Forum

 
  Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  
 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Easter mushrooms (Read 6872 times)
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #60 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 4:03pm
 
I found plenty more field mushrooms today
that I'm sure are safe and edible.

Video showing how to tell if mushroom is OK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OusLbOYb58c

Field Mushrooms
but the one on the top left is a yellow stainer
poisonous

...


But  then I found these under trees -
the top sides of what I'm sure are poisonous mushrooms.
The one on the top left
was being devoured by insects.

...

bottom side

...
Back to top
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2021 at 12:35pm by Bobby. »  
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #61 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 7:01pm
 
The first picture is of edible field mushrooms -
Here:
https://i.ibb.co/Zh2xRKL/More-field-mushrooms.jpg

the other 2 pics almost certainly show poisonous toadstools.
The video is really good .
If you scrape the field mushroom with a thumbnail –
If it bruises and immediately turns yellow or blue it’s poisonous.
Also you smell them.
They should smell like mushrooms not chemicals.
Also – underneath  - the gills should be tan to brown in color.
The older the mushroom the browner they get.
Those field mushrooms pass all tests.

My Mother used to take all the kids in the family mushrooming.
We used to get bucket fulls from farms – field mushrooms.
I am going to eat the field mushrooms.
If I stop posting you'll know I didn't survive.  LOL
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #62 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 6:40am
 
I cooked 2 of the field mushrooms last night
in butter and olive oil -
they were delicious.
I'll eat some more today.

...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #63 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 2:48pm
 
I ate 8 of those field mushrooms 2 nights ago -
they were delicious.

There are even more field mushrooms than before today.
I picked some of them but I also found a group
of large tall mushrooms under a pine tree.
I picked one and photographed it here.
I can't tell whether it's a safe  shaggy parasol as per here:
https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/14429/view/shaggy-parasol-mushrooms

or a death cap as per here:
https://www.kqed.org/science/523936/this-mushroom-starts-killing-you-before-you-...
They are very hard to identify.
Does anyone know?

...


...


...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Redmond Neck
Gold Member
*****
Offline


OzPolitic

Posts: 24032
ACT
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #64 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 2:58pm
 
I dont like the look of the ones with the white gills,

the ones we used to pick when I was a kid were the dark grey gills as in your fry pan.

I think I would steer clear of that middle one as well.
Back to top
 

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #65 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 3:04pm
 
Redmond Neck wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 2:58pm:
I dont like the look of the ones with the white gills,

the ones we used to pick when I was a kid were the dark grey gills as in your fry pan.

I think I would steer clear of that middle one as well.



The 3 pics above - in my last post -
are all of the same mushroom.
It has white gills which is a bad sign -
it was also NOT growing in a field but
under a Pine tree -
another bad sign.
It does have a nice mushroom smell and
it doesn't bruise yellow or blue -
but it looks too close to the same as a death cap
for me to risk eating it - I would think.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #66 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 4:06pm
 
The only way is to grow your own mushrooms, I intend to start doing that soon. They are great as a meat substitute.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #67 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 9:43pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 4:06pm:
The only way is to grow your own mushrooms, I intend to start doing that soon. They are great as a meat substitute.



Mushrooms are a super food  -
an excellent source of nutrition.

...


https://www.hindustantimes.com/fitness/benefits-of-mushrooms-5-reasons-why-you-m...

Mushrooms don’t just taste nice. They also pack a nutritional punch as they are loaded with vitamins, promote a healthy immune system and boost your bone health. That’s why they are considered as a superfood. And for those looking for weight loss benefits, mushrooms contain no cholesterol or gluten either. Here are some of its scientifically proven benefits:

A study done by researchers at the University of Malaya in Malaysia found that including mushrooms in your diet can improve the health of your brain as it may enhance cerebral nerve growth and significantly cut the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s.


A team of Penn State researchers found that mushrooms are rich in antioxidants that could be used fight ageing and boost general health. The study suggests that mushrooms have high amounts of ergothioneine and glutathione, both important antioxidants, said Professor Robert Beelman.

Mushrooms are rich in Vitamin D. A deficiency of the vitamin can cause a slowdown of your metabolism.


They are high in beta-glucans which can fend off a cold by destroying disease-causing cells, and boost the immune system which has been weakened by chronic illness.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #68 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 9:56pm
 
Im trying to get as vegetarian as possible for health, cutting out meat means cutting out B vitamins, mushrooms are high in those.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #69 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:01pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 9:56pm:
Im trying to get as vegetarian as possible for health, cutting out meat means cutting out B vitamins, mushrooms are high in those.


It might be hard to grow your own as mycelium
has critical temperatures and soil water content
when it makes mushrooms.

That's why we only usually see mushrooms for a few weeks in Autumn and a few weeks in Spring.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #70 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:56pm
 
I can control the environment, Ive been doing a bit of research, plenty of hobby farmers growing all year round. Its not difficult to make spore prints.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #71 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:37pm
 
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:56pm:
I can control the environment, Ive been doing a bit of research, plenty of hobby farmers growing all year round. Its not difficult to make spore prints.



Have a go - people are doing that here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unclebens/comments/gy553g/i_made_a_b_spore_print_so_we_...
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #72 - Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:42pm
 
Bobby. wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:37pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:56pm:
I can control the environment, Ive been doing a bit of research, plenty of hobby farmers growing all year round. Its not difficult to make spore prints.



Have a go - people are doing that here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unclebens/comments/gy553g/i_made_a_b_spore_print_so_we_...
Thats not the type of mushroom I was looking at growing, those things already grow wild on my property .
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Bobby.
Moderator
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 122175
Melbourne
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #73 - May 1st, 2021 at 12:00am
 
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:42pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 11:37pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 30th, 2021 at 10:56pm:
I can control the environment, Ive been doing a bit of research, plenty of hobby farmers growing all year round. Its not difficult to make spore prints.



Have a go - people are doing that here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unclebens/comments/gy553g/i_made_a_b_spore_print_so_we_...
Thats not the type of mushroom I was looking at growing, those things already grow wild on my property .



Really? - please show us a few pics -
it's that time of the year when they are everywhere.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
rhino
Gold Member
*****
Offline


Australian Politics

Posts: 17179
Gender: male
Re: Easter mushrooms
Reply #74 - May 1st, 2021 at 12:07am
 
Next batch I see I will post a picture.  They come up in the compost.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print