mutual building societies welcomed today’s decision by the Government to guarantee deposits with all of Australia’s credit unions, banks and building societies.

"The Government is reassuring Australians that their credit union, building society or bank is a safe haven for their savings," said Ms Louise Petschler, CEO of Abacus – Australian Mutuals, the industry body for credit unions and mutual building societies.

"We’re pleased with the Government’s strong and decisive move, which is supported by the soundness of our financial system," said Ms Petschler.

"The guarantee removes any worry for Australians and means that every deposit with a credit union, bank or building society has full Government support."

http://www.encompasscu.com.au/campaigns-campaign-2008-encompass-credit-union-welcomes-government-deposit-guarantee.html

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:15pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 22nd, 2008 at 10:14pm:
They did mention that it is similar to an insurance.
Only these ones are not technically/legally insurance, therefore do not have to be regulated Smiley.

The more of the CDS people wrote, the more they got paid. How alluring !!!!

They are not deemed to be insurance policies even though they act like them, because you do not need to own that which you are insuring. Essentially, you are betting on the credit worthyness of a CDOs and CMOs (collateralized debt obligation and collateralized mortgage obligation), without actually owning any of the toxic debt. If a CMO has what is called a 'financial event' such as restructuring or defaults, for example, then the holder of a CDS matures and is to be collected upon. The premiums and value of the CDS is set by the Hedge Fund that issues them.

This is all well and good during boom times as few CDSs are collected upon... but, the moment there is an economic down turn, which in itself a 'financial event', those nasty toxic CDSs come out of the wood work demanding payment.

This then creates a solvency problem for those who have to pay out on these CDSs as well as the debt default itself.

In essence then... we have more debt than we have the cash to pay for it.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #27 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:30pm

Quote:

Yes and this is the worry Sappho. It's good that Rudd is guaranteeing building societies and credit unions - I didn't know that - but that would be his limit.

Any other institutions (and banks) - have to pay insurance on deposits over $1 million and depending on their rating - it could be double that of a bank.  There is no security for lesser amounts - which means it won't be long before many of them go out of business.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:58pm

Any insurance charges on deposits would be applicable to customers.
There would be no difference between banks an building societies. It depends where the money is held.

ALL cash deposits are guaranteed.

The sky is not falling

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Oct 26th, 2008 at 10:04pm

mantra wrote on Oct 26th, 2008 at 9:30pm:
Quote:

Yes and this is the worry Sappho. It's good that Rudd is guaranteeing building societies and credit unions - I didn't know that - but that would be his limit.

Any other institutions (and banks) - have to pay insurance on deposits over $1 million and depending on their rating - it could be double that of a bank.  There is no security for lesser amounts - which means it won't be long before many of them go out of business.

All of this is only one aspect.

Don't forget that rudd also promised to underwrite interbank lending to free up the market. What happens then if ANZ lends to oh say... some Icelandic Bank... and that bank does not pay them back? Australian Tax payers pay back that loan... that is what it means for a govt to underwrite the interbank lending.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print