Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Blah Blah Blah Greta Thunberg Mocks World Leaders (Read 4850 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Blah Blah Blah Greta Thunberg Mocks World Leaders
Oct 2nd, 2021 at 12:34pm

‘Blah blah blah’: Greta Thunberg mocks world leaders in scathing speech
An exasperated Greta Thunberg has hurled world leaders’ words against them in a withering take-down of their failure to tackle climate change.

News.com.au
September 29, 2021

Youth environmental activists have called out decades of “empty words and promises” from world leaders as they demanded action – and money – to tackle global warming ahead of a pivotal UN climate summit.

With just weeks to go before the COP26 meeting in Glasgow, seen as crucial to the viability of the Paris climate agreement, campaigners used the opening of a three-day event in Milan on Tuesday to lambaste governments’ failure to address the crisis.

Swedish Greta Thunberg slammed governments for “shamelessly congratulating themselves” for insufficient pledges to cut emissions and promises of financing.

Hurling leaders’ own words back at them, the 18-year-old laid bare to delegates at the Youth4Climate event the gap between words and action.

“There is no Planet B, there is no planet blah, blah, blah,” Ms Thunberg said to warm applause.

‘There is no planet blah blah blah’: Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg delivers a speech to open the Youth4Climate event in Milan on September 28.

Echoing a speech by COP26 summit host Boris Johnson in April, she continued: “This is not about some expensive politically correct dream of bunny hugging, or build back better, blah blah blah, green economy, blah blah blah, net zero by 2050, blah blah blah, climate neutral blah blah blah.

“This is all we hear from our so-called leaders: words, words that sound great but so far have led to no action, our hopes and dreams drowned in their empty words and promises.”

Some 400 youth activists from nearly 200 countries gathered in Milan will submit a joint declaration to a ministerial meeting at the end of the week, as a lead-in to COP26 in November in Glasgow.

Ms Thunberg mocked a speech by British Prime Minister Boris Johnson in April, in which he likened climate action to ‘bunny hugging’. Douliery/AFP
“Our leaders’ intentional lack of action is a betrayal of all present and future generations,” Ms Thunberg said.

She said governments had been “shamelessly congratulating themselves while still failing to come up with the long overdue funding” for developing nations.

Ugandan youth activist Vanessa Nakate echoed Ms Thunberg’s exasperation at leaders’ lack of urgency.

“How long must children sleep hungry because their farms have been washed away, because their crops have been dried up because of the extreme weather conditions?” she asked attendees.

“How long are we to watch them die of thirst and gasp for air in the floods? World leaders watch this happen and allow this to continue.”

Ms Thunberg at the opening session of the Youth4Climate event with Ugandan climate activist Vanessa Nakate.

COP26 is vital for the effective implementation of the 2015 Paris Agreement, which saw countries commit to limit global temperature rises to “well below” 2 degrees Celsius.

The landmark deal aims for a safer warming cap of 1.5C.

But six years after the accord was struck, countries still haven’t agreed how it will work in practice.

Among long-overdue issues still outstanding for COP26 is how each country’s carbon cuts will be counted, as well as how the fight against climate change is financed.

Nations already suffering from extreme floods, droughts and storms supercharged by rising seas have called on developed countries at COP26 to make good on a decade-old promise to provide $100 billion ($A138 billion) each year to help them recover and adapt.

Some 400 young adults will meet in Milan before addressing and debating with ministers attending the UN climate change conference COP26 in Glasgow in November.

COP26 President Alok Sharma told delegates on Tuesday the summit was a chance for “developed countries to make good on their promise of money to support developing countries dealing with rising impact of climate change”.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Blah Blah Blah Greta Thunberg Mocks World Leaders
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 12:49pm

whiteknight wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 12:34pm:
Nations already suffering from extreme floods, droughts and storms supercharged by rising seas have called on developed countries at COP26 to make good on a decade-old promise to provide $100 billion ($A138 billion) each year to help them recover and adapt.

Yep. The chief of the Maldives is in that. And they are still building that new runway for for holiday makers.

And storms, floods and droughts have been with us since time immemorial and show no signs of increasing.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 2:22pm

Some people may be impressed by teenage tanties....most of us aren't.  Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 2:33pm

She did a great job.

More mature than most of the leaders.

Smiley

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 3:20pm

Yeah Blah Blah tells us her level of understanding. Wink

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 3:28pm

lee wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 3:20pm:

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 3:55pm

A couple of years ago, I said that in the last 30 years, I have not seen any significant changes in climate. The number of cyclones and rainfall varied from year to year. It was just as hot and cold during the summers and winters respectively. Our hottest recorded day had barely been approached in the last number of years.

Not to be undone in their brainwashing, some chicken little decides to pipe up to say "weather is not climate". Oh really??? 30 years is not a long enough time to see a change in climatic conditions? And then the next thing I hear from the same mob is that they blame fires and heatwaves on climate change, as if to say that neither could have occurred without human influence.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:22pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 3:55pm:
A couple of years ago, I said that in the last 30 years, I have not seen any significant changes in climate. The number of cyclones and rainfall varied from year to year. It was just as hot and cold during the summers and winters respectively. Our hottest recorded day had barely been approached in the last number of years.

Not to be undone in their brainwashing, some chicken little decides to pipe up to say "weather is not climate". Oh really??? 30 years is not a long enough time to see a change in climatic conditions? And then the next thing I hear from the same mob is that they blame fires and heatwaves on climate change, as if to say that neither could have occurred without human influence.

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Climate change is real - there's not a single person in the world disputing that fact (except you, it seems).

There's indisputable proof that the climate is changing.

The only argument is over what's causing the climate to change.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:24pm

lee wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 3:20pm:

She'd run rings around you, that's for sure.

I love it when grown "men" feel so threatened and triggered by a young girl.

Grin

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:25pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:22pm:
Climate change is real - there's not a single person in the world disputing that fact (except you, it seems).

So what part of significant didn't you understand? Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:27pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:24pm:
She'd run rings around you, that's for sure.

So she knows nothing of Australia. And blahs on about our evil emissions. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:24pm:
I love it when grown "men" feel so threatened and triggered by a young girl.

No you just love being in her "clique". Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:30pm

lee wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:25pm:

So what part of significant didn't you understand? Grin Grin Grin Grin

Significant climate change is real.

There's indisputable proof of this.

The only thing in dispute is the cause.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 4:33pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 3:55pm:

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

There's indisputable proof that the climate is changing.

The only argument is over what's causing the climate to change.

Only last night did I turn off the hot water system to save on power. But that was the first of October that I was able to do so. I have about a week's worth of hot water to use for my showers. Yet, it was only 2 weeks ago I was seeing minimum temperatures into the single digits. I live in Rockhampton.

Many years ago, even back in my university days, I could have a cold shower in late August. Mind you, that was for those 30 degree plus August days. But, I did not see many of those days in recent years.

I would say that the average days are getting cooler on average. So, the only argument for climate change is that we are not seeing the extremes that we did when I was a child.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 5:21pm

Belgarion wrote on Oct 2nd, 2021 at 2:22pm:
Some people may be impressed by teenage tanties....most of us aren't.  Roll Eyes

It is odd when most of us are the minority group ?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #14 - Oct 2nd, 2021 at 5:23pm

Greta is simply brilliant.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print