Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trump's 2024 election promises: (Read 535 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Trump's 2024 election promises:
Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:15pm

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2024/04/politics/trump-campaign-promises-dg/

Promises Donald Trump has made so far in his campaign for a second term

By Piper Hudspeth Blackburn, Abby Turner, Will Mullery and Kenneth Uzquiano, CNN
Published April 20, 2024

Immigration

Trump has made immigration and the border a central campaign issue, successfully pressuring Republicans to reject a major bipartisan border deal last month and making a trip to the southern border on February 29, where he touted his previous hard-line immigration policies.

In a Des Moines Register op-ed published roughly a week before winning the Iowa caucuses in January, Trump vowed to use the “Alien Enemies Act to remove known or suspected gang members, drug dealers, or cartel members from the United States.”

“We will shift massive portions of federal law enforcement to immigration enforcement — including parts of the DEA, ATF, FBI, and DHS,” he wrote.

In a video posted on Truth Social in late February before his border visit,
Trump also promised to “carry out the largest domestic deportation operation in American history.”

We will shift massive portions of federal law enforcement to immigration enforcement — including parts of the DEA, ATF, FBI, and DHS.”

After the Israel-Hamas war began last October, Trump also promised to terminate the visas of “Hamas’ sympathizers.”

“We’ll get them off our college campuses, out of our cities and get them the hell out of our country, if that’s OK with you,” he added.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Trump's 2024 election promises:
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:16pm

Drug cartels

The former president has also made waging “war” on drug cartels a priority for his second term. If elected, Trump said in his November 2022 campaign announcement that he would ask Congress to ensure that drug smugglers and human traffickers can receive the death penalty for their “heinous acts.”

Trump also vowed to “take down” drug cartels by imposing naval embargos on cartels, cutting off cartels’ access to global financial systems and using special forces within the Department of Defense to damage the cartels’ leadership.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:17pm

Justice system

Trump has promised to use the Department of Justice to attack critics and former allies. In several videos and speeches, the former president also laid out plans to gut the current justice system by firing “radical Marxist prosecutors that are destroying America.”

“I will appoint a real special prosecutor to go after the most corrupt president in the history of the United States of America, Joe Biden, and the entire Biden crime family,” Trump said in June 2023 remarks. “I will totally obliterate the Deep State.”

Trump said in a campaign video last year that he would reinstate a 2020 executive order to remove “rogue” bureaucrats and propose a constitutional amendment for term limits on members of Congress.
I will appoint a real special prosecutor to go after the most corrupt president in the history of the United States of America, Joe Biden, and the entire Biden crime family.”

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:17pm

Crime

Trump said in two February 2023 campaign videos that if “Marxist” prosecutors refuse to charge crimes and surrender “our cities to violent criminals,” he “will not hesitate to send in federal law enforcement to restore peace and public safety.”

Trump added that he would instruct the Department of Justice to open civil rights investigations into “radical left” prosecutors’ offices that engaged in racial enforcement of the law, encourage Congress to use their legal authority over Washington, DC, to restore “law and order” and overhaul federal standards of disciplining minors to address rising crimes like carjackings.

Addressing policies made in what Trump calls the “Democrats’ war on police,” the former president vowed in a campaign video that he would pass a “record investment” to hire and retrain police, strengthen protections like qualified immunity, increase penalties for assaulting law enforcement officers and deploy the National Guard when local law enforcement “refuses to act.”

The former president added that he would require law enforcement agencies that receive money from his funding investment or the Department of Justice to use “proven common sense” measures such as stop-and-frisk.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:18pm

Foreign policy

Trump has continued his attacks against member countries of NATO, a European and North American defense alliance. At a South Carolina rally last month, Trump said he would not abide by the alliance’s collective-defense clause and would encourage Russia to do “whatever the hell they want” if a member country didn’t meet spending guidelines.

“NATO was busted until I came along,” Trump said. “I said, ‘Everybody’s gonna pay.’ They said, ‘Well, if we don’t pay, are you still going to protect us?’ I said, ‘Absolutely not.’ They couldn’t believe the answer.”

The former president has also previously pledged to end the war in Ukraine, though he’s offered no details on how he would do so. “Shortly after I win the presidency, I will have the horrible war between Russia and Ukraine settled,” Trump said at a New Hampshire campaign event last year, adding in another speech that it would take him “no longer than one day” to settle the war if elected.
NATO was busted until I came along. I said, ‘Everybody’s gonna pay.’ They said, ‘Well, if we don’t pay, are you still going to protect us?’ I said, ‘Absolutely not.’”

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:20pm

Economy

Trump has promised to extend the cuts from his 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, notably the TCJA’s individual income tax breaks. The former president has also talked about reducing the corporate tax rate from the current 21% to 15%.

“I will make the Trump tax cuts the largest tax cut in history,” the former president said last month at the Black Conservative Federation’s Honors Gala in South Carolina. “We’ll make it permanent and give you a new economic boom.”

I will make the Trump tax cuts the largest tax cut in history.”

Trump has also pledged to repeal Biden’s tax hikes, “immediately tackle” inflation and end what he called Biden’s “war” on American energy production.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:21pm

Trade

At the same rally in South Carolina, Trump pledged to impose “stiff penalties on China and other trade abusers.”

“It’s called you screw us, and we screw you,” Trump said.

Under his proposed “Trump Reciprocal Trade Act,” the former president said if other countries impose tariffs on the US, the country would impose “a reciprocal, identical” tariff right back.

It was the same pledge Trump made in a campaign video in 2023: to impose the same tariffs that other countries may impose on the US on those countries. The goal, the former president said then, is to get other countries to drop their tariffs.

It’s called you screw us, and we screw you.”

As part of a larger strategy to bring jobs back into the US, Trump also said he would implement his so-called “America First” trade agenda if elected. By setting universal baseline tariffs on a majority of foreign goods, the former president said Americans would see taxes decrease as tariffs increase. His proposal also includes a four-year plan to phase out all Chinese imports of essential goods, as well as stopping China from buying up America and stopping the investment of US companies in China.

Trump also said in February that he would consider imposing a tariff upward of 60% on all Chinese imports if he’s reelected.

The former president has particularly focused on China, vowing in a January 2023 campaign video to restrict Chinese ownership of US infrastructure such as energy, technology, telecommunications and natural resources. Trump also said he would force the Chinese to sell current holdings that may put national security at risk. “Economic security is national security,” he said.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:26pm

Has he given up on the wall? Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:28pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:26pm:

Trump also promised to “carry out the largest domestic deportation operation in American history.”

He's gunna send back 20 million of them across the Southern border.
What more do you want?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:35pm

Bobby. wrote on Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:28pm:

What more do you want?

But he didn't say what he was sending 20m off into Mexico Goober. I reckon it's out of his sneakers or his bible.  Which one do you think he's talking about?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:07pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:35pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 26th, 2024 at 9:28pm:

What more do you want?

But he didn't say what he was sending 20m off into Mexico Bobby.
I reckon it's out of his sneakers or his bible.  Which one do you think he's talking about?

I can't find it just now.  I did see that figure once.

However:

https://www.afr.com/world/north-america/how-immigration-turned-into-a-political-...

Mar 1, 2024

More than 9 million illegal immigrants have crossed the border since Biden took office,
heaping pressure on housing, jobs, hospitals and
schools and triggering a spate of 33,000 migrant crimes in 2023
according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:08pm

last time he promised to pay off the debt in his term.
he increased it by 30%

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:26pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:08pm:
he increased it by 30%

All people can do is pray that this time he'll keep his election promises.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:29pm

he increased it by 30%

Well, there is that, but last time he promised to build a big, beautiful wall from coast to shining coast, "this big, with steel reinforcement, can't go over it, can't go under it", he settled on 26 miles worth of steel slats instead.

Last time he promised to end child trafficking, he decided to wish Ghislaine Maxwell well.

But yes, as Bobby says, he's promised to extend his 2016 tax cuts. You know, the same cuts set to cynically expire at the end of his second term, which he failed to win.

On crime, Bobby, that's nice. Prosecute it. Problem is, he's committed so many he's already been prosecuted himself.

Perhaps he'd prefer to go soft on crime, it's hard to say. Has he ruled out pardoning himself in 2025 yet, Bobby?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:34pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:36pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Apr 26th, 2024 at 10:29pm:
he increased it by 30%

Well, there is that, but last time he promised to build a big, beautiful wall from coast to shining coast, "this big, with steel reinforcement, can't go over it, can't go under it", he settled on 26 miles worth of steel slats instead.

Last time he promised to end child trafficking, he decided to wish Ghislaine Maxwell well instead.

But yes, as Bobby says, he's promised to extend his 2016 tax cuts. You know, the same cuts set to cynically expire at the end of his second term, which he failed to win.

On crime, Bobby, that's nice. Prosecute it. Problem is, he's committed so many he's already been prosecuted himself.

Perhaps he'd prefer to go soft on crime, it's hard to say. Has he ruled out pardoning himself in 2025 yet, Bobby?

Cheers.

Karnal,
You wanted to know his promises -
I posted some of them from here:
https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2024/04/politics/trump-campaign-promises-dg/

is that still not good enough for you?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print