Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Easter mushrooms (Read 6871 times)
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Easter mushrooms
Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:16pm
 
I just went for a walk and Easter Mushrooms have broken out everywhere.
These ones have a very yellow underside.
I bet they are poisonous.


Back to top
 

Easter_musroom.jpg (164 KB | 27 )
Easter_musroom.jpg
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:17pm
 
And the tops:
Back to top
 

 
IP Logged
 
lee
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 21558
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:24pm
 
Yep. They are poisonous.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:34pm
 
lee wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:24pm:
Yep. They are poisonous.



I tried to identify it on Google and I can't.
I don't eat mushrooms unless they
come from the supermarket as you can never be certain if they are OK.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
lee
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 21558
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 6:07pm
 
They may not be. They may however be magic.

...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
freediver
Gold Member
*****
Offline


www.ozpolitic.com

Posts: 53355
At my desk.
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 6:23pm
 
There are too many varieties to identify using google Bobby.
Back to top
 

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 6:27pm
 
Bobby. wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 6:26pm:
freediver wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 6:23pm:
There are too many varieties to identify using google Bobby.



Google led me here:
I'm not sure -

https://botanyphoto.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/2010/03/phylloporus_rhodoxanthus/

If I was sure I'd pick and eat all of them.   Grin



http://bauble.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/phylloporus-rhodoxanthus.jpg


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 7:20pm
 
I went and got it and took some more pics.
It looks like the yellow edible one here:
http://www.fungioz.com/lactarius-mushrooms.html




Back to top
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2021 at 1:02pm by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:24pm
 
Give it a go then, whats the worst that could happen?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:40pm
 
rhino wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:24pm:
Give it a go then, whats the worst that could happen?


I don't want to risk illness.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Yadda
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 23017
A cat with a view
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:43pm
 
rhino wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:24pm:

Give it a go then, whats the worst that could happen?



Complete liver failure and/or death.


Like bobby, i only eat the supermarket 'varieties' of mushrooms.


Back to top
 

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:58pm
 
Yadda wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:43pm:
rhino wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 10:24pm:

Give it a go then, whats the worst that could happen?



Complete liver failure and/or death.


Like bobby, i only eat the supermarket 'varieties' of mushrooms.




I think I identified it:

https://www.ediblewildfood.com/delicious-lactarius.aspx


Delicious Lactarius


Do not eat any fungi that has not been properly identified by a qualified professional, some are DEADLY when ingested. All edible wild fungi MUST be cooked.

This is a mushroom that when reaches maturation, it can be spotted easily due to its vase-shape. The delicious lactarius is also referred to as the saffron milkcap and is one of the best known members of the large milkcap genus Lactarius in the order Russulales. It is found in many locations throughout Canada, the U.S. and in Europe. It is a favorite go-to mushroom in Spain and in Siberia. It also grows in Australia, Chile and Argentina.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Mr Hammer
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 25212
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 4:48am
 
Boil them in water and have a sip.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #13 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 8:30am
 
Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 30th, 2021 at 4:48am:
Boil them in water and have a sip.



I'm too scared.    Grin
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Yadda
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 23017
A cat with a view
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #14 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 9:13am
 
Bobby. wrote on Mar 30th, 2021 at 8:30am:
Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 30th, 2021 at 4:48am:
Boil them in water and have a sip.



I'm too scared.    Grin




Grin

.....something about, "Fools rush in...."


Back to top
 

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #15 - Mar 30th, 2021 at 4:56pm
 
Yadda wrote on Mar 30th, 2021 at 9:13am:
Bobby. wrote on Mar 30th, 2021 at 8:30am:
Mr Hammer wrote on Mar 30th, 2021 at 4:48am:
Boil them in water and have a sip.



I'm too scared.    Grin




Grin

.....something about, "Fools rush in...."





But they could be alright:

https://www.ediblewildfood.com/delicious-lactarius.aspx
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:44pm
 
No mushrooms tonight on my walk.

I went for a walk tonight and found these unusual orange fruits on 5 trees.
See pics.
What is that fruit? – it smells nice when I cut it open.


Back to top
 

 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #17 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:45pm
 
The fruit

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
lee
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 21558
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #18 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:46pm
 
I suggest you take samples to the Royal Botanical Gardens.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
freediver
Gold Member
*****
Offline


www.ozpolitic.com

Posts: 53355
At my desk.
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #19 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:49pm
 
The fruit looks a bit like tamarillo, but I don't think the leaves are right.
Back to top
 

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:49pm
 
lee wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:46pm:
I suggest you take samples to the Royal Botanical Gardens.



No - I think it's a common plant - I've seen them before
- I can't remember the name.
Maybe someone here could identify them?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #21 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:52pm
 
freediver wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:49pm:
The fruit looks a bit like tamarillo, but I don't think the leaves are right.


Yes - the fruit looks identical but the leaves
on these trees are long and skinny.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/home-property/nz-gardener/68363029/how-to-gro...

Tamarillo wide leaves:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarillo
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #22 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:20pm
 
A friend of mine is a genius and he found it:

SOUTHERN KANGAROO APPLE
(Solanum laciniatum)




...


https://edibleoz.com.au/products/southern-kangaroo-apple-solanum-laciniatum-seed...




Fruit - raw or cooked, must be thoroughly ripe because unripe fruit is poisonous. It can be used as a sweet fruit or as a vegetable. Fruit is sickly sweet and often bitter.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #23 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:23pm
 
https://www.daleysfruit.com.au/Kangaroo-Apple-Solanum-aviculare.htm

Specifications of Kangaroo Apple


...


An attractive small shrub with purple flowers, that are follow by bright orange to red fruits that are edible when fully ripe, but caution should be taken with them as they are poisonous when green. It gets its name from the shape of the lobed leaves which resemble the shape of a kangaroo foot. Found on rainforest margins, it makes an excellent pioneer. Kangaroo apple also make a good rootstock for grafting other solanums onto such as eggplants and tamarillos.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #24 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:26am
 
I ate one last night - the one pictured -
the Kangaroo Apple -
and I'm still here today so it wasn't poisonous.
They taste very nice and sweet.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
freediver
Gold Member
*****
Offline


www.ozpolitic.com

Posts: 53355
At my desk.
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #25 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:05pm
 
I think I'll give that one a miss, though it does look easy to grow.

https://www.anbg.gov.au/poison-plants/S-poison.html

Solanum aviculare

SOLANACEAE

Kangaroo Apple

All plants in this genus are toxic to some degree. Although the ripe orange fruits are sometimes eaten, the green berry fruits are poisonous, as are the leaves. The berries are attractive to children.

This is one I have eaten since I was a kid:

Solanum nigrum

SOLANACEAE

Black Nightshade, Blackberry Nightshade, Deadly Nightshade, Poisonberry

All plants in this genus are toxic to some degree. This plant is often the cause of child poisoning because of infants' propensity to eat the fruit whether ripe or not.
Back to top
 

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #26 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:13pm
 
freediver wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:05pm:
I think I'll give that one a miss, though it does look easy to grow.

https://www.anbg.gov.au/poison-plants/S-poison.html

Solanum aviculare

SOLANACEAE

Kangaroo Apple

All plants in this genus are toxic to some degree. Although the ripe orange fruits are sometimes eaten, the green berry fruits are poisonous, as are the leaves. The berries are attractive to children.

This is one I have eaten since I was a kid:

Solanum nigrum

SOLANACEAE

Black Nightshade, Blackberry Nightshade, Deadly Nightshade, Poisonberry

All plants in this genus are toxic to some degree. This plant is often the cause of child poisoning because of infants' propensity to eat the fruit whether ripe or not.



Thanks FD,
I think it's just good to know that you
can find such fruit in the wild even as you go for a walk.
The ripe fruit is not poisonous.


Green tomatoes are poisonous too but we still grow them:
https://www.farmzy.nl/en-gb/are-tomato-plants-poisonous

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
freediver
Gold Member
*****
Offline


www.ozpolitic.com

Posts: 53355
At my desk.
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #27 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:16pm
 
Quote:
Green tomatoes are poisonous too


If you eat a bucket of them.
Back to top
 

People who can't distinguish between etymology and entomology bug me in ways I cannot put into words.
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #28 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:19pm
 
freediver wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:16pm:
Quote:
Green tomatoes are poisonous too


If you eat a bucket of them.



I wouldn't want to eat even one green tomato.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
lee
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 21558
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #29 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:27pm
 
They are great in cooking.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #30 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 4:54pm
 
Ordinary looking field mushrooms were there today.
These ones were out on grass fields and looked
exactly the same as supermarket mushrooms.

...

Then there are also plenty of Kangaroo Apples.

...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #31 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 6:25pm
 
OK - I found some more wild mushrooms today
and a wild Rosemary bush.

I checked on Google images & I can't find this mushroom variety.

Is this edible?



Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #32 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 6:48pm
 
The NSW Poison Information Centre has reported that
this week 8 people have been hospitalised as a result
of eating poisonous mushrooms.

What wild mushrooms are safe to eat this season?


    Stephanie Bailey

Local News
They're popping up all over, so we reached back two years to an article that dishes the dirt on mushrooms, good and bad...



https://www.southernhighlandnews.com.au/story/5995350/do-you-fancy-some-fungi-fi...


...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #33 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:01pm
 
It could be the Amanita phalloides, commonly known as the death cap - the genus Amanita.

But they don't have the veil at their bases.  ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_phalloides


...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #34 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:48pm
 
Bobby. wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:34pm:
lee wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:24pm:
Yep. They are poisonous.



I tried to identify it on Google and I can't.
I don't eat mushrooms unless they
come from the supermarket as you can never be certain if they are OK.
Did the stems turn blue when you picked them.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #35 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:56pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:48pm:
Bobby. wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:34pm:
lee wrote on Mar 29th, 2021 at 5:24pm:
Yep. They are poisonous.



I tried to identify it on Google and I can't.
I don't eat mushrooms unless they
come from the supermarket as you can never be certain if they are OK.
Did the stems turn blue when you picked them.


No - no blue on them.
Here again after one mushroom was cut:


Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #36 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:58pm
 
No, the first mushrooms you posted.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #37 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:04pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 9:58pm:
No, the first mushrooms you posted.



The ones that were yellow underneath?
No they didn't turn blue.
You just never know with mushrooms -
they can look OK but kill you in 4 days.
3 different types shown here so far.
I'd love to have eaten them as they all smelt absolutely delicious.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #38 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:06pm
 
Poisonous. The yellow ones.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #39 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:09pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:06pm:
Poisonous. The yellow ones.


Are you sure?

here again

...

but some yellow ones are OK

https://www.ediblewildfood.com/delicious-lactarius.aspx
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #40 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:14pm
 
No Im not sure. Thats why you need to treat it as poisonous.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #41 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:28pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:14pm:
No Im not sure. Thats why you need to treat it as poisonous.



Yes - I agree - I picked 3 different types in the last month
and I didn't eat any of them as I couldn't be sure they were safe.


I remember going mushrooming when I was a kid and we got bucket fulls of them
but out on grass fields well away from any trees.
Field mushrooms are OK but all of the ones I posted here
were within 5 meters of trees -
in possible contact with tree roots -
so they could be toadstools.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #42 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:58pm
 
I only know how to pick out the medicinal ones.  Wink
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #43 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:00pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:58pm:
I only know how to pick out the medicinal ones.  Wink


You naughty boy.  Smiley
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #44 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:04pm
 
Bobby. wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:00pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:58pm:
I only know how to pick out the medicinal ones.  Wink


You naughty boy.  Smiley
Not for a long time. I remember though. They are all over the world if you know where to look. They grow in cow and buffalo poo. Occasionally you would find them in mulch or woodchips. They are big business selling to the tourists in parts of Asia.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #45 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:07pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:04pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:00pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:58pm:
I only know how to pick out the medicinal ones.  Wink


You naughty boy.  Smiley
Not for a long time. I remember though. They are all over the world if you know where to look. They grow in cow and buffalo poo. Occasionally you would find them in mulch or woodchips. They are big business selling to the tourists in parts of Asia.



Mushrooms or toadstools often inhabit the roots of certain trees.
They have a symbiotic relationship
which helps the mushroom and the tree.

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #46 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:09pm
 
Tribal shamans use them in traditional medicine for anxiety and depressive illnesses.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #47 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:14pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:09pm:
Tribal shamans use them in traditional medicine for anxiety and depressive illnesses.


This one was used for religious ceremonies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

...
Back to top
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:09am by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #48 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:38pm
 
There is an old Ozpolitic thread on it:

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1295890001
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #49 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:11am
 
Bobby. wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:14pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:09pm:
Tribal shamans use them in traditional medicine for anxiety and depressive illnesses.


This one was used for religious ceremonies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

https://s3.amazonaws.com/eit-planttoolbox-prod/media/images/Amanita_muscaria_cap...
these can actually be poisonous if dose is not correct, these should not be eaten at all.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #50 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:12am
 
rhino wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:11am:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:14pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:09pm:
Tribal shamans use them in traditional medicine for anxiety and depressive illnesses.


This one was used for religious ceremonies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

https://s3.amazonaws.com/eit-planttoolbox-prod/media/images/Amanita_muscaria_cap...
these can actually be poisonous if dose is not correct, these should not be eaten at all.


I'm not sure about that -
they look scary but
I heard it depends on the actual mushroom.
Most don't do anything if you fry one
up in butter and eat it.
Maybe cooking them in butter destroys the chemical in them?
Perhaps you have to eat many of them to get any effect?


...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #51 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:21pm
 
I went back to the same site and some of the mushrooms had flattened out -
which means they are showing their gills
for the next stage of their life cycle.
They don't look poisonous at all?

The one in the middle is poisonous -
it is a yellow stainer.

Back to top
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2021 at 12:32pm by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #52 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:45pm
 
All my friends are too scared to eat them -
they say that I could die but they look
like ordinary field mushrooms.
They were about 3 meters from a gum tree on a grass field.
Here's a close up.


This one is poisonous -
it is a yellow stainer.

Back to top
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2021 at 12:32pm by Bobby. »  

closeup_mushroom.jpg (147 KB | 26 )
closeup_mushroom.jpg
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #53 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 3:38pm
 
Bobby. wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 9:12am:
rhino wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:11am:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:14pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 11:09pm:
Tribal shamans use them in traditional medicine for anxiety and depressive illnesses.


This one was used for religious ceremonies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria

https://s3.amazonaws.com/eit-planttoolbox-prod/media/images/Amanita_muscaria_cap...
these can actually be poisonous if dose is not correct, these should not be eaten at all.


I'm not sure about that -
they look scary but
I heard it depends on the actual mushroom.
Most don't do anything if you fry one
up in butter and eat it.
Maybe cooking them in butter destroys the chemical in them?
Perhaps you have to eat many of them to get any effect?


[url]https://s3.amazonaws.com/eit-planttoolbox-prod/media/images/Amanita_m
uscaria_cap_H7z9yOfWVkWb.jpg[/url]
They are poisonous, your link even says it. Tribal shamans who use them are extremely knowledgable about preparation and dosage because they have been using them for thousands of years, but go ahead if you want to be put on the liver transplant list.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #54 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 4:56pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 3:38pm:
They are poisonous, your link even says it. Tribal shamans who use them are extremely knowledgable about preparation and dosage because they have been using them for thousands of years, but go ahead if you want to be put on the liver transplant list.


Actually it says:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria


Toxicity

a tall red mushroom with a few white spots on the cap
Mature. The white spots may wash off with heavy rainfall.

Amanita muscaria poisoning has occurred in young children and in people who ingested the mushrooms for a hallucinogenic experience.[16][45][46] Occasionally it has been ingested in error, because immature button forms resemble puffballs.[47] The white spots sometimes wash away during heavy rain and the mushrooms then may appear to be the edible A. caesarea.[48]

Amanita muscaria contains several biologically active agents, at least one of which, muscimol, is known to be psychoactive. Ibotenic acid, a neurotoxin, serves as a prodrug to muscimol, with approximately 10–20% converting to muscimol after ingestion. An active dose in adults is approximately 6 mg muscimol or 30 to 60 mg ibotenic acid;[49][50] this is typically about the amount found in one cap of Amanita muscaria.[51] The amount and ratio of chemical compounds per mushroom varies widely from region to region and season to season, which can further confuse the issue. Spring and summer mushrooms have been reported to contain up to 10 times more ibotenic acid and muscimol than autumn fruitings.[45]

A fatal dose has been calculated as 15 caps.[52] Deaths from this fungus A. muscaria have been reported in historical journal articles and newspaper reports,[53][54][55] but with modern medical treatment, fatal poisoning from ingesting this mushroom is extremely rare.[56] Many books list Amanita muscaria as deadly,[57] but according to David Arora, this is an error that implies the mushroom is more toxic than it is.[58] The North American Mycological Association has stated that there were "no reliably documented cases of death from toxins in these mushrooms in the past 100 years".[59]
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #55 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 5:22pm
 
Bobby. wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 4:56pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 3:38pm:
They are poisonous, your link even says it. Tribal shamans who use them are extremely knowledgable about preparation and dosage because they have been using them for thousands of years, but go ahead if you want to be put on the liver transplant list.


Actually it says:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria


Toxicity

a tall red mushroom with a few white spots on the cap
Mature. The white spots may wash off with heavy rainfall.

Amanita muscaria poisoning has occurred in young children and in people who ingested the mushrooms for a hallucinogenic experience.[16][45][46] Occasionally it has been ingested in error, because immature button forms resemble puffballs.[47] The white spots sometimes wash away during heavy rain and the mushrooms then may appear to be the edible A. caesarea.[48]

Amanita muscaria contains several biologically active agents, at least one of which, muscimol, is known to be psychoactive. Ibotenic acid, a neurotoxin, serves as a prodrug to muscimol, with approximately 10–20% converting to muscimol after ingestion. An active dose in adults is approximately 6 mg muscimol or 30 to 60 mg ibotenic acid;[49][50] this is typically about the amount found in one cap of Amanita muscaria.[51] The amount and ratio of chemical compounds per mushroom varies widely from region to region and season to season, which can further confuse the issue. Spring and summer mushrooms have been reported to contain up to 10 times more ibotenic acid and muscimol than autumn fruitings.[45]

A fatal dose has been calculated as 15 caps.[52] Deaths from this fungus A. muscaria have been reported in historical journal articles and newspaper reports,[53][54][55] but with modern medical treatment, fatal poisoning from ingesting this mushroom is extremely rare.[56] Many books list Amanita muscaria as deadly,[57] but according to David Arora, this is an error that implies the mushroom is more toxic than it is.[58] The North American Mycological Association has stated that there were "no reliably documented cases of death from toxins in these mushrooms in the past 100 years".[59]

so its poisonous. I told  you that already.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #56 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 5:25pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 5:22pm:
so its poisonous. I told  you that already.



It also implies that if you ate only one mushroom
in Autumn then it wouldn't do anything which
is exactly what I heard on the grapevine.
Apparently they taste very nice -
delicious fried in butter and bacon.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #57 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 5:27pm
 
Eat it then.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #58 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 5:35pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 5:27pm:
Eat it then.



I didn't find any of those:
You sound like the Indian here -  LOL

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #59 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 6:43pm
 
Went out again today - the mushrooms are everywhere.

More poisonous yellow stainers.



...


...


...
Back to top
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2021 at 12:34pm by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #60 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 4:03pm
 
I found plenty more field mushrooms today
that I'm sure are safe and edible.

Video showing how to tell if mushroom is OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OusLbOYb58c

Field Mushrooms
but the one on the top left is a yellow stainer
poisonous

...


But  then I found these under trees -
the top sides of what I'm sure are poisonous mushrooms.
The one on the top left
was being devoured by insects.

...

bottom side

...
Back to top
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2021 at 12:35pm by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #61 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 7:01pm
 
The first picture is of edible field mushrooms -
Here:
https://i.ibb.co/Zh2xRKL/More-field-mushrooms.jpg

the other 2 pics almost certainly show poisonous toadstools.
The video is really good .
If you scrape the field mushroom with a thumbnail –
If it bruises and immediately turns yellow or blue it’s poisonous.
Also you smell them.
They should smell like mushrooms not chemicals.
Also – underneath  - the gills should be tan to brown in color.
The older the mushroom the browner they get.
Those field mushrooms pass all tests.

My Mother used to take all the kids in the family mushrooming.
We used to get bucket fulls from farms – field mushrooms.
I am going to eat the field mushrooms.
If I stop posting you'll know I didn't survive.  LOL
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #62 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 6:40am
 
I cooked 2 of the field mushrooms last night
in butter and olive oil -
they were delicious.
I'll eat some more today.

...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #63 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 2:48pm
 
I ate 8 of those field mushrooms 2 nights ago -
they were delicious.

There are even more field mushrooms than before today.
I picked some of them but I also found a group
of large tall mushrooms under a pine tree.
I picked one and photographed it here.
I can't tell whether it's a safe  shaggy parasol as per here:
https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/14429/view/shaggy-parasol-mushrooms

or a death cap as per here:
https://www.kqed.org/science/523936/this-mushroom-starts-killing-you-before-you-...
They are very hard to identify.
Does anyone know?

...


...


...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Redmond Neck
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 24029
ACT
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #64 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 2:58pm
 
I dont like the look of the ones with the white gills,

the ones we used to pick when I was a kid were the dark grey gills as in your fry pan.

I think I would steer clear of that middle one as well.
Back to top
 

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #65 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 3:04pm
 
Redmond Neck wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 2:58pm:
I dont like the look of the ones with the white gills,

the ones we used to pick when I was a kid were the dark grey gills as in your fry pan.

I think I would steer clear of that middle one as well.



The 3 pics above - in my last post -
are all of the same mushroom.
It has white gills which is a bad sign -
it was also NOT growing in a field but
under a Pine tree -
another bad sign.
It does have a nice mushroom smell and
it doesn't bruise yellow or blue -
but it looks too close to the same as a death cap
for me to risk eating it - I would think.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #66 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 4:06pm
 
The only way is to grow your own mushrooms, I intend to start doing that soon. They are great as a meat substitute.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #67 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 9:43pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 4:06pm:
The only way is to grow your own mushrooms, I intend to start doing that soon. They are great as a meat substitute.



Mushrooms are a super food  -
an excellent source of nutrition.

...


https://www.hindustantimes.com/fitness/benefits-of-mushrooms-5-reasons-why-you-m...

Mushrooms don’t just taste nice. They also pack a nutritional punch as they are loaded with vitamins, promote a healthy immune system and boost your bone health. That’s why they are considered as a superfood. And for those looking for weight loss benefits, mushrooms contain no cholesterol or gluten either. Here are some of its scientifically proven benefits:

A study done by researchers at the University of Malaya in Malaysia found that including mushrooms in your diet can improve the health of your brain as it may enhance cerebral nerve growth and significantly cut the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s.


A team of Penn State researchers found that mushrooms are rich in antioxidants that could be used fight ageing and boost general health. The study suggests that mushrooms have high amounts of ergothioneine and glutathione, both important antioxidants, said Professor Robert Beelman.

Mushrooms are rich in Vitamin D. A deficiency of the vitamin can cause a slowdown of your metabolism.


They are high in beta-glucans which can fend off a cold by destroying disease-causing cells, and boost the immune system which has been weakened by chronic illness.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #68 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 9:56pm
 
Im trying to get as vegetarian as possible for health, cutting out meat means cutting out B vitamins, mushrooms are high in those.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #69 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:01pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 9:56pm:
Im trying to get as vegetarian as possible for health, cutting out meat means cutting out B vitamins, mushrooms are high in those.


It might be hard to grow your own as mycelium
has critical temperatures and soil water content
when it makes mushrooms.

That's why we only usually see mushrooms for a few weeks in Autumn and a few weeks in Spring.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #70 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:56pm
 
I can control the environment, Ive been doing a bit of research, plenty of hobby farmers growing all year round. Its not difficult to make spore prints.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #71 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:37pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:56pm:
I can control the environment, Ive been doing a bit of research, plenty of hobby farmers growing all year round. Its not difficult to make spore prints.



Have a go - people are doing that here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unclebens/comments/gy553g/i_made_a_b_spore_print_so_we_...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #72 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:42pm
 
Bobby. wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:37pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:56pm:
I can control the environment, Ive been doing a bit of research, plenty of hobby farmers growing all year round. Its not difficult to make spore prints.



Have a go - people are doing that here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unclebens/comments/gy553g/i_made_a_b_spore_print_so_we_...
Thats not the type of mushroom I was looking at growing, those things already grow wild on my property .
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #73 - May 1st, 2021 at 12:00am
 
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:42pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:37pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:56pm:
I can control the environment, Ive been doing a bit of research, plenty of hobby farmers growing all year round. Its not difficult to make spore prints.



Have a go - people are doing that here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unclebens/comments/gy553g/i_made_a_b_spore_print_so_we_...
Thats not the type of mushroom I was looking at growing, those things already grow wild on my property .



Really? - please show us a few pics -
it's that time of the year when they are everywhere.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #74 - May 1st, 2021 at 12:07am
 
Next batch I see I will post a picture.  They come up in the compost.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #75 - May 6th, 2021 at 11:47am
 
I found another one today.
I uploaded the pic to here:
https://fungusid.com/

And it gives 3 choices:
58.80% Tricholoma equestre

9.25% Tricholoma sejunctum

7.37% Lactarius volemus


They are all edible but it's not exactly the same as any of them.
I'm too scared to eat it.
3 views of the same mushroom:

Back to top
 

Mushroom_unknown.jpg (181 KB | 13 )
Mushroom_unknown.jpg
 
IP Logged
 
Brian Ross
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Representative of me

Posts: 46311
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #76 - May 6th, 2021 at 11:52am
 
Interesting green colour.  I'd avoid it like the plague, myself.  The middle brown one looks OK, there is obviously something eating it.  Any dead birds/animals in the vicinity, Bobby?   Shocked
Back to top
 

It seems that I have upset a Moderator and are forbidden from using posting to the general forum now. So much for Freedom of Speech. Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #77 - May 6th, 2021 at 12:01pm
 
Brian Ross wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 11:52am:
Interesting green colour.  I'd avoid it like the plague, myself.
The middle brown one looks OK, there is obviously something eating it. 
Any dead birds/animals in the vicinity, Bobby?   Shocked



It's not green it's yellow.
They are all pictures of the same mushroom - 3 different views.
The side is broken off because I did that to get
a better view of the gills.
No dead creatures anywhere - LOL
Back to top
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2021 at 12:07pm by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #78 - May 6th, 2021 at 12:57pm
 
On my mobile phone  the mushroom does have  a green tinge.
It doesn't in real life.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #79 - May 6th, 2021 at 1:43pm
 
I adjusted the photo.

I checked it with my mobile - it's correct there too.


Back to top
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2021 at 1:49pm by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #80 - May 6th, 2021 at 1:53pm
 
Wow - when uploading it to here:
https://fungusid.com/
with just that slight colour change it gives this:

12.14% Tricholoma equestre
11.80% Lactarius volemus
10.42% Tricholoma sejunctum
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #81 - May 6th, 2021 at 2:20pm
 
I reckon it could be this one:

Tricholoma sulphureum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricholoma_sulphureum

Tricholoma sulphureum, also known as sulphur knight or gas agaric, is an inedible or mildly poisonous mushroom found in woodlands in Europe. It has a distinctive bright yellow colour and an unusual smell likened to coal gas. It occurs in deciduous woodlands in Europe from spring to autumn.

...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Brian Ross
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Representative of me

Posts: 46311
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #82 - May 6th, 2021 at 6:43pm
 
Bobby. wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 12:57pm:
On my mobile phone  the mushroom does have  a green tinge.
It doesn't in real life.


Still looks greenish to me, Bobby. Roll Eyes
Back to top
 

It seems that I have upset a Moderator and are forbidden from using posting to the general forum now. So much for Freedom of Speech. Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #83 - May 6th, 2021 at 6:57pm
 
Brian Ross wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 6:43pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 12:57pm:
On my mobile phone  the mushroom does have  a green tinge.
It doesn't in real life.


Still looks greenish to me, Bobby. Roll Eyes


You mean this version?

...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Brian Ross
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Representative of me

Posts: 46311
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #84 - May 7th, 2021 at 3:34pm
 
Bobby. wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 6:57pm:
Brian Ross wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 6:43pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 6th, 2021 at 12:57pm:
On my mobile phone  the mushroom does have  a green tinge.
It doesn't in real life.


Still looks greenish to me, Bobby. Roll Eyes


You mean this version?

https://www.ozpolitic.com/album/forum-attachments/Mushroom_unknown_colour_adjust...

Still looks greenish to me, Bobby. Roll Eyes
Back to top
 

It seems that I have upset a Moderator and are forbidden from using posting to the general forum now. So much for Freedom of Speech. Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #85 - May 11th, 2021 at 3:15pm
 
Found these today - on a grass field -
a very tiny mushroom only 21 mm across
and did a search for each picture here:
https://fungusid.com/

...
25.00% Hygrocybe conica
20.64% Psilocybe semilanceata
8.74% Panaeolus foenisecii


...

6.20% Mycena leaiana
5.94% Hypomyces lactifluorum
5.32% Pholiotina rugosa

As you can see there is not a definite strike.
The ones that the artificial intelligence picks
are not growing on open grass land but on wood.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #86 - May 12th, 2021 at 2:42pm
 
Another one today.
All 4 pictures are of the same mushroom.
Unfortunately it's a yellow stainer  -
a yellow stain appears when it's rubbed with a thumb nail
and it smells of chemicals instead of a nice mushroom smell.

same as this one here:
Yellow staining mushroom (Agaricus xanthodermus)



Back to top
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2021 at 2:57pm by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
Neferti
Gold Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 7965
Canberra
Gender: female
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #87 - May 12th, 2021 at 5:15pm
 
Bobby. wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 3:15pm:
Found these today - on a grass field -
a very tiny mushroom only 21 mm across
and did a search for each picture here:
https://fungusid.com/

https://i.ibb.co/9gjpG3b/Orange-mushroom-unknownon-field.jpg
25.00% Hygrocybe conica
20.64% Psilocybe semilanceata
8.74% Panaeolus foenisecii


https://i.ibb.co/HxW8FwD/Orange-mushroom-unknown.jpg

6.20% Mycena leaiana
5.94% Hypomyces lactifluorum
5.32% Pholiotina rugosa

As you can see there is not a definite strike.
The ones that the artificial intelligence picks
are not growing on open grass land but on wood.



They look like toadstools to me!
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #88 - May 12th, 2021 at 5:51pm
 
Neferti wrote on May 12th, 2021 at 5:15pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 3:15pm:
Found these today - on a grass field -
a very tiny mushroom only 21 mm across
and did a search for each picture here:
https://fungusid.com/

https://i.ibb.co/9gjpG3b/Orange-mushroom-unknownon-field.jpg
25.00% Hygrocybe conica
20.64% Psilocybe semilanceata
8.74% Panaeolus foenisecii


https://i.ibb.co/HxW8FwD/Orange-mushroom-unknown.jpg

6.20% Mycena leaiana
5.94% Hypomyces lactifluorum
5.32% Pholiotina rugosa

As you can see there is not a definite strike.
The ones that the artificial intelligence picks
are not growing on open grass land but on wood.



They look like toadstools to me!



Yes - little orange mushrooms sure look like toadstools.


...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #89 - May 15th, 2021 at 5:51pm
 
I found another kind of small mushroom today
and it looks poisonous to me.

When checking the answers on this site
https://fungusid.com/
the closest seems to be the

Kingdom:      Fungi
Division:      Basidiomycota
Class:      Agaricomycetes
Order:      Agaricales
Family:      Tricholomataceae
Genus:      Clitocybe


The consumption of two species, Clitocybe acromelalga from Japan,[7] and Clitocybe amoenolens from France,[8] has led to several cases of mushroom-induced erythromelalgia which lasted from 8 days to 5 months.[9]
Clitocybe odora

Many small Clitocybe species contain the toxin muscarine, which was originally found in small amounts in the famous fly agaric. However, the small white Clitocybe species contain muscarine in dangerous amounts, and two species in particular, the closely related Clitocybe dealbata and Clitocybe rivulosa, contain muscarine in such amounts that
deaths have been recorded for eating those two Clitocybe species.

Back to top
 

White_mushroom_1.jpg (174 KB | 11 )
White_mushroom_1.jpg
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #90 - May 17th, 2021 at 5:06pm
 
Today - this one looks like another Tricholoma equestre.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricholoma_equestre
but I can't be sure.

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #91 - May 17th, 2021 at 6:02pm
 
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #92 - May 19th, 2021 at 2:07pm
 
Today I searched instead at the market.
Check out the prices of them.  Shocked

...


...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #93 - May 19th, 2021 at 3:53pm
 
I found these today.
They are very tiny - only 30mm across.
I don't know what they are.
They don't have any inky stains when scratched.
This site
https://fungusid.com/

says

37.43% Coprinopsis atramentaria
6.93% Psathyrella delineata
6.92% Psathyrella candolleana


...


...

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #94 - May 21st, 2021 at 12:00pm
 
I found another type today.
There were many at the base of a healthy large eucalyptus tree.
I can't identify it properly.
It has an offset stalk on all the mushrooms seen.

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #95 - May 21st, 2021 at 12:36pm
 
It seems almost impossible to identify random mushrooms that I find.
Therefore I can't eat them.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #96 - May 24th, 2021 at 1:18pm
 
I did a spore print for one of the mushrooms just above

Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #94 - May 21st, 2021 at 12:00pm

That is done by cutting the stalk off and laying it flat
on some paper for a day or so.
The spores drop out and make a pattern.
As you can see the spores are coloured brown.



Back to top
 

spore_print.jpg (151 KB | 12 )
spore_print.jpg
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #97 - May 24th, 2021 at 5:37pm
 
Found another one on my walk today.
I can't get a perfect match from websites.
I tried:
https://champignouf.com
and
https://fungusid.com/

The closest seems to be:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitocybe_nebularis



Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Brian Ross
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Representative of me

Posts: 46311
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #98 - May 26th, 2021 at 6:05pm
 
Back to top
 

It seems that I have upset a Moderator and are forbidden from using posting to the general forum now. So much for Freedom of Speech. Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122167
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #99 - May 26th, 2021 at 10:39pm
 
Brian Ross wrote on May 26th, 2021 at 6:05pm:



Thanks Brian,
yes I had already seen that.
It's a great video.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print