Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gardening is perfect for aging (Read 120 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 42339
Gender: male
Gardening is perfect for aging
Oct 2nd, 2026 at 12:42am
 

As you age, gardening becomes better for you
Back to top
 

Modern Classic Right Wing
 
IP Logged
 
Frank
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 60917
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2026 at 9:21am
 
Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 2nd, 2026 at 12:42am:
As you age, gardening becomes better for you




• Motherhood is wonderful.
• They grow up so fast.
• Age is just a number.
• You only live once.
• Everything happens for a reason.
• It is what it is.
• Time heals all wounds.

• [your banality here]
Back to top
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2026 at 9:30am by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.
 
IP Logged
 
Jasin
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 58272
Gender: male
I picked a flower today
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2026 at 9:27am
 
...by Simple Cyclist
Back to top
 

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.
 
IP Logged
 
mothra
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 36794
Gender: female
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2026 at 9:34am
 
Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 2nd, 2026 at 12:42am:
As you age, gardening becomes better for you



Both of my parents are avid gardeners and their garden is stunning. It's something they picked up when they retired and must have added buckets to the value of their home with all they have done off the sweat of their own backs.

They're in their 80s now so they can't do as much as they did but they have help where they need it and it brings them so much joy.

Dad goes through phases ... he's onto cacti now. He's got a little zone full of them. He was diagnosed with vestibular neuronitis a few years back which makes him constantly dizzy, terrifyingly. We're all very worried about falls ... he's already broken his hip ... but he gets around the garden on his walker, on the even paving he laid himself, and is just living the best life.
Back to top
 

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.
 
IP Logged
 
UnSubRocky
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Crocodile Hunter: Origins

Posts: 26496
Rockhampton
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2026 at 11:14pm
 
What if you don't want to age?

Should you set your garden on fire.... maybe do some human sacrifices?
Back to top
 

At this stage...
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 42339
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2026 at 5:32am
 
this season i have some tomatoes growing in wicking buckets and some in the ground.

the wicking buckets want watering less than once  a week.
in ground is almost daily. even then the moisture level varies too much

buckets have cardboard thermal insulation sleeves on the outsides

buckets are growing much better.

Back to top
 

Modern Classic Right Wing
 
IP Logged
 
Jasin
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 58272
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2026 at 8:36am
 
UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 2nd, 2026 at 11:14pm:
What if you don't want to age?

Should you set your garden on fire.... maybe do some human sacrifices?

Grin
Back to top
 

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.
 
IP Logged
 
aquascoot
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 38110
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2026 at 8:59am
 
Gardening is a flow state activity and, as such , very useful
A flow state is the ability to get out of your head.

Imagine you were asked to sit on a chair in an empty room with no stimuli.
Most people probably freak out fairly quickly.

They don't like what's in their head.
To " cope" they do a variety of things

Sweet food
Pot
Alcohol
Porn
Netflix
Social media.

These are not good ways to get out of your head
They are a crutch.

They weaken the mind.

How to strengthen the mind?

Become comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Gardening is a good starting point.
It's more uncomfortable then flopping on the couch, doom scrolling and chowing down on chippies.
Heat sweat stinging bugs and nettles muscle aches , dirty hands

From gardening you can progress to bigger challenges.

Surfing
Bushwalking
Mountain climbing
Starting a small business.
Public speaking.

Each of these requires you to get out of your own way to improve.
This sort of kills the ego.
Reconnecting to nature always kills the ego.

When the ego is reduced however, you are not a good consumer and you are not a good sheep for the authorities to keep beaten down.

The authorities, both government and big industry want you on that food, internet, pot, alcohol, Netflix state because you are a much better consumer and more compliant.

Do you see any encouragement to garden from those in charge.
Unlikely.

They like everyone to be a victim and stuck in the matrix.
Locked down, compliant, just stuck in their little box.

They hate any form of self improvement.
They foster dependancy , infantalisation, victimhood and the path of least resistance.
Makes you easier to control predict and market to
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Daves2017
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 3557
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2026 at 12:15pm
 
Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 2nd, 2026 at 12:42am:
As you age, gardening becomes better for you



Refreshing post as opposed to what so many others ( including I) fill these boards with.

I have a very small garden that is compatible with the amount of time I have to spend with it.

I love growing vegetables and enjoy sharing them at work with colleagues who often return the favour.

Just recently spent a couple of hours in the sun ( wearing a hat) and preparing my garden for summer.

I grow from seed and have planted a combination of vegetables and flowers and herbs.

Gardening is a lot of fun and healthy in many ways. Particularly I find being in and around dirt and plants helps me feel human and happy.

There is also so many routines that I need as a human. The watering. The planting. The harvest all interwoven with the seasons and our world’s weather.

It’s not a chore for myself but rather an essential escape from the need to consume immediately for gratification with money.

Exactly the opposite…. I get back what I put in with my care and tenderness after months.

Back to top
 

I’m voting for Count Binface!
 
IP Logged
 
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 42339
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2026 at 1:02pm
 
Daves2017 wrote on Oct 5th, 2026 at 12:15pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Oct 2nd, 2026 at 12:42am:
As you age, gardening becomes better for you



Refreshing post as opposed to what so many others ( including I) fill these boards with.

I have a very small garden that is compatible with the amount of time I have to spend with it.

I love growing vegetables and enjoy sharing them at work with colleagues who often return the favour.

Just recently spent a couple of hours in the sun ( wearing a hat) and preparing my garden for summer.

I grow from seed and have planted a combination of vegetables and flowers and herbs.

Gardening is a lot of fun and healthy in many ways. Particularly I find being in and around dirt and plants helps me feel human and happy.

There is also so many routines that I need as a human. The watering. The planting. The harvest all interwoven with the seasons and our world’s weather.

It’s not a chore for myself but rather an essential escape from the need to consume immediately for gratification with money.

Exactly the opposite…. I get back what I put in with my care and tenderness after months.




Sounds perfect
Back to top
 

Modern Classic Right Wing
 
IP Logged
 
tallowood
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Израиль Навсегда

Posts: 9492
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2026 at 1:18pm
 
Grapes, chilies and herbs grow easy here.
Back to top
 

עַם יִשְרָאֵל חַי
 
IP Logged
 
tallowood
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Израиль Навсегда

Posts: 9492
Gender: male
Re: Gardening is perfect for aging
Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2026 at 1:59pm
 
...
Back to top
 

עַם יִשְרָאֵל חַי
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print